Rex Hogan story from Walter Football

On 2/2/2024 at 7:17 PM, Beerfish said:

The people that wanted to stick with darnold and make a pick or trade down were eviscerated on here at the time because the masses hated Darnold.

Darnold sucked and they actually got good value for him.  Dumping Darnold did not mean the team was forced to take Zach at 2.  They could have dumped Darnold and taken another player at 2 or traded down.  They could have taken a bust QB on day 2 of the same draft.

There was no reason to keep Darnold when there were teams that felt Darnold only sucked because he was on the Jets which increased his value.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

It's the nature of the beast. With single-read college offenses being so prevalent, you're almost always projecting a QB based on bad data that doesn't correlate or accurately predict pro performance.

Aaron Rodgers was a victim of this. He entered the draft coming from a Jeff Tedford offense that produced Trent Dilder, David Carr, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, and Kyle Boller. GMs looked at those QBs and discounted Aaron Rodgers' game tape because they felt like it wasn't an accurate predictor of pro performance. They were obviously wrong.

If Patrick Mahomes doesn't hit, Zack Wilson is probably a 3rd round pick. But Mahomes is on the road to GOAT status, and that forces everyone to dig through college reels hoping they can find the next gem.

The Zach Wilson story is not unique. Projecting a player based on a college game that doesn't closely resemble the pros is risky business. Teams, like the Jets, are forced to roll the dice and when it backfires, the impact is felt for years.

Zach Wilson was on the road to being a 3rd pick more than halfway through his last season at BYU. Then the hype machine started and scouts start talking themselves into seeing things that weren't there and ignoring the things that were.

Drafting ZW #2 overall was nothing but wishcasting. Missing on a guy is one thing. Passing up all the draft capital that was there for the taking is what makes the selection so egregious. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:00 PM, T0mShane said:

Fortunately, we have contemporaneous photo evidence of Rex Hogan on the phone with Zach Wilson immediately after making the pick, at the behest of Rex Hogan:

IMG_4640.jpeg

Rex Hogan was workin for Woody! 😂 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

The Darnold situation was a funky one. We could have ran it back with Sam but the top QB in the following draft was Kenny Pickett - not going to endorse Pickett over Sauce, Wilson, or JJ not to mention we would have lost the pick that got us Breece.

24 of 24 GMs had Zach Wilson ranked as QB #2 that year, we can play hindsight all we want but sometimes picks just don't work out. If it were easy, Brock Purdy wouldn't have been Mr. Irrelevant 

Not really, then they would’ve been in the same situation as last off season… looking for a veteran QB, but with more talent around him. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Post of the Week 1

I think the hard part, where the scouting really matters, is assessing the mental makeup of the player.  Without the right mental makeup, the player will not succeed in the NFL.  The most important muscle of an NFL player is between his ears.  And then you need the obvious physical tools.  

It just think in hindsight it is easy to see how Zach Wilson, Becton, Mims and E Moore would not be successful NFL players.   Watching Sauce, Garrett and Breece play and carry themselves is the opposite.   I just continue to wonder what these Jets scouting guys actually do, but I think there is a bit of a myth as to who scouts what.  I think the most effective scouting is done by the assistant coaches.  That is why the Jets have a good defense.  They have not been able to replicate that offensively. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the hard part, where the scouting really matters, is assessing the mental makeup of the player.  Without the right mental makeup, the player will not succeed in the NFL.  The most important muscle of an NFL player is between his ears.  And then you need the obvious physical tools.  

It just think in hindsight it is easy to see how Zach Wilson, Becton, Mims and E Moore would not be successful NFL players.   Watching Sauce, Garrett and Breece play and carry themselves is the opposite.   I just continue to wonder what these Jets scouting guys actually do, but I think there is a bit of a myth as to who scouts what.  I think the most effective scouting is done by the assistant coaches.  That is why the Jets have a good defense.  They have not been able to replicate that offensively. 

It’s not that hard. The Jets are either incredibly lazy or over complicate things. It’s likely laziness. Bectins personality was easily identifiable in college. Failed a drug test at the combine. The guys who bomb out don’t come out of nowhere if you do your homework. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:17 PM, Beerfish said:

The people that wanted to stick with darnold and make a pick or trade down were eviscerated on here at the time because the masses hated Darnold.

I think making a pick at 2 would have been the most insane thing.  The haul that would have been there for #2 should have been pretty great.  Hell, you'd think that SF would have even given something to move up one spot. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think making a pick at 2 would have been the most insane thing.  The haul that would have been there for #2 should have been pretty great.  Hell, you'd think that SF would have even given something to move up one spot. 

It was stated that SF offered the jets the same package as they offered to Miami to trade up.

"San Francisco traded three first-round picks and a third-rounder to Miami in 2021 to move up from No. 12 and draft the untested Lance third overall. "

• Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

Not really, then they would’ve been in the same situation as last off season… looking for a veteran QB, but with more talent around him. 🤷‍♂️ 

I'd have to go back and see who was available. Would that have been Watson or Wilson? Idk if I'd endorse either of those trades. Although maybe Rodgers doesn't restructure to stay with Green Bay if we are a potential landing spot

On 2/2/2024 at 7:25 PM, GangGreened said:

Yeah I doubt Douglas didn’t want to take Wilson. I’d bet he was 100% on board. Saleh is the one who didn’t want Zach.

Saleh wanted to keep Sam Darnold that is clear now. 

It may not have worked as others have indicated but that was a superior plan to that what they did. 

• Upvote 1

Saleh is making that clear.  Saleh has to stop doing stupid stuff but he had a decent plan.  

But look at the experience the Commanders hired, or the cowboys had for that matter, vs what the Jets hired last round.  Unbelievable actually. 

Gase and Gregg Williams was a better plan….if they he players 

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

in this case, even the dumbest owner is sports was correct over fatboy

Which is really saying something and Douglas turned this job (arrogantly) demanding more money, more years, and more staff before accepting. Add in a 2 year mulligan for "I didn't hire Adam Gase" and Douglas looks really inept.

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Which is really saying something and Douglas turned this job (arrogantly) demanding more money, more years, and more staff before accepting. Add in a 2 year mulligan for "I didn't hire Adam Gase" and Douglas looks really inept.

Thats because he is

• Upvote 1