Not Looking Good for Mims in Detroit - Update: Mims Cut

mrcoops

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, I'm just reiterating what the consensus was at the time. I'm not saying that the consensus thinking was necessarily correct, the thought at the time was that Wirfs' best position in the NFL would be RT and that the Jets were looking for a franchise LT. 

Right.  I just think it is kind of silly thinking.  I, me personally, think Becton's best position in the NFL is probably RT.  I agree that everyone is always looking for a "franchise" LT.  Hell, even a serviceable LT is a valuable commodity.  OTOH, I don't think LT is like QB where you take a shot and it is better to have a small% chance at greatness than simple competence.  Or maybe that is just that there are so few competent QBs. 

As I said, I also think that Fant is probably better as LT than RT.  I think they would have been much better off slotting Fant at LT and drafting Wirfs, or even Becton, to play RT.  Then when Fant was hurt, or it was time to walk (this year), flip them to the left side. Which is what the Bucs did.  Instead, the Jets drafted Becton handed him the left side, acted like he was the 2nd coming of Jonathan Ogden, and then were surprised when he struggled with speed and his ridiculously gigantic body broke down.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Hope no-one was counting on the Jets getting that future 6th round pick.

This is some pretty faint praise that Campbell is damning Mims with:

I'm so glad the Jets traded Mims, even if it ends up being for nothing at all.  Addition by subtraction1

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, I'm just reiterating what the consensus was at the time. I'm not saying that the consensus thinking was necessarily correct, the thought at the time was that Wirfs' best position in the NFL would be RT and that the Jets were looking for a franchise LT. 

EDITED to say:  Sorry to quote you twice.  I know it is bad form, but this was on my phone and I posted it.   When there are a bunch of b's where spaces should be that means I have been using my phone!

Yeah.  I am sorry, but I wasn't arguing with you about what the consensus that the Jets mindset was at the time.  Just pointing out that the people that wanted Wirfs took into account the whole left right side thing.  Wirfs was the one who was a historic athlete at the position IMO and played a decent amount of LT.  Becton was huge and extremely quick and agile for his size.  Wirfs put up better numbers than many TEs at 320 with 34" arms.  HIs athleticism was much safer than Becton's IMO.  In this case, time has proven my opinion correct.

• Upvote 1

since we're talking Denzel Mims. remember the Jets had the 2.48 pick that year

they trade down to 2.59 - 11 slots - and Mims is still there. Besides being a huge red flag (like everyone else in the league is dumb and JD is smart)

look at some of the players taken between 2.48 and 2.59

2 - 48 - Seattle Seahawks- Darrell Taylor DE - Tennessee - Very good pick, 16 sacks in 2 years.
2 - 49 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Chase Claypool WR - Notre Dame - Good/Decent pick - Traded to CHI but way better WR than Mims
2 - 50 - Chicago Bears - Jaylon Johnson CB - Utah - Good pick, starting CB1 for CHI
2 - 51 - Dallas Cowboys - Trevon Diggs  CB - Alabama - Great pick, Pro Bowl CB    
2 - 52 - Los Angeles Rams - Cam Akers     RB - Florida State - Good pick - oft injured playmaker    
2 - 53 - Philadelphia Eagles - Jalen Hurts QB - Oklahoma - Amazing pick, franchise QB    
2 - 54 - Buffalo Bills - A. J. Epenesa     DE - Iowa - Decent/Good pick rotational    
2 - 55 - Baltimore Ravens - J. K. Dobbins  RB - Ohio State - Decent pick rotational
2 - 56 - Miami Dolphins - Raekwon Davis  NT - Alabama - Decent pick run stuffer
2 - 57 - Los Angeles Rams - Van Jefferson WR - Florida - Decent pick better WR than Mims    
2 - 58 - Minnesota Vikings - Ezra Cleveland OT - Boise State - Good pick starting guard    
2 - 59 -New York Jets -Denzel Mims WR - Baylor - Bad pick bought a French Bulldog from "Luxury Puppies" 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Looks like the percentage of crappy Jets players that leave the Jets and remain crappy elsewhere just ticked up from 99.8 to 99.9%.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Are there any? Geno I guess? 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

James Farrior, Jonathan Vilma, Demario Davis.

Case can be made for Danny Woodhead and, yes, Geno Smith (9 years later).

John Riggins and Hugh Douglas are 2 really good/great players who were let go and went on to be great elsewhere.  

That’s about it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

John Riggins, Hugh Douglas, James Farrior, Jonathan Vilma, Demario Davis.

That’s about it.  

And with Vilma - he was already a very good player with us (Won DROY in 2004 and was a pro-bowler in 2005 under Herm). That one is on stubborn Mangenius because he wasn't a perfect fit for his system. 

I'd argue the same is true with Hugh Douglas, to a lesser degree (won DROY in 1995 for us). 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

John Riggins and Hugh Douglas are 2 really good/great players who were let go and went on to be great elsewhere.  

That’s about it.  

Who da fugg needs AI

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s about it.  

All of these guys were good players on the Jets. A Jets bust playing well elsewhere…not sure if one exists. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

All of these guys were good players on the Jets. A Jets bust playing well elsewhere…not sure if one exists. 

For sure.  Geno may well be the only one, and of course he’s now the poster child for those who defend Jet busts.

Just wait 9 years and you, too, can lose in the divisional round!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair but you know how it is around here. If you don’t bend over backwards to include every possible example someone will seize an ax and chop down the scraggliest tree he can find and then proclaim that the work of felling the entire forest is accomplished.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  Geno may well be the only one, and of course he’s now the poster child for those who defend Jet busts.

Rob Moore another guy. Was good on the Jets.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It would totally help our odds to find a FQB through the draft if we keep every prospect for 9 years through multiple contracts just to be reeeeeeeally sure he’s not a turnaround waiting to happen. And by the way it took Gannon 12 years to be the guy so maybe even 9 years is too impatient.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they trade down to 2.59 - 11 slots - and Mims is still there. Besides being a huge red flag (like everyone else in the league is dumb and JD is smart)

2 - 48 - Seattle Seahawks- Darrell Taylor DE - Tennessee - Very good pick, 16 sacks in 2 years.
2 - 49 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Chase Claypool WR - Notre Dame - Good/Decent pick - Traded to CHI but way better WR than Mims
2 - 50 - Chicago Bears - Jaylon Johnson CB - Utah - Good pick, starting CB1 for CHI
2 - 52 - Los Angeles Rams - Cam Akers     RB - Florida State - Good pick - oft injured playmaker    
2 - 53 - Philadelphia Eagles - Jalen Hurts QB - Oklahoma - Amazing pick, franchise QB    
2 - 54 - Buffalo Bills - A. J. Epenesa     DE - Iowa - Decent/Good pick rotational    
2 - 55 - Baltimore Ravens - J. K. Dobbins  RB - Ohio State - Decent pick rotational
2 - 57 - Los Angeles Rams - Van Jefferson WR - Florida - Decent pick better WR than Mims    
2 - 58 - Minnesota Vikings - Ezra Cleveland OT - Boise State - Good pick starting guard    
2 - 59 -New York Jets -Denzel Mims WR - Baylor - Bad pick bought a French Bulldog from "Luxury Puppies" 

Wasn’t our WR coach 

2 - 57 - Los Angeles Rams - Van Jefferson WR - Florida - Decent pick better WR than Mims  

dad?

I remember really wanting him as our pick came up 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

“We want guys who love football!!!!!”

With his first two draft picks ever selects dudes who ******* hate football.

F7ABEF32-6848-484A-B54A-D908E4D605A9.thumb.jpeg.21ea368312b3dedde582f1de7b03df5f.jpeg

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fair but you know how it is around here. If you don’t bend over backwards to include every possible example someone will seize an ax and chop down the scraggliest tree he can find and then proclaim that the work of felling the entire forest is accomplished.

"Anything can happen and here's the evidence therefore stop beating that dead horse and let's see how it plays out and stop rooting for _____ to fail"

A few posters here can feel free to just copy & paste that if they'd like for future use.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Anything can happen and here's the evidence therefore stop beating that dead horse and let's see how it plays out"

A few posters here can feel free to just copy & paste that if they'd like for future use.

“I know it’s unlikely but it makes me so angry that you’re skeptical anyway!!!!”

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

He didn't know there were more pages if he swiped on the Microsoft Surface.

as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know

I believe Mimsy lives in a world of many more unknown unknowns than most. He just doesn't realize it.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There is a fine line between dawgs and dogs

Mims sucked almost from day on and I blame paradis

Someone with some time to kill needs to necro the Mims draft day thread one last time for sh*ts and gigs. 

43 minutes ago, jgb said:

“We want guys who love football!!!!!”

With his first two draft picks ever selects dudes who ******* hate football.

F7ABEF32-6848-484A-B54A-D908E4D605A9.thumb.jpeg.21ea368312b3dedde582f1de7b03df5f.jpeg

No way around it as much as I like JD:  Just a horrid, horrid draft.

The COVID excuse has some merit, particularly for a first time GM to navigate, but come on.  Have to be able to adjust a little bit.  He personally interviewed Mims TWICE pre-draft.

Fortunately things have gotten much better but that's still a big stain for him.

• Upvote 1