Zach Wilson's five interceptions

AFJF

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We of all fanbases should understand that can only take you so far.

Like last year, when we had a very good defense (not as good as this, but still) and only won 7 games.

For sure. Trust me, I'm in the "get a real QB camp."

But if we operate under the assumption that isn't happening I think the current iteration of Wilson is better than others we've seen -- I think we can honestly scrape together a wild card run with him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

For sure. Trust me, I'm in the "get a real QB camp."

But if we operate under the assumption that isn't happening I think the current iteration of Wilson is better than others we've seen -- I think we can honestly scrape together a wild card run with him.

Barring any move we ought to be working to install Trevor Siemian by Week 9.  Rolling with Zach as he cripples the offense simply can't be the best option we have.

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The swing on a questionable prospect was bad enough.  Not relegating Zach to QB3 duties this year was perhaps the bigger one.  There were cheap, superior alternatives available all Summer.

I agree, but that's beyond his control and might have negated his current progress.  

1 minute ago, Same Old Jets said:

I agree, but that's beyond his control and might have negated his current progress.  

If Woody is still meddling JD needs to have the stones to tell him to STFU.  What's Woody gonna do, fire the best GM he's ever had or will ever have so he can go on another complicated hiring hunt?

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If Woody is still meddling JD needs to have the stones to tell him to STFU.  What's Woody gonna do, fire the best GM he's ever had or will ever have so he can go on another complicated hiring hunt?

Well, apparently he did by telling him he could only go cheap on a vet QB, that is the story teller to support your point. 

ZW's performance perception here will always be wildly skewed by his draft status. 

The reality is that he was/is the backup QB of this team. He is actually playing exactly like a backup of late. He hasn't made any mistakes, he is generally a game manager, and he doesn't really have the ability to win games for us by his performance alone. 

If we cut him and had Tim Boyle putting up these numbers I think we'd all be generally fine with our QB play. There is just so much baggage w/ Zach that there are going to be people who are always disappointed in him b/c they wanted him to be great, didn't want him at all, or have such a bad taste in their mouth from the first two years. There are also people who believe he will turn into a franchise QB despite all the evidence to the contrary. 

My only hope with him is that he can continue to improve and gain confidence - but the reality is he is likely a career backup and if we do anything this year it won't be b/c of him. 

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Same Old Jets said:

Well, apparently he did by telling him he could only go cheap on a vet QB, that is the story teller to support your point. 

How cheap are we talking here?  Minshew signed for 1 year, $3.5M.  Teddy Bridgewater went for 1 year, $3M.  Josh Dobbs - 1 year, $1.5M.  Hell, Baker Mayfield and Mike White only cost $4M each this year.  And the guy I've been advocating trading for - Davis Mills - is on a cheap rookie deal where his cap number is $1.4M this year and $1.7M next year.

Meanwhile JD spent $7M on completely burn toast Dalvin Cook and still has $5.8M in cap space at this very moment.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Crazy to think the kid has thrown five picks this season and only one (the first one) was a legitimately bad decision (Milano) in week 1.  

Threw three against Dallas chucking the ball up there trailing by fifty late in the fourth quarter and one last week that went through Garrett Wilson's hands and was caught by the DB squeezing the ball between his knees.

The one to Wilson is his only one in his last 134 pass attempts.

Extend him now

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

DISCLAIMER:  Yes, I'm aware the team won a monster game. 

POSITIVES:  Zach has gotten better between the 20s, and has avoided bad throws/turnovers, and is also getting better when he scrambles.  He's also still ranked in the top 20 on play action.

NEGATIVES:  Everything else.

Ratings

• QB Rating:  73.4 (31st)
  • QBR:  37.5 (29th)

Yardage/Air Yards

• YPA:  6.0 (30th)
  • Yards/Game:  182.8 (30th)
  • Adjusted YPA:  5.2 (29th)
  • Net YPA:  5.18 (30th)
  • Adjusted Net YPA:  4.09 (31st)
  • Completed Air Yards per PA:  3.2 (25th)

Accuracy

• Comp %:  60.4 (29th)
  • Expected Comp %:  59.7 (34th)
  • Bad Throw %:  12.9 (13th)
  • On Target %:  60.6 % (26th)

Efficiency

• TD %:  2.2 (31st)
  • INT %:  2.7 (23rd)
  • Pass Success %:  35.8 (33rd)

Pressure

• Sack %:  9.5 (28th)
  • Time to Throw:  2.97 sec (7th) 
  • Pocket Time:  2.0 (t-16th)  -- I.E. he's getting the t-16th MOST time in the pocket
  • Yards per Scramble:  8.3 (11th)

Play Action

• Play Action Yardage:  225 (18th)
  • PA Yardage per Play:  8.33 (19th)

@slats look spam

4 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

He’s had at least 2 dropped ints so far this season but yeah that’s about his only saving grace so far.  Would like to see him start taking more chances and pushing the ball down the field.  Trust his receivers and give them a chance to make a play - or try throwing them open.  Offense needs points.  Our defense can handle a turnover or two if we score TDs.

Actually they keep track of interceptable balls (too lazy to go find it) and Zach is near the best in this category. I think before last night he had like 4 INTs on 5 interceptable balls.

Funny thing, is that Zach has never really been all that interception happy. His interceptions were just massively skewed by a few games

• Upvote 1

The environment will impact the outcome of an individual's progress.  You are correct about Geno, it took him almost a decade to develop, which is 50% of most QB careers. Zach Wilson will develop at a slow pace, but I think it will only take half of Geno's.  Basically, by the end of 2024, we could probably have in our hands, a new Geno 2.0 in Zach. 

Don’t you know that 80 knows more about football than Tony Romo and who was saying that Hackett wasn’t tailoring the offense to Zach and that the coaches were doing him a disservice???

I guess Romo fell for those excuses too!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Don’t you know that 80 knows more about football than Tony Romo and who was saying that Hackett wasn’t tailoring the offense to Zach and that the coaches were doing him a disservice???

I guess Romo fell for those excuses too!

The last time Romo called a Jets game he was audibly disgusted with Zach Wilson's play.  As has every former QB who has covered a Zach game this season.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

animation physics GIF

Ying to the Yang…. Good with the Bad…. In truth, we were all asking Zach to be a game manager last season. Now we’re asking him to make big plays in the RZ. That’s evidence of improvement.

Looking forward to him taking the next step now that the schedule is softening.

There are no soft games in the NFL.  Ask the Eagles or 49ers. But yes, want to see Zach steady the ship but he is improving.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

Those ints wouldn’t look so bad if he had 6 or 7 td passes.  He’s capable of making those red zone throws.  That two point play was a bullet to Lazard.

caoching staff isnt letting him make red zone throws, and we have had a ton of penalties bad timing in that area too. He can make the throws, they dont want to win that way, they dont trust him, and thats fine, but you cant win like that over the long haul, they are going to have to let him throw it at some point, you cant rely on that many turnovers to win games like they did against bills and Eagles

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So why can't we complain about the 3-and-out / FG machine offense led by Zach Wilson, then?

you can and do complain about everything ZW related, what the **** are you talking about? the problem is you have literally zero objectivity at all, there are plenty of things he needs to do better, but the qb is one piece of the offense, no matter what you and your nitwit band of idiots think. The Oline, the penalties, the playcalling, the receivers, everyone contributes to an offense. The QB is the most important part, but not the only part at all. A concept you really struggle with, among many other concepts related to basic football knowledge

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

caoching staff isnt letting him make red zone throws, and we have had a ton of penalties bad timing in that area too. He can make the throws, they dont want to win that way, they dont trust him, and thats fine, but you cant win like that over the long haul, they are going to have to let him throw it at some point, you cant rely on that many turnovers to win games like they did against bills and Eagles

Very true. I see the rationale in yesterdays game. First down on the 8, a minute plus left and down by one. No turnovers allowed there.  But it’s tough watching them get to the red zone and then just not get a pass completion.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile rookie CJ Stroud began his career with 191-straight INT-free throws while ALSO throwing 9 TDs and having three 280+ yard games in his first 6.

Stroud has a top 12 OL with Tunsil manning the blind side. Zach has never had that. You spend so much energy crapping on Zach, understandably, but he’s our Qb for the season. Let it go already and enjoy the win!

War Love GIF by INTO ACTION

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Stroud has a top 12 OL with Tunsil manning the blind side. Zach has never had that. You spend so much energy crapping on Zach, understandably, but he’s our Qb for the season. Let it go already and enjoy the win!

War Love GIF by INTO ACTION

lulz.  You're right.  Zach just needs an OL to hold on for 3+ seconds every snap and then BOOM.  ELITE.

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Very true. I see the rationale in yesterdays game. First down on the 8, a minute plus left and down by one. No turnovers allowed there.  But it’s tough watching them get to the red zone and then just not get a pass completion.

theres a lot of things tough about watching the Jets offense. The penalties, the conservative play calling, the missed throws at times. The coaching staff wants to win by the thinnest of margins, its not sustainable in this NFL even with a grat defense. 

All 3 wins required a sh*t load of luck and bad pplays by the opposing team. We are trying to win by making less mistakes than the other team rather than more plays than the other team. Its not sustainable.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lulz.  You're right.  Zach just needs an OL to hold on for 3+ seconds every snap and then BOOM.  ELITE.

lulz, maybe he just needs to be more like your boy Minshew whose 3 int's lead to a 31-7 deficit before he put up meaningless numbers that you used to claim with him the Jets would be 5-1, could you possible show you understand football any less than you do? Is it possible?

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile rookie CJ Stroud began his career with 191-straight INT-free throws while ALSO throwing 9 TDs and having three 280+ yard games in his first 6.

Imagine being the Carolina GM taking 5’10” / 180 lb. Bryce Young over 6’3” / 213 lb CJ Stroud?

Damn you Adam Gase!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Same Old Jets said:

I still think that he hesitates and stalls, but with more time he will overcome his fears. I am just saying, we have quit on all the recent drafted QBs (Sanchez, Smith, Darnold) except Pennington due to injuries. We should have just a little bit more patience, ride this year and allow us to see his final numbers under this regime. 

Well said my friend!! Why throw him on the trash heap now? There is potential here and maybe we can benefit with some patience!

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

In the past few years, some fans have been 100% certain that:

1) Becton sucks and would never play a meaningful down of football again.

2) Signing (and supposedly overpaying) Quincy Williams was purely a gift to Quinnen and a sure sign that Joe Douglas was a terrible GM

3) Ashtyn Davis was a waste of a roster spot

4) Laken Tomlinson was washed out

5) JJ2 was a waste of a first round pick

and so on.

So we need to be understanding because there really isn't much more for them to be unhappy about.  They are scrambling harder than Jaylen Hurts in the 4th quarter yesterday to find the open troll topic.

Zach may or may not turn out to be a good starting QB but I think the trolls here don't have a strong record lately to stand on regarding anything so take it all with a grain of salt.  And to be clear, criticizing Zach's play does not make you a troll.  Claiming certainty that he will never improve and relentlessly provoking those who defend him does.  It gets lost sometimes, but this is a board for fans of the team so supporting the players should generally be the default position - not something to be ridiculed or blasted for.

Couldn't agree with you more!! Well put!

The last time Romo called a Jets game he was audibly disgusted with Zach Wilson's play.  As has every former QB who has covered a Zach game this season.

This is patently false, in fact he spent most of the game talking about how much he has all the tools and could turn into a top QB if the coaches put him in good positions to succeed. Romo was the first to publicly call out Hackett on constantly running the ball on first down and setting up Wilson for routine 3rd and longs which was a big contributor to our abysmal 3rd down conversion rate.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1