Probability of a trade skyrocketed today ..

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Go get a WR and OLineman. Pretty much any guy we get is better than what we have with injuries and such. 

What are we trading away to get starting-quality WR and O Linemen? Would you intend to sell the future to try and make a run this year? Because we have very little player value to trade, basically just Cook and Lawson.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Team needs far too much for trades to fix it.

Selling future draft assets for a long-shot at a 2023 playoff berth is just dumb.

And our own tradeable player assets aren't worth anything (i.e. Cook).

2023 is not, IMO, fixable.  We're going to finish ~.500 or thereabouts at best.

Today was a win, and wins are fun.  But this wasn't a win that gives me hope, and I'm honestly amazed some of yall are thinking what we saw today was the doorway to a playoff run.  

Yesterday was bad, no doubt.

Smart trades are not just about this year, they can help next year as well.

Instead of waiting to use a draft pick in April 2024, maybe there is an opportunity to use it now if there is a legit #2 WR or starting RT out there on a team that is rebuilding and wants/needs more draft assets.  Someone who is under contract for this year and next year.

Life isn’t so black and white.  We’ll see.  I actually think it’s unwise (I won’t use the term dumb)to talk in such absolutes.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

What are we trading away to get starting-quality WR and O Linemen? Would you intend to sell the future to try and make a run this year? Because we have very little player value to trade, basically just Cook and Lawson.

Depends on the guy. If it's a vet that we're just renting for the rest of the year I wouldn't give up much. But if it's a guy that we can keep around and that can help us for multiple years. Then yes I'd give up a 3rd or 4th for a guy.

For example... I'd give up a decent pick for Hollywood Brown bc he's a good player and still only 26. But I wouldn't give up too much for a vet WR that's average and on their last year.

For me I would rather see us try and get an OLineman than WR. What we have at WR doesn't matter if ZW has no time to throw.

But ideally we can get both.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, batman10023 said:

What are you talking about?  The defense held them to -9 yards. 

The Giants had 203 rushing yards yesterday.  The Jets D also showed themselves to have a lack of discipline that was borderline class clownish.  

The Giants are 32 in yards and points.  They are also a mediocre defense but it’s substantially better than their O.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Yesterday was bad, no doubt.

Smart trades are not just about this year, they can help next year as well.

Instead of waiting to use a draft pick in April 2024, maybe there is an opportunity to use it now if there is a legit #2 WR or starting RT out there on a team that is rebuilding and wants/needs more draft assets.  Someone who is under contract for this year and next year.

Life isn’t so black and white.  We’ll see.  I actually think it’s unwise (I won’t use the term dumb)to talk in such absolutes. 

So you are in fact going to sell the future to try and buy today, in a situation where we have obvious desperation needs and no leverage. 

I guess if you believe Wilson is a good QB getting better and will lead us to the playoffs this year, that might make sense. I’ll respectfully disagree.

Now is the time for our GM to earn his paycheck scouring street FA’s and other teams practice squads. Not for trading away our already thin draft future risking it on Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So you are in fact going to sell the future to try and buy today, in a situation where we have obvious desperation needs and no leverage. 

I guess if you believe Wilson is a good QB getting better and will lead us to the playoffs this year, that might make sense. I’ll respectfully disagree.

Now is the time for our GM to earn his paycheck scouring street FA’s and other teams practice squads. Not for trading away our already think draft future risking it on Zach Wilson. 

I agree with your basic premise. I would be open to trading for a player under contract for 2024 (or longer), though. Someone who not only helps the team today but next year, too. But trading something like a third round pick for a 10 game rental? No way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

They need a wr and another oline player.  I think in that order.  G Wilson needs someone to take the heat away.  I suppose they can scheme better by using hall in the slot more or the tes or go to a two back alignment.  Oline is going to be tough. Not many good ones available and they’d have to learn the system.  Maybe Tardiff is available and ready.  Of course it’s possible that the injuries to Switzerland and McGovern aren’t that bad and they’ll be ready by next Monday.

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree with your basic premise. I would be open to trading for a player under contract for 2024 (or longer), though. Someone who not only helps the team today but next year, too. But trading something like a third round pick for a 10 game rental? No way. 

The one thing JD has been almost universally good at is trades. So we’ll see. Long term legit assets for picks is ok, but going the Dan Snyder route is a bad idea. And again, we’re not talking backups here, folks are talking trades for #2 starting WR’s and starting Otackles. Those don’t come cheap.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just to have a functional OL, I could maybe see them doing something for someone anywhere on the line but this isnt baseball, you're not getting an impact player halfway through the season.  The WR2 which would clearly be the most expensive piece to acquire, would be largely useless here behind this OL w/ Zach Wilson.  The other issue at WR is, that players is not coming from the AFC and you cant do this for 10 games, they're not good enough.  The entire AFC is still in the mix, sans the sh*tty fraud Cheaters in NE and it's not worth a rental.

Either Rodgers comes and saves the season or here we are, a season of kicking battles to maybe possibly win the 4th quarter and maybe possibly get your ass kicked in the first round of the playoffs! 

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Now is the time for our GM to earn his paycheck scouring street FA’s and other teams practice squads. Not for trading away our already thin draft future risking it on Zach Wilson. 

I’m giving up a 3rd or 4th for a quality #2 starting WR or a starting RT who is under contract thru next year and who we might want to keep longer term.  I’ve repeatedly said this the past week.  

That’s not my definition of mortgaging the future.

I do NOT believe in Zach but I also don’t want any excuses he didn’t have enough of a supporting cast this year.  This year must be his final act as a NY Jet.

WR could be Brown.  Maybe Hopkins who is under contract for $14M next year.  Doubt it after yesterday.  Maybe Jeudy..  

I know less about OL but start with the teams with 2 or less wins.  

Right now, next year’s 1st rounder would be earmarked OL/WR/QB (yes folks, QB of future has to be on the table, someone who could sit a year & learn).

We don’t have a 2nd rounder and these positions aren’t always readily available in FA and if they are the price is usually very high in a competitive market.  

A trade now might just get us a quality starter at a reasonable overall price.

We’ll see.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Team needs far too much for trades to fix it.

Selling future draft assets for a long-shot at a 2023 playoff berth is just dumb.

And our own tradeable player assets aren't worth anything (i.e. Cook).

2023 is not, IMO, fixable.  We're going to finish ~.500 or thereabouts at best.

Today was a win, and wins are fun.  But this wasn't a win that gives me hope, and I'm honestly amazed some of yall are thinking what we saw today was the doorway to a playoff run.  

Yes and No.

They're 4-3. Schedule the rest of the way is not terrible. Other teams are struggling too. 

The playoffs aren't a crazy thought. But a deep playoff run certainly is. I would hope for one or two minor deals that patch this up enough on the o-line so the wheels don't come off completely. Agree about not mortgaging the future though. No blockbusters needed, just a couple bodies to limp to the finish line and set them up for next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

The Giants had 203 rushing yards yesterday.  The Jets D also showed themselves to have a lack of discipline that was borderline class clownish.  

The Giants are 32 in yards and points.  They are also a mediocre defense but it’s substantially better than their O.

agree on discipline.  a couple of horrible penalties that essentially "cost" them the game.  JJ and Clemons were terrible.

they held the giants to 3.75 yards per rush.  that's not a disaster.

The QB ship has sailed.

It should have been Wentz and it should have been done the week Rodgers got hurt but with the bye gone there’s just no chance they’re bringing in someone and expecting them to get up to speed. 

Pointless investing too much in this season with the QB play being what it is. Whatever we do this year is a bonus, next year you regroup with Rodgers and we save the resources for that.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

agree on discipline.  a couple of horrible penalties that essentially "cost" them the game.  JJ and Clemons were terrible.

they held the giants to 3.75 yards per rush.  that's not a disaster.

3.75 yards against at team with a bad OL and no passing game at all isn't great at all.   

If that Lawson for Renfrow trade is real, it 100% needs to happen.

After that though, finding a quality OL is going to be difficult.  Might have to dig through someone's practice squad and hope you can find a gem.  No idea who might be on the block though, but yeah I'd imagine you could get a decent backup for one of your 4ths.  Even if we trade for someone we'll still probably need to sign another guy as well.

11 hours ago, greasyt said:

Maybe it's the 37 beers talking, but I thought this game was case in point for that argument? No?

The defense gave up a touchdown to a team with a 3rd string rookie quarterback, who couldn’t complete a single pass, by way of penalties, a problem that has plagued them since Saleh got here, so I would definitely agree that it is the 37 beers talking.

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm sorry but we had an MVP QB on the roster.

Most fans here thought we were a bad thumb away from having that  Assuming you believe that how can you say otherwise?

I very staunchly said before the season kicked off that Rodgers was not enough and I saw this team as a 10-7 wildcard team with him.

I still believe that coaching is a very large problem.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And because of their lack of discipline, needed the offense to drive 58 yards in 24 seconds, with no timeouts, to tie the game.

Yet that drive was great and it presents a philosophical problem for these coaches.  They want to win with defense, running and not turning it over, the Rex approach, but wilson is his best self when he’s able to play without too much thinking and with a quicker pace.  He clearly can make good throws and needs to be able to attack downfield to be effective, but that’s not what the coaches want in their game plans.  

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

They're 4-3 with the worst QB in the history of QBs taking regular snaps. 

And it’s not sustainable.  Zach blows.  We knew that going into the game.  The lack of another threat at WR, depth on the O-Line, and discipline from the defense is going to catch up to us.

Tommy Devito “led” a TD drive because Quincy Williams bashed a guy in the back of the head for no reason and Jermaine Johnson garnered another “unsportsmanlike” penalty that he won’t be disciplined for by this coaching staff.

This game never has a chance to be won if Tyrod Taylor doesn’t get knocked out.

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

i said in an earlier post that the penalties were terrible.  Clemons worst of all. JJ pretty close second.

Right.  I’m not saying Zach isn’t an issue.  We knew going into this game that he was.  What I’m saying is that he is not the only issue and there are, arguably, bigger concerns that will doom this team.