*** The official 2024 free agency thread***

1 minute ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Its delusional thinking that the jets will get any of the top players, JD is bargain shopper he will not pay for anyone and the jets are not a place people come to get paid less or the same as other places

You have dudes like Kevin Dotson and Jonah Jackson getting paid Joe Thuney money.

Dotson is one season removed from the Steelers (who desperately need OL help) trading him for a couple of late round pick swaps.

Jonah Jackson was the weakest starting OL on the Lions last year.

The only interior OL that it made sense to pay big money to was Onwenu and he never made it out of New England.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Better to grab a vet receiver. Most receivers take a year or two to hit their stride. Arod may be gone by then. Most don’t adapt quickly like GW.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

All I’m saying is that i believe it’s possible douglas rounds out the OL with starters in FA and then the draft rolls around and a top wr is there at 10.  Or, they trade back and decide to go wr in round 1.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Interesting you note this b/c i was wondering if the jets will trade out of 10 and then take a wr, and then go OL in round 2.  

I think it would be just the opposite. Trade down and go OT later in 1 and then get WR in 2. Who knows? 😎

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, Barkus said:

If JJ McCarthy slides to 10 jets will be in prime trade back position, teams may want to jump the Vikings (broncos could be trade partner??)

Is it just me or is JJ just a less talented Daniel Jones? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The majority of our board asks "why can't we ever be like the Ravens, Steelers, 49ers etc. ?" Teams that typically spend an insane amount in free agency are usually the bad teams.

I'm glad we aren't spending massive amounts of guards. Let's fill some spots with good depth under-30 year low-cost guys and draft well. We have some really good homegrown talent on the team already, no reason to get crazy and handicap the club over the course of the next 3-4 years with Macagnan contracts.

Teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have traditionally built a pipeline of OL through the draft.

Douglas has attempted it but largely sucked at nailing the picks.

Ideally you draft these guys in the mid-late rounds, let them develop for a year or two, they slide in as a starter for 2-3 before you let them walk in FA, rinse and repeat.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, ElBarrioJets said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

Played well for the most part last season. Had a terrible 5 game stretch to end the season but I see the potential in him. Let him sit behind Rodgers. He’s a young QB with upside who has starting experience. It makes too much sense 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The majority of our board asks "why can't we ever be like the Ravens, Steelers, 49ers etc. ?" Teams that typically spend an insane amount in free agency are usually the bad teams.

I'm glad we aren't spending massive amounts of guards. Let's fill some spots with good depth under-30 year low-cost guys and draft well. We have some really good homegrown talent on the team already, no reason to get crazy and handicap the club over the course of the next 3-4 years with Macagnan contracts.

The big spend was rodgers with the hope they could make a run with this defense.  I still hope they draft pratt and then they have at worst, hopefully, a longer term reliable backup/spot starter after these other vets retire. 

• Upvote 1

Mosley and his ridiculous 21M cap charge should have been restructured a month ago.

The Eagles are paying Hurts 40M per AAV, AJ Brown, just gave LaDickerson 90M, and still had money for Saquon and Huff.

JD is supposed to be this genius prodigy groomed in the BAL and PHI systems so why are we left rummaging through a pool of flotsam talent in an all-in year?

The Jets have some serious problems internally.  The more things play out, it looks like Russini and Rosenblatt are right.

The exodus of assistant coaches and execs, the embarrassing retaining of Hackett and Keith Carter, Ulbrich trying to escape but being denied….

The writing has been on the wall all offseason.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, August said:

Played well for the most part last season. Had a terrible 5 game stretch to end the season but I see the potential in him. Let him sit behind Rodgers. He’s a young QB with upside who has starting experience. It makes too much sense 

I get it, but I highly doubt you're going to pry away a starting QB for pennies. If we had a 2nd rounder this year, sure, but this team is desperate for cheap depth. 

Take a flyer on a kid from the later rounds who will presumably ride the pine on the practice squad all year and learn behind our two very veteran QBs. 

Ari Meirov ⁦‪@MySportsUpdate‬⁩

The #Browns are signing QB Jameis Winston and he is now set to be the backup to Deshaun Watson. It’s a 1-year deal, per ⁦‪@Schultz_Report‬⁩. 

That should also mean that Comeback Player of the Year QB Joe Flacco is unlikely to be back in Cleveland at this point and time. pic.twitter.com/U8z28DtaCu

3/12/24, 11:01 AM

4 minutes ago, August said:

Good question. 3/4th round pick and another later round pick 

He was a 5th.  What makes him now worth a 3/4?

Maybe a 6th. No way a 3rd. 3rd should be another OL or WR. 4th for CB depth & maybe another OL, WR, DT or edge. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The big spend was rodgers with the hope they could make a run with this defense.  I still hope they draft pratt and then they have at worst, hopefully, a longer term reliable backup/spot starter after these other vets retire. 

They are going to wish they had Huff when they need a fresh pass rusher in the 4th Q to close out games.

The Josh Allen injury 2 years ago was all Bryce Huff destroying his man and winning fast.

Allen couldn’t properly throw the deep shot to Gabe Davis because his elbow was jacked up.

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Maybe a 4th. No way a 3rd. 3rd should be another OL or WR. 

I wouldn’t even do a 4th

Why the t!ts are we giving up anything of substance for a 3rd string QB?

Rodgers is playing two more years, Tyrod just signed for two years, and Sam Howell’s rookie contract would be up in two years.

Just bring back Rypien or bring in a rookie 7th rounder/UDFA.

• Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

JD gave washed Dalvin Cook 7M last year when he had no market

Jones ripped up his knee twice last year and barely played.  This is a risk for MN. 

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I tend to think drafting a guy like Pratt is seemingly much more possible now that they went the Tyrod Taylor route and not trading for Sam Howell or spending $10million+ per year on a Brissett or Tannehill.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

All I’m saying is that i believe it’s possible douglas rounds out the OL with starters in FA and then the draft rolls around and a top wr is there at 10.  Or, they trade back and decide to go wr in round 1.  

It definitely allows us to keep our options open.

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Mosley and his ridiculous 21M cap charge should have been restructured a month ago.

The Eagles are paying Hurts 40M per AAV, AJ Brown, just gave LaDickerson 90M, and still had money for Saquon and Huff.

JD is supposed to be this genius prodigy groomed in the BAL and PHI systems so why are we left rummaging through a pool of flotsam talent in an all-in year?

The Jets have some serious problems internally.  The more things play out, it looks like Russini and Rosenblatt are right.

The exodus of assistant coaches and execs, the embarrassing retaining of Hackett and Keith Carter, Ulbrich trying to escape but being denied….

The writing has been on the wall all offseason.

I can't believe Mosley hasn't been forced to take a pay cut or just cut from the roster honestly. It's not justifiable to allow his cap hit to preclude us from signing a higher end WR or OL free agent. + We will need some money for a decent 3rd edge rush option now that Huff is gone.

25 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

JD gave washed Dalvin Cook 7M last year when he had no market

lol what?  Of all the things to complain about(I know it's your gimmick, but still).  Giving a 28 year old RB coming off 4-straight PB seasons and 4-straight 1000 yard seasons $7M for ONE year was some kind of braindead move?  I have no idea why anyone would feel the need to complain about how much we paid Cook for one year, especially since it happened AFTER the season started.  It literally had zero impact on anything we did or were going to do later. 

Also no market, according to who?  From what I remember the Dolphins and Pats were both interested.  If you want to cry about making moves when there was no market, point to the compensation we gave up for Rodgers when we were literally Green Bay's only option.  You know, something that actually impacts us(dropped 2 spots last year, one less 2nd last year, no 2nd this year).  Getting hung up on Dalvin ******* Cook getting, what?  $2M above what you would have hoped for on a one year deal...this is just the same sh*t man.  Crying for the sake of being an angry Jet fan.

Next thing you know we'll be crying over 7th round draft picks(unless that already happens, which I wouldn't doubt).

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t even do a 4th

Why the t!ts are we giving up anything of substance for a 3rd string QB?

Rodgers is playing two more years, Tyrod just signed for two years, and Sam Howell’s rookie contract would be up in two years.

Just bring back Rypien or bring in a rookie 7th rounder/UDFA.

Yeah I edited it to maybe a 6th after seeing he was drafted in the 5th. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

That's an insane amount of draft capital for Sam effing Howell. 

The teams asking price definitely just plummeted with the signing of Mariota and the obvious plan to draft a QB with the end pick.

I think he could be had for a 5th....but that won't be coming from us.

• Upvote 1