Cimini: Locker room is grumbling about Wilson, team is close to imploding

T0mShane

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just can’t reconcile the idea that a team with this defense, in a league this watered-down, can’t cobble together eight wins. Especially a team that beat the sh*t out of the Bills already. It is my belief that the shock of losing Rodgers and the sadness of replacing him with an encumbrance like Zach Wilson is infecting the team, and if they can just get some bare bones QB play, they have enough on offense to muddle by. 

We will see. I’m fine with that as long as there are still leadership changes.

I think I see the morale impact of the QB position a little differently. Last year everybody knew Wilson couldn’t play and it was a relief to get White out there. This year I don’t think you see that boost.

I think they could’ve taken the shot with Rodgers’ injury and continued to trudge along if there was a Brissett or even Minshew or Bridgewater in the quarterback room. But I don’t know if they can recover from going from Rodgers to Wilson, and a Wilson to Siemian just won’t have the same punch that Wilson to White did last year.

The schedule plays into it too. I don’t see any more than two wins against KC, Philadelphia, and the other four divisional games with only Miami at home - and two seems like a stretch to me. So 5-3 or 6-2 against the Chargers, Raiders, Broncos, Commanders, Giants, Browns, Texans, and Falcons…is possible, I suppose - just don’t think it’s likely.

• Upvote 2

Just now, FactsOnly said:

What is this board gonna do when Zach plays well Sunday night?

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

Let's hope he does.  Or else it could get ugly like even Jet fans haven't seen before. 

At the very least, I hope the fans don't lose their minds and cause violence.  It still is just a game.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It’s only a “lost season” because Joe Douglas refused all offseason and even now to acquire a legitimate QB2.

There’s no “same page” to get these guys on.  The other 52 guys on this team are by and large doing their jobs effectively.  They’re being held hostage by the current abomination of a QB room and. Distant hope that Rodgers will come back strong next season.  

A mutiny is what results.  There’s no stopping it, and the only thing to look forward to is @Lurker89 going full Nero and fiddling while Rom burns….except Nero likely didn’t do that whereas I wouldn’t put it past Lurker to own a fiddle.  

Fwiw, I think I read that JD was unclear what the cap situation would be when he eventually did acquire AR8 (as they had to renegotiate his contract).  And I think I also read that ZW was guaranteed his money even we cut him.  So JD probably didn't want to spend any extra money on a 3rd QB when he knew he had to fortify the team (Dalvin Cook!!!) for Rodgers.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

lol spending $7M on a washed RB over a decent veteran QB2 when Minshew signed for $3.5M is peak Jetsy.

Douglas did his best not to join the pantheon of dumb-as-sh*t GMs this team has employed but he ended up there all the same.  

To be fair, I doubt Minshew would've signed with the Jets when we had AR8.  The Colts made more sense for him because it was unclear if Anthony Richardson was going to start right away (or have growing pains).  Minshew's best chance to play (realistically) wasn't with the Jets.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

So we are going to trade for Cousins with Rogers under contract? Is Cousins backing up Rogers or thebother way around? Comedy Central What GIF

Cousins would be a rental.  He is a free agent.  Rodgers isn't retiring they can let him walk and get a comp pick.  I think that is part of the 3rd round chatter.  He would probably net a 3rd in 2025.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

None really I guess.  Maybe the fact that Siemian was on the scrap heap by week 3 and the CS seems allergic to putting Boyle on the field (and I'm not sold it's all because of ZW coddling.  If Boyle was as good as Minshew, he'd be playing).

If Wilson were to be cut right now….who is picking him up?  

Your “evidence” is not evidence.  It’s only Wilson’s contract keeping him employed right now.  

1 hour ago, All Gas No Substance said:

Wilson beat buffalo and we all agree that he wasn’t the problem against Dallas. Let’s not act like they have given Wilson some sort of massive leash this season. 

Lmao.  He didn’t “beat Buffalo” and no, we don’t “all agree” about the Dallas game.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Wilson were to be cut right now….who is picking him up?  

Your “evidence” is not evidence.  It’s only Wilson’s contract keeping him employed right now.  

You might be right.  Though I could see some team at least bringing him to their PS.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Spicy Cimini podcast report from an off-day locker room. Opens up with Namath’s comments, but goes into (unnamed) Jets player discontent about Saleh fluffing Zach Wilson and continuing to start him. Says he knows “for a fact” that players are ready to pop off. Defensive players annoyed about having to answer for one coverage bust when they gave up a mere 13 points. Cimini puts it all in Douglas’ lap for keeping Wilson at QB2 with no safety net. 

Juiciest bits:

1. Cimini says Wilson is “done” in New York, but will play until Siemian or Boyle is ready to start. 

2. Says Saleh’s job security will be challenged if/when the locker room grumbling bubbles over and becomes public. Seems to indicate that time is closer than some think.

—However—Says it’s the bed Jets made, Cousins trade is a remote possibility and probably wouldn’t happen until the Jets season is already destroyed. Predicts the rest of the way will be a mix of Wilson, Boyle, and Siemian starts. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flight-deck-with-rich-cimini/id1466085257?i=1000629251264

I like when Cimini hops on my scoops.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think the Bills game was a sort of lucky series of events.  Josh Allen played far too reckless.  And it was opening week so they weren't as sharp as they could have been.  If we played them again now, they'd beat us.

I would be very surprised if we get 8 wins.  I'm thinking 4-5 wins right now.  And don't discount the idea that if we start 1-7 (which is possible) that the defense will lose motivation and the team will underperform the rest of the way.

we had like 4 turnovers and a ST TD. definitely an outlier.

Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Didn’t realize they needed a water boy

You don't think Belichick would pick up Zach if he was waved? What an ultimate F U that would be. I am not saying he could turn him around, but you know he would try. That would be one last project for Billy Boy.