Rodgers New Deal Announced: Biggest Pay Cut in NFL History

3 hours ago, Tooooon said:

I’m as happy as anyone about all of this but AR looks like a hobo who fell asleep on the beach then woke up and found a Jets jersey and helmet to put on 

Aaron usually looks crusty so this is nothing new. But crusty and 40 hits different. 

19 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

At least that's my understanding.

Basically a two year $75mm deal (but all guaranteed) ...the only question I had - is there additional salary in 2023 or 2024 - that would make it more than the guaranteed - but that doesn't look to be the case.

It looks like he took a $35mm pay cut.  That is absolutely stunning.

He converted a guaranteed 2 yr 110 million dollar contract to a guaranteed 2 yr 75 million contract spread over 5 yrs with a third year option for the Jets of 37.5 million.

So basically if he plays three yrs here, it will be for the original price for 2 yrs.   If not his cap hit of 70 million is spread over 5 yrs.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

He is all in, and the Jets are doing everything they can think of to make him happier. If he wants Cook, nothing I can do about it, lol. But it’s weird, he genuinely appears to be here because he believes this will be the situation where he can win. Hard to wrap your head around that as a Jet fan. I can’t believe I have to wait until ****ing MNF for the season to start. 

The Bold And The Beautiful Welcome To Bizarro World GIF by CBSWe Are Doomed Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Pretty sure some people didn't want him because he was a me first drama queen. So much for that narrative.

Ill admit I thought he had lost his desire to play and didnt want a guy who wasnt “ all in”. Combine that with his salary and potential draft compensation and I didnt think the juice was worth the squeeze and potential drama.

Seeing him here, happy, and all in to the point of giving back salary and committing to several yrs here, I'm now very happy that Joe D got him and he is here.

• Upvote 1

Its great but theres more then meets the eye here.  No one in their right mind is giving up 35 million dollars.  I could see a backdoor deal having been negotiated that rodgers gets a portion of the jets when he retires.  Like a fraction of a % or something.
I have no complaints about that

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

What if Sam Darnold gave the Panthers a $35M pay cut after getting traded by JoeD? 🤣

Woody Johnson should be tearing himself a new a$$hole running down the hallway to slap a contract extension on Joe's desk.

Joe should decline said extension and become a free agent. I bet there's at least 31 other owners who'd offer him $20m per to fix their team they way he fixed the Jets! Robert Kraft agrees with this message.

Joe Douglas twisted Aaron Rodgers into a pretzel! 🤣

I laugh at my own takes! 🤣🤣🤣

• This is a great contract by JD, and he should cement himself this point for an extension.  
  • This is not as big of a giveaway as everyone makes it out to be.  The Jets were obligated to pay Rodgers $58.3mm option bonus in September, with the cap hit spread over three years.  If Rodgers was on the roster in March 2024, including because he was injured, the Jets were obligated to pay him another $48.3mm.   So the Jets could have cut Rodgers in the off-season with only the cap hit, with Rodgers only making $58.3mm from the Jets.  So Rodgers just guaranteed himself $75mm over two years, not $58.3mm.  Fair for both sides.
  • The only way Zach stays on the team is on a cheap deal until he is ready to start.  That is no earlier than 2025.  Steve Young sat a long time too, and I am sure that was discussed.   Otherwise, we are trying to fix Zach for trade value/comp pick.  

On 7/27/2023 at 12:20 AM, Rhg1084 said:

For whatever reason Aaron loves the Jets. So very glad to have him

Yeah this is like if a supermodel came up to you at a bar and said she wanted to have your babies.

You’d be like “awesome!” and then inside your head, “but why?”

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its great but theres more then meets the eye here.  No one in their right mind is giving up 35 million dollars.  I could see a backdoor deal having been negotiated that rodgers gets a portion of the jets when he retires.  Like a fraction of a % or something.

Brady took less for years.   If Rodgers is about winning, then this makes sense.

If he is here for his golden parachute, then it doesn’t,

This tells me that he wants a couple more Super Bowl trophies more than every last cent he can wrangle.   He may make that money up in advertising in the NY and national markets.

Yeah this is like if a supermodel came up to you at a bar and said she wanted to have your babies.
You’d be like “awesome!” and then inside your head, “but why?”
Only if your scared.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk