New territory for JD

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I have to imagine you grew up in the era of participation trophies.  He has 2 of the biggest 1st round busts on his watch in Zach and Becton. His 1st draft was a total washout.  Those fukk ups are hard to recover from.  Rodgers??  Hiring a 40 year old is the sign of a talented GM???

How do you figure? His two big bust you say are so huge is a QB, that position is expected to bust, and becton that got hurt. Not really great argument here.

His first draft was maccs crap scouts and reports. Hard to draft when all the info is sus. You fail to mention the out of control spending on do nothing vets he inherited, how he had to not only fix that, but also that over paid roster was pretty much worst talent wise too.

How he had to flip bums for firsts and his grand plan gave us the greatest draft we have ever had netting sauce Wilson jj and hall.

Never mind fixing the culture and FO structure, getting rid of gase and the other stupid stuff we have had for years. I mean he literally took us from doing almost everything wrong to doing everything right in alignment with Ozzy and Raven and then eagles.

Hell them your grand take is hating on Rodgers. I'm not sure why I'm even responding to you. You can't see the obvious and infor one am so glad that we are Finally at a place where hall of game talent doesn't mind coming here, and that we are drafting future hall of fame talent too. 

Joe is a great GM 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

How do you figure? His two big bust you say are so huge is a QB, that position is expected to bust, and becton that got hurt. Not really great argument here.

His first draft was maccs crap scouts and reports. Hard to draft when all the info is sus. You fail to mention the out of control spending on do nothing vets he inherited, how he had to not only fix that, but also that over paid roster was pretty much worst talent wise too.

How he had to flip bums for firsts and his grand plan gave us the greatest draft we have ever had netting sauce Wilson jj and hall.

Never mind fixing the culture and FO structure, getting rid of gase and the other stupid stuff we have had for years. I mean he literally took us from doing almost everything wrong to doing everything right in alignment with Ozzy and Raven and then eagles.

Hell them your grand take is hating on Rodgers. I'm not sure why I'm even responding to you. You can't see the obvious and infor one am so glad that we are Finally at a place where hall of game talent doesn't mind coming here, and that we are drafting future hall of fame talent too. 

Joe is a great GM 

Funny you needed to write a full book to justify a guy who's record is worse than McCagnon's. At what point do you simply look at the results.  

J

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2024 at 10:10 AM, Jet Nut said:

…..the usual suspects want to fire everyone and are calling JD and Saleh lame ducks.  

They’re being described as lame ducks because they’re entering the final seasons of their respective contracts. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

They’re being described as lame ducks because they’re entering the final seasons of their respective contracts. 

I get that there extensions haven’t happened but the idea that someone isn’t signing with the Jets because of it or that their firing is coming in reality isn’t even happening.  We argue that with a Brisset we make the playoffs last season and today if we sign a Bisset like QB and have Rodgers everyone is still getting fired? 

I get that there extensions haven’t happened but the idea that someone isn’t signing with the Jets because of it or that their firing is coming in reality isn’t even happening.  We argue that with a Brisset we make the playoffs last season and today if we sign a Bisset like QB and have Rodgers everyone is still getting fired? 

Fish has a very valid point ... Unless it's a one year deal a lot of guys will scoff at coming.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Fish has a very valid point ... Unless it's a one year deal a lot of guys will scoff at coming.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Fish didn’t mention anyone scoffing at signing here, just why they’re called lame ducks. 
if they’re offered the best deal they’ll sign just like FAs do 95% of the time.  Whoever signs here, a top OL or WR, they’re still playing, with these players, no matter who’s coaching in 2025.  And if the CS is let go because they’re not good enough things could be better in 25

On 2/17/2024 at 2:35 PM, WowOhWow said:

First time in his tenure here that JD goes into an offseason in do or die mode. He’s been a bit of a golden boy since he got here and the pressure is now on, considering how dreadful his teams have been.  Reality has caught up to him. He’s no longer an unknown quantity. He’s been terrible and this offseason could very well be his last stand. He needs a great offseason…that translates to results.

He basically got here by not getting a competent backup QB after Rodgers got hurt.  The phone rang, from a few quarterbacks looking for get back into the NFL.  Not a single one of them was better than what we wound up with?   And it took weeks after the injury to even bring in a new QB who turned out to be awful.

Douglass deserves to be on thin ice.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that there extensions haven’t happened.....

Understood.  My reply was only in re: any fan objections to the use of the term "lame duck".  They simply are, currently, lame ducks.  Till Woody changes it, they will remain so, so use of that term is 100% appropriate.

.....but the idea that someone isn’t signing with the Jets because of it.....

Free Agency hasn't begun yet, so no one is signing anywhere yet, for any reason yet.

As to projecting if Saleh/JD being in their final contract year may have an influence on prospective Free Agents, I'd argue it absolutely could.  I doubt it would be the primary or even secondary cause, but it certainly could be a cause.  Nothing unrealistic about that.  Someone looking for long-term stability may shy away from a situation such as ours.

.....or that their firing is coming in reality isn’t even happening.

It seems quite clear they are not being fired before the 2024 NFL season.  I agree. 

Claims to the contrary are simply wishfull thinking by some folks.

We argue that with a Brisset we make the playoffs last season and today if we sign a Bisset like QB and have Rodgers everyone is still getting fired? 

As always, the future will depend on the results.

So far the JD regime is 27-56 over five seasons, 20-46 if you give JD a pass on his first contract season due to his late hiring.

That's five losing seasons out of five.

That's five years with offenses finishing 31st, 32nd, 28th, 29th & 29th in scoring.

That's a year with Rodgers, acquired at great cost, where we got...4 plays.  

So yes, 2024's results will absolutely lay the ground work for what will happen to this regime.  If the Jets fail to field a playoff team, it is very likely (IMO) that both JD and Saleh will not be back with the club in 2025. 

No one gets six losing seasons and then gets a long-term contract extension.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Funny you needed to write a full book to justify a guy who's record is worse than McCagnon's. At what point do you simply look at the results.  

J

Well I mean i left alot out because there literally is pages of his achievements and good deeds worthy of consideration.

You can cherry pick and exaggerate minor setbacks and things he can't control, but I'm. It sure who you will convince other than SOJF that fight every day to stay in their misery.

How is literally the opposite is macc. Which is was a huge win for this team.

But please go on with your arguments...

rodgers whaa whaa whaa 

the kid mero crying GIF by Desus & Mero

• Thumb Down 1

J
Do you really think Maccagnan was a better GM based on the team's record? Yikes.

The Jets were on a path to trying to build something sustainable with young players (Zach Wilson, AVT, Sauce, JJ, QW, Breece, Garrett Wilson) but Wilson turning out to be a bust threw a big wrench into things that has only been compounded by shoehorning Aaron Rodgers into the team to make it Win-Now.  Make no mistake, it's really only Win Now because of Rodger's age and sudden injury propensity.  With the exception of QB (and needing a OL or two), the Jets were on a path to solid roster building which is why JD was brought here.  This whole Rodgers, Hackett, Lazard, Cobb situation has put JD and the team in precarious position.  Most importantly, it puts JD in a spot where he may feel pressure to sacrifice the future for the present and put some future Salary Cap bombs in the roster.  This will become evident if the Jets are forced (not want) to trade or let any of the big four (Sauce, GW, JJ, Breece) depart after their rookie deals.

• Upvote 2

On 2/17/2024 at 7:33 PM, talonmm said:

I can't help but wonder, if JD had just brought in a competent back up QB last year when Rodgers went down, if last season would have turned out different.

I can't help but wonder if JD didn't blow the highest pick in 30 years on Zach wilson, if everything would be different 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Douglas was actually hired on June 7th 2019.  His first draft was April 23, 2020.  Unlike most GM's who are hired right after the season and have their first draft in April.  JD was actually hired shortly after the 2019 draft.  

His first pick was Becton over the chalk pick Whirfs.  His first pick in 2021 was Zach over the chalk pick Fields.  Say what you want about Fields.  His 10X the QB Zach is and he has serious trade value.

If he didn't get his own staff in before the 2020 draft it's on him.

Sadly there is an argument that the best player on the Jets current team was drafted by Mac and Adams who Mac drafted brought back real draft capital.  Even Darnold brought back serious draft capital.  Lets see what we get for Zach.  

I actually like Douglas.  He's mediocre but that's the best you can expect with Woody.  We have to move on from Saleh ASAP but I'm okay keeping Douglas around if we actually get a good HC.   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, Joe Douglas entered "desperation, save my job" mode last year and it was the worst year he's had with the Jets. I expect more of the same, dedicating the entire off-season around a 40 year old QB coming off an Achilles injury.

I'm sort of surprised JD didn't opt to fire Saleh and bring in one of the solid HC who were available.  It would have made sense to set the team up for a serious run this year with a top coaching staff. 

On 2/17/2024 at 2:35 PM, WowOhWow said:

First time in his tenure here that JD goes into an offseason in do or die mode. He’s been a bit of a golden boy since he got here and the pressure is now on, considering how dreadful his teams have been.  Reality has caught up to him. He’s no longer an unknown quantity. He’s been terrible and this offseason could very well be his last stand. He needs a great offseason…that translates to results.

From what I heard very recently from an insider about how the Jets brass works, I admit I have been wrong.  I always believed that Woody had the final say on all matters and that he often overruled his GM and or HC.  That's not the way things have been going.  Nor does JD have the final say over Bobby S.  Between them and the higher ups in the scouting department, the Jets are what was described as "management by committee".  The collective often yields to the guy that that is the most dramatic or to the majority.  Sometimes it is Woody and sometimes it is not.  There is no absolute master that is carrying out a focused and comprehensive plan.  They have multiple chefs pissing in the batter constantly. For those of us who have tried to suggest a narrative as far as who is making the bad decisions... It's been teamwork.  

JD will be involved in this off season, but the moves wont be made in accordance with a single focused vision.  

On 2/20/2024 at 6:47 AM, Biggs said:

The Jets will be fine.  Woody will die eventually.  I’m planning to outlive him.  I think I have a shot to outlive JD if they don’t come up with a drug that suppresses the desire to eat.

Unfortunately, this is our future once Woody goes:

IMG_7963.jpeg

image.jpeg.551e1117326738c255352114f1fdbe16.jpeg

IMG_7964.webp

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'm sort of surprised JD didn't opt to fire Saleh and bring in one of the solid HC who were available.  It would have made sense to set the team up for a serious run this year with a top coaching staff. 

I don't think he had that option.

Douglas, Saleh, Hackett and Rodgers are all tied at the hip. Either next year will work (and Saleh and Douglas probably get extensions) or it will flop and they're all fired.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think he had that option.

Douglas, Saleh, Hackett and Rodgers are all tied at the hip. Either next year will work (and Saleh and Douglas probably get extensions) or it will flop and they're all fired.

I think you're correct.  It's hard to believe that if JD's job was on the line and he had real authority that he would have stuck with Saleh with the quality of available HC's out there and a playoff mandate.

Douglas was actually hired on June 7th 2019.  His first draft was April 23, 2020.  Unlike most GM's who are hired right after the season and have their first draft in April.  JD was actually hired shortly after the 2019 draft.  
His first pick was Becton over the chalk pick Whirfs.  His first pick in 2021 was Zach over the chalk pick Fields.  Say what you want about Fields.  His 10X the QB Zach is and he has serious trade value.
If he didn't get his own staff in before the 2020 draft it's on him.
Sadly there is an argument that the best player on the Jets current team was drafted by Mac and Adams who Mac drafted brought back real draft capital.  Even Darnold brought back serious draft capital.  Lets see what we get for Zach.  
I actually like Douglas.  He's mediocre but that's the best you can expect with Woody.  We have to move on from Saleh ASAP but I'm okay keeping Douglas around if we actually get a good HC.   
So we are giving credit to Maccagnan for drafting Darnold (who he traded picks for) and Adams (who he took over Mahomes and Watson because the genius had picked Hackenberg the year before) and none to Douglas for unloading those clowns for a haul? I get not liking Douglas but that's a bit over the top.

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Well I mean i left alot out because there literally is pages of his achievements and good deeds worthy of consideration.

You can cherry pick and exaggerate minor setbacks and things he can't control, but I'm. It sure who you will convince other than SOJF that fight every day to stay in their misery.

How is literally the opposite is macc. Which is was a huge win for this team.

But please go on with your arguments...

rodgers whaa whaa whaa 

the kid mero crying GIF by Desus & Mero

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:
10 hours ago, southparkcpa said:
J

Do you really think Maccagnan was a better GM based on the team's record? Yikes.

As a successful CPA, with many successful clients, I simply adopt what successful people do. I look at results, keep opinion and emotion out of it,  and make changes and or assessments based on those results.  His record is now going on 5 plus years... no verbal explanations are needed. 

As a successful CPA, with many successful clients, I simply adopt what successful people do. I look at results, keep opinion and emotion out of it,  and make changes and or assessments based on those results.  His record is now going on 5 plus years... no verbal explanations are needed. 
That's hysterical!

On 2/18/2024 at 7:35 AM, doitny said:

oh course it would have. we started Tim Boyle in a game we lose by 5 to Atlanta. vs NE at home we lost by 5 and had 171 total yds of offense. the Raiders was another winnable games we lost by 4. the lost to the Chiefs by 3. 

that decision not to get a good backup killed them. but im not sure we could have got a good backup QB. Rodgers had a very good history career. he hardly got injured. if you look at all the good backups they never go to a team like that. they usually go to a team where they had a good chance to start. maybe that changes this year with Rodgers injury.

all of what you said maybe true but JD did nothing to fix the situation where he had a B-up QB that was the worst satistical QB in the leaguefor the last two years.  Unless Woody said I am not paying another QB and thereby made JD/RS march with that stiff, he blew it.

As for JD being on the hot seat its about effin time... WIN or GTFO!

My take on JD is that he's been a swing for the fences type of GM. Becton, Zach, Will McD, signing of Rogers, etc. and with that comes some serious misses. We have a QB in place (if remotely healthy he should at least function, which is saying a lot compared to what we've had), he has some skill guys and he has a defense. Let's see if he can pick solid, complimentary professionals that can plug into vital roles. If he can we should be alright. But if he's going to continue to swing for the fences with risky picks I don't think he'll be around here long unless he strikes gold again (see Sauce, Wilson, Breece, etc).

On 2/21/2024 at 12:47 PM, southparkcpa said:

Fair enough. I think you are right his record stands for itself.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:21 AM, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, Joe Douglas entered "desperation, save my job" mode last year and it was the worst year he's had with the Jets. I expect more of the same, dedicating the entire off-season around a 40 year old QB coming off an Achilles injury.

Lol that is certainly one take

On 2/21/2024 at 4:41 PM, bicketybam said:
On 2/21/2024 at 4:05 PM, southparkcpa said:
Typical response  from a struggling client after I explain it to them.  I'm not surprised one bit.

You are one proud CPA!

Absolutely....  the profession has provided me a pretty good living.  I've worked with/for many top executives. (CEO of Delta was a PWC partner, same with CEO of Oakley, Cavin Klein and many others). I worked with dozens of men who lead billion dollar companies.  They don't make decisions like the Jets do. The Jets record is not poor luck, it's decades of poor ownership.