Couple of things from Movin the Chains at the Combine

49 minutes ago, section314 said:

One other thing… they were talking with Jared Verse and Kirwin asked him who was an OT who was really tough to play against. His answer, Tyler Guyton. Kirwin jumped in and said “I love Guyton, was the best tackle at Sr Bowl.” Guyton was a guy that I hoped we could get in a trade down to get back in rd 2. Getting the feeling he may be 1st or 2nd OT off the board when we get to draft.

I have said it before, but I am not feeling Fuaga is a 10 pick.  Look where Anton Harrison or even Darrishaw went.  Don't look at AVT-that was a terrible value pick.  that was a Mike Haight/Jeff Lageman pick.  The guys who prompted Mel Kiper to say that they Jets don't know how to draft.  

Fuaga will be a good player, but he is not 10.  One of WRs or even Bowers is a 10 value pick.  Or a defender.   People think GW and Drake London were good picks.  People think Becton, Neal and Ekwunu were not good picks.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have said it before, but I am not feeling Fuaga is a 10 pick.  Look where Anton Harrison or even Darrishaw went.  Don't look at AVT-that was a terrible value pick.  that was a Mike Haight/Jeff Lageman pick.  The guys who prompted Mel Kiper to say that they Jets don't know how to draft.  

Fuaga will be a good player, but he is not 10.  One of WRs or even Bowers is a 10 value pick.  Or a defender.   People think GW and Drake London were good picks.  People think Becton, Neal and Ekwunu were not good picks.  

Hope for Bowers, Alt or Fashanu - please no ****in Fuaga, it will be a really sh*tpick - you ll see

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheAustrian said:

Hope for Bowers, Alt or Fashanu - please no ****in Fuaga, it will be a really sh*tpick - you ll see

Who was the last run blocking RT to go high in the draft?  Becton?

If the Jets want Fuaga they need to trade down.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

So apparently Justin Fields is getting traded 100% Caleb will go 1

2 and 3 are toss ups

May have already been told he is being traded if that clip of him dancing around in his kitchen is any indication.  He seemed pretty happy.

I wonder what his fav destination would be?  Atlanta?  Pittsburgh?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

May have already been told he is being traded if that clip of him dancing around in his kitchen is any indication.  He seemed pretty happy.

I wonder what his fav destination would be?  Atlanta?  Pittsburgh?

👀👀👀👀

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

One other thing… they were talking with Jared Verse and Kirwin asked him who was an OT who was really tough to play against. His answer, Tyler Guyton. Kirwin jumped in and said “I love Guyton, was the best tackle at Sr Bowl.” Guyton was a guy that I hoped we could get in a trade down to get back in rd 2. Getting the feeling he may be 1st or 2nd OT off the board when we get to draft.

Podcaster I regularly listen to is a Steelers fan and does Steelers podcasts. He and his Steeler co-host have been talking positively about Guyton a lot, especially after the Senior Bowl. I doubt Guyton drops out of the first round. Some team will look at his physical attributes and will fall in love with him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Me to my JD doll when the Chiefs (w/ less cap flexibility than the Jets) tag and trade Snead at $21M per year while we potentially say goodbye to Huff for nothing … already for some reason ruling out using the franchise tag as a precursor to a trade

Calvin Lockhart Fighting GIF by Warner Archive

KC plays a balls out blitz scheme and ask a ton of their CBs.  And they are ready to move on if necessary

The jets play a conservative non blitz scheme and are going to keep a frigin ilb at 17 million a year/

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

What QB in this draft is better than Fields?

No one really knows, but it’s clear the Bears think that at least one QB in this draft is better than him. 

Fields has 3 years of pedestrian passing production at an NFL level. He’s not the slam dunk his fans think he is. 

21 hours ago, section314 said:

a lot of things ive seen is him an mims going in the 20s 

Could move up but if we traded back from 10 to the mid/late teens he's a great target. 

2 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

a lot of things ive seen is him an mims going in the 20s 

Could move up but if we traded back from 10 to the mid/late teens he's a great target. 

Look at prior drafts.  Tackles who could start year 1 go in round 1.  

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Look at prior drafts.  Tackles who could start year 1 go in round 1.  

I agree, thats why i said grab him in the mid teens lol

Maybe  you're agreeing? im not sure haha

Either way, yea theres a ton of good tackles and I think 6 will go in rd 1 probably. I think you could trade back to 15-19 and grab guyton

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I agree, thats why i said grab him in the mid teens lol

Maybe  you're agreeing? im not sure haha

Either way, yea theres a ton of good tackles and I think 6 will go in rd 1 probably. I think you could trade back to 15-19 and grab guyton

do you reach for Fuaga at 10 or try and get Fuaga or Guyton, plus a second rounder, 15-19,  I vote the latter.

I am hoping someone will pay up to draft Bowers or McCarthy at 10.  I think we should take that.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, varjet said:

People look at them as bad picks because they are not good players.  I kind of agree with your point, but if Fuaga is a good guard, people will defend the pick for an eternity.  You can say AVT was a terrible value, but people don't look at is a mistake even when it was a trade up.

19 hours ago, chirorob said:

Wirfs,

JD took Becton cause he was a LEFT TACKLE

Only he's not.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

People look at them as bad picks because they are not good players.  I kind of agree with your point, but if Fuaga is a good guard, people will defend the pick for an eternity.  You can say AVT was a terrible value, but people don't look at is a mistake even when it was a trade up.

Only he's not.

Given the jets dire need of a starting tackle, if they don’t trade back, take fuaga and he becomes a good guard, that’s not great use of the pick.  Alternatively, they could trade back, take another guy who becomes a tackle, and get a 2nd rounder as well.  But if they stay at 10 and go OL, that guy has to play tackle.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Given the jets dire need of a starting tackle, if they don’t trade back, take fuaga and he becomes a good guard, that’s not great use of the pick.  Alternatively, they could trade back, take another guy who becomes a tackle, and get a 2nd rounder as well.  But if they stay at 10 and go OL, that guy has to play tackle.

Better a good G than a bad T.  They can play AVT at RT.  I'd rather draft AVT than Evan Neal.  This whole WE HAVE TO DRAFT A SUCH AND SUCH is nonsense and it is how you get sh*tty players.  In fact, it may be how they ended up with Becton because he was "a left tackle."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Better a good G than a bad T.  They can play AVT at RT.  I'd rather draft AVT than Evan Neal.  This whole WE HAVE TO DRAFT A SUCH AND SUCH is nonsense and it is how you get sh*tty players.  In fact, it may be how they ended up with Becton because he was "a left tackle."

I say this firmly believing quite strongly in positional value and that a G at 10 is not the best allocation of resources.  Still, just saying I need a tackle so <insert whoever we think is top rated> has to be the pick sometimes nets you a sh*tty player and that is never a good answer.  Honestly, I'd take another EDGE over a sh*tty tackle, but these guys do things that extend their time and don't stick to their beliefs, so whatever.

22 hours ago, TheAustrian said:

IMO, Fashanu is more potential. He could be the best of the bunch but could easily be the worst. Fuaga is the best run blocker in the class.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I say this firmly believing quite strongly in positional value and that a G at 10 is not the best allocation of resources.  Still, just saying I need a tackle so <insert whoever we think is top rated> has to be the pick sometimes nets you a sh*tty player and that is never a good answer.  Honestly, I'd take another EDGE over a sh*tty tackle, but these guys do things that extend their time and don't stick to their beliefs, so whatever.

To quote myself again, to reiterate my point, last year everyone was on board 100% we needed to draft offense.  I was not too high on the McDonald pick, but IMO I was on record that I would have taken Gonzalez (who I believe I called Hernandez a couple of months ago if you're listening @section314).  He ain't offense either.   You draft players you think will be special.  That is how to build a team IMO.  These guys have worked that well in some areas, but in others we appear totally ****ed.  

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2024 at 6:31 PM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Me to my JD doll when the Chiefs (w/ less cap flexibility than the Jets) tag and trade Snead at $21M per year while we potentially say goodbye to Huff for nothing … already for some reason ruling out using the franchise tag as a precursor to a trade

Calvin Lockhart Fighting GIF by Warner Archive

Teams may give up compensation for Sneed and an eventually big contract.

Will teams do the same for Huff?

I'd say no.

They may be letting him see what's available to him to lower his expectations.

51 minutes ago, hawk said:

Teams may give up compensation for Sneed and an eventually big contract.

Will teams do the same for Huff?

I'd say no.

They may be letting him see what's available to him to lower his expectations.

I don't know why they wouldn't.  Depends on how much they value him and their perceived chances of landing him as an unrestricted free agent.  Why wouldn't a team trade a 3rd and negotiate exclusively with Huff.

In any event, JD likely agrees with you and he's betting the market for Huff is softer than some anticipated.  If his read is correct, then the Jets might have a shot at re-signing him.  I don't like our chances because Huff wants more playing time.  

JD is taking a gamble here because this is a situation where we very likely will lose him for nothing.  The guy is going to have a market. 

The thing I don't get is why show your cards and tell everyone you're not going to franchise him.  They could have waited to see how the combine went for DLine (today), which might impact the overall Edge market.

A better example might be Huff compared to Tee Higgins.  The latter is coming off a weak year, yet the Bengals franchised him and are open to trading him.