NFL Films guru on ZW: We all know what we’ve seen on film isn’t very good.”

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

To paraphrase Hobson from the cinema classic Arthur (1981) : Young man, this is a tie you cannot steal, this is a tie you must earn.

Cool so, way to not make a point because the person you're discussing with has no idea WTF you're talking about and you're too smug to explain it, I guess.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fans are going to one day look back at their defense of Zach Wilson like how we look back at our Junior High Yearbook photos and wonder, "How did my mother ever let me leave the house looking like that?"

Fans are going to one day look back at their defense of Quinnen Williams like how we look back at our Junior High Yearbook photos and wonder, "How did my mother ever let me leave the house looking like that?"

Fans are going to one day look back at their defense of Jermaine Johnson like how we look back at our Junior High Yearbook photos and wonder, "How did my mother ever let me leave the house looking like that?"

maybe soon we can add:

Fans are going to one day look back at their defense of Mekhi Becton like how we look back at our Junior High Yearbook photos and wonder, "How did my mother ever let me leave the house looking like that?"

This board has a rich history of hating our own players.  It's very possible this time you will turn out to be right.  But maybe...

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Fans are going to one day look back at their defense of Quinnen Williams like how we look back at our Junior High Yearbook photos and wonder, "How did my mother ever let me leave the house looking like that?"

Fans are going to one day look back at their defense of Jermaine Johnson like how we look back at our Junior High Yearbook photos and wonder, "How did my mother ever let me leave the house looking like that?"

maybe soon we can add:

Fans are going to one day look back at their defense of Mekhi Becton like how we look back at our Junior High Yearbook photos and wonder, "How did my mother ever let me leave the house looking like that?"

This board has a rich history of hating our own players.  It's very possible this time you will turn out to be right.  But maybe...

You mean "look back at their hate..." in these three cases?

Oh, and I disagree with your definition of hate. Which isn't an insult. You probably disagree with mine. Which is why we shouldn't be drawing lines and telling people how they feel, hmm?

50 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Not to pile on. And I agree with most everyone on this board that Zach is not very good. But Josh Allen's stats were not much better. And he lost the game. At least Zach won.  

70.7 completion %, 236yrds, 3 INTs, 1 TD, 62.7 rating, 1 lost fumble. Does that mean Allen is a 'bad' QB?? 

So yeah, throwing out a few stats and making a cohesive argument about how 'good' a player is...not smart

Zachenberg has yet to throw more than 2 touchdowns or 300 yards in an NFL game.  Josh Allen has.

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I get it.  He's not great, or even very good right now.

But 5:48 on this video puts the lie to this statement.  It's a 12-yard gain with the throw being about 20 yards from Wilson when he released it.  We can argue over whether that was a deep enough cross for you but it's a money throw for a 1st down.

He can make the perfect throw.  He did it a few times Monday night.  He just needs to do it more consistently.  We all know that.  But let's be at least a little objective in describing things.  This is a rough time on everyone so heaping hyperbole on top of things doesn't help.

image.png

There are a number of instances to point to where you can say - Zach made a great throw and a great play to move the chains or get chunk yards. He hit Garrett on a 3rd and down conversion in the Red zone on a dime squeezing the ball in a tight window - perfect throw. He hit Lazard on a deep play with a frozen rope. His oline collapsed on him and he was able to feel the pressure, step in the pocket and flick the ball away as he was falling to a wide open outlet receiver - Lazard who gained a large chunk of yardage. He threw some nice screen passes in traffic, which are not always easy. People piling on him are ridiculous. No he's not a great or even good NFL QB right now. He needs to build a better resume to allow me to say that about him.  And there are plays where you can say - wow what was he thinking- the Milano INT comes to mind. But it looks like he is getting better. It looked like Monday night he settled down in the second half.

Its not all or nothing with Zach - or most NFL players. If he improves his consistency. Continues to gain confidence and chemistry with the players. He may just play well enough to win games on this team and get us into the playoffs. Heck, maybe even out of the first round. I don't know why its so preposterous to think this is possible.  

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

There are a number of instances to point to where you can say - Zach made a great throw and a great play to move the chains or get chunk yards. He hit Garrett on a 3rd and down conversion in the Red zone on a dime squeezing the ball in a tight window - perfect throw. He hit Lazard on a deep play with a frozen rope. His oline collapsed on him and he was able to feel the pressure, step in the pocket and flick the ball away as he was falling to a wide open outlet receiver - Lazard who gained a large chunk of yardage. He threw some nice screen passes in traffic, which are not always easy. People piling on him are ridiculous. No he's not a great or even good NFL QB right now. He needs to build a better resume to allow me to say that about him.  And there are plays where you can say - wow what was he thinking- the Milano INT comes to mind. But it looks like he is getting better. It looked like Monday night he settled down in the second half.

Its not all or nothing with Zach - or most NFL players. If he improves his consistency. Continues to gain confidence and chemistry with the players. He may just play well enough to win games on this team and get us into the playoffs. Heck, maybe even out of the first round. I don't know why its so preposterous to think this is possible.  

It's not preposterous at all.   Some people doubt it so much they can't see any realistic chance it turns out positive.  Unfortunate to be a fan of a team and have no hope for success but that's a choice everyone is entitled to.

There are also a few who actively delight in just pouring fuel on the fire, but that's a whole different issue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Cool so, way to not make a point because the person you're discussing with has no idea WTF you're talking about and you're too smug to explain it, I guess.

I mean c'mon man it's not that difficult. And as to the accusation of a heightened level of smugness, I plead no contest.

Vaingloriously Yours,
Sonny Werblin

20 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Starts at 17:24 mark 

“I think we all know what we’ve seen from Zach Wilson on film isn’t very good.”

”He doesn’t see the field well.  He just…when you don’t see things very well as a QB, you play really fast.  The way it works is when you’re slow mentally, you play fast physically.  That’s the way it works.”

”Because when you drop back and you’re not seeing it, you know you only have a certain amount of time, and here you are dropping back and you’re not getting a clear picture.  So what happens is you go, ‘oh man, the time’s running out real fast.  I gotta do something.’  So you end up playing fast.  And that’s what Zach Wilson still is.”

”So what are the Jets gonna do?  They’re gonna do what everybody knows they’re gonna do.  They’re gonna rely on their defense.  They’re gonna run the ball.  When it gets to be 3rd and 9, they’re gonna have draw plays and screens because they’re gonna figure they’re not gonna be down 24-3 in the 2nd Q because their defense is really really good.”

”They’re gonna play old school football.  We’re gonna go back to the 1980s here or 90s big Ten football.  We’re gonna run the ball, we’re gonna keep the game close and hope that they can win just like they did against Buffalo.”

— Greg Cosell on the RTFP 9/14/23

I like Cosell .. but he is not ALWAYS right. I do think he is onto something the play fast things though .. which is why Zach's progress is so reassuring ... he is 10x calmer in the pocket than last year.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The board put me on blast for the entire summer 

I deserve to gloat 

In fact I am calling out whoever made @Fidelio Bitonti

Was it you S? Who was it? I want an ip check on this harassment 

Whoever you are, kneel before my future prediction skills. Enjoy being wrong. Keep my name out of your mouth 

Jokes are fun and all but no one can hide from the truth 

No matter how much smoke we blow up each other's keisters there's real life and then there's pretend 

This idea that Aaron Rodgers would solve everything was pretend 

how ironic it would be if bitonti IS ACTUALLY fidelio bitonti. Well played sir.....

40 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Zachenberg has yet to throw more than 2 touchdowns or 300 yards in an NFL game.  Josh Allen has.

For the sake of accuracy. He did throw for over 300 yards twice. 317 and 355. He also threw for 297 once. He has never had 3 TDs in a game but he has had two TD  throws in 5 of his 23 games (21.7%)

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I mean c'mon man it's not that difficult. And as to the accusation of a heightened level of smugness, I plead no contest.

Vaingloriously Yours,
Sonny Werblin

A default victory is empty calories but I’ll take it. 

Zach had on horrendous INT on Monday night.

Zach was bailed out by Wilson on the TD pass.

Ok, yeah. Sure.

He also played pretty damn well considering he ran on to the field thinking he was a spectator, got few reps since camp ended and the game plan was developed specifically for AR.

He deliver huge 3rd down completions that kept the game tying drive alive in the 4th quarter. 

His pass to Lazard while falling down was exceptional. Objectively Mahomes-esque.

Let's give the kid a chance. He only needs to be serviceable.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The thing that bodes well w/ Zach is his arm talent.  Its special.  So if the light goes on, and thats a big if, this team can do things it cant under guys like jacoby brissett, Jameis Winston, carseon wentz etc.

If those guys are the qb, you know the ceiling.  There is no chance of winning anything.

Will the light go on for young zach wilson?  Tune in on sunday at 4.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Once Aaron gets on the sideline and puts his headsets on to get in Zach’s ear. Zach will hear him. 

THIS is honestly the biggest component giving me optimism. Rodgers has always spoke highly of Wilson, dating back to his rookie year when they had joint practices together. Zach has the tools physically. He was picked #2 for a reason, but we all know this. If he can put the mental game together he can vastly improve. 

Yes, he has completely flopped up until this point, as the bad has definitively outweighed the good. I completely understand the pessimism. Yet, combining the talent on this team with Aaron Rodgers always in his ear, I find it hard not to be at least semi-bullish on ZW.

1 hour ago, y2k8 said:

Zach had on horrendous INT on Monday night.

Zach was bailed out by Wilson on the TD pass.

Ok, yeah. Sure.

He also played pretty damn well considering he ran on to the field thinking he was a spectator, got few reps since camp ended and the game plan was developed specifically for AR.

He deliver huge 3rd down completions that kept the game tying drive alive in the 4th quarter. 

His pass to Lazard while falling down was exceptional. Objectively Mahomes-esque.

Let's give the kid a chance. He only needs to be serviceable.  

Yep. He wasn't expecting to play the entire season and then was thrusted in there 4 plays in. That had to be a jolt to the psychology of Zach Wilson. I respect what he did monday and I hope for the best moving forward. 

• Upvote 2