Damien Woody on the OL (Breece Agrees)

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

maybe? It doesn't make any sense to me how a GM is to blame for o-linemen who have a clean health history come here and get injured but I'm open to learn.

Watched Bart and Mangold with that twerp Eric Allen last night. 

They both blamed the lite schedule during preseason that the NFLPA fought for.  Said guys aren't ready when season rolls around. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Breece in his exit interviews demanding for olineman and better play calling. G Wilson demanding a WR 2 and better play calling. 

Jets - "We hear you. Everything will be the same though. It'll just be different this time. Trust us"

Reminds me of the great Walt Michaels in a pre season interview before the 1982 season telling Spencer Ross, I believe, that the offense this year is “ going to be just like SanDiego’s but we’re not going to throw as much.”🤣

54 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Woody, as an ESPN hack, likes to speak in generalizations about the Jets “Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan the defense, I’m tellin ya. Wooooo” and “Maaaan the coaching, it needs some HELP.” But, like all ESPN hacks, never gets specific about his complaints for fear of alienating anyone or anything. In this instance, Woody says this about the OL, but says nothing about Mekhi Becton being a bag of sh*t and, to the contrary, slurps Becton’s balls on Twitter all season. Maybe Woody can follow up his “Maaaaan, this offensive liiine. I’m tellin ya!” with an explanation of how Becton sucking and being a sandbag has kneecapped Douglas’ OL build from the start.

In a total departure from the norm at see no evil ESPN, Bart actually said on the air with Alan Hahn, that Lamar “ choked.” Wonder if that gets a suspension?😎🎄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

(Breece) Hall - “The way they using Jahmyr [Gibbs] right now is a RB’s dream,” 

Hall also reposted former Jet Damien Woody after the former Jets offensive lineman wrote: ”How some teams neglect the OL is criminal.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

JD has not neglected the OL.

I was never a fan of Becton. I actually wanted to go CD that year but at OL I wanted Wirfs or Thomas. Thomas went before us so he wasn't an option. But I felt Wirfs was a safer pick. I truly think JD only went Becton over Wirfs bc Wirfs was a RT and Becton was a LT. And we thought we needed a LT more than RT. Instead of just taking the safer player. Becton wasn't injury prone in college. So it really was bad luck for JD.

We then traded up for AVT the very next draft in Round 1. So back to back years using a 1st on OL. AVT was considered a cant miss OLineman and once again has been hit with injuries. Hopefully this trend stops at some point. Listening to Scott and Mangold... they think the Jet actually need to allow these guys to hit more in TC and such. Where there body is used to it by the time regular season rolls around. And I don't disagree really.

We signed Tomlinson in FA. Who had just came off a pro bowl season in SF and had ties to Saleh. The signing I dont think was a bad move. They got a proven vet to go next to what they thought would be Becton. Becton got injured and it didnt work out that way. WE will see if we decide to cut or keep Tomlinson this offseason.

We then used a quality 2nd round pick on a good C who can play G as well. Tippman had a good rookie year once he went to C and was healthy. Should be a building block for us for hopefully a long time.

So that's 3 very valuable picks used on OL a big FA signing as well as us using some picks on developmental guys like Mitchell, Warren and such.

No we head into this year with really only for sure having AVT and Tippman on the OL. Warren hopefully can develop. Easy to forget he missed pretty much the whole pre season and such. So when he was starting and actually looked pretty decent all things considered. He didn't have a full rookie year to develop and learn. We every well might value him more than most of us think. I'd like to see Mitchell add weight and move to G full time. And be that athletic OG. You have to develop players.

I do think we spend 10 on an OT and sign a FA OT. So I expect the OL to be addressed.

But it is false that JD has ignored the OL. What was ignored was the GMs previous to him never spending picks on offense to he was left with pretty much having to build a whole offense. Which is hard for any GM.

Our healthy team last year was a playoff team easily IMO. So hard to just point at the GM bc of injuries.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

Douglas doesn’t neglect, he just gets it wrong or they get hurt.

i don't think the oline's failings can be blamed much on douglas.  he has used quite a few resources in getting the players.  the injuries have a large role to play but also the coaching and the continual rotation of players.  a lot of times the oline just didn't seem to know who to block.  there were many instances where a pass rusher would be doubled but this would allow a free rusher.  the doubling olineman didn't know enough to slide over to pick up the free guy.  and the whiff blocks by cook didn't help either.  i believe had they been able to keep the same five or six guys in the line up the whole season they would've graded out at least average.

Yeah, he's by no means neglected it, especially in the draft. He's had some bad luck with so many injuries, but I also think he thought he had it totally "fixed" when he didn't, like with the Tomlinson (guard) signing, and a couple of years ago seemingly satisfied with Fant and Becton as starters at OT when both were coming off knee injuries the season before, and this is past season counting on an old man at LT.

He's spent two premium picks and a major FA signing on the OL interior, but just one premium pick at OT, and signed just a mid-level free agent a few years ago with Fant. He really needs to pull out a couple of rabbits out of hats this offseason to fix OT.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

AVT cost us an additional two 3rds as well

He's also drafted a T in the 4th round 3 of out his 4 drafts; Cam Clark, Max Mitchell, Carter Warren.

The execution is questionable and the injuries have been brutal and I think his biggest blunder was letting Morgan Moses walk and not resigning him while in the building but the effort has been there.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Teams were decimated with OL injuries this year and managed to overcome it besides the Jets.

Is it the personnel, as many in this thread are alluding to, or the coaching/scheme?

The Browns who have Bill Callahan come to mind. Who else? Callahan is probably the best in the business.

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

He's also drafted a T in the 4th round 3 of out his 4 drafts; Cam Clark, Max Mitchell, Carter Warren.

The execution is questionable and the injuries have been brutal and I think his biggest blunder was letting Morgan Moses walk and not resigning him while in the building but the effort has been there.

I thought we tried to re-sign Moses but he declined. Can't seem to find any info on it though so maybe I'm making it up in my head.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I thought we tried to re-sign Moses but he declined. Can't seem to find any info on it though so maybe I'm making it up in my head.

Moses took more money to play for the Ravens and be guaranteed to start.  Smart thinking. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Yea, it was unfortunate with Moses. With Becton returning from injury we couldn't guarantee him the starting role

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

End of the day same result unless we should take solace in it being incompetence instead of neglect? Personally, my fat ass sees zero difference. 

Scenario 1 - someone gets up at 6AM to bake Crusher a huge tray of donuts but overcooks them

Scenario 2 - same person stays in bed and says "screw that guy, he can get his own donuts"

:D  

• Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You're talking about 1 guy. that's not being decimated. 

Decimated means losing 1 in 10.

Teams keep at most 10 O linemen on the active roster?

;-)  

4 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Scenario 1 - someone gets up at 6AM to bake Crusher a huge tray of donuts but overcooks them

Scenario 2 - same person stays in bed and says "screw that guy, he can get his own donuts"

:D  

All crisis was everted because Jamesr knew what he had to do and just happen to have a pallet of snickers in his garage for just such an occasion.  Snickers Jetnation  poster of the week award winner! Way to go Jamesr!!!!  

• Sympathy 1

All crisis was everted because Jamesr knew what he had to do and just happen to have a pallet of snickers in his garage for just such an occasion.  Snickers Jetnation  poster of the week award winner! Way to go Jamesr!!!!  
Snickers? Blergh!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

no brainer for him then. I think JD gets too much criticism but seems he does get out bid more than he should.

JD knew he did not have a QB or a roster, so he bid very conservatively on FAs.   He was treading water-relying on hold the fort guys (like Connor McGovern and George Fant and Carl Lawson) and trying to build through the draft.  I was saving cap space to roll forward and use when the Jets really needed it.  

The problem?  He was not able to effectively draft replacements for his overpaid hold the fort guys-having to keep guys like CMD and Lawson after their contracts allowed them to be cut relatively painlessly.  

And now Woody came in and screwed the cap pooch with Rodgers, etc.  The entire operation is a complete mess. 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I guarantee @bitonti  could have picked us a better O line. 

I took endless grief for wanting penei Sewell over Zach 

Sewell is pffs highest graded tackle this year by ten points 

I also wanted the Jets to stay at 6 and take Quenton Nelson 

It's an interesting crop this year don't see a type of prospect like that in this draft 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He wanted to start. At the time we had Becton and Fant returning from injury as our starters, so we weren’t giving a big contract to a third tackle. Granted 3/15 wasn’t much but he wasn’t coming back here as a reserve. Best decision in hindsight? Definitely not, but with a 1st round pick at LT a $9M/year RT it’s hard to be overly critical 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean JD hasn’t “neglected” the OL. It just hasn’t worked out. He’s used top resources in all his picks and now is on pace to burn another 1st rd pick on more OL. 

Becton - 1st rd

Tomlinson- big $$ free agent

Tippman- early 2nd rd 

AVT - 1st rd

Not to mention Cameron Clark and the plethora of secondary players he has brought in over the past two years to patch the holes in the dyke.

grenade explodes on the o-line
jets fans: OMG I can't believe how irresponsible JD is to not have pro bowl caliber 6th string linemen ready to go.
Didn't know Breece and Woody were fans ... But please continue.