Buffalo cutting tons of salary

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

If they were indeed $40M over, how in the blue hell could they now have $25M in space after just these moves?  I think Poyer and White alone is like $16M in savings.  You're telling me those other guys add up to about $50M in savings?

...am I missing something that wasn't included in these tweets/OP?

EDIT: I'm a moron....he meant "it cuts $25M into that $40M over", not that they will have $25M in space.  Carry on.

Von Miller is also restructring his deal

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bills-get-significant-salary-cap-savings-as-von-miller-agrees-to-restructure-contract

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, extmenace said:

The last two years were where the bills window was opened its widest. The josh Allen contract is kicking in now, the big cap numbers start now. 

Allen is gong to be restructured and open up cap room for them. That's why his and Mahomes contracts were considered "team friendly". When Tua and Dak get paid, he won't even be paid in the top 10. They can basically add cap whenever it's needed with his contract.

14 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

It's crazy how many good OLmen end up on FA, every single year.  It's almost like someone has talked about this over and over again about how easy it actually is to fix your OL, its just that JD sucks donkey balls.

Or becton and Vera Tucker got hurt and the historically bad QB play exacerbated the oline deficiency 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

2023 starter position losses:

1. Leonard Floyd
  2. Gabe Davis
  3. Mitch Morse
  4. Tre’Davious White
  5. Jordan Poyer
  6. Micah Hyde
  7. Tyrel Dodson (though they get Milano back)
  8. rotating DTs DaQuan Jones / Tim Settle / dirty player extraordinaire Jordan Phillips / more (basically every Bills IDL not named Ed Oliver is a FA)

plus

1. A.J. Epenesa
  2. Dane Jackson
  3. Deonte Harty (addition by subtraction; their Mecole Hardman)

plus

• who knows what discipline may yet come down on Von Miller (not that he's been anything since his ACL injury, and just turned 35)
  • remains to be seen if there is pressure to adjust Allen's contract like KC did with Mahomes: $43MM/year is a lot closer to Daniel Jones $ than the $55-60MM ranges his peers have entered.
  • have to figure Dawson Knox will be on the trade block now that they need his guaranteed $10MM (half of it due in 10 days) freed up more than they need him. 
  • next season Rasul Douglas is a 30 yr old free agent
  • next season Dion Dawkins is a 31 yr old free agent

JFC if that team gets back to the playoffs for the '24 season, it's that much more official this league is about one position, and makes the argument that retaining a top performing QB is absolutely worth 1/4 if not plenty more of the spending / salary cap. If you don't have one, you don't have anything, and handwringing over any remaining cap spending and saving is pontificating about dogsh*t (not that I don't still participate in it anyway). 

If you’re correct then why shouldn’t the jets take another qb shot at 10, since if they hit it now, who cares about rodgers.

10 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

One of my favorite Buffalo draft fan reaction video's which I've already posted here a number of times, so I'll spare you...   I agree, the fans knew then that their golden opportunity was missed by not picking him at the end of the 1st Rd!

Thank you for that vid...it was fun to watch, and those fans were right on.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Could you imagine Buffalo with Breece?  That really might've pushed them over the top.  Luckily we have him.  Hopefully we can do something while we still have him under contract.

Yes I can. Their offense would be unstoppable, especially in 2022/2023. No defense can stack the line due to Josh Allen's arm, giving Breece huge run lanes all game lone. Scary. But they blew it.

Breece would have become the face of the Bills.

• Upvote 2

Jets may/will face a similar situation when it’s time to pay Sauce, Garrett & Breece. And to a lesser extent Jermaine Johnson.

Another reason last season’s flop was such an enormous missed opportunity. 

Nor is it ideal this regime is under win-now pressure. Otherwise perhaps JD would attempt to sign one or several said Jets studs to long-term deals spreading out the cap hit. 

16 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

One of my favorite Buffalo draft fan reaction video's which I've already posted here a number of times, so I'll spare you...   I agree, the fans knew then that their golden opportunity was missed by not picking him at the end of the 1st Rd!

Post it again! Never saw it

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Jets may/will face a similar situation when it’s time to pay Sauce, Garrett & Breece. And to a lesser extent Jermaine Johnson.

Another reason last season’s flop was such an enormous missed opportunity. 

Nor is it ideal this regime is under win-now pressure. Otherwise perhaps JD would attempt to sign one or several said Jets studs to long-term deals spreading out the cap hit. 

Not one of the 4 players you mentioned are eligible for extensions until next season.

It will be very interesting to see what Buffalo looks like next year. 

As long as they have a healthy Allen, they will be in the mix, but it's hard not to feel like they have already missed a couple of golden opportunities to get their ring. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Or becton and Vera Tucker got hurt and the historically bad QB play exacerbated the oline deficiency 

Kind of besides the point.  This thread was notifying us of a FA C hitting the market.  I commented on OLmen are available in an abundance every year in FA and how it's actually become one of the easier units to fix over night.  JD has failed big time w/ FA OLmen.

We’ll keep it low key for now, but Buffalo and Miami can both take big steps back next year and are strapped. New England has limitless cap space right now. Let’s see what the Jets have in store for us, but they can make significant strides on the division race right now
Are you saying the pig is ripe for the slaughter?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Thank you for that vid...it was fun to watch, and those fans were right on.

They were! Especially considering that CB Kahir Elam picked in the 1st Rd over Breece is currently considered a #3 CB after being in McD's doghouse last year.  Some calling for them to trade him.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

They were! Especially considering that CB Kahir Elam picked in the 1st Rd over Breece is currently considered a #3 CB after being in McD's doghouse last year.  Some calling for them to trade him.

I’d love to have Buffalo’s  problems.

RBs are a dime a dozen, it’s just a matter of how a team prioritizes them, and a team with Josh Allen playing QB doesn’t have to.

I’ll never knock a team for taking a CB over one.

15 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

The Bills fan I am close to still bitches about passing on Hall. It’s also tougher to take when the guy you wanted goes on to have success with a division rival. 

• Upvote 1

I play golf in a Tuesday league with 3 guys from the Buffalo area, in fact my next door neighbor just sold his steakhouse in Claremont.
I’ve never heard them bring up Breece Hall once. They’re pretty happy with their team, albeit frustrated as hell they can’t get the KC monkey off their back.

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Kind of besides the point.  This thread was notifying us of a FA C hitting the market.  I commented on OLmen are available in an abundance every year in FA and how it's actually become one of the easier units to fix over night.  JD has failed big time w/ FA OLmen.

Its not easy. Oline play has precipitously gone down over the past decade for a myriad of reasons. Season ending injuries to your two first rd picks on the line and your Hof QB getting hurt doesn't help 

The jets and Douglas will be fine if these guys can actually stay healthy

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

It will be very interesting to see what Buffalo looks like next year. 

As long as they have a healthy Allen, they will be in the mix, but it's hard not to feel like they have already missed a couple of golden opportunities to get their ring. 

They absolutely missed two opportunities in 13 coaching incompetence seconds and in 22/23 injuries/ attrition

This Bills team reminds me of the 70s raiders and Warren moon oilers. 

Time will tell if Allen is stabler or moon

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

They absolutely missed two opportunities in 13 coaching incompetence seconds and in 22/23 injuries/ attrition

This Bills team reminds me of the 70s raiders and Warren moon oilers. 

Time will tell if Allen is stabler or moon

I think they will break through eventually, provided they keep Allen healthy. 

Allen is just so talented and they have a good GM who should be able to continue to put a strong team around him. 

The thing I would worry about would be him getting hurt at some point. He makes so many plays on the ground for them and takes a lot of hits. They have to keep him upright. 

• Upvote 1