After all the moves, I think the Jets must take a tackle in round 1.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yes, an insurance policy.

You’d be taking an OT in the Top 10 and sitting his ass on the bench in the hopes that he never sees the field barring injury.

What the hell did we spend mid-round picks on Warren and Mitchell for?

Why would we do this instead of signing a Josh Jones or David Bakhtiari on a cheap deal?

It’s dumb unless a guy like Alt falls into your lap.

Also, if Tyron Smith stays relatively healthy and continues playing at a high level, he’s not going anywhere after this year. The Jets will either extend him or slap him with the franchise tag.

ok but very few ppl share your opinion

an OT wont be sitting on his ass very long with the pos line JD scrapped together

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

We will agree to disagree.  You mentioned that we can get a starting OT in round 2 and even round 3.  Well, we don't have a pick in round 2.  I am not willing to hope that in round #3, we will be able to get a bona fide offensive tackle that we can insert this year, when, not if, we need him.  Hope is not a strategy.

I know that we don't have a #2 this year, unless they trade down or trade a 2025 pick for a 2024 round 2 pick but I am fairly sure that either Blake Fisher and or Goncalves will be there in round 3.  Fisher is a starting quality OT that can play LT or RT.  If he lasts until round 3, it will be one of the steals of the draft.  He will be even  be a steal in round #2.  Goncalves is a classic RT that will be very good as a run blocker in the NFL and a good pass blocker on the right side.  I am 80 % sure he will be there for the Jets in round 3. 

You could easily sign a low level veteran to protect against your injury concerns.  I know Warren is viewed as some JAG around here but I'd be surprised if the coaching staff isn't high on him, especially after how he played last year.  My guess is we bring in veteran depth and use that 10th pick on a weapon.  Even if Williams stays healthy, that weapon will get significant playing time. 

See how Warren develops and then figure out if you need to draft a LT in 2025.  I'd prefer to buy him another year though and find out instead of just assuming he ain't sh*t and blowing a top-10 pick on a tackle.  Whereas we know for a fact that we have nothing long-term behind Garrett Wilson, and a great opportunity to add an elite weapon, which we most likely won't have the chance to do again for a while(if all goes to plan with this team).  Look at the late 1st of this year's draft.  You could see all of Latham, Mims, Guyton going after pick 20.  You can find good tackles late in the 1st.  Maybe not "elite", but I don't think anyone we take at 10 would be elite either(Fuaga, Fashanu, Fautanu).  You'll never have the chance to draft a guy like Bowers again...at least not for a long, long time.  

Go sign a cheap vet swing tackle and bring McGovern back for cheap.  Draft a depth/developmental guard in the 3rd or 4th depending on how the board plays out.  We're good to go. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

IMO jets should go WR in rd 1. doesn’t make sense to draft a backup olineman in rd 1 who may or may not even see the field. Draft your backup olineman in rd 3. Also not super high on some of these 1st rd tackle prospects

Mike Williams is on a 1 year deal and has his own injury history. if he goes down it’s Garret Wilson and nobody.  

there is no may or may not here. they will play. also please have some foresight. it's not only about 2024. Both Smith and Moses are on 1 year deals.

• Upvote 2

jets fans who say things like "on paper" when talking about our roster are fools. on paper means ******* nothing when your tackles are often injured and or 33 years old and one of your guards has played a handful of games in 2 years.

• Upvote 1

Not sure I'm as down with the 'Draft a Tackle at all costs!!' as I might have been a month ago.

Joe Douglas just showed us, if he doesn't mind coming off his own draft picks (Becton, Max Mitchel, etc) he can round out the Oline with pretty good talent via trades and FAs.

was 2024 a fluke? Can Douglas rinse and repeat next year? Yes, it's always better to get your young talent thru the draft. But if you can only draft one player, it may be better to get the player you really CAN'T get in FA market. A top WR, top DB, top skill guys don't come along very often. But decent lineman seem to fall from the sky.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You think the rookie will start over Mike Williams? 

Both Jets tackles are on 1 year deals too

I think the Jets will run a lot more 3 and 4 WR sets than they do 6 and 7 OL formations this year. Williams is coming off an ACL, too. Your depth at the position is Lazard and two UDFAs. Where the team is at at this point in time, I’d have to think that they’re hoping to land a WR in the first. 

The OL pick makes some sense if you plan to start him at guard this year over Simpson, but they could easily look for that player in the third round, instead. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Alka said:

In an injury free world, the Jets would be stupid not to take a wide receiver or Brock Bowers with the #10 pick.

Unfortunately, that is a fantasy world, and not one that we live in.  We live in a world where injuries absolutely will occur, and if we are targeting the NY Jets, will probably occur more likely than not.

Think about it for a moment.  We got an All-Pro left tackle, that is projected to not play more than 13 games, at the most.  In fact, he doesn't even practice much, according to reports.  Why were we even able to get him?  Have you thought about that for a second?  It's due to his injury history that we were able to snag Tyron.

We have a right guard in AVT, who missed the majority of games the past 2 years, due to injuries.  We have Morgan Moses, who is getting up there in age, at 33 years old, and showing signs of wear and tear.  We have Tippman, who did deal with an injury last year, though did not miss much time.  Warren, as our main tackle backup, fought with injuries last year.

The Jets must keep Aaron Rodgers upright, and we can't wait until the 3rd or 4th round to take a tackle, and expect that the Jets will just insert that player if one of our main guys go down, especially at left tackle.

Drafting a tackle at #10 is the responsible and common sense move to make, and one that JD needs to be committed to.  Drafting a wide receiver and hoping that our O line stays healthy is playing with fire, and when you play with fire, you get burned.

All you need to do is look at how our offensive line transgressed over the past several years to know that this is what will happen, and we need to be prepared for it.

I believe it's really simple. When you get to 10, you draft your highest ranked player remaining on your draft board, with consideration of team needs. If that's Odunze, BTJ, or Bowers.. fine, draft OL depth later. If that's Fuaga or Fashanu, fine, draft receiver depth later (and consider signing 1 more vet if available).

• Upvote 1

While I would really like an offensive weapon, I have come to believe we need to bolster the o-line more than anything, which is underscored by what happened last year.

I would be OK with trading down if we used the picks for another offensive weapon AND another offensive lineman. However, in order to trade down we would need a trade partner and that is not guaranteed. Also, keep in mind that we may (and will likely) pick up more free agents, which may change the current equation.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

The OL pick makes some sense if you plan to start him at guard this year over Simpson, but

Lets take a step back both wr and ot make sense at 10. It becomes a matter of preference 

Morgan Moses only missed 3 games last year but every week he would rotate with mekari 

Tyron Smith hasn't played a full season in a decade 

Both of these dudes are broken down. The rookie OT will start the only question is when and how much. It could be a month it could be all year but that player, whether they take him in Rd 1 or Rd 3 is going to play. Alot 

Meanwhile Rodgers has shown no capacity to target or develop a rookie wr in fact all he does is blast them. Given his preference He's throwing to wilson, Williams lazard and the vets most likely. Cobby! Guys who know what to do with his funny little hand motions and audibles. I don't think Rodgers cares about adding a BTJ and he's the shadow gm 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Not sure I'm as down with the 'Draft a Tackle at all costs!!' as I might have been a month ago.

Joe Douglas just showed us, if he doesn't mind coming off his own draft picks (Becton, Max Mitchel, etc) he can round out the Oline with pretty good talent via trades and FAs.

was 2024 a fluke? Can Douglas rinse and repeat next year? Yes, it's always better to get your young talent thru the draft. But if you can only draft one player, it may be better to get the player you really CAN'T get in FA market. A top WR, top DB, top skill guys don't come along very often. But decent lineman seem to fall from the sky.

But they can still draft a staring OT in round three after they get Bowers or top WR in round 1.  There are starting quality OTs all the way into round 3.  This is a uniquely deep draft for OT.  Some of the round 2 and even round 3 OT's would be 1st round picks in other drafts. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

jets fans who say things like "on paper" when talking about our roster are fools. on paper means ******* nothing when your tackles are often injured and or 33 years old and one of your guards has played a handful of games in 2 years.

On paper Aaron Rodgers has won 2 of the last 4 mvp awards 

Toilet paper 

• Sympathy 1

I agree we need to take a Tackle in the draft, but not in round 1,  if we can trade back from 10 I would like a W.R later in round 1 ( AD Mitchell ) , then a Tackle with the next pick. 

Williams on one side, Mitchell on the other with Wilson in the slot !

• Sympathy 1

It's all well and good to say we must take a tackle, but my concern is the guy picking the tackle. It's the same guy that picked Becton over Tristan Wirfs. It's the same guy that passed on Penei Sewell to draft the worst QB I've ever ******* seen.

Joe Douglas' track record of evaluating offensive line is piss poor.  A guy like Bowers is a pick he can't screw up.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I know that we don't have a #2 this year, unless they trade down or trade a 2025 pick for a 2024 round 2 pick but I am fairly sure that either Blake Fisher and or Goncalves will be there in round 3.  Fisher is a starting quality OT that can play LT or RT.  If he lasts until round 3, it will be one of the steals of the draft.  He will be even  be a steal in round #2.  Goncalves is a classic RT that will be very good as a run blocker in the NFL and a good pass blocker on the right side.  I am 80 % sure he will be there for the Jets in round 3. 

I'm not sure how much LT Fisher has played since I'm assuming Alt has had that spot locked down for a long time.  Not sure if he missed time to injury though and Fisher bounced over.  But yes he should be an option in the 3rd.  I still think though if we draft an OL in the 3rd or 4th it should be a guard.  We really have nothing in the way of developmental guards on the roster, and our depth there IMO is more concerning than our depth at OT.  At least at tackle we have guys who we invested 4th rounders in, and guys who have had their moments of looking good at the NFL level.  At guard I think our only option is bouncing Tippmann out from center - but that only works if we re-sign McGovern.

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'm not sure how much LT Fisher has played since I'm assuming Alt has had that spot locked down for a long time.  Not sure if he missed time to injury though and Fisher bounced over.  But yes he should be an option in the 3rd.  I still think though if we draft an OL in the 3rd or 4th it should be a guard.  We really have nothing in the way of developmental guards on the roster, and our depth there IMO is more concerning than our depth at OT.  At least at tackle we have guys who we invested 4th rounders in, and guys who have had their moments of looking good at the NFL level.  At guard I think our only option is bouncing Tippmann out from center - but that only works if we re-sign McGovern.

If ALT was not on the ND roster, Fisher would have been the starting LT.  Fisher would be the starting LT on most of any of the big college programs. 

Developmental guards can be gotten in 5,6,7.  Especially with all the sup, picks the Jets get in round 7.  If they are actually scouting and evaluating tape, I guarantee there are OGs to be had in round 7.  Ones that can become good NFL starters.  

Adding here.  The last OG's that I saw who I rated as 1st round worthy were David DeCastro and Quenton Nelson.  Unless a guard is a "unicorn" no need to use a round 1 pick,

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If ALT was not on the ND roster, Fisher would have been the starting LT.  Fisher would be the starting LT on most of any of the big college programs. 

Developmental guards can be gotten in 5,6,7.  Especially with all the sup, picks the Jets get in round 7.  If they are actually scouting and evaluating tape, I guarantee there are OGs to be had in round 7.  Ones that can become good NFL starters.  

Perhaps if it's purely a developmental project, but I think the hope would be anyone we draft would also be considered day one depth.  Not sure how much trust we'd have in a 6th or 7th round guard being forced into the lineup.  A 3rd or 4th rounder though?  That's an easier pill to swallow.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jet25 said:

Joe Douglas's job is on the line this season. He's drafting a starter at pick 10

And after the mcdonald fail last year, douglas needs an impact player at 10.  He needs to get back to the kudos he got for sauce, breece and garrett.  I think everything points to a wr or bowers.  

56 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Pretty sure JD set this roster up exactly so that their is no position he MUST take at 10.

Pretty sure jd is not this skilled and got lucky that 2 over the hill ol guys and a wr actually agreed

43 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

But they can still draft a staring OT in round three after they get Bowers or top WR in round 1.  There are starting quality OTs all the way into round 3.  This is a uniquely deep draft for OT.  Some of the round 2 and even round 3 OT's would be 1st round picks in other drafts. 

Getting Bowers AND a top tackle later on would be a great draft!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

In an injury free world, the Jets would be stupid not to take a wide receiver or Brock Bowers with the #10 pick.

Unfortunately, that is a fantasy world, and not one that we live in.  We live in a world where injuries absolutely will occur, and if we are targeting the NY Jets, will probably occur more likely than not.

Think about it for a moment.  We got an All-Pro left tackle, that is projected to not play more than 13 games, at the most.  In fact, he doesn't even practice much, according to reports.  Why were we even able to get him?  Have you thought about that for a second?  It's due to his injury history that we were able to snag Tyron.

We have a right guard in AVT, who missed the majority of games the past 2 years, due to injuries.  We have Morgan Moses, who is getting up there in age, at 33 years old, and showing signs of wear and tear.  We have Tippman, who did deal with an injury last year, though did not miss much time.  Warren, as our main tackle backup, fought with injuries last year.

The Jets must keep Aaron Rodgers upright, and we can't wait until the 3rd or 4th round to take a tackle, and expect that the Jets will just insert that player if one of our main guys go down, especially at left tackle.

Drafting a tackle at #10 is the responsible and common sense move to make, and one that JD needs to be committed to.  Drafting a wide receiver and hoping that our O line stays healthy is playing with fire, and when you play with fire, you get burned.

All you need to do is look at how our offensive line transgressed over the past several years to know that this is what will happen, and we need to be prepared for it.

Don't agree. Take BPA. Building the OL with first round picks is not the way to go anymore.

52 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Lets take a step back both wr and ot make sense at 10. It becomes a matter of preference 

Morgan Moses only missed 3 games last year but every week he would rotate with mekari 

Tyron Smith hasn't played a full season in a decade 

Both of these dudes are broken down. The rookie OT will start the only question is when and how much. It could be a month it could be all year but that player, whether they take him in Rd 1 or Rd 3 is going to play. Alot 

Meanwhile Rodgers has shown no capacity to target or develop a rookie wr in fact all he does is blast them. Given his preference He's throwing to wilson, Williams lazard and the vets most likely. Cobby! Guys who know what to do with his funny little hand motions and audibles. I don't think Rodgers cares about adding a BTJ and he's the shadow gm 

This is the truth that no one wants to hear right now.

55 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Bowers tweaked a hammy and couldn’t even perform at the pro day. Douglas is not going to put his name on this player.

He’s talented but going to fall like a rock in the draft.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Yes, an insurance policy.

You’d be taking an OT in the Top 10 and sitting his ass on the bench in the hopes that he never sees the field barring injury.

What the hell did we spend mid-round picks on Warren and Mitchell for?

If you're confident Warren can step in and protect Rodgers' blindside, I guess that changes things.

If not, a Tyron Smith injury sinks your season and possibly ends Rodgers' career.

Mitchell is not a LT.

In a best-case scenario, it's an "insurance policy" for 2024, I suppose, but an invaluable one and a pick that fills an immediate need before it becomes in a need in 2025.

It's also not out of the realm of possibility that the rookie outplays 33 y.o. Moses for the starting RT position.

Moses was solid for the Ravens but not spectacular.  He got beat in a critical situation by Karlaftis in the playoff loss.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is a deep OT class.

After Alt and Fashanu who are supposedly a tier above, they can trade back and still get a quality starting caliber OT plus a good slot prospect like Ladd McConkey on day 2.

A dynamic slot WR completes this team.

This team doesn’t need prime Tony Gonzalez to win.

Aaron Rodgers has always been a talent maximizer at the TE position based on his accuracy, ability to read defenses and manipulate defenders with his eyes.

Bobby Tonyan once scored like 11 TDs 🤣 (2020) with Rodgers.

If you’re worried about depth across the entire line Fautanu supposedly has T / G versatility.

I want McConkey to. He won't last past 2nd rd. We need to trade down. At least once, if not twice. Grab a Tackle in the 1st and trade yp in the 2nd to make sure McConkey will be there.

• Sympathy 1