Jets Sign Mike Williams! MERGED

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Even the best offensive player debate is good.  Some say bowers, some say an OT, some want a wr.  

And b/c i love qbs, I’ll throw it out here.  What if maye makes it to 5.  Or what if the jets just love mccarthy and he’s there at 8.  I would not put it past them to trade next year’s draft capital to bring in the rodgers heir, and then say we’re all in this year but we’re also ready for the future. 

Drake Maye in green and white would be our salvation.

• Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If they’re smart, they’ll either move up a few spots for MHJ / Nabers / Alt or trade down:

OT like Fautanu or Fuaga and Ladd McConkey on day 2

I think 4 QBs and 2 WRs are going in the Top 6.  Alt and the third WR will probably go by 8 or 9.  I think the trade down scenario, Bowers, or the OT2 will be the Jets choice at #10.  I don't see them trading up.

Seems like no way the Cardinals will pass on MHJ at #4 and the Chargers just lost both Keenan Allen and Mike Williams (to us!).  They stay put and take a WR IMO.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I just don’t see jd doing it.  His first rounders have been qb, LT, wr, edge and cb.  No s, lb or te.  Avt you could say is a guard but he could really play tackle too, and probably will this year.  So i doubt we take bowers.  

Doesn’t help that our QB doesn’t like throwing to TEs.

1 hour ago, Gio-Jets said:

Quite simple really; 

Robert Saleh, held a gun to his head, and Joe Douglas assured him, that either his brain or his signature would be on the contract.

Holy crap.  I was reading through the thread starting at page 1 and replied to T0m with that same meme.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

With this Mike Williams move I do think Bowers is the leader in the clubhouse as they'd say to be the Jets pick assuming three other things...

1. OT Alt doesn't drop to #10

2. All 3 top WRs are off the board by #10

3. The Jets don't trade down

If they stick and pick with Alt and top 3 WRs gone it does feel like more likely than not they'd take Bowers, although an OT is still a strong possibility. 

I see no way Alt is there at 10 so no sense in getting optimistic about that. Same goes for MHJ there at 10. And you can guarantee one of Nabers or Odunze won’t be there. Likely Nabers. At the end of the day I’d be very happy with any of Bowers, Odunze, Fuaga or Fashanu. So I hope we can’t screw this up. Then again I never even had McDonald as a person we’d draft last year. So nothing surprises me in the draft.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How do we petition the Jets to scrub the "All Gas, No Brake" shirts and replace them with "Prove it"? ;) 

Also, the Jets only let Saleh run the steps during the week following a W.

That would be his "incentive contract."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

It really kind of does.  Two thoughts on that....

1. Guys like Tyron Smith and Mike Williams are essentially on "prove it" deals that are incentivized so the Jets should get their best efforts to both stay healthy and produce.  In other words, good for 2024 season.

2. If everything goes to sh!t, then none of these guys are anchors on the Cap and they depart along with Saleh, JD, and a host of other guys which hopefully makes the Jets an appetizing place for the next GM to arrive with guys like Sauce, GW, QW, Breece and JJ still young and under contract (along with whoever the Jets take at #10.

i got news for you and the rest of this board. with the additions we made so far and more to come in the draft, if Rodgers stays healthy get ready for 4 more years for JD and Saleh cause were making the playoffs.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, doitny said:

i got news for you and the rest of this board. with the additions we made so far and more to come in the draft, if Rodgers stays healthy get ready for 4 more years for JD and Saleh cause were making the playoffs.

That’d be a great problem to have. I will say that no matter what after this off-season JD should be safe. Saw what we needed and addressed it. It’s not his fault AR got injured last year. Wherever likely be safe regardless if he was healthy. Cut his losses with Wilson earlier than most GMs would last year with going after AR and getting him. Which is a tough pill to swallow when that’s your stamp on an organization. And he’s bounced back from it. Nearly a perfect offseason from him so far in FA. With still likely a couple more signings as well as the draft.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, doitny said:

Nothing would make me happier than the Jets making the playoffs.  It's been like Halley's Comet around here....lots of people have heard about it but few of us have actually seen it.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Lots of dudes you're hoping stay healthy in this FA class, which is cool because the Jets are never injury plagued or anything. 

I really hope I don't have to reply to your post with this next year.

LifetimeAchievementAward-PrinceTakingBows.gif.821a8b63bfeef4498dad38985d1068fb.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

im not going to say they can't make a bad pick but there's something to like about each of the OL prospects this year

it wouldn't be surprising at all if Fuaga goes 7 and the Jets back into Alt 

Oh Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Would you guys trade #10 for Brandon Aiyuk? 

Here's the problem with that.

Preface it with I've got no issues with the value or paying Aiyuk. If he was worth a gamble at #25 at age 22, he's worth #10 as a known quantity at 26.

The problem is they just signed Williams today to an incentive-heavy 1 year show-me contract. If you then burn the #10 pick on an established 1300-yard WR then the odds of Williams hitting his incentives vaporize absent a major injury to Wilson and/or Aiyuk.

Drafting a WR at #10? I don't think the same conflict exists because everyone can see that position's value in the upper part of draft;  that the Jets don't need defense; that they don't immediately require a starting tackle (or anyway, not apparently so in April); and even 1st round WRs who do pan out still often take a year or two before taking off (Aiyuk is an example of that himself). Acquiring an 80 yard/game veteran WR in his prime is going to have new pickup Mike Williams livid all season long while all 3 are healthy. That's bad for the team.

These guys have personalities and personal incentives; they're human & it's not Madden or fantasy, rosters. Point is, sometimes the best team may not necessarily be the best on-paper team. The best WR to add - if it's not the best rookie at #10 - may be a player who excels in & accepts his lesser, glass ceiling role. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Here's the problem with that.

Preface it with I've got no issues with the value or paying Aiyuk.

The problem is they just signed Williams today to an incentive-heavy 1 year show-me contract. If you then burn the #10 pick on an established 1300-yard WR then the odds of Williams hitting his incentives vaporize absent a major injury to Wilson and/or Aiyuk.

Drafting a WR at #10? I don't think the same conflict exists because everyone can see that position's value in the upper part of draft;  that the Jets don't need defense; that they don't immediately require a starting tackle (or anyway, not apparently so in April); and even 1st round WRs who do pan out still often take a year or two before taking off (Aiyuk is an example of that himself). Acquiring an 80 yard/game veteran WR in his prime is going to have new pickup Mike Williams livid all season long while all 3 are healthy. That's bad for the team.

These guys have personalities and personal incentives; they're human & it's not Madden or fantasy, rosters. Point is, sometimes the best team may not necessarily be the best on-paper team. The best WR to add - if it's not the best rookie at #10 - may be a player who excels in & accepts his lesser, glass ceiling role. 

Sperm Edwards is typing 

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I see Maye in the same league with Blake Bortles or Mitch Trubisky.  Barely pedestrian results despite measurables. Pass on him for me.  The only prospect I'd take from this class is J.J. and he may not work out.  Long shot QB's with questionable tape and other issues who may be worth a late round pick are Sam Hartman and Spencer Ratler.

Maye won't be an option for us.  I highly doubt JJ will either.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Maye won't be an option for us.  I highly doubt JJ will either.

Well, if you assume the first 4 picks are 3 qbs and mhj, then the chargers are sitting with offers.  Is that where minny trades up?  

If you assume NE trades out of 3, then the first 4 picks are 3 qbs and mhj, but now the chargers may not have a team that would deal up to 5.  Say the chargers take their favorite wr, and now the giants are on the clock.  Do they take jj or a wr?  

17 minutes ago, Falco21 said:

Imagine... 

Aaron Rodgers, Garret Wilson, Breece Hall, Mike Williams, and Brock Bowers. 

Good God 

With Rodgers on his back none of them will be doing anything, you have the same 3 + Top OL & Ruckert/Conklin or any other receiver & you will have a much better chance at succeeding. 

• Upvote 1