Troy Vincent: NFL aiming to eliminate “swivel hip-drop” tackles despite NFLPA objections

9 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

See, this is where you’re wrong. It’s not about expanding the product. It’s about reducing liability.

Then get rid of professional football as it is if it’s too violent or has too much liability and create a different game. They are gradually chipping away at the game and changing the nature of the game.  It’s a brutal sport / always has been. Most Americans didn’t/ don’t watch football. There is a lot more $$ to be made 

24 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Then get rid of professional football as it is if it’s too violent or has too much liability and create a different game. They are gradually chipping away at the game and changing the nature of the game.  It’s a brutal sport / always has been. Most Americans didn’t/ don’t watch football. There is a lot more $$ to be made 

What America do you live in?

56 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

What America do you live in?

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/10/17/most-americans-dont-closely-follow-professional-or-college-sports/

the NFL was losing viewership which led them to promoting gambling and fantasy football to bring in more “fans”. The average American doesn’t follow football to any great extent. The NFL is always thinking of ways to expand its product (eg. Europe) and bring in more “fans”. It’s all about $$$. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/10/17/most-americans-dont-closely-follow-professional-or-college-sports/

the NFL was losing viewership which led them to promoting gambling and fantasy football to bring in more “fans”. The average American doesn’t follow football to any great extent. The NFL is always thinking of ways to expand its product (eg. Europe) and bring in more “fans”. It’s all about $$$. 
Yep .. like every empire before it .. for better or worse America is growing soft in its swansong from dominance. Look at Rome for a shining example. So the NFL is pivoting to keep pace with the changing sentiments these days .. flags are coming gentlemen .. maybe not for another 10-15 years .. but they are coming. Even worse would be AI robot players 'coached' by some.pip techgeek that is the team.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

The NFL is the most watched thing in America. It is wildly popular and is pretty much the only form of entertainment that hasn't seen a significant decline in popularity during the rise of streaming. 93% of the most watched broadcasts in America last year were NFL games.

Saying "most Americans" don't watch something is a useless statement. Most Americans literally don't watch anything. If you walk up to any American man between the ages of 18 and 65 and want to strike up a conversation last weekends NFL games are your best bet -- certainly better than any movie, television show, book, etc.

To the original point -- we are not at all in disagreement that it's all about money. I just think ensuring the future of the league by limiting liability and injuries is the key here not appealing to new demographics. If they wanted to appeal to Europe it's less about eliminating tackling and more about eliminating commercials which we know will never happen.

3 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

What does the average American follow 

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Saying "most Americans" don't watch something is a useless statement. Most Americans literally don't watch anything. If you walk up to any American man between the ages of 18 and 65 and want to strike up a conversation last weekends NFL games are your best bet -- certainly better than any movie, television show, book, etc.

I’m not sure it’s useless. It’s my opinion the NFL has a lot of casual fans hooked in by let’s say fantasy football but there are many more people out there that don’t play fantasy football and certainly many more that know little about football. 

The NFL for better or worse already has a plan to engage these people in becoming fans of football. They have done their homework their polling etc and now they are going to market it. 

They are Taylor Swifting the product. Yes the product will be safer but the product will change as a result. It will be sleeker/ faster / easier to understand and follow. It will become more acceptable to more people. The NFL imo could give a rats ass about safety if it meant that it would lose viewership or fans. 

Flag/Tackle  football is coming. Defensive style of play  will be a thing of the past. It will be about scores of 54 -47 maybe in the seventies. I predict within 10 years the QB will wear flags around his belt - this will be marketed slowly and start at the high school levels. 

https://operations.nfl.com/learn-the-game/flag-football/flag-football-growth/

it’s coming to a pro football team near you whether we like it or not. Once scholarships are available for college/ once parents see the benefit/safety of flag football, once high schools and colleges see the benefit and the expense (little) the lifeline of traditional professional football will dry up. 

Fantastic Video ... I don't know how you legislate that .. but if they can eliminate intentionally fracturing lower leg bones and ankles ... I'm all for it.

This is stupid.  You're not always going to get the perfect angle on a ball carrier.  This is also going to be impossible for Refs to call.  Stupid NFL.

The proposed kick off rules, are great, they were stolen from a much better product, the XFL.

This is stupid.  You're not always going to get the perfect angle on a ball carrier.  This is also going to be impossible for Refs to call.  Stupid NFL.
The proposed kick off rules, are great, they were stolen from a much better product, the XFL.
Watch the video .. it's about intentionally landing on the back of the lower legs with all your body weight. I was enlightened a bit. Nomodea how they will legislate it .. but it does lead to devastating injury.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Watch the video .. it's about intentionally landing on the back of the lower legs with all your body weight. I was enlightened a bit. Nomodea how they will legislate it .. but it does lead to devastating injury.

I understand the rule and I understand what they're trying to avoid but you cant always have the perfect angle and often, if you're trying to tackle a beastly human running full speed, you cant always perfectly control how you land once the collision happens.

It's stupid and going to impossible to ref, which is exactly what we dont need, more confusion for the already sh*tty refs.

On 3/22/2024 at 7:41 AM, Cyberjet said:

I too am frustrated with the changing rules for “player safety”. Though if I was an NFL owner I would do everything to protect the golden goose. And yes, it is all about the money, expanding the product. That’s capitalism and I don’t think owners should have to apologize for that. 

As for viewership, the NFL crushes everything else. Hell, they got Peacock to pay $110M for one playoff game, lol.

19 of the 20 most watched tv programs in 2023 was NFL. Scroll down, it’s nuts. 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/most-watched-shows-2023-ncis-oscars-blue-bloods-super-bowl-yellowstone-1235854795/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

I too am frustrated with the changing rules for “player safety”. Though if I was an NFL owner I would do everything to protect the golden goose. And yes, it is all about the money, expanding the product. That’s capitalism and I don’t think owners should have to apologize for that. 

As for viewership, the NFL crushes everything else. Hell, they got Peacock to pay $110M for one playoff game, lol.

19 of the 20 most watched tv programs in 2023 was NFL. Scroll down, it’s nuts. 

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/most-watched-shows-2023-ncis-oscars-blue-bloods-super-bowl-yellowstone-1235854795/

Spot on. It does capture a lot of the tv audience but there are a whole lot more people to capture. It will continue to grow as the game becomes less violent sleeker faster more scoring. It will trend toward a tackle/flag football concept. 

TV and the NFL will market high scoring and will promote individual players similar to how the NBA is doing / more celebrity involvement (Spike Lee at the court side anyone)

you are right they don’t have to apologize for going for the big bucks - as long as people watch it or buy the team shirts and merchandise they  will keep changing the rules. Really when you think about it - they have a monopoly and control of us - what else are we going to watch. Our only choice would be not to watch but those people will be in the minority as more people flock to the new product

Wouldn’t it be ironic if in the future a splinter football league developed that returned football to the rules of yesterday and is frowned upon. Of course by then the vast majority of athletes will be locked up and  prefer the safer more lucrative ‘new and improved’ NFL. 

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just one more penalty on the list of things for officials to incorrectly call, like horse collars that were actually jersey grabs.

They will penalize the tackle ad nauseum per the league until that type of tackle disappears out of football. You will now see a lot of broken tackles which will lead to more offensive excitement which is what the NFL wants.

The NFL is 3 steps ahead of us and has more changes planned but are integrating these changes slowly over time. 

On 3/21/2024 at 7:12 PM, Cyberjet said:

My prediction is that in the relatively near future the QB will be the first player to wear flags and avoid any tackling of the QB by removing a flag from the QB

"Did the defender have the flag off his waistband before the pass was released?"

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just one more penalty on the list of things for officials to incorrectly call, like horse collars that were actually jersey grabs.

At least the NHL with high sticking has allowed refs to be beeped by league replay office to reverse a clearly wrong call. NFL doesn't have anything like that. Instead the official has to stop the game, go to the sideline and look under the hood; pointless delay. Simply have an official watching the game and beep in when they get something completely wrong. At a loss why it's all dependent on refs working on site rather than a guy in an office looking at the feed. This shouldn't be so hard and stupid. 

On 3/21/2024 at 10:20 PM, bitonti said:

These men are professionals they know what they are doing 

It's just too dangerous and honestly who gives a rats ass about the ease of tackling for the linebacker? Or some db? They can figure it out

The ball carriers are the only reason anyone watches and that statement includes the Jets 

We don't want to see Garrett or breece hip dropped either 

i get wanting to improve the safety of the game, but it would appear that the players don't want this type of tackle to be banned.

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

"Did the defender have the flag off his waistband before the pass was released?"

Interesting. Exactly- the controversy continues but no one gets hurt. They’ll give the coaches an extra red flag on controversial calls. This way they will get more commercial time and we can all tweet our angst to one another. The beat goes on.