5 players Jets should target at #10

I'd have no issue with Latham but find it hilarious to see how many other people are endorsing the pick.  I've heard a million times that drafting Becton was so very obviously dumb because he was so big that he was bound to get hurt.  Latham is a McDonald's meal deal (and a medium one at that) from weighing what Becton weighed when he was drafted.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Gotta' be Bowers.

Use assets to aggressively pursue another round 1 or early round 2 pick to get your OT.

With Rodgers you're getting one or MAYBE two years to do something special.  Go all in.

I think a lot is going to hinge on Free Agency. Let's say the Jets go Bakhtiari or Tyron Smith in FA. I believe they are gonna have AVT at RT. If we miss on the OTs in FA then I think a trade down for a RT would be my preference and shift AVT to LT.

Alt

Fashanu

Bowers

Odunze

Fuaga

Mims/Latham

I think that would be my draft board. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

I think a lot is going to hinge on Free Agency. Let's say the Jets go Bakhtiari or Tyron Smith in FA. I believe they are gonna have AVT at RT. If we miss on the OTs in FA then I think a trade down for a RT would be my preference and shift AVT to LT.

Alt

Fashanu

Bowers

Odunze

Fuaga

Mims/Latham

I think that would be my draft board. 

Hoping they prioritize Bowers at 10 and do whatever it takes to fix the OL before and after that. 

If Joe D signs Bakhtiari to anything more than a vet minimum deal after all the injuries they just dealt with, I think he's covertly asking to be let go.

That being said, if Rodgers demands it I'm sure Joe D. will be told to get it done.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Right. Take an all pro guard and move him to tackle. Brilliant. So now you have watered down the tackle position and totally exposed the guard position. Leave AVT ALONE at guard. And Bak at LT is akin to what JD counted on with Brown and Becton this past year - utter disaster that resulted in the season being over 4 plays into it. Sign the best tackle you can at 10 not named Latham son of IHOP. Sign or trade for another tackle - right or left depending on who we draft. The tricky thing is getting another guard to replace Laken the bum. 
Here’s an idea that hasn’t been discussed and I bring it up because we are desperate. Draft the tackle at 10, sign a FA tackle like Tyron Smith as you mentioned, then move Tippman to left or right guard with AVT at the other guard spot. Then in round three, draft a center. There a few good ones that will be there. JD has to be creative. Tippman played very well at guard this past year. 

Saleh brought it up in his presser, talked about keeping AVT at 1 position but mentioned LT, RT, LG, and RG. I think they will decide where he plays based on their needs during camp, best 5 OL will play.

Tippmann and AVT having thr flexibility that they do is going to play a huge part in fixing the OL this year. Completely agree on Bakhtiari, I just also think AR8 is running the show and the chances of getting Tyron to leave Dallas feels slim to me. 

• Upvote 1

I would say no position on O is off the table including QB. If someone like Bo Nix is available at 10, the Jets have to consider him or trading down a few spots to someone that needs to draft a QB. This is a very deep draft and a lot of these players mentioned in this thread will be available in the late teens. I have seen Bowers projected as late as 15. 

Bowers, Odunze, and Fuaga, are the only ones on that list worth the 1st pick. I'm sure we'd all be happy with either of them. They are all needs.

Bowers, is like a WR.

Odunze is #2 after MHJ

Fuaga, will make Becton sit on the bench eventually because we'll be moving Carter Warren to LT once Becton gets Rogers killed in his first game back in 2024, seeing Rogers (JD) want him back in 2024.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Saleh brought it up in his presser, talked about keeping AVT at 1 position but mentioned LT, RT, LG, and RG. I think they will decide where he plays based on their needs during camp, best 5 OL will play.

Tippmann and AVT having thr flexibility that they do is going to play a huge part in fixing the OL this year. Completely agree on Bakhtiari, I just also think AR8 is running the show and the chances of getting Tyron to leave Dallas feels slim to me. 

Saleh is too into this plug and play mentality for the oline.  Seems to me an awful lot of free rushers came through the oline interior.  This means putting back AVT at guard and leaving him there. AVT at guard also helps out tipp and the tackle on his side.  I firmly believe fant looked good at left tackle because AVT was playing left guard a couple of seasons back.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Saleh is too into this plug and play mentality for the oline.  Seems to me an awful lot of free rushers came through the oline interior.  This means putting back AVT at guard and leaving him there. AVT at guard also helps out tipp and the tackle on his side.  I firmly believe fant looked good at left tackle because AVT was playing left guard a couple of seasons back.

I don't disagree, I just think we use AVT where we need him most based on FA and Draft

• More Ugh 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

JC Latham would be on my do not draft list.

Mims would be a big fat meh as well.

I hope we do not reach for an ot a tier below the top guys and pass on a weapon player.

I've always been for over drafting oline but I hate reaching wit a top 10 pick.

We are so afraid of big fat athletic OTs now. lol

Becton ruined us.

All those guys are getting Drafted early and most will likely be very good players.

But I'm with you.  We need to prioritize availability as much as ability with the next OT drafted.

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We are so afraid of big fat athletic OTs now. lol

Becton ruined us.

All those guys are getting Drafted early and most will likely be very good players.

But I'm with you.  We need to prioritize availability as much as ability with the next OT drafted.

Latham does not look athletic to me and he just did not impress me at all the snaps i watched.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Gotta' be Bowers.

Use assets to aggressively pursue another round 1 or early round 2 pick to get your OT.

With Rodgers you're getting one or MAYBE two years to do something special.  Go all in.

Other than Jermichael Finley.... has Rodgers used a TE the way NO used Graham or KC - Kelcey?

Get the OL fixed. Ruckert, Yeboah, Kuntz and Conk will be OK

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

Hoping they prioritize Bowers at 10 and do whatever it takes to fix the OL before and after that. 

If Joe D signs Bakhtiari to anything more than a vet minimum deal after all the injuries they just dealt with, I think he's covertly asking to be let go.

That being said, if Rodgers demands it I'm sure Joe D. will be told to get it done.

The problem with signing Bakhtiari or Becton to even very small deals is that there are people (Rodgers and JD respectively in this case) who have an MO to have them start, regardless of whether they have earned it or not. So they will be relied on, get hurt and the backup plan will be worse. Pass on both of them, at any cost.

The Bowers talk makes my brain hurt.

Does anyone think the Jets offense would have been significantly better this year if they had Travis Kelce? I promise you... it's no. And Bowers isn't Kelce. We're not in a position to take a luxury position like tight end at 10.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

They can't keep Laken at that contract amount. But Tippmann, AVT and Carter Warren are nice returning pieces.

I am still holding out hope that Keith Carter gets fired. Brining him back is criminal.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Does anyone think the Jets offense would have been significantly better this year if they had Travis Kelce? I promise you... it's no. And Bowers isn't Kelce. We're not in a position to take a luxury position like tight end at 10.

Yes it would have been a lot better.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yes it would have been a lot better.

Really? Who was going to throw the ball to him? Who was going to stop the defensive linemen from deflecting those throws? What specifically would be the upgrade? 12 touchdowns instead of 10?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Really? Who was going to throw the ball to him? Who was going to stop the defensive linemen from deflecting those throws? What specifically would be the upgrade? 12 touchdowns instead of 10?

Looking back at last year is silly. Would the Jets have been better with him on the team, yes. The guy is one of the best tight ends of all time so that is a pretty safe statement.

The goal next year is to keep Aaron Rodgers upright and win a Super Bowl. A top tight end isn't a luxury.

As I said, they would have to fix the offensive line before the draft if they go this route. And that is a big if. So offensive tackle is a safe bet. But tight end isn't a luxury position.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Rome Odunze is going to make people say Marvin Harrison who?

(Just trying to sneak this one buy unnoticed on the .0024% chance it becomes a thing and I can bump it in a few years)

I have the same concerns about Odunze that I had about Drake London.

London has proven to be a good player in Atlanta, but these dudes with a high contested catch rate in college scare me. They have a high contested catch rate because they aren’t creating separation. It’s the primary reason why I preferred Garrett over Drake in that draft. The admittedly little I’ve seen of Odunze, he constantly has a DB on his hip pocket and he’s having to make a catch in traffic. Rodgers will typically trust his receivers on those tight window throws, but a lot of QB’s won’t.

26 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Looking back at last year is silly. Would the Jets have been better with him on the team, yes. The guy is one of the best tight ends of all time so that is a pretty safe statement.

The goal next year is to keep Aaron Rodgers upright and win a Super Bowl. A top tight end isn't a luxury.

As I said, they would have to fix the offensive line before the draft if they go this route. And that is a big if. So offensive tackle is a safe bet. But tight end isn't a luxury position.

actually kelce took a significant step back this year. the team wouldn't have been much better with him at all. 

32 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Tight end is the most luxury position of luxury positions on an offense with no QB or o-line.

The o-line isn't, doesn't and never has been fixed by free agency. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, JetPotato said:

We aren't talking Bowers for last year's team, we are talking about Bowers for 2024 and beyond. We are gonna have cap space, picks, players returning from IR and AR8 back next season. I would not be surprised to see the Jets prioritize impact player over an OT that make take some time. Many ways to skin a cat

Just now, bla bla bla said:

We aren't talking Bowers for last year's team, we are talking about Bowers for 2024 and beyond. We are gonna have cap space, picks, players returning from IR and AR8 back next season. I would not be surprised to see the Jets prioritize impact player over an OT that make take some time. Many ways to skin a cat

Right, because the 2024 Jets are going to look soooo much different than the 2023 Jets (who were supposed to look so much different than 2022). Players will be healthy! 🙄

At some point, guys, you have to learn. Running it back means running it back. Expecting different results is borderline insane.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

One thing douglas has done with every 1st round pick is take a guy at a premium position.  Becton, zach, garrett, sauce, JJ and mcdonald.  All premium positions.  No TE, S or DT.  And no TE.  

I have been questioning my opinion on 1st round OL recently. It used to be that they were easier to evaluate, and very safe first round picks, But I believe that they are becoming some of the riskiest and lowest value picks you can make in the first round:

1. College teams are not coaching OL in a way that aligns with the NFL game

2. As opposed to the time when we drafted Brick and Mangold, the OL schemes are much more complicated and require much more athleticism.  Far more difficult to project their performance in the NFL

3. OL are much bigger now and due to the additional requirements for them with so much zone and pulling the rate of injury for OL has skyrocketed.

I just think in general OL is just super risky now especially in the first round.

And especially for the Jets, we will be drafting the 3rd 4th or 4th best lineman. I used to ridicule McCoffee for saying he did not believe in drafting OL with premium picks. I am starting to think he is right. Let's face it, we have 2 first rounders and 2 3rd rounders invested in Becton and "can't miss" AVT and have next to nothing to show for it.

I think first rounders need to be either someone who handles the ball or someone that takes it away. OL and DL would not be valued as high for me in the first round any longer. QB WR EDGE CORNER

• Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Right, because the 2024 Jets are going to look soooo much different than the 2023 Jets (who were supposed to look so much different than 2022). Players will be healthy! 🙄

At some point, guys, you have to learn. Running it back means running it back. Expecting different results is borderline insane.

Are you under the impression Douglas won't try to add anyone via FA or the Draft? On average 30% roster turnover each year in the NFL

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

One thing douglas has done with every 1st round pick is take a guy at a premium position.  Becton, zach, garrett, sauce, JJ and mcdonald.  All premium positions.  No TE, S or DT.  And no TE.  

He also traded 2 third round picks to move up in the 1st for a Guard. Not to mention they tried to trade up into the 1st in 2022 to take a RB