After all the moves, I think the Jets must take a tackle in round 1.

IMO jets should go WR in rd 1. doesn’t make sense to draft a backup olineman in rd 1 who may or may not even see the field. Draft your backup olineman in rd 3. Also not super high on some of these 1st rd tackle prospects

Mike Williams is on a 1 year deal and has his own injury history. if he goes down it’s Garret Wilson and nobody.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A long term injury to Garrett Wilson or 1 of the newly signed tackles would be a disaster.  There is not sufficient depth to overcome this at this point.   Either position could be justified at 10, but certainly not Bowers.  I really think tackle will be the pick if one of the top WR's doesnt fall to us.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Why do fans think we need to sink a Top 10 pick into an insurance policy?

If Smith getting hurt and the prospect of Warren starting a few games terrifies you, then go sign someone like Josh Jones or Bakhtiari.

Perhaps that is exactly what the Jets will do.  And if that happens, then you are in effect taking out an insurance policy on when someone will be injured this season, not if.  

Until and unless that happens, IMHO, we must get that tackle in round #1.

Injuries will occur, and it will occur to more than one player at one time on the offensive line.  

Don't believe me?

Just look at the past few years on our team.  It is inevitable.

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

IMO jets should go WR in rd 1. doesn’t make sense to draft a backup olineman in rd 1 who may or may not even see the field. Draft your backup olineman in rd 3. Also not super high on some of these 1st rd tackle prospects

Mike Williams is on a 1 year deal and has his own injury history. if he goes down it’s Garret Wilson and nobody.  

You think the rookie will start over Mike Williams? 

Both Jets tackles are on 1 year deals too

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If Smith getting hurt and the prospect of Warren starting a few games terrifies you, then go sign someone like Josh Jones or Bakhtiari.

Wouldn't the wr be an insurance policy too? With lazard on the roster would the rookie be wr4? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

After Alt and Fashanu who are supposedly a tier above, they can trade back and still get a quality starting caliber OT plus a good slot prospect like Ladd McConkey on day 2.

This would be the ideal situation, if we have the opportunity to do so.  So many quality O tackles in the first round, and if we can drop 5 to 10 slots, we can still get that first round tackle, and take the best available wide receiver in round #2.   That would be the best case scenario in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wouldn't the wr be an insurance policy too? With lazard on the roster would the rookie be wr4? 

Lazard should not be on the roster. I don't care if it costs us $10M -- the man doesn't deserve a spot on the final 53.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Doesn’t it depend who is on the board?

I’d rather pay the cost to move up for a legit superstar like MH or Nabers than end up reaching at #10.

IMO, if you trade back, you still have the optionality of WR or OT in round 1 plus an additional AB to swing for the fences on day 2 at whichever position you bypassed on day 1.

If you deal out of #10 to allow a team to take a QB, you can really take a team to the cleaners 🤣

Look at what Macc gave up to move 3 spots for Sammy Darnold 🤣🪦

• Upvote 2

Just now, DoubleDown said:

"Must" is a strong word, but taking OT is certainly high on the list of priorities.

The Jets need a long term, franchise LT.  They currently have two 33 year old 1 year rentals at both OT spots.  Drafting a tackle is not an insurance policy.  It's what a smart GM who has the ability to look beyond 1 year does when he has a blue chip premium position prospect staring him in the face.

Yet avt could play tackle as could Warren.  The jets right now have 2 legit wrs, one on a 1 yr deal coming off a major injury.  If they want to really contend this year they’re going to need at least one more viable weapon.  And we know you just can’t get them in FA

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I mostly agree

That’s why I’m going Bowers

Only way I’d go OT is if Alt miraculously falls.

The Top 3 wideouts are bound to be gone as well and I have a better chance of Sydney Sweeney shoving her t!ts in my face than the Jets drafting a QB.

Bowers is a legit game breaker and chess piece who can be moved all over the offense. Play him inline, put him in the slot, split him out wide…he can play anywhere.

TE not being a “premium position” is no concern to me. The Jets have a two year window to get this done, and I want as many offensive playmakers as possible, regardless of the position they play.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Lazard should not be on the roster. I don't care if it costs us $10M -- the man doesn't deserve a spot on the final 53.

Yeah we'll see. Zach shouldn't be on the roster either but here we are 

• Haha 2

Swing tackle is still a need. I think they will address it with a vet.

Long-term RT, LT, QB, and WR are still needs. We can only address one with our 1st round pick. Either one of those is fine. I think they will address WR with it though. 

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I mostly agree

That’s why I’m going Bowers

Only way I’d go OT is if Alt miraculously falls.

The Top 3 wideouts are bound to be gone as well and I have a better chance of Sydney Sweeney shoving her t!ts in my face than the Jets drafting a QB.

Bowers is a legit game breaker and chess piece who can be moved all over the offense. Play him inline, put him in the slot, split him out wide…he can play anywhere.

TE not being a “premium position” is no concern to me. The Jets have a two year window to get this done, and I want as many offensive playmakers as possible, regardless of the position they play.

This probably won't happen because of the tight end salary structure in other words the difference between bowers and fa te is smaller than the difference between rookie wr and fa wr or rookie OT and the fa OT 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet avt could play tackle as could Warren.  The jets right now have 2 legit wrs, one on a 1 yr deal coming off a major injury.  If they want to really contend this year they’re going to need at least one more viable weapon.  And we know you just can’t get them in FA

Yet, AVT missed the majority of last season on injured reserve, and Warren struggled with injuries a good part of last year.  And we already know that Tyron will not be playing all 17 games this year, and the year hasn't even started yet.  

We lose Tyron for any period of time, and one or two of our other linemen go down, without a viable option, we are done.  Rodgers is not a scrambling QB, and unless protected, his health will be in question again.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Alka said:

In an injury free world, the Jets would be stupid not to take a wide receiver or Brock Bowers with the #10 pick.

Unfortunately, that is a fantasy world, and not one that we live in.  We live in a world where injuries absolutely will occur, and if we are targeting the NY Jets, will probably occur more likely than not.

Think about it for a moment.  We got an All-Pro left tackle, that is projected to not play more than 13 games, at the most.  In fact, he doesn't even practice much, according to reports.  Why were we even able to get him?  Have you thought about that for a second?  It's due to his injury history that we were able to snag Tyron.

We have a right guard in AVT, who missed the majority of games the past 2 years, due to injuries.  We have Morgan Moses, who is getting up there in age, at 33 years old, and showing signs of wear and tear.  We have Tippman, who did deal with an injury last year, though did not miss much time.  Warren, as our main tackle backup, fought with injuries last year.

The Jets must keep Aaron Rodgers upright, and we can't wait until the 3rd or 4th round to take a tackle, and expect that the Jets will just insert that player if one of our main guys go down, especially at left tackle.

Drafting a tackle at #10 is the responsible and common sense move to make, and one that JD needs to be committed to.  Drafting a wide receiver and hoping that our O line stays healthy is playing with fire, and when you play with fire, you get burned.

All you need to do is look at how our offensive line transgressed over the past several years to know that this is what will happen, and we need to be prepared for it.

IMHO, the O-Line is the most important unit on an NFL team.  If I was a GM, it would always be my priority.  Not just the starters, but making sure my back-ups are top notch.  I would also always plan to make sure I had the next starters in place before the vets were ready to move on.

In this draft, you can get a starting OT in round 2 and even round three.  I have listed two of the best who will be there in round three.  Blake Fisher - ND and Matt Goncalves - Pitt

Give that, the Jets MUST have another high quality pass catcher. 

I'd MUCH prefer Brock Bowers at # 10.  That would be an incredible piece of luck for the Jets if he is there.  However, if MHJ is there, and this is VERY unlikely. I would take him over Bowers.  But MHJ is the only player in the draft other than ALT that I would take over Bowers.  Not just for the Jets, but for any team that does not already have an elite OT and WR wrapped up for at least three more years. 

I reiterate...

bowers, Bowers, BOWERS

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I'd be fine with taking a WR, but OT is certainly still a big need on this team.  It amazes me that some fans are willing to completely overlook the prospect of drafting a blue chip franchise OT because the spots are "filled" with 1 year rentals in their mid 30s.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

insurance policy? dude our line sucks and when the line breaks down everything else is done. we have a few new old guys with injury issues. they are on 1 year deals

bad bad take here

20 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

In my opinion, the Jets should draft some football players in the upcoming draft.

Not as funny as that sounds, but I 100 % agree.  JD must draft polished, complete football players and not what he seems like like best... As he put it FREAKS.   Ones like Zach Wilson and Becton.  No more FREAKS with potential, Joe.  PLEASE.  Above all, draft FOOTBALL PLAYERS. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This probably won't happen because of the tight end salary structure in other words the difference between bowers and fa te is smaller than the difference between rookie wr and fa wr or rookie OT and the fa OT 

I don’t think Douglas cares and neither do I

The dude was fully prepared to take a guy like Michael Mayer at #15 last year. And Mayer wasn’t in the same stratosphere as Bowers.

Now they’ve solidified the OL and have one of the better WR duo’s in the league. Sure it’s all dependent on health but you could say that about any team.

Bowers could legitimately be the piece that puts this offense over the top and has the Jets right in the thick of things.

Just now, DoubleDown said:

I'd be fine with taking a WR, but OT is certainly still a big need on this team.  It amazes me that some fans are willing to completely overlook the prospect of drafting a blue chip franchise OT because the spots are "filled" with 1 year rentals in their mid 30s.

Mainly b/c you can’t keep drafting OL in round 1, you wind up missing out on playmakers.  And you don’t need a stud OL to make the playoffs.  You need playmakers, and a qb who can get rid of the ball and complete a short pass when there’s a pass rush.  The jets could draft 5 OL and still give up pressures.  But having good playmakers - even bowers - would move the chains better than to keep relying on guys like brownlee.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

IMHO, the O-Line is the most important unit on an NFL team.  If I was a GM, it would always be my priority.  Not just the starters, but making sure my back-ups are top notch.  I would also always plan to make sure I had the next starters in place before the vets were ready to move on.

In this draft, you can get a starting OT in round 2 and even round three.  I have listed two of the best who will be there in round three.  Blake Fisher - ND and Matt Goncalves - Pitt

Give that, the Jets MUST have another high quality pass catcher. 

I'd MUCH prefer Brock Bowers at # 10.  That would be an incredible piece of luck for the Jets if he is there.  However, if MHJ is there, and this is VERY unlikely. I would take him over Bowers.  But MHJ is the only player in the draft other than ALT that I would take over Bowers.  Not just for the Jets, but for any team that does not already have an elite OT and WR wrapped up for at least three more years. 

I reiterate...

bowers, Bowers, BOWERS

We will agree to disagree.  You mentioned that we can get a starting OT in round 2 and even round 3.  Well, we don't have a pick in round 2.  I am not willing to hope that in round #3, we will be able to get a bona fide offensive tackle that we can insert this year, when, not if, we need him.  Hope is not a strategy.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

insurance policy? dude our line sucks and when the line breaks down everything else is done. we have a few new old guys with injury issues. they are on 1 year deals

bad bad take here

Yes, an insurance policy.

You’d be taking an OT in the Top 10 and sitting his ass on the bench in the hopes that he never sees the field barring injury.

What the hell did we spend mid-round picks on Warren and Mitchell for?

Why would we do this instead of signing a Josh Jones or David Bakhtiari on a cheap deal?

It’s dumb unless a guy like Alt falls into your lap.

Also, if Tyron Smith stays relatively healthy and continues playing at a high level, he’s not going anywhere after this year. The Jets will either extend him or slap him with the franchise tag.