Jets Training Camp Updates Aug 6

Lith

7 hours ago, JKlecko said:

You don't give up on players with that level of talent that quickly. Thank heaven JD isn't as impatient and foolish as Jets fans.

Becton and Wilson are former first round picks with fully guaranteed contracts. That’s the primary reason they’re here. I’m sure everyone in the building is hoping Becton puts together a classic contract year season in 2023, but I doubt anyone is holding their breath. Zach is just riding it out as a backup to a QB who rarely misses a start. Neither of these guys have a likely future with the Jets, but the hope -from the front office’s perspective- is that they play well enough and eventually bring something back in return, either in a trade or a future comp pick. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

JD and probably Woody still believe that Zach can be the future. I think getting Rodgers was about fixing Zach as well as being all in short term.

I think that you believe this, but that it’s ultimately not true. Zach’s contract is up in two years and Rodgers is talking about playing three or four more, himself. The Jets will have to decide before next season whether or not to pick up Zach’s fifth year option, which will probably be well north of $20M. What are the odds that they do that? Probably not very good -right?- if we’re being honest here. If Rodgers wants to stick for a third season, is Zach going to have an interest in signing on to be his backup for another year or two? And what does that contract look like? 

I think they’d be ecstatic to trade him before next season if they could possibly land a Darnold-sized deal, but that they’d probably take a lot less just to get the remainder of his contract off the books and bring in one of these journeyman backups. Otherwise, he’ll be the backup again next year and walk in free agency. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Zach Wilson has outplayed Rodgers in this camp.  Could you imagine someone telling tou that 3 weeks ago?

What an awesome sign for the jets and us fans.  Keep up the good work zach.  Jets fans will be ready for you in 2025!!!!

Thank you Joe Douglas, thank you. lol

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2023 at 11:30 PM, JKlecko said:

I agree regarding Zach.

The decision at TE is going to be tough.  Conklin, Uzomah and Ruckert are locks.  Yeboah is going to make it very difficult for the Jets to cut him and keep Kuntz.  I know that Kuntz is very athletic, but he didn't do jack in college even with all that athleticism.  I'd hate to lose a good player like Yeboah who also plays STs to keep an athletic prospect who isn't much of a football player yet.  Uzomah is popular and a leader in the locker room, I don't think he gets traded.  At least I hope not.  

It's looking like Bawden is making the team, so that means one less WR, TE or RB.  They already were only going to be able to keep 9 OL.  If they keep Bawden, someone else has to go.  At this point, I'd say that if Bawden stays, we're going to lose one of Yeboah, Kuntz, Brownlee or maybe a CB.

I think Kuntz is PS material. He's got a lot of work to do.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

yep, my son likes to go if the weather is nice.

got some nice autographs, here is Breece signing his football

IMG_6616.jpg

That is pretty cool.  Your son will remember that moment.  I still remember getting Hank Bjorklund's autograph at camp at Hofstra in the early 70s -- if anyone else remembers him. 

Your guy did better than I did, but I still have that Hank Bjorklund autograph in a scrapbook somewhere.  I think.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

That is pretty cool.  Your son will remember that moment.  I still remember getting Hank Bjorklund's autograph at camp at Hofstra in the early 70s -- if anyone else remembers him. 

Your guy did better than I did, but I still have that Hank Bjorklund autograph in a scrapbook somewhere.  I think.

think first time he went to camp he got Jamal's autograph.  hopefully this one will turn out better.

i hope and expect he remembers.  honestly the kids are kinda spoiled and don't often appreciate what they have.

2 hours ago, slats said:

I think that you believe this, but that it’s ultimately not true. Zach’s contract is up in two years and Rodgers is talking about playing three or four more, himself. The Jets will have to decide before next season whether or not to pick up Zach’s fifth year option, which will probably be well north of $20M. What are the odds that they do that? Probably not very good -right?- if we’re being honest here. If Rodgers wants to stick for a third season, is Zach going to have an interest in signing on to be his backup for another year or two? And what does that contract look like? 

I think they’d be ecstatic to trade him before next season if they could possibly land a Darnold-sized deal, but that they’d probably take a lot less just to get the remainder of his contract off the books and bring in one of these journeyman backups. Otherwise, he’ll be the backup again next year and walk in free agency. 

We can agree to disagree. Rodgers has a finite duration. It could be one and done it could be three but I suspect likely it is 2. As I stated there are other options to the fifth year option. If Zach feels he will be the starter again I could see him signing an incentive laid 2 year deal, which gives him a prove it year as starting QB for a tag or big extension. Plus like Rodgers I think Zach is happy. He is being tutored by his idol, and even more than that being groomed by him. That is pretty compelling. I think the Jets have zero intent on trading him. Plus the reality is that Rodgers is 39 and even with Rodgers superb health history there is not a small chance that Zach starts this year.

I was a full blown Zack hater and even I can admit he looks a hell of a lot better so far. That doesnt gaurentee anything but unless you are just plain biased and dont want to believe your eyes the kid looks better.

Still will likely bust but its nice to see him throw less dirtballs and actually hit moving targets. Its's only been one pre-season game but i'll take it.

For now. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Little video on why I see it the way I do

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

I was a full blown Zack hater and even I can admit he looks a hell of a lot better so far. That doesnt gaurentee anything but unless you are just plain biased and dont want to believe your eyes the kid looks better.

Still will likely bust but its nice to see him throw less dirtballs and actually hit moving targets. Its's only been one pre-season game but i'll take it.

For now. 

The only way to verify Wilson’s improvement is by letting him play this preseason. Impossible to take away anything from 5 passes. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The only way to verify Wilson’s improvement is by letting him play this preseason. Impossible to take away anything from 5 passes. 

I wasnt only referring to the preseason game, I was referring to everything I have seen thus far from him. I am not a believer by any stretch of the imagination and yes he needs more live action but the last few years? Good lord, I've have driven him to the airport myself.  At least now I'm willing to let him catch a cab.

btw, are cabs still a thing in NY or has UBER/LYFT taken over completely? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

I thnik Kuntz is PS material. He's got a lot of work to do.

I agree, but the story has been that with his great speed and athleticism, that he'd never make it to the PS and that the Jets would have to keep him on the roster. If he impresses the Jets' CS, I hope that they can find a way to keep him, but I'd sure hate to lose Yeboah or one of Brownlee or Gipson in order to keep Kuntz.

7 hours ago, slats said:

Becton and Wilson are former first round picks with fully guaranteed contracts. That’s the primary reason they’re here. I’m sure everyone in the building is hoping Becton puts together a classic contract year season in 2023, but I doubt anyone is holding their breath. Zach is just riding it out as a backup to a QB who rarely misses a start. Neither of these guys have a likely future with the Jets, but the hope -from the front office’s perspective- is that they play well enough and eventually bring something back in return, either in a trade or a future comp pick. 

I totally disagree.  NFL GMs and HCs don't give up on players with great talent the way fans do.  True fans don't give up on players so quickly either.

They may have their doubts about both turning things around, but I'm sure that they're hoping that they will, as that is what is best for the team.  Short-sighted, impatient, foolish fans who are spoiled by instant gratification are ready to jettison any player who isn't an immediate success or who disappoints them. Most Jets fans belong in counseling.  They have become irrational, cynical, and delusional in their expectations and views.  They're so afraid of being hurt or disappointed again that they give in to the knee-jerk reaction of negativity and wanting to fire everyone and cut every player that doesn't perform up to their unrealistic expectations.

13 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I totally disagree.  NFL GMs and HCs don't give up on players with great talent the way fans do.  True fans don't give up on players so quickly either.

They may have their doubts about both turning things around, but I'm sure that they're hoping that they will, as that is what is best for the team.  Short-sighted, impatient, foolish fans who are spoiled by instant gratification are ready to jettison any player who isn't an immediate success or who disappoints them. Most Jets fans belong in counseling.  They have become irrational, cynical, and delusional in their expectations and views.  They're so afraid of being hurt or disappointed again that they give in to the knee-jerk reaction of negativity and wanting to fire everyone and cut every player that doesn't perform up to their unrealistic expectations.

You’re a fun new poster. 

Would you be able to point me to an NFL QB who turned it around after a first two seasons as disastrous as Zach has had? I don’t mean just the statistically poor play, but the press conference where he alienated every one of his teammates to the point where the coach had no choice but to bench him? I’ve got nothing against Zach and I have no problem with him as the backup this year, but that would seem to be a steep hill to climb. Not saying it’s impossible, but I doubt it’s anything they’re even thinking about. Zach is simply an asset that the team has paid a premium for that they’re looking to get something out of at this point, imho. I’ll root for him now and in the future, though. I’m genuinely happy for Geno and his $75M contract, and I look forward to playing Darnold in the Super Bowl this February. 

As for Becton, I don’t get the impression that he wants to continue his career on the Jets, not that I suspect the Jets are looking to extend him, either. I hope he nets them a third round comp pick.