NY Jets Sign Dalvin Cook

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No he’ll be a big ol p ssy when he’s the next excuse for why Baker Mayfield sucks next season 

Unlikely you’ll see such excuse-making here. When other teams’ QBs don’t play well, they just suck.

7 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

They did it because they have other more important players to pay and Alexander Mattison is a more than capable replacement 

If Dalvin was still a top 10 or 8 RB, he'd be one of those "important players".

And Mattison is barely above JAG level.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Dalvin was still a top 10 or 8 RB, he'd be one of those "important players".

And Mattison is barely above JAG level.  

not sure if we can truly judge mattison yet.  he's definitely shown potential in some spot starts over the year.  and clearly the vikings think a lot of him, given they haven't really brought in much competition.  they are a playoff caliber team and seem to be entrusting him to be their lead back.

then again, if mattison is barely abover JAG level, i can only imagine what sub-JAG level a scrub like eno benjamin is...

• Haha 1

Just now, jetblue95 said:

not sure if we can truly judge mattison yet.  he's definitely shown potential in some spot starts over the year.  and clearly the vikings think a lot of him, given they haven't really brought in much competition.  they are a playoff caliber team and seem to be entrusting him to be their lead back.

then again, if mattison is barely abover JAG level, i can only imagine what sub-JAG level a scrub like eno benjamin is...

Healthy Eno at veteran minimum >>> Dalvin Cook for $9M and I'll go to my grave on that sir

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Healthy Eno at veteran minimum >>> Dalvin Cook for $9M and I'll go to my grave on that sir

the guy has 1 game in his career where he rushed over 40 yards.  arizona and houston, not exactly teams loaded with RB depth, have already tossed him aside, and pre-injury, he was probably a long-shot to make the saints.  not even sure how he improves the RB room over izzy, bam and carter (the latter two of which would be viewed as JAG players by any non-green shades wearing observer).  

while i think cook got more than what "I" thought he should, it's a 1-year deal with no long-term cap implications.  and he only gets the full $9MM amount if he's on the roster every week, rushes for 1,200 yards, gets 1,500 total yards from scrimmage AND the jets win the super bowl.

apologies for the source (florio), but it's the only one i can find at this time:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dalvin-cook-deal-protects-jets-against-suspension

The Jets did not hesitate to sign running back Dalvin Cook despite a pending domestic violence lawsuit that could, in theory, trigger a suspension during the 2023 season. But the Jets did structure the one-year deal in a way that gives them multiple significant forms of protection against a potential suspension.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, the deal ties a total of $5.92 million to Cook not being on the reserve/suspended list.

The contract has no signing bonus. Cook gets a guaranteed base salary of $1.08 million.

The contract also includes $1.2 million in per-game active roster bonuses. Cook gets $70,588.24 for each game during which he is on the game-day, 46-man roster.

Then, the deal ties $4.72 million to Cook being on the 53-man roster, active or inactive, or the injured reserve list or the reserve/physically unable to perform list. It’s paid out in 18 installments, at $277,647.06 per week. (The reference to Cook being on the PUP list apparently accounts for the possibility that he won’t pass a physical before the roster is reduced to 53 players on August 29.)

The $4.72 million is guaranteed in the event Cook’s contract is terminated, simulating the termination pay protection Cook (as a vested veteran) would have for base salary, if terminated after Week 1. (That would void if he’s suspended.)

This means that, if Cook should be suspended during the season, the Jets will avoid not only his weekly base salary ($60,000) but another $348,235.30 per week. That’s a total of $408,235.30 that the Jets will save during each week of any potential suspension.

It adds up to a base package of $7 million.

The incentives consist of a $400,000 payment for 1,250 yards rushing and another $400,000 for 1,500 yards from scrimmage.

Also, if Cook has 1,250 yards from scrimmage, Cook gets $205,000 for each postseason win, up to $820,000.

So the maximum compensation to Cook can be $8.62 million. To get there, he needs to have 1,250 yards rushing, 1,500 total yards from scrimmage, and the Jets must win the Super Bowl. He also needs to be on the active roster every week of the regular season.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2023 at 1:53 AM, Rich Thornburgh said:

They did it because they have other more important players to pay and Alexander Mattison is a more than capable replacement 

Alexander Mattison:  Currently rocking a super elite 4.5 yards per touch.  Doing so well the Vikings traded for Cam Akers.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

TO MY GRAVE, SIR

@jetblue95 @BornJetsFan1983

i thought we already did this, where i showed you too were fine signing cook to a 1-year, $5MM deal (same price i said i would give him).  given he's not sniffing those incentives, so he's  getting 1 year, $5.8MM

that said, i was wrong.  he sucks and is not a top 20 back

btw - eno (even if healthy) sucks as much.  saving woody money didn't move the needle for me.  cap space not a limitation given they still have almost $9MM in cap space

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think we'd be better off with Izzy Abanikanda as our RB2.  Cook can be our RB3 (or RB4 since MC serves a certain purpose).

Since Dalvin can't contribute on special teams, him being the RB3/RB4 serves no positive purpose.  He has to be the RB2 or nothing.

Cut him.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

cook is going to have some open holes now that zach doesnt suck hopefully. You will realize how wrong this is. Cook is not washed. He is a weapon the off will unlock in the coming games. Denver to be exact. He will have a big game.

Dude.  Same RBs, same OL, same scheme, and Cook is like our 5th best runner behind Breece, Carter, Zach and Ashtyn Davis.  By the end of the season I’m sure 1-2 other guys will pass him, too.

He’s slow as sh*t and can’t take advantage of the holes. He’s burnt toast. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dude.  Same RBs, same OL, same scheme, and Cook is like our 5th best runner behind Breece, Carter, Zach and Ashtyn Davis.  By the end of the season I’m sure 1-2 other guys will pass him, too.

He’s slow as sh*t and can’t take advantage of the holes. He’s burnt toast. 

first off carter is not better, neither are the others obviously. 

Hall is better no doubt, im not sure there is a better back in the league talent wise.