Jets Zach Wilson evaluating trade options, unlikely to be cut. Return to Jets?

21 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Let’s recap:

- Zach plays and is terrible (for the third year in a row, after they tried to replace him last season)

- Saleh buries him behind the scenes and blames him for the teams failures 

- Zach is benched for sucking

- Tim Boyle is so bad they turn back to Zach 

- Zach refuses to play

- The Assistant GM leaks a story that Zach is a gutless coward who is quitting on his teammates 

- The Jets promise Zach they’ll trade him in the off-season

- Zach reluctantly plays and has the best half off football of his career…

- Before he takes a bunch of hits and basically fakes a concussion to get out of there a week later

- Zach is MIA the rest of the season

- Woody Johnson, speculated to be his biggest advocate all along, tells the media Zach sucking is what screwed the season and insists we need a real backup QB in 2024

There is zero chance he’s back. Assuming there’s no market for him we’ll likely trade him and a 5th for a 7th just to dump the salary.

I don’t see there ever being a final straw with Zach, especially when last years Jaguars game somehow wasn’t it. Perhaps if he can find a willing trade partner, but that just seems unlikely. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t see there ever being a final straw with Zach, especially when last years Jaguars game somehow wasn’t it. Perhaps if he can find a willing trade partner, but that just seems unlikely. 

He effectively refused to play this year and the team shamed him into it, at which point he kinda BS'd an injury to not play for us.

Unless you think there's some big misunderstanding I think its very clear he cannot be brought back.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

He effectively refused to play this year and the team shamed him into it, at which point he kinda BS'd an injury to not play for us.

Unless you think there's some big misunderstanding I think it’s very clear he cannot be brought back.

If it were really that big of a problem with ownership then they would have just cut him (which was the right move). I mean we can say someone is going to eat some of his contract in a trade, but the likelihood of that happening feels like zero. 

You think the 28 mil dead cap hit had anything to do with it? Dunce.

On 2/18/2024 at 12:25 PM, sourceworx said:

I really like the idea of trading for Sam Howell. It's better than picking a QB late in the draft.

I'm hoping they trade for him.The guy is a potential starter that could be QB of the future once Rogers retires. The guy was running for his life but handle himself really well unlike Zach.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

If it were really that big of a problem with ownership then they would have just cut him (which was the right move). I mean we can say someone is going to eat some of his contract in a trade, but the likelihood of that happening feels like zero. 

Which is what they'll do if they can't figure out a trade that makes sense for them.

5 hours ago, bicketybam said:
7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You think the 28 mil dead cap hit had anything to do with it? Dunce.

Oh wow dead cap

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2024 at 10:23 AM, T0mShane said:

Woody cast him out so he could force him to be back, though? Or to save $5.5 mil? They’re going to eat more than that to dump Uzomah.

Well publicly taking a giant dump on Zach's head didn't serve that purpose if Woody wants to save any of that $5.5MM for Zach.

They're not going to eat any money for Uzomah. He's a clean cut. There's dead cap, but that was just 2023 salary they restructured so it hit later instead of last year. All of it was paid last year, though; Uzomah's not due any guaranteed money & is a clean cut. It's Zach that still has guaranteed cash coming to him if he's cut. Only way out of paying it is to trade him and have someone else assume that guarantee.

Douglas has worked some magic before, so even his other documented shortcomings, this is the guy you'd want in trying to get the most for a player everyone knows is done with the Jets.

No one cares if Woody pays Zach another $5.5MM or 105.5MM. It's only about keeping Woody's $ so it doesn't eat up cap space. Truth is that $5.5MM is lost pretty easily on a cap ceiling that should be in the $240MM range.

• Post of the Week 1

On 2/18/2024 at 1:44 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Zach Wilson is going to pass for 175 yards with one TD and no ints in a losing effort, and Jets fans will be like "see, it was the Jets holding him back the whole time."

We're being told that HOF'er Aaron Rodgers needs a rebuilt OL (via FA and our 1st and possibly 3rd rounders) and a minimum of a WR2 (though probably a WR3 too).  Yet non-HOF'er ZW was blamed for the offense svcking, despite having to play with that awful supporting cast.

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2024 at 12:37 PM, varjet said:
  • Zach Wilson won almost half the games he started last year.  He was OPOTW!   Yes, when he was bad, he was high school QB bad.  But he had some NFL quality moments.    I am all for moving on from him, but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.  I think off the bench, he can win 2/4, 2/5 games.  He has statistically done that, even if his QB stats were horrible.  
    • But the bigger problem is that Hackett cannot come up with a game plan for ZW to win 40-50% of his games. 

Hackett is still learning about the offense.  Rumor has it that Breece Hall can catch.

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2024 at 6:41 AM, Matt39 said:

I’m not sure why Wilson is getting permission to seek his own trade destination, but it’s starting to feel like his return for year 4 is inevitable, especially if he’s allowed to pick his spot. If the Jets don’t have control here, then the likeliest landing spot is either the 2 or the 3 QB in New York.

He should be the number 2! Pay cut and keep him. Hack was the issue not Zach.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Pay cut and keep him. 

why would Zach take a pay cut when his year 4 rookie contract money is guaranteed? 

his contract sucks. No one wants to trade for a guy making 5M cash to be a developmental QB3 and he's not good enough to be QB2 

he's 11 in dead cap on a June 1 cut, he's 5.5 dead cap on a trade - the best case scenario is something like a 6th for a 7th and Zach with the Jets eating a bunch of that money 

Just now, bitonti said:

why would Zach take a pay cut when his year 4 rookie contract money is guaranteed? 

his contract sucks. No one wants to trade for a guy making 5M cash to be a developmental QB3 and he's not good enough to be QB2 

he's 11 in dead cap on a June 1 cut, he's 5.5 dead cap on a trade - the best case scenario is something like a 6th for a 7th and Zach with the Jets eating a bunch of that money 

Idk it be nice!

He is more than enough as qb 2. Pay him the 5 mil and move on.

The best thing is he stay right here on the line and Hackett gets replaced before the season starts 

• Thumb Down 1

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Dallas leaped all over Trey Lance for similar commitment and cash out lay last year.

If some team looks at the pathetic jets and their pathetic oc and oline and says hey we had this guy rated pretty high in his draft year, why not toss out a late round pick?  He could be traded, #3 guy or not.

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2024 at 10:13 AM, dbatesman said:

Based on Woody’s comments, I think they’ll take QB2 seriously this year, but it’s no worse than 50/50 Wilson is back as QB3.

They will cut him before that happens IMO. He would be a huge distraction. QB1 provides all the distractions they can handle.

On 2/18/2024 at 1:00 PM, Matt39 said:

The issue at hand here is Zach is reportedly being given permission to seek his preferred team. Why? Who knows (unless he has a no trade clause that we don’t know about) but this is going to handcuff things if the Jets can’t make this deal on their own terms. If he’s back, I don’t see the Jets paying money for a big time backup. It will likely be a Simeien level player.

Not necessarily a no-trade clause, but a way for Zach and the Jets to gauge interest from other teams.  I believe some team will offer up a 7th round draft pick for him.  He only has 1 year left on his contract, and a 7th round pick should be reasonable.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Dallas leaped all over Trey Lance for similar commitment and cash out lay last year.

If some team looks at the pathetic jets and their pathetic oc and oline and says hey we had this guy rated pretty high in his draft year, why not toss out a late round pick?  He could be traded, #3 guy or not.

The 49ers are smarter than the Jets.  They were not going to let Lance embarrass himself and destroy his confidence and value. 

The Jets crapped on Zach Wilson in all ways.   

My bet is Jets get a 6th, give a 7th and assume 1/2 his salary.  That would be a great deal for the Jets.  

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We're being told that HOF'er Aaron Rodgers needs a rebuilt OL (via FA and our 1st and possibly 3rd rounders) and a minimum of a WR2 (though probably a WR3 too).  Yet non-HOF'er ZW was blamed for the offense svcking, despite having to play with that awful supporting cast.

The Jets OL sucked,  Haket sucks and Zach isn't an NFL QB.  All 3 can be true.  Blaming Zach for all 3 being true is what surviors who should have been canned do.

33 minutes ago, Alka said:

Not necessarily a no-trade clause, but a way for Zach and the Jets to gauge interest from other teams.  I believe some team will offer up a 7th round draft pick for him.  He only has 1 year left on his contract, and a 7th round pick should be reasonable.

Would also depend how much of the salary the Jets would be willing to eat. Zach on another roster, presumably being a #3 won’t be getting 5 million or whatever from his new team.

• Upvote 1