Why are we not drafting Penix?

That just ain’t happening. MAYBE if they really love the kid they’ll trade down and take him. I don’t see any way we take him at 10 though. 

I’m pretty confident it’ll be a weapon. I still expect us to sign Bakhtiari, and at that point the starting OL is set. You’re not going to spend a 10th overall pick on an OT as Bakh insurance. Maybe Odunze drops, but more likely it’ll be Bowers or a trade down for a WR. That’s my guess at the moment. 

Only way I see us taking a QB in the 1st is if Maye drops. Even then I’d say we’re more likely to trade out and let someone else pay for him. I’m 100% for taking a QB this year if the board plays out a certain way but not Penix(in the 1st, at least). 

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

That just ain’t happening. MAYBE if they really love the kid they’ll trade down and take him. I don’t see any way we take him at 10 though. 

I’m pretty confident it’ll be a weapon. I still expect us to sign Bakhtiari, and at that point the starting OL is set. You’re not going to spend a 10th overall pick on an OT as Bakh insurance. Maybe Odunze drops, but more likely it’ll be Bowers or a trade down for a WR. That’s my guess at the moment. 

Only way I see us taking a QB in the 1st is if Maye drops. Even then I’d say we’re more likely to trade out and let someone else pay for him. I’m 100% for taking a WR this year if the board plays out a certain way but not Penix(in the 1st, at least). 

Warren is the Bakhtiari insurance

18 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

So tackle at 10?

Why?  3 UFAs = not possible to be fixed. 2 UFAs and a rookie = fixed.  Hwhat??

If you’re talking about long term sure, I get it. Having 3 core pieces in place will make you feel a lot better about the OL as a whole instead of having just 2 of those guys. If we’re talking this year though?  How do people believe that we have a better chance of winning this year with a rookie on the OL instead of a veteran?  

This OL math is breaking my brain. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rich Thornburgh said:

Warren is the Bakhtiari insurance

Exactly. Which I’m completely happy with. He looked impressive in his limited time last year at LT, and should only be better with another TC under his belt. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

If you’re talking about long term sure, I get it. Having 3 core pieces in place will make you feel a lot better about the OL as a whole instead of having just 2 of those guys. If we’re talking this year though?  How do people believe that we have a better chance of winning this year with a rookie on the OL instead of a veteran?  

Also insane: thinking the Jets are winning anything this year.

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Only way I see us taking a QB in the 1st is if Maye drops. Even then I’d say we’re more likely to trade out and let someone else pay for him. I’m 100% for taking a QB this year if the board plays out a certain way but not Penix(in the 1st, at least). 

If you buy into the idea that penix and nix fall to round 2, then i wonder if the jets are prepared to give up 2025 draft picks to move up and bring in a guy who may well play this season and start next year. 

• Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I was replying to someone that said the OL can't be fixed with just FA which you seem to be on board with. So I asked if that's the case then so you take a tackle at 10 since the OL can't be fixed with just FA. That's all.

I guess your position is that there is no way to fix it for the upcoming season so draft a WR. I'd prefer to draft one as well with the 10 and take my chances with FA and a latter round OT pick. 

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If you buy into the idea that penix and nix fall to round 2, then i wonder if the jets are prepared to give up 2025 draft picks to move up and bring in a guy who may well play this season and start next year. 

Good Lord no.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

His injury history is absolutely terrifying, but I’m a fan of him as a prospect on the field 

Regardless, isn’t he expected to drop waaay past 10 overall? You probably trade down and still take him. 

I would love to be able to trade back, grab a second rounder for someone wanting McCarthy and then getting our OL, Pennix, and WR. Let him sit for 2 years.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

His injury history is absolutely terrifying, but I’m a fan of him as a prospect on the field 

Regardless, isn’t he expected to drop waaay past 10 overall? You probably trade down and still take him. 

Jim Kellys injury history was even worse during the legendary 83 class. Probably the greatest draft class ever, especially in the first round 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If he’s available at 10 he needs to be the pick. We can fix the OL in free agency and already are in that process 

I would draft Penix because QB is a gaping hole on this team. MVP Rodgers is never coming back in 2024. The best you can hope for with 40 year old Rodgers, is he turns into 2022 Rodgers, which is basically Derek Carr.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Warren looked ok at LT last season yes

Jetxfactor.com does really good breakdowns - take a look at the carter warren one.  As much as I hoped he was good enough to compete at RT he really struggled when he was on the field, hence the move for Moses.

I dont mind the pick, always good to take as many mid round shots on premium positions because if you hit its so big, but im not sure i see Warren or Mitchell as a long term starter

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

So, the question is, for every QB who enters the draft with a bad injury history - what percentage of them turn into Jim Kelly? 

Its a misleading question because most QBs in general fail. 

A better question is how good do u think penix is and what is the main injury concern? If you think he's really good, then that would be the main reason you draft him. Not vague data on QBs of the past of any draft ranking with any injury concerns 

If he's torn his ACL twice, that's not really a massive concern especially for a QB. 

7 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

Its a misleading question because most QBs in general fail. 

Yeah, this occurred to me when I was writing it, but I was being lazy. I'll rephrase: Of all QBs who enter the draft, what percentage of them are good and is that percentage significantly lower for guys who have a significant injury history? I don't know the answer. 

11 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

If you think he's really good, then that would be the main reason you draft him. Not vague data on QBs of the past of any draft ranking with any injury concerns 

I have no idea what you mean by "vague data", but you'd be foolish to not consider any available data on how past QBs with an injury history entering the NFL draft fared in comparison to healthy QBs entering the draft. Now, obviously, if you think he's really good, you might be willing to gamble on him. 

10 minutes ago, 83Kelly2Allen18 said:

If he's torn his ACL twice, that's not really a massive concern especially for a QB. 

Uhm . . . huh?

Multiple season ending knee injuries before you even get to the NFL is a big deal. In Penix's case, he's hurt the same knee twice (not good) and also hurt both shoulders. Sustaining four major injuries before you have played a snap in the NFL is a LOT. Like A LOT. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Jetxfactor.com does really good breakdowns - take a look at the carter warren one.  As much as I hoped he was good enough to compete at RT he really struggled when he was on the field, hence the move for Moses.

I dont mind the pick, always good to take as many mid round shots on premium positions because if you hit its so big, but im not sure i see Warren or Mitchell as a long term starter

Warren is better at LT then RT

47 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I would draft Penix because QB is a gaping hole on this team. MVP Rodgers is never coming back in 2024. The best you can hope for with 40 year old Rodgers, is he turns into 2022 Rodgers, which is basically Derek Carr.

Rodgers is not playing another 3 years.  Anyone who believes that is very stupid

• Upvote 1

Rodgers is not playing another 3 years.  Anyone who believes that is very stupid
Yet thinking he is going to retire to join a presidental ticket with no shot at winning after declaring he wants to play another 3-4 years is MENSA level thinking!
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yeah, this occurred to me when I was writing it, but I was being lazy. I'll rephrase: Of all QBs who enter the draft, what percentage of them are good and is that percentage significantly lower for guys who have a significant injury history? I don't know the answer. 

I have no idea what you mean by "vague data", but you'd be foolish to not consider any available data on how past QBs with an injury history entering the NFL draft fared in comparison to healthy QBs entering the draft. Now, obviously, if you think he's really good, you might be willing to gamble on him. 

Uhm . . . huh?

Multiple season ending knee injuries before you even get to the NFL is a big deal. In Penix's case, he's hurt the same knee twice (not good) and also hurt both shoulders. Sustaining four major injuries before you have played a snap in the NFL is a LOT. Like A LOT. 

I generally agree with your point.  unless there is somethings degenerative with his knee it's not going to matter with him playing qb. Everything I have read says he's been fine the past two years with no long term issues. 

My main point is, if you think he's really good, then just take him. Even if there is some injury concern. Hes not playing this year regardless of next most likely 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

That's extremely unwise 

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If he’s available at 10 he needs to be the pick. We can fix the OL in free agency and already are in that process 

If they fill the LT in free agency, then they can consider a trade back.  If McCarthy or Pennix is there and another team really wants them, you could swap #1's and get a #2.  This draft is deep on the offensive line and WR.  Then they are in a strong position to add quality depth on the O-line and a solid #2 receiver.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If he or another desirable qb is available at 10, we need to trade down. Grab a 2nd. Pick a OL and WR.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
10 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Yet thinking he is going to retire to join a presidental ticket with no shot at winning after declaring he wants to play another 3-4 years is MENSA level thinking!

Do you really think Rodgers can play until he’s 44?

25 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Do you really think Rodgers can play until he’s 44?

Most likely not but I think he's 100% playing this year and the following year will depend on how 2024 went.

40 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
42 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

I almost got into mensa... Until I realized I'm a jets fan. That lowers your IQ a full standard deviation

• Haha 1