Wilson's Game Film

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Zach was not terrible last week.  He stepped in as a backup and won the game.  He was not the 2nd pick in the draft.

I don't think Zach can be Mark Sanchez with this team, but if he can keep at what he did, he will make himself alot of money, and maybe get the Jets a Wild Card running behind Hall and Cook.

The Jets had a winning record last year.  They lost Hall and AVT and everything collapsed.  There was no Rodgers.  Now there is Hall and Izzy.  I think they may repeat the plan.  

It just sucks when jets develop a very good team overall we have to find the excuse “ we can win with this barely average qb “ That was the sole reason why Rodgers was brought it. Sure this team is that good, it can maybe get by with Zach.

I know there is no obvious solution to replacing a qb like Aaron. Take a look at history, there were plenty of guys that were hidden on bench, CFL, , ect that came out and balled right away when given the chance. I really hope we can find that guy and not just settle for Zach this yr. He will get his chance in a few games I think. It’s too early for teams to raise the white flag for the yr and trade their backup. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Every Throw from Zach Wilson

Thanks for posting that. I watched it twice; once for Zach and once for the O-line. I saw some bad, I saw some good. But reviewing that gave me a different perspective from watching it in real time--- Hack is definitely a better OC than MLF. The play calling was coherent, and effective. The Jets moved the ball efficiently despite the ensuing chaos of losing AR so quickly in the game. Lazard made some great catches. Overall, the team kept their cool and never quit.

I'm definitely glass is half full going into Dallass on Sunday. 

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I've been depressed since Rodgers went down. I highly doubted Zach would ever be an NFL QB, and thought the only chance he had was to sit behind Aaron for a couple/few years. So when he played Monday, my mental filter viewed everything he did negatively. 

I just watched "Zach Wilson EVERY THROW - Week 1 - New York Jets vs Buffalo Bills Highlights" on YouTube. I'm trying to self-help and take myself off suicide watch, so here are some takeaways. I promise I am trying to positively slant everything towards ZW (thank you Robert S) as much as I can: 

1. The pick was inexcusable. Middle of the field stare down. However, I assume Hackett is going to emphasize "stay away from the middle of the field" and scream at him about the stare downs. It's been well documented how Rodgers doesn't throw picks b/c he stays away from the middle of the field. Rodgers throws lots of screens, check down, quick passes to the edges, and then hits long go routes that aren't interception prone. There's no secret to it. Zach, stay away from the middle, period. The stare down speaks to Zach not being able to mentally handle the game. He did not seem to continue that crap all game long.

2. He did not compound issues after the pick.

3. He had one inexcusable dirt ball. Glad it wasn't more.

4. I assume at all times he is so scared and in the back of his head at all times, but if I'm being honest after looking at the film, he looked more comfortable. 

5. The easy throws and check downs looked okay.

6. The big run backwards avoided a sack, and I hate the running backwards even worse than Peyton.

7. The 3rd down throw to GW to set up the touchdown was great. 

8. Multiple good throws on time.

9. Touchdown to GW was all GW. Not where the ball should have been, but he gave his playmaker a chance. 

10. The offense was set for Aaron. Game prep was with Aaron in mind. Dallas D is legit, but all prep this week revolves around Zach. Nathaniel has had critics, but I think it's night and day between him and MLF in terms of now having more competence with the OC.

11. The o line was not great.

All this is to say, I might actually watch the game Sunday. 

A few thoughts...

Zack had no first team reps in practice for this game.

The game plan was designed to capitalize on Rodger's strenths and was not tailored to Zack's strengths.

This was the first time the regular five O-linmen played together. They should get better as the season progresses.

Therefore, I expect he will look better in the coming game. However, even he plays well, we still might lose. The Cowboys are a good team with a tough defense.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I agree with this assessment, but I would like to point out that even great QBs make stupid mistakes. Luckily for us, the QB we were playing against made a bunch more.

Since you rewatched the game, I will take your word for it, but I thought that 'dirt ball' was intentional as the WR wasn't open.

The play you’re talking about, I think, was with 2:58 left in the 1st Q. He’s throwing at a receivers feet as a “throw away.” No problem at all.

The play I’m talking about is with 2:49 left in the 3rd Q. He has protection, takes a 3 step drop, steps into it and throws a pass right to the dirt in front of Lazard. Ugh.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Just like I wouldn't declare a rookie QB a bust after one game, I wouldn't declare a bust QB cured after one. Even if he threw for 300 yards and 3 TDs.

I think The Great Bill Walsh said you know what you have in a QB after 25 starts. Zach is there in a few games. Overall, it ain’t looking good.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

21 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I think The Great Bill Walsh said you know what you have in a QB after 25 starts. Zach is there in a few games. Overall, it ain’t looking good.

I thought it was a season and a half, but I might be wrong.

And I think he's misquoted or at least his words are misunderstood. Obviously if a guy averages 350 yards and 2 TDs over his first six games, you know you got a winner. I think what Walsh was really saying is it's too early to completely write a guy off before a season and a half of (mostly) bad play.

• Upvote 2

They threw more screens in this one game than they did in two seasons with the floor. And they developed nicely which calmed down the pass rush.

I think Hackett will utilize Wilson’s athleticism in the coming weeks. I didn’t like the play calling in the red zone. Terrified to take a shot in the end zone, like his father. And played for a fg after long breece hall run.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

It just sucks when jets develop a very good team overall we have to find the excuse “ we can win with this barely average qb “ That was the sole reason why Rodgers was brought it. Sure this team is that good, it can maybe get by with Zach.

I know there is no obvious solution to replacing a qb like Aaron. Take a look at history, there were plenty of guys that were hidden on bench, CFL, , ect that came out and balled right away when given the chance. I really hope we can find that guy and not just settle for Zach this yr. He will get his chance in a few games I think. It’s too early for teams to raise the white flag for the yr and trade their backup. 

I suspect ZW will be replaced but we'll see by who (and when).  Ray Lucas almost saved us back in 1999 but BP waited too long to give him a shot.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

I thought it was a season and a half, but I might be wrong.

And I think he's misquoted or at least his words are misunderstood. Obviously if a guy averages 350 yards and 2 TDs over his first six games, you know you got a winner. I think what Walsh was really saying is it's too early to completely write a guy off before a season and a half of (mostly) bad play.

You’re probably right. I’ve heard it quoted in the context of you don’t need 3-4 years to find out what you have. If you’re 25 games in, you know what you’ve got.

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I get the feeling Zach doesn't love hearing all his teammates try to give him pep talks.  My hunch (based on his reactions) is that he doesn't want to be viewed as "adversity guy".  He just wants to be the QB and sees himself as one of the guys.  I liked Hackett's words though about not getting too high or low.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, BP said:

They threw more screens in this one game than they did in two seasons with the floor. And they developed nicely which calmed down the pass rush.

I think Hackett will utilize Wilson’s athleticism in the coming weeks. I didn’t like the play calling in the red zone. Terrified to take a shot in the end zone, like his father. And played for a fg after long breece hall run.

I screamed “NO!!!” After that  run. People looked at me but quickly realize, uh, oh yeah, 

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I suspect ZW will be replaced but we'll see by who (and when).  Ray Lucas almost saved us back in 1999 but BP waited too long to give him a shot.

That was fun to watch. Ryan Fitzpatrick in 2015 was a nice surprise. Should have made playoffs that yr. If we could find numbers like that from someone, this team can go far. Maybe they give Streveler a call at very worst. When Zach was giving worst qb performance in nfl history in Jax, he came in and right away got the chains moving..

• Thumb Down 3

Long time Zach pessimist here. I had the chance to review the tape and:

Positives:

1. He seems more comfortable in this offense than in the prior offense. 

2. He's doing a better job of hitting the dump off quick when the first read isn't open.

3. I saw at least once nice throw with anticipation (downfield throw to Lazard).

4. I even saw him step up in the pocket a few times. 

Negatives:

1. He is still maybe the most skittish pro QB I've ever seen and that is always going to cap his ability as a QB no matter how good his arm and release are. I HIGHLY doubt we will ever see significant improvement here. 

2. It is an abject disaster almost every time he starts scrambling around back there. Why it is his third season and he still hasn't figured out to just throw it out of bounds is beyond me. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF? 2

5 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

Just found this of all his throws ,a little  jumpy at first but there are some different angles on plays that show more of what Zack was dealing with. The falling down throw after getting tripped by AVT that he makes to Lazard at the 2:37 mark is incredible.  And being able to pause and play his mad backwards scramble I can better understand what he had no time to avoid and then his ability to do what he had to in not getting sacked . 3 defenders getting free and suddenly in his face...

For those who hate Zack, with the person who made this is probably one,  you get to see all his mistakes repeated a few times as well as him drilled in slow motion. 

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

If Zach was terrible, what was Josh Allen?

$250,000 winning lottery ticket for Jordan Whitehead Boss? 

13 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Dallas game is either going to elevate him or break him completely IMO. If he can play how he did on Sunday and at least almost win, maybe his confidence comes back a little.

Or Micah Parsons completely destroys him and he folds like NE. We’ll see.

I think it’s time they FINALLY stop coddling/hiding him. Let him throw a ton. Sink or swim. If by same miracle he does well, there is confidence boaster..  We don’t beat the cowboys playing ultra conservative like Monday night. Especially now cowboys have seen that tape. 

Disclaimer- I have been a Wilson critic (no shizzzz), however, I re-watched the game today, albeit compressed.  I will say this, Zach Wilson did make some good strides here.  Folks, he came in cold...and was a little shaky at first, but this kid really made some money throws under duress.  A lot of duress.  He made one bad throw in the middle of the field, and a grounder, but for the most part, he looked pretty comfortable and confident.  The line made some great holes for the running game- grade A , but pass blocking was a grade D.  He came in and the team won....It was a great team effort, including the Coaching Staff.  They could have laid down as SOJ would have done.  Nope.

Some folks here stated that to use quick slants, bubble screens, short passes, swing passes, get the TE's involved after peeling/chipping the end..etc.  Pound the rock.  Agreed..  He can be successful with coaching and not putting it all on him.. Guy has a great arm, and is mobile.  Play Action should be used more here and roll outs.  Take a few shots downfield.   The jury will be out but I see improvement and if we can steal a few games while he gets comfortable, who knows....  The checkdowns are when he gets in trouble....after the first read isn't there, is where he needs to improve. That will come with coaching.  But alas...we are in the biggest, what have you done for me lately and demanding area, pressure galore...

Dallas has a great D line also, but the difference will be the Jets have a great running attack.   Dallas Offense can be very good.  3 good WR's, Gallup, Cee Dee and Cooks.  O Line used to be great.  Match up can be in our favor here because our D has a better line and secondary.  Our O Line needs to step up in pass protection....

Contrarian pick, Jets 20 - Cowboys 17 upset.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I think it’s time they FINALLY stop coddling/hiding him. Let him throw a ton. Sink or swim. If by same miracle he does well, there is confidence boaster..  We don’t beat the cowboys playing ultra conservative like Monday night. Especially now cowboys have seen that tape. 

You want him to throw a ton against Dallas? Are you serious? That defense and pass rush is very very good. The game plan is going to be run heavy with a mix of intermediate/short passes and screens mixed in. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He made one terrible decision and throw on the interception, other than that he was acceptable.

I turned the game on and that immediately happened. Like the exact moment I turned it on. Turned the game off after and he was fine again.

Just now, GandWFan said:

Please NEVER watch another Jets game.  EVER!

Thank you.

I'm just gonna stat watch now. Very sad.

I also watched the 2 NE games and the Jags game last season. I only tuned in Monday because I heard AR was out and got a little interested. Then I got reminded why I don't watch the games anymore, haha

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Something you don't hear every day.  " The TD pass was also terrible."  Lol!

Because usually they aren't bailed out by a catch that will be a top-3 catch across the NFL this season and are just terrible interceptions.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

30 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

You want him to throw a ton against Dallas? Are you serious? That defense and pass rush is very very good. The game plan is going to be run heavy with a mix of intermediate/short passes and screens mixed in. 

Sounds like, but sure hope isn’t the same game plan as the giants 🙈. Yes I know their D and pass rush is very good. They are going to stack against the run, cover the short flats. Knowing that is Zach’s limited comforts. Should be a lot of single coverage deep half of field. If they dare you to throw it there, have to take it. Don’t want to look like the giants running into a brick wall, going where they expect it..

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Sounds like, but sure hope isn’t the same game plan as the giants 🙈. Yes I know their D and pass rush is very good. They are going to stack against the run, cover the short flats. Knowing that is Zach’s limited comforts. Should be a lot of single coverage deep half of field. If they dare you to throw it there, have to take it. Don’t want to look like the giants running into a brick wall, going where they expect it..

The Jets are better than the Giants. I just don't want to see ZW slinging the ball against this defense because it won't end well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1