Saleh not expected to attend scouting combine ***UPDATE- may be attending now****

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It’s a I’m not uprooting my time off and hearing about it from my wife when I’m getting fired anyways type of move. 

https://nypost.com/2022/07/10/jets-coach-robert-saleh-finds-escape-in-his-golf-obsession/

Saleh didn’t play as a kid growing up outside of Detroit. He took the game up when his wife saw so many of his coaching peers playing in their free time and nudged him to join them

Saleh recalled Sanaa once asking him what the other coaches were doing during their free time and Saleh said, “They’re probably playing golf.’’ 

“Well, why don’t you take up golf?’’ she asked him. 

“And the next week, the last practice of OTAs, we had a bowling outing with [Texans head coach Gary] Kubiak and I happened to roll the best score among the coaches,’’ Saleh recalled. “Because of that, I won a $300 gift card to a golf store. My wife had been encouraging me to play as a way to network with the other coaches and colleagues, so I took that as kind of my sign to get into golf. That’s how I got started in golf. I blame my wife.’’ 

• Haha 3

The only practical purpose of the combine is to get the medicals on players. Outside of that it's pretty useless 

Saleh can just get an email or however they do it on a players medical evals. 
Its marketed to the fans to create revenue
You would be better off actually scouting non power 5 schools or going to div 2 schools to actually find unknown talent 
Disagree ... Face to face conversations go a long way if the coach is semi-capable of reading people.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

$5 Million. Woody Johnson doesn't pay head coaches. There's a reason why the Jets only hire assistant coaches as Head Coaches, with only exception being Adam Gase, who literally had zero other options.

Woody is administratively cheap. One could argue that Woody being duped into giving Joe D a sixth year proves this false, but that didn't really cost him anything other than time.

There's not great data on head coaching salaries, but here's the first source I could find: https://en.as.com/nfl/who-are-the-highest-and-lowest-paid-nfl-coaches-n-2/.

Woody is a cheap loser.

$200+ M on salaries.  Ne of the nicest practice facilities on expensive real estate etc and he’s hiring coordinators to save 2-4 M.  
Who were the high priced HCs he’s passed to save peanuts?  And you’re right no one knows what they’re making. 
But the last thing anyone can bitch about is how cheap Woody is.  There’s plenty to complain about, being cheap isn’t really one of them.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Don’t take it that seriously. It’s a tweak. I have no idea what he’s doing on a day to day basis. The combine would probably be something to attend though. 

There’s a lot of very successful HCs from very successful orgs that don’t agree.  
They’re probably of the HCs coach and personnel people scout

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Disagree ... Face to face conversations go a long way if the coach is semi-capable of reading people.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

You can schedule all that stuff outside the combine or just send a scout to interview said player and watch the interviews later. 

Its a useless marketing thing. Nobody cared about the combine 30 years ago

Plus lots of this stuff is known a couple years in advance 

1 hour ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

You can schedule all that stuff outside the combine or just send a scout to interview said player and watch the interviews later. 

Its a useless marketing thing. Nobody cared about the combine 30 years ago

Plus lots of this stuff is known a couple years in advance 

How long do you think it'll take Saleh to get to the pro day of every kid he can meet over a few days in Indy?

21 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

The Internet exists....

Contrary to popular opinion, speaking to somebody on a screen isn't the same as getting a feel for them in person.

How do people not know this?

SMH....For those who didn't realize this is a thing.  

The power of face-to-face time

How important is it for existing colleagues and potential business partners to spend time together in the same space? Research shows face-to-face requests are 34 times more effective than those sent by email, and that a physical handshake promotes cooperation and influences negotiation outcomes for the better.

MIT’s Human Dynamics Lab spent hundreds of hours tracking performance drivers across industries by collecting data from electronic badges that covered everything from tone of voice to body language. The results showed unequivocally that the most valuable communication is done in-person, and that typically 35 percent of the variation in a given team’s performance was explained by the number of times team members actually spoke face-to-face.

48 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Contrary to popular opinion, speaking to somebody on a screen isn't the same as getting a feel for them in person.

Saleh has all kinds of scouts at the combine. There will be more than a few prospect visits that come to the jets facility for private workouts. 

Again, the combine is about medicals, official size, and that's it. 

The rest is for marketing purposes 

Most of the jets scouting staff is more than aware of these prospects for at least a couple years. They probably know what they ate for lunch in high school, in fact they probably know more about some of these prospects than their own wife. Sad but true

Which further makes you wonder about the Zach Wilson pick

Maybe Woody is lonely or wants to be Mormon 

11 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Saleh has all kinds of scouts at the combine. There will be more than a few prospect visits that come to the jets facility for private workouts. 

Again, the combine is about medicals, official size, and that's it. 

The rest is for marketing purposes 

Right, the white board sessions behind closed doors are just there to sell more diet cokes.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Imagine being a head coach who suffered through three years of a mentally weak country club mush at QB whose bitch-assness was written all over his face from the jump and still entrusting the same guy who drafted that mush to go get you more players without your help. 

• Thumb Down 1

I think if you gave Saleh truth serum and asked him if he still wants to coach the Jets right now, he’d tell you no. He looks and acts like a guy that’d be super pumped to get introduced as San Fran’s defensive coordinator next week, knowing he’s got $30(?) mil in the bank plus whatever he can get for his partially renovated Jersey mansion

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Well clearly the face to face conversation was effective with Jermaine Johnson who said to Joe Douglas to "Come Get Me" as he left his office.

I do believe when you have the ability to talk/meet a person over time you get to see if the conversation/mindset changes.  In other words how good did the agent train the player to answer questions or if the player was truly genuine about the answers.

As for Selah not attending.  I do believe he should have attended the Senior Bowl practices during the week and that every coach should.  One specific reason would be to support your assistant coach who is being recognized and two it is really one of the better interviews watching these kids compete in person. 

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if you gave Saleh truth serum and asked him if he still wants to coach the Jets right now, he’d tell you no. He looks and acts like a guy that’d be super pumped to get introduced as San Fran’s defensive coordinator next week, knowing he’s got $30(?) mil in the bank plus whatever he can get for his partially renovated Jersey mansion

That custom built mansion in jersey he foolishly bought ain’t paying for itself Tom

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

SMH....For those who didn't realize this is a thing.  

The power of face-to-face time

How important is it for existing colleagues and potential business partners to spend time together in the same space? Research shows face-to-face requests are 34 times more effective than those sent by email, and that a physical handshake promotes cooperation and influences negotiation outcomes for the better.

MIT’s Human Dynamics Lab spent hundreds of hours tracking performance drivers across industries by collecting data from electronic badges that covered everything from tone of voice to body language. The results showed unequivocally that the most valuable communication is done in-person, and that typically 35 percent of the variation in a given team’s performance was explained by the number of times team members actually spoke face-to-face.

in the context of this specific discussion I agree although I do not beleive it is important for Saleh to be there given it is a scouting combine and that is what your Scouting staff is for.

Now as far as face to face, lets take that to the corporate world and the main reason companies are giving for being in the office. In most situations, bunch of nonsense. When I am in the office at least 80% of the people around me, other floors etc are on zoom for the majority of the day. When they are not or in many cases even when they are, heads are buried in their phones. 

37 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Well clearly the face to face conversation was effective with Jermaine Johnson who said to Joe Douglas to "Come Get Me" as he left his office.

I do believe when you have the ability to talk/meet a person over time you get to see if the conversation/mindset changes.  In other words how good did the agent train the player to answer questions or if the player was truly genuine about the answers.

As for Selah not attending.  I do believe he should have attended the Senior Bowl practices during the week and that every coach should.  One specific reason would be to support your assistant coach who is being recognized and two it is really one of the better interviews watching these kids compete in person. 

Wait he didn’t go to the Senior Bowl with Ulbrich coaching? Wtf?

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You’d think that a coach entering a do or die year would show some urgency to be involved in as many aspects of the team as he can get to, so skipping the offseason stuff, again, should raise an eyebrow. The Combine is generally stupid, but there’s value in getting face time with those players and other coaches alike. Holing up in New Jersey and passively hoping things turn around for the franchise is perpetual assistant coach behavior. 

what is your opinion on all of the other coaches situations and them missing the combine as well?  Just curious if the bias is just solely directed at this team or at all of the coaches doing the same thing.  

In my opinion, which if you don't agree with is fine, you have your own prerogative and narrative you want to keep, is that the combine does not mean much in terms of coaches being there. You can make a case for face to face interviews but all of those are recorded so that the coach can see them and in most cases they will bring guys in for private workouts which will have more meaning.  

I think the issue for many is they believe that while Saleh (or any of the coaches on that list i guess unless we just assume he is the only one that will delinquent in doing work) is in florham park he'll be sitting there staring at the wall.  

While in some world is it completely possible he will be doing nothing? sure.  But is it also fair to make the assumption that perhaps the work that gets done by these coaches during that time is more beneficial than sitting watching guys run 40s?  

Just perspective my guy... have a good day

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Why? He went out and told us his goal was to golf a lot. Are we not supposed to take him at his word? For a young coach, it was strange. Plus not going to the combine, cancelling mini camp, short practices. What’s his commitment level? All we can take away is what we see and what he says. 

as fair as it is to take that and make that assumption.

It is equally fair to assume that he is working hard as he has  his whole career to get to this level and in fact doing his job in the building during that time.   

Whether or not he is good at that job is an entirely different conversation, but to assume anyone in the nfl just doesnt care and shirks work is frankly silly in my opinion.  You are entitled to yours as well, we just do not see it the same.

it's all good dude, Have a good day. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

$200+ M on salaries.  Ne of the nicest practice facilities on expensive real estate etc and he’s hiring coordinators to save 2-4 M.  
Who were the high priced HCs he’s passed to save peanuts?  And you’re right no one knows what they’re making. 
But the last thing anyone can bitch about is how cheap Woody is.  There’s plenty to complain about, being cheap isn’t really one of them.

Woody isn’t cheap at all, I’ve learned to ignore most the ignorant comments made here.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Woody isn’t cheap at all, I’ve learned ignore most the ignorant comments made here.

it seems the majority of the cheap comments come back to him not building a stadium of his own and sharing with the Giants. 

I'll never understand it and with you that he is far from cheap - problem is the money he spends typically does not work out. That is more sympomatic of a poorly run org - not being cheap. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

There's a salary cap floor in the NFL requiring NFL teams to spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period -- so who cares that he spends $200M on salaries? Like all owners, he is forced to go to the market to hit the requirements of the CBA.

It also doesn't really matter what the underlying reason is for hiring assistant coaches as Head Coaches. Whether Woody would be willing to open his checkbook for a Harbaugh is irrelevant, as no coach with an ounce of self-respect or other options would ever choose to come to this organization. 

Woody is "strategically" cheap. The nice facility was a one-time cost of $75M that can amortized over its lifetime. It's 16 years old and will be around for another 20 years, at least. That's ~$2.5M a year for the facility...not exactly bank breaking for a team that's worth $6 billion and generating $500M+ in revenue every year.

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

as fair as it is to take that and make that assumption.

It is equally fair to assume that he is working hard as he has  his whole career to get to this level and in fact doing his job in the building during that time.   

Whether or not he is good at that job is an entirely different conversation, but to assume anyone in the nfl just doesnt care and shirks work is frankly silly in my opinion.  You are entitled to yours as well, we just do not see it the same.

it's all good dude, Have a good day. 

Why is it silly? He literally skipped the Senior Bowl. The time commitment for the NfL is not associate at a white shoe law firm level. No ones expecting 80 hours a week. Doing the offseason stuff, like showing up to the Senior Bowl to 1. Support your assistant coach and 2. Do your job. Wtf else is he doing?  I’m sorry this is just laziness.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Local man who won Super Bowl seen at the senior bowl

Matt I usually roll my eyes at the constant negativity here…. Holy crap I agree with you on this thread completely, why isn’t he there scouting and forging a relationship with potential players… it’s such a smug move.  I think he wants out of here.

• Upvote 1