Joe Burrow Paid

GangGreened

9 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Which QB is going to get paid more than Burrow in the next 2 years? Mahomes already has a contract.

Potentially Lawrence if he continues his trajectory.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him enter that Burrow territory this season.  Doubt he'll ever be Mahomes level, but Burrow isn't on that level either IMO.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Facts said:

I don’t think it’s all that deserved.

Burrow is Kirk Cousins with amazing pass catchers.

I don’t see why people are enamored with him.

This is a remarkably poor analogy. Forget that Cousins is throwing to Jefferson, Thielen, and Hockenson for a moment, but just judging a QB solely on his stats doesn’t tell the story. Burrow has the championship level qualities that guys like Cousins, Carr, or Garoppolo don’t have. He’s a winner while Cousins craps the bed after 7pm or in the playoffs. Joe Burrow, otoh, takes out Patrick Mahomes in the AFCCG. He’s got that ice water in his veins thing. He doesn’t deserve more money than Mahomes, but it would be hard to list another QB who deserves more than him right now. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

This is a remarkably poor analogy. Forget that Cousins is throwing to Jefferson, Thielen, and Hockenson for a moment, but just judging a QB solely on his stats doesn’t tell the story. Burrow has the championship level qualities that guys like Cousins, Carr, or Garoppolo don’t have. He’s a winner while Cousins craps the bed after 7pm or in the playoffs. Joe Burrow, otoh, takes out Patrick Mahomes in the AFCCG. He’s got that ice water in his veins thing. He doesn’t deserve more money than Mahomes, but it would be hard to list another QB who deserves more than him right now. 

After last nights game I feel like Travis Kelse deserves more money than Mahomes. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Elite is top 3 at your position, in my opinion.

I don’t agree. I think top 10 at your position is elite. Especially positions where there’s several of that position on the field at once. I know that’s not QB. But there’s a good 10 QBs that are elite and 100% are a deciding factor if there team being good or bad.

46 minutes ago, slats said:

Forget that Cousins is throwing to Jefferson, Thielen, and Hockenson for a moment

Well it would be smart to throw that out, considering he has only had that group for about 10 total games in his entire CAREER.

Cousins had 34 TD's while only having Pierre Garcon and the corpse of Desean Jackson at WR (who only played half the year).

So yeah, let's not pretend like he has had studs his entire career. Not that Thielen or Hockenson are even studs at this point. Thielen is toast and Hockenson was traded for underperforming.

Burrow has the championship level qualities

Such as?

Moxy?

Poise? 

Lol. All those intangibles people like to throw out but they know it's impossible to quantify their argument.

He’s a winner while Cousins craps the bed after 7pm or in the playoffs.

Burrow has a 58.5% winning percentage.

Cousins winning percentage in Minnesota? 58.2%

Joe Burrow, otoh, takes out Patrick Mahomes in the AFCCG.

I will never understand why people like to attribute wins to 1 player, even if the player played poorly.

Burrow's DEFENSE took Mahomes out in the AFCCG. They forced 2 INT's, 5 QB hits, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 sacks.

Meanwhile, Burrow's playoff stats against KC are 61.5% passing, 3 TD's, 3 INT's. 

That's taking Patrick Mahomes out!? lol. Burrow just played a Ryan Fitzpatrick type game and let his defense win it.

He’s got that ice water in his veins thing. 

Based on WHAT?

This is just a cliche people say but have no backing for it.

but it would be hard to list another QB who deserves more than him right now. 

I could list several QB's who are better than Burrow.

Josh Allen - Allen has 6 TD's and 1 INT against KC in the playoffs. He just keeps losing to KC because his defense craps the bed.

Jalen Hurts - Super Bowl last season, played out of his mind.

Justin Herbert - Has a terrible team around him. Reminds me of Dan Marino. A great QB stuck on a bad team.

Trevor Lawrence - Will likely be on this list after this upcoming season. Jury is still out though, so this is a tentative naming.

Burrow is a good QB who everyone overrates because his defense propelled him to the SB one year (and he played terrible and lost).

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t agree. I think top 10 at your position is elite. Especially positions where there’s several of that position on the field at once. I know that’s not QB. But there’s a good 10 QBs that are elite and 100% are a deciding factor if there team being good or bad.

Top 10!?

That's 1/3rd of the league. 

22 minutes ago, Facts said:

Well it would be smart to throw that out, considering he has only had that group for about 10 total games in his entire CAREER.

Cousins had 34 TD's while only having Pierre Garcon and the corpse of Desean Jackson at WR (who only played half the year).

So yeah, let's not pretend like he has had studs his entire career. Not that Thielen or Hockenson are even studs at this point. Thielen is toast and Hockenson was traded for underperforming.

Such as?

Moxy?

Poise? 

Lol. All those intangibles people like to throw out but they know it's impossible to quantify their argument.

I will never understand why people like to attribute wins to 1 player, even if the player played poorly.

Burrow's DEFENSE took Mahomes out in the AFCCG. They forced 2 INT's, 5 QB hits, 1 Forced Fumble, and 4 sacks.

Meanwhile, Burrow's playoff stats against KC are 61.5% passing, 3 TD's, 3 INT's. 

That's taking Patrick Mahomes out!? lol. Burrow just played a Ryan Fitzpatrick type game and let his defense win it.

Based on WHAT?

This is just a cliche people say but have no backing for it.

I could list several QB's who are better than Burrow.

Josh Allen - Allen has 6 TD's and 1 INT against KC in the playoffs. He just keeps losing to KC because his defense craps the bed.

Jalen Hurts - Super Bowl last season, played out of his mind.

Justin Herbert - Has a terrible team around him. Reminds me of Dan Marino. A great QB stuck on a bad team.

Trevor Lawrence - Will likely be on this list after this upcoming season. Jury is still out though, so this is a tentative naming.

Burrow is a good QB who everyone overrates because his defense propelled him to the SB one year (and he played terrible and lost).

Disagree GIF by Beverley Mitchell

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Facts said:

Season 9 Episode 25 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

37 minutes ago, Facts said:

nathan fillion castle GIF

20 minutes ago, Facts said:

Top 10!?

That's 1/3rd of the league. 

For QB yes.

But are you telling me all these guys aren’t HUGE factors for there team?

Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Burrow, Herbert, Rodgers, Jackson, Lawerence, etc. That’s 8 guys at a position you only play 1 guy at.

Every other position has several guys out there. I’ll use WR as an example…

So only Jefferson, Adams and Hill are elite? Chase, Lamb, Kupp, Brown, etc aren’t?

If you’re a BIG difference maker. For me that makes you elite.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Mahomes' contract is designed to be re-structured.

If Mahomes was from the Mevi$ school, he'd be holding out next season......

1 hour ago, slats said:

A good argument was made to give Chris Jones more than 10% of the cap, too. 

Actually, the Chiefs defense played well. They only gave up 14 points.  

This contract (and other second contracts paid to QBs) illustrate why nothing is being "handed" to rookie QBs who start right away. It debunks the theory that rookie starting QBs have no motivation.  The difference between top QB draft choice QB pay and second contract starting QB pay is enormous.  Burrown, Mahomes, Watson, Allen  and even D Jones are getting 2-8 year contracts that pay $40-55 million per with guarantees over $200 million.  Rookie QB contracts over 4 years are worth between$5-8 million a year.  

Yes, It's big money to make $30 million, but the QBs make that whether they start or not as rookies. They are all playing for that second deal, which is incredibly motivating. They are also inherently internally competitive professional athletes. All rookie QBs are playing for that golden goose of a second contract and that is incredible motivation.