Corey Davis

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don’t know where you’re getting your info from, but his 9M 2023 salary wasn’t guaranteed.

Basically, all the guarantees were paid out in years 1 and 2 of his 3y deal as routinely happens with NFL contracts.

The Jets were planning to cut him.

They let him “walk away from the game” to save face and make it seem like he was leaving on his own terms.

Curring him meant relinquishing their rights to him by terminating his contract. Having him "walk away" meant they still held his rights. As it turns out they decided to relinquish them anyway.

3 minutes ago, NYJCAP2 said:

It was $10M, and you seem to be making things up as to why he didn’t play.

If you think you’re right, prove it with a source.

Hughes or Blatt reported it at the time that the Jets were likely going to cut him.  I forget who exactly, but you can find it if you search.

Obviously Davis isn’t going to publicly admit something humiliating like that.

Go look it up.  The Jets took on a dead cap charge of 667K in 2023.

It’s irrelevant whether his remaining salary was 10M, 9M, or 50M, since only 667K was left in guarantees.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hughes or Blatt reported it at the time that the Jets were likely going to cut him.  I forget who exactly, but you can find it if you search.

It’s irrelevant whether his remaining salary was 10M, 9M, or 50M, since only 667K was left in guarantees.

They were going to cut him in the spring contingent on signing someone like Odell. When they lost out they kept him. He played in pre season. They were keeping him.

27 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hughes or Blatt?  Another scoop.  Half the board was literally talking about cutting him in the 2023 offseason on the day we learned how his contract was structured.  

27 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hughes or Blatt?  Another scoop.  Half the board was literally talking about cutting him in the 2023 offseason on the day we learned how his contract was structured.  

29 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If getting cut was humiliating, then almost every player is going to get humiliated at some point.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So my guess is the reason he was released is otherwise his prior contract takes over where it left off. IOW it’s either release him or have him take up $10MM on the cap immediately upon being reinstated.

That’s my guess, anyway, but admittedly it’s just a guess.

Funny thing is that even though he underperformed, that contract is not too crazy right now. 

3 minutes ago, Plen T said:

He stinks but he’s better than Lazard who not only drops every pass thrown his way but commits game losing penalties on a regular basis

Lazard had one of the worst seasons I have ever seen by an offensive player.

Like you said, even on plays that had nothing to do with him, he got flags that cost big plays.  He was awful

• Post of the Week 1

51 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

If the Jets didn't relinquish the rights to him yesterday, what were Corey Davis's options if he wanted to play football? I believe he would have been obligated to play for the Jets under his old contract. Just because there was no guaranteed money doesn't mean anything other than the Jets could then cut him/release him and not owe him a thing. Asking @Sperm Edwards for clarification.

Yes but that non guaranteed contract year was for $10.5MM iirc. At that amount, after quitting on his team in August, he had no trade value.

In practical terms they’d have had to bang out a pay cut to take effect right away (still locking himself into the “toxic” Jets), or let him go. So they let him go; fill in the reason why yourself.

Plus what if he quits again this summer? Fool me once and such.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Funny thing is that even though he underperformed, that contract is not too crazy right now. 

With a year off after quitting on his team in August, which itself was after missing about half of each of the prior two seasons to injury?

I think it’s optimistic he’d get $10-11MM right now, but eye of the beholder I guess.

The only reason someone might have thrown even a conditional pick our way is none of it was guaranteed, so no penalty to cut him and then no pick to the jets. In theory.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With a year off after quitting on his team in August, which itself was after missing about half of each of the prior two seasons to injury?

I think it’s optimistic he’d get $10-11MM right now, but eye of the beholder I guess.

The only reason someone might have thrown even a conditional pick our way is none of it was guaranteed, so no penalty to cut him and then no pick to the jets. In theory.

I don't think he'd get the $9m, but in a world where Darnell Mooney is getting $13m per with 2 years guaranteed and Calvin Ridley only one year back from walking out on his team and a gambling suspension is getting $92m with $50m guaranteed it would not be the craziest thing I've heard.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't think he'd get the $9m, but in a world where Darnell Mooney is getting $13m per with 2 years guaranteed and Calvin Ridley only one year back from walking out on his team and a gambling suspension is getting $92m with $50m guaranteed it would not be the craziest thing I've heard.

Recency bias and ceiling. Ridley did a bit more than Davis last year and no one thinks of Davis as a realistic 1000 yd WR anymore. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes but that non guaranteed contract year was for $10.5MM iirc. At that amount, after quitting on his team in August, he had no trade value.

In practical terms they’d have had to bang out a pay cut to take effect right away (still locking himself into the “toxic” Jets), or let him go. So they let him go; fill in the reason why yourself.

I agree with all of this. My only point was that he wasn't technically free of the last year of his contract because he retired. In theory he would have had to play under that last year if the Jets didn't release him or renegotiate it. 

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

I agree with all of this. My only point was that he wasn't technically free of the last year of his contract because he retired. In theory he would have had to play under that last year if the Jets didn't release him or renegotiate it. 

Yeah but it’s different a year later, not knowing his mental or physical condition, now having an “I quit” in his history that wasn’t there before (he was supposed to help as a veteran leader, too), on top of not exactly being an iron horse before that. They left a light on for him all season and he never showed up.

The circumstances have changed from a year ago.

46 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

If getting cut was humiliating, then almost every player is going to get humiliated at some point.

Getting cut isn’t humiliating.  Being a Jets WR and getting cut is humiliating.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah but it’s different a year later, not knowing his mental or physical condition, now having an “I quit” in his history that wasn’t there before (he was supposed to help as a veteran leader, too), on top of not exactly being an iron horse before that. They left a light on for him all season and he never showed up.

The circumstances have changed from a year ago.

Again, I agree. I was just trying to explain my position that a guy who retires with one year remaining on his contract can't unretire and not be obligated to under that contract for thr team that he retired on which is what @Biggs was claiming. 

That said, I wouldn't want Davis back at $10 mil and change. I would take a flyer on him with a greatly reduced  non-guarnteed salary through. We really need receivers.

32 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

WR Quitting on the Jets appears to be a thing in the JD/Saleh managed Jets era.  If this year follows the last 2, GW will be the next one out the door.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

WR Quitting on the Jets appears to be a thing in the JD/Saleh managed Jets era.  If this year follows the last 2, GW will be the next one out the door.  

Let me guess. You were a huge Corey Davis fan that wanted him back last year at 10 million. You were outraged when he retired. Am I getting that right? 😅

4 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Again, I agree. I was just trying to explain my position that a guy who retires with one year remaining on his contract can't unretire and not be obligated to under that contract for thr team that he retired on which is what @Biggs was claiming. 

That said, I wouldn't want Davis back at $10 mil and change. I would take a flyer on him with a greatly reduced  non-guarnteed salary through. We really need receivers.

Guys get cut with years remaining on their contract.  NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed.  Only guaranteed money is guaranteed. 

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Let me guess. You were a huge Corey Davis fan that wanted him back last year at 10 million. You were outraged when he retired. Am I getting that right? 😅

I’m not a fan and  didn’t want him back.  After seeing Alan Lazard in action I admit I was wrong.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

Guys get cut with years remaining on their contract.  NFL contracts aren’t guaranteed.  Only guaranteed money is guaranteed. 

I'll give it one more shot.

Player X, coming off a breakout year, is in the last year of his deal which is non-guarnteed for 3 million. He feels he deserves way more based on last season's performance and wants a raise. The team tells him no. Player X then says "Screw you I'm retiring."

Player sits the year out and then decides to unretire. He says to team management, "I didn't have any guaranteed money left on that contract and I sat out the year. You didn't pay me. I'm now free to go."

The team then says, "If you want to play football, you have to do it under the contract that was in place when you retired. Welcome back and we will get your 3 milliom ready."

Retired years do not count as years off your contract. Comprende?

22 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I'll give it one more shot.

Player X, coming off a breakout year, is in the last year of his deal which is non-guarnteed for 3 million. He feels he deserves way more based on last season's performance and wants a raise. The team tells him no. Player X then says "Screw you I'm retiring."

Player sits the year out and then decides to unretire. He says to team management, "I didn't have any guaranteed money left on that contract and I sat out the year. You didn't pay me. I'm now free to go."

The team then says, "If you want to play football, you have to do it under the contract that was in place when you retired. Welcome back and we will get your 3 milliom ready."

Retired years do not count as years off your contract. Comprende?

Not what happened.  Guaranteed contract runs its course.  Team offers player they have a deal with to pay 10 million dollars to play.  Team tells player will pay you vet minimum to play.  Player says no thank you.  Player and team have met their contractual obligation.

Team decides to release him from having to negotiate a new deal he won’t negotiate with them on.  NLF contracts that aren’t guaranteed almost look legit to the players and Union.

These none guaranteed contracts should work both ways.  If the teams can cut the players should be able to become FA’s.  Particularly if they are willing to sit out a year after satisfying their contract.  The alternative is no cut contracts.

FYI you don’t have to give me one more shot.  I don’t buy into people not getting paid to work being kept from working somewhere else.

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Not what happened.  Guaranteed contract runs its course.  Team offers player they have a deal with to pay 10 million dollars to play.  Team tells player will pay you vet minimum to play.  Player says no thank you.  Player and team have met their contractual obligation.

Team decides to release him from having to negotiate a new deal he won’t negotiate with them on.  NLF contracts that aren’t guaranteed almost look legit to the players and Union.

You just don't get it. I'm done. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Answer this. If the Jets didn't release his rights yesterday, what would have happened to him assuming they didn't trade or cut him. You already conceeded he would be under team control. What would his salary be if the Jets just accepted his reinstatement?

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You just don't get it. I'm done. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Answer this. If the Jets didn't release his rights yesterday, what would have happened to him assuming they didn't trade or cut him. You already conceeded he would be under team control. What would his salary be if the Jets just accepted his reinstatement?

I think the players Union would take an action against the Jets and the league and so would Davis.  The NFL and the Jets have a huge incentive to stay away from the concept of contracts actually being an obligation to the team.  It doesn’t look good if a player plays out the guaranteed portion of his contract, sits out a year and he becomes the property of the team without an agreement to play for them for actual pay.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think the players Union would take an action against the Jets and the league and so would Davis.  The NFL and the Jets have a huge incentive to stay away from the concept of contracts actually being an obligation to the team.  It doesn’t look good if a player plays out the guaranteed portion of his contract, sits out a year and he becomes the property of the team without an agreement to play for them for actual pay.

But that's exactly the way it works whether you agree to it or not. It would be terrible if players could just retire and unretire in order to get out of the last year of their contract.

I'm glad the light finally went on for you. I was losing hope.

If Corey Davis is playing football next year, it needs to be for the Jets. He'd be a good WR3 but we'd still need to fill the WR2 role. He's a solid WR but his run blocking is very good. Davis has value on this team

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

But that's exactly the way it works whether you agree to it or not. It would be terrible if players could just retire and unretire in order to get out of the last year of their contract.

I'm glad the light finally went on for you. I was losing hope.

Why would it be terrible if a player was willing to sit out a year after meeting their obligation on the guaranteed portion of their contract and becoming a free agent? Seems very reasonable to both sides.

there not getting out of anything.

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

If Corey Davis is playing football next year, it needs to be for the Jets. He'd be a good WR3 but we'd still need to fill the WR2 role. He's a solid WR but his run blocking is very good. Davis has value on this team

The only way to guarantee he would be playing for the Jets was to pay him under the contract in place when he was retired. I'm my opinion, 10 mil is too much for him. My guess is the Jets are letting him see what the market is for a guy a year removed from the game. It won't be anywhere near 10 mil.

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why would it be terrible if a player was willing to sit out a year after meeting their obligation on the guaranteed portion of their contract and becoming a free agent? Seems very reasonable to both sides.

there not getting out of anything.

It wouldn't be good for owners. 

The whole point was trying to get you to understand how retirement and  unretirement works in the NFL when the player retires while under contract, regardless of the guaranteed money. Mission accomplished. If you want to get into a debate about players rights, etc. you can do it with someone else. I'm really not interested. Peace!