Jets Sign Mike Williams! MERGED

19 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I gave you the grades on Laken Tomlinson.

I gave you the grades on John Simpson.

I gave you specific reasons on why John Simpson may have had his, already poor, grade inflated.

You responded with: “John Simpson is a great player, you can look up the grades for yourself” with no other rebuttal so I’ll say it again:  “good vibes” from the Mike Williams signing isn’t a valid defense of signing an, objectively, bad (as of right now) player.

you gave me some grades big deal. Tomlinson sucked and Simpson was great blocking for Lamar and stayed healthy as I already told you, you can pretend he wanst but doesnt change things. Simpson is well regarded for his run game prowess and major upgrade for our run game. Also he pass protect decently too. THe fact he and moses kind of mesh is good too, Building culture here man, with good players. 

• Upvote 1

Dan Shamash
SITUATIONAL FOOTBALL/GAME MANAGEMENT COORDINATOR

DAN SHAMASH returns to the New York Jets after joining Robert Saleh's staff as the situational football/game management coordinator on February 1, 2022. Shamash, who first worked with the Jets in 2008, has been in the NFL for the last 14 seasons, coaching both sides of the ball.

Prior to joining the Jets, Shamash spent five seasons with the Chargers (2017-21) in a variety of roles on the offense. Over his time with Los Angeles, he helped coach an offense that ranked in the Top 10 in the league four times. Working with tight ends, Hunter Henry twice posted single-season best in receptions (2020 & 2019), while he assisted receivers, Keenan Allen set a then-franchise record with 102 receptions (2017), the fourth most in the NFL.

Starting his time in the league as an intern with the Jets (2008), Shamash also served as a defensive assistant with Columbia University.

Would have also worked with M.Williams

Just now, C Mart said:

Dan Shamash

DAN SHAMASH returns to the New York Jets after joining Robert Saleh's staff as the situational football/game management coordinator on February 1, 2022. Shamash, who first worked with the Jets in 2008, has been in the NFL for the last 14 seasons, coaching both sides of the ball.

Prior to joining the Jets, Shamash spent five seasons with the Chargers (2017-21) in a variety of roles on the offense. Over his time with Los Angeles, he helped coach an offense that ranked in the Top 10 in the league four times. Working with tight ends, Hunter Henry twice posted single-season best in receptions (2020 & 2019), while he assisted receivers, Keenan Allen set a then-franchise record with 102 receptions (2017), the fourth most in the NFL.

Starting his time in the league as an intern with the Jets (2008), Shamash also served as a defensive assistant with Columbia University.

Looks like at least one rat climbed it's way back into the sinking ship! Why would he want to join a lame duck staff?? 😅

Just speculating but if Williams stays healthy and plays an average year for him (which is Top 5-10 NFL WR level), would he be a candidate to franchise tag next year or would the FT amount still be too much for a guy like him?  Or, does the nature of his one-year deal make it not possible to franchise him?

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Just speculating but if Williams stays healthy and plays an average year for him (which is Top 5-10 NFL WR level), would he be a candidate to franchise tag next year or would the FT amount still be too much for a guy like him?  Or, does the nature of his one-year deal make it not possible to franchise him?

I don't see him as a top 5-10 type guy.  Good WR2.  I think if he has a solid year, maybe you look to re-sign him.  But the tag is like $22M for a WR this year, prob $23m-$24M next year.  I can't see paying Williams that kind of $$$. 

Hopefully we get a guy in the draft that will be able to replace him as #2 next season and be on a rookie contract.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Rodgers has had a lot of great WRs over the years but what is exciting he's never had a better one in terms of ball tracking skills and catch radius than Mike Williams. Rodgers is one of the best backshoulder throwers in history. Williams HL reel on jumpballs is about as good as it gets and with a 6'4 220 80+ inch wingspan this is Williams best trait. This is the perfect pair for their strengths. The connection on backshoulder throws could be most dangerous QB/WR combo in NFL. Herbet is a good QB but was not good at taking advantage of the backshoulder throw like Rodgers 

Hard to watch this and not get excited. Second video is Rodgers just throwing backshoulder throws

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JetsOrange said:

Aaron Rodgers has had a lot of great WRs over the years but what is exciting he's never had a better one in terms of ball tracking skills and catch radius than Mike Williams. Rodgers is one of the best backshoulder throwers in history. Williams HL reel on jumpballs is about as good as it gets and with a 6'4 220 80+ inch wingspan this is Williams best trait. This is the perfect pair for their strengths. The connection on backshoulder throws could be most dangerous QB/WR combo in NFL. Herbet is a good QB but was not good at taking advantage of the backshoulder throw like Rodgers 

Hard to watch this and not get excited. Second video is Rodgers just throwing backshoulder throws

Mike Williams has some serious hands. Damn.

On 3/23/2024 at 11:36 AM, C Mart said:

Dan Shamash

Guy Smash GIF

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Because he’s coming off a major injury, failed physical release and always the #2 receiver on his own team — this is more of a high end garbage bin signing IMO. 

Quality young-ish WRs don’t tend to hit the open market and THEN sign here, my guy.  

Because he’s coming off a major injury, failed physical release and always the #2 receiver on his own team — this is more of a high end garbage bin signing IMO. 
Bold ...

.... Sadly, im in agreement here .. hopefully it works out.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Because he’s coming off a major injury, failed physical release and always the #2 receiver on his own team —this is more of a high end garbage bin signing IMO. 

His size and ability to high point the ball would say otherwise. He wouldn’t have been signed if the knee wasn’t on-time or ahead of schedule.

• Upvote 1

His size and ability to high point the ball would say otherwise. He wouldn’t have been signed if the knee wasn’t on-time or ahead of schedule.
That is what we are all hoping.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Barton said:

Let me guess. You wanted them to sign Ridley for 4 years and $92 million 😅

Calling Mike Williams a garbage bin receiver is insane. And we signed him to be the #2 receiver so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make with him always being a #2 in the past.

• Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Mike Williams has some serious hands. Damn.

He can high point with the best but he has sure hands on top of it. Only 1 drop in last 3 seasons. He just doesn't drop the ball which is much welcomed change. If he's healthy people are not appreciating what Mike Williams brings to the table. There's only a handful of guys I've seen with a more impressive montage of jump balls (Deandre Hopkins, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald.) Its a narrow skillset but very impactful and he's got rare ability few have doing it

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ya, no way the Jets are making a mistake. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Ya, no way the Jets are making a mistake. 

Name the WR who hit the open market who was better.  All I’m saying.  It may fail miserably.  Easily.  But WRs don’t come loose often.  The ones that do always have warts.  

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Keenan is old and required picks.  Williams is younger and required no picks.  Easy call to me.  

I think the more important thing is that Keenan Allen has a $23M cap hit this year and Williams is only $2.7M with a total of $10M spread over two years.

• Post of the Week 1