After all the moves, I think the Jets must take a tackle in round 1.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think if they don't land a starter-worthy tackle this year there's a high probability of drafting one next year. I'm suggesting it. ;) 

I still think a tackle helps this year because I've pretty much zero confidence - with history by my side - that both tackles will play all 17 games. There's a high probability a minimum of 4 games (plus mop-up duty in a couple others) where at least one of their starting tackles will be out. Not even counting guard, which could be an option, too. Then there's the reality that Smith - for all his talent, even at his age - has missed almost the whole year twice in the last 4 seasons.

Because I think their WR1, WR2, TE, and RB provide enough options in the passing game, I don't think upgrading WR3 raises the ceiling as much as being stuck with the backup LT for an extended period sinks it. Losing one (as is likely for at least some of the season) could sink it by a lot more than a WR3 upgrade raises it. In either case I'd expect the draftee to start the following season.

For the most part, though, I don't disagree in that it's more important they nail the pick than which position. If they get an above average, reliable starter I wouldn't nitpick which position it was.

Also I have enjoyed this.

I think they should be able to land someone who, with proper development, can be a starter level player even if they don’t take someone in the first. I proposed in response elsewhere here but I think they can use the 2025 first round pick to get back into the late one/early two range and land a legitimate first round level tackle or very close.

If they can land one of the top three WR’s and do that then they’re hitting both tiers on the back end of the tier, addressing both premium position needs, and building depth and developing guys this year to hit the ground running next year. It’s a really uniquely strong WR class at the top and a really deep OT class through seven guys with a couple of other really nice prospects and for a team with the needs they have and the timeline they have I actually think it’d be prudent to be very aggressive.

The downside is that if Douglas gets fired the job isn’t as appealing down a first round pick so maybe Woody poo poo’s it, but I actually think it’d be a good use of assets and I’m not usually a fan of trading future capital. Great way to take advantage of this year’s tackle depth though. Real shame they didn’t just trade 13 for Rodgers last year, they might have gotten McDonald at 42 anyway and the second round pick would’ve been very useful.

There are a few plus athletes at tackle who I think could be very strong targets day two as well. Also a lot of receivers, so it cuts both ways. I just think the receiver is more likely to play a role off the bat and the receivers at the top are better than the tackles.

I think there’s a very strong possibility Williams misses time too, so that needs to come into the equation in terms of ceiling/floor. The benefit of the rookie tackle also presumes he’s a plus player and again, I think that’s an assumption. Guys have been really slow to develop at that position. Especially just tossing someone in, I’m not so sure he’s moving the needle positively. Plus less snaps, etc.

Always a fun exchange with you. Too bad neither of us is brief.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Update to the Brian Thomas talk: both PFF guys dislike Brian Thomas as a player, but Pallazzolo didn’t revisit the alleged off-field issues. They dislike him because he has a 10% drop rate, and despite Daniels throwing him an extremely high percentage of on-target passes, he didn’t produce nearly as much as he could have. Compared him to MVS and Demarcus Robertson

Ooof. Kinda damning.

Good info, tho. Appreciate it

Earlier this thread ya said Daniel Jeremiah thought Fautanu could play all five o-line positions.

Sounds like a responsible move long-term and a dude that will have a meaningful contribution next season. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:37 PM, Alka said:

In an injury free world, the Jets would be stupid not to take a wide receiver or Brock Bowers with the #10 pick.

Unfortunately, that is a fantasy world, and not one that we live in.  We live in a world where injuries absolutely will occur, and if we are targeting the NY Jets, will probably occur more likely than not.

Think about it for a moment.  We got an All-Pro left tackle, that is projected to not play more than 13 games, at the most.  In fact, he doesn't even practice much, according to reports.  Why were we even able to get him?  Have you thought about that for a second?  It's due to his injury history that we were able to snag Tyron.

We have a right guard in AVT, who missed the majority of games the past 2 years, due to injuries.  We have Morgan Moses, who is getting up there in age, at 33 years old, and showing signs of wear and tear.  We have Tippman, who did deal with an injury last year, though did not miss much time.  Warren, as our main tackle backup, fought with injuries last year.

The Jets must keep Aaron Rodgers upright, and we can't wait until the 3rd or 4th round to take a tackle, and expect that the Jets will just insert that player if one of our main guys go down, especially at left tackle.

Drafting a tackle at #10 is the responsible and common sense move to make, and one that JD needs to be committed to.  Drafting a wide receiver and hoping that our O line stays healthy is playing with fire, and when you play with fire, you get burned.

All you need to do is look at how our offensive line transgressed over the past several years to know that this is what will happen, and we need to be prepared for it.

I say use as many picks as possible on backups and do everything you can to avoid having any of them see the field before 2027.

• WTF? 1

This QB/WR talk at 19 is dumb. First, Maye or Daniel’s won’t be there. Next. Moses and Smith are OLD, injury prone and our OL depth sucks. You can’t trust these two guys are going to play a full season without something happening to either of them where they miss some time. And the elite trio of WR’s ((MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) will also most likely be gone as well.  And if perchance, one of them falls, it’s a given some team would trade up for one with us. That would enable us to get an extra pick and still take a solid tackle in round 1. If they are gone, then we’d have a really good chance of grabbing Fuaga. Just say NI. 

if you draft a OL at 10 my guess is he is good enough to be a day 1 starter and not a backup. thats just stupid because even with an ijury unless its a season ending injury in week 1 he wont play the whole year.

but a WR at 10 will play every game. and with 3 WR sets will make a big contribution.  plus add the prices to sign one in FA its better to draft one. and i dont want to trade for one and give away more draft picks.

On 3/21/2024 at 10:09 PM, Sammybighead said:

Alt is a top 3 player, regardless of position. He should be long gone by 10 or 7.

top 7 picks - Qb 123. at 4 Ari takes MHJ. at 5 SD takes a WR - Nabers. They just gave up on Allen and Williams. Herbert needs a weapon. Giants need a WR and are looking at QB, so either Odunze or McCarthy will be the pick.  Titans pick at 7 who will be Alt. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:54 AM, bitonti said:

Wouldn't the wr be an insurance policy too? With lazard on the roster would the rookie be wr4? 

Easier to get 3 wide receivers or 2 tight ends on the field than 3 offensive tackles. Would not consider drafting a receiver as an insurance policy. 

11 hours ago, jumpinjoe said:

Easier to get 3 wide receivers or 2 tight ends on the field than 3 offensive tackles. Would not consider drafting a receiver as an insurance policy. 

The tackles are basically done