State income tax a stated factor in Shaq Barrett picking Mia over NYJ

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s a thing that agents tell to the player when the player is forced to take a below-market deal because they’re usually low-rung trash. “Sorry you had to take a journeyman contract, but it’s secretly 10% more (on eight checks) than you would have gotten if you signed with Team X (who likewise offered you a cut-rate deal).” Then the player gets in front of a camera and acts like they had a huge market but he chose the tax-free state. 

Players like Tyreek Hill, for example?

https://nypost.com/2022/10/03/tyreek-hill-picked-dolphins-over-jets-due-to-state-taxes/

With the Jets hosting the Dolphins this Sunday, the question of why Hill picked Miami resurfaced, and he gave a blunt answer. 

“It was very close to happening,” Hill told reporters on Monday, about nearly playing for the Jets. “Just those state taxes man. I had to make a grown-up decision.”

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, KINGDIRK said:

I have four 20 something year olds reporting to me at work in midtown. They are young, certainly not rich and they absolutely love living in NYC. I’m sure rich athletes could do the same.   

The average rent of an apartment in NYC is 150% higher than the national average.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

More accurately it was for Shaq 

Shaq listed 3 reasons. State tax was one of them.

Hill said it was the deciding factor for him. The idea that it's only scrubs and past-prime players making this decision is inaccurate. Just that most of them don't type it out on Twitter or say it so blatantly in interviews.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, xboxjets said:

That is not how income tax's work. You pay tax on where you make money. For home games for Miami players they don't pay income tax. The same is true for visiting players. When Miami players come up to NY/NJ they have to pay income tax to that state. There is still a competitive advantage down in Florida for football players, but its not all or nothing. 

If it's 8 games a year in Florida vs NJ, it's state income tax on 8 games, which still can be a 7 figure difference on a 20 million salary.

Now, how does it apply to bonuses?

Players like Tyreek Hill, for example?
https://nypost.com/2022/10/03/tyreek-hill-picked-dolphins-over-jets-due-to-state-taxes/

With the Jets hosting the Dolphins this Sunday, the question of why Hill picked Miami resurfaced, and he gave a blunt answer. 

“It was very close to happening,” Hill told reporters on Monday, about nearly playing for the Jets. “Just those state taxes man. I had to make a grown-up decision.”

https://www.thescore.com/news/2857294/amp

Tyreek Hill (notable genius btw) says many things.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I have four 20 something year olds reporting to me at work in midtown. They are young, certainly not rich and they absolutely love living in NYC. I’m sure rich athletes could do the same.   

Cool.  Now have them move to Florham Park and adjust the experience accordingly.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Years ago we used to be able to get past that with NYC being such a draw: night life and media hub and higher endorsements made up for a lot of that. Now the city has become a disgusting s***hole again like when I was a kid, and with there no longer being a need to be in a high population state or city to get publicity for big endorsements & such, what is left?

New uni's?

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Shaq listed 3 reasons. State tax was one of them.

Hill said it was the deciding factor for him. The idea that it's only scrubs and past-prime players making this decision is inaccurate. Just that most of them don't type it out on Twitter or say it so blatantly in interviews.

I’m sure there are dozens of reasons why players choose to go to a team.  
As I said if you wanted to go to a team without state income tax and it came down to that team and another without the tax issue why can’t you come back to that team and ask for the extra $250K or $500K they’d get somewhere else?

32 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

lol come on bro. Day off at luxury resort in south beach with mad Hotties left and right, is a little more appealing than freezing your nuts in a loud extremely over crowded city dodging sewer rats size of cats.. 

I hate the Dolphins but, if I were a player and had my choice, I'd much rather play in Miami than in NJ.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The average rent of an apartment in NYC is 150% higher than the national average.

I’m 46, married with kids and don’t live in Manhattan. I wouldn’t pay 150% higher than average rent. My 15 year mortgage payment in Brooklyn is lower than any of the rents that the young kids reporting to me are paying. 

But my 20 somethings at work love it, even with prosperous rents because…the bars, clubs, restaurants, concerts, Knicks, Rangers, Broadway, off Broadway. I do enjoy some of those things occasionally but not like these kids. 

I just think if the kids that report to me are having the times of their lives, a rich athlete could do OK as well, lol.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Remember when everyone was dunking on the NFL players who got paid in bitcoin? The $6.5 million he got paid in bitcoin is now worth $60.13 million.

Well done! I hope he sat on that for a while. 

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Remember when everyone was dunking on the NFL players who got paid in bitcoin? The $6.5 million he got paid in bitcoin is now worth $60.13 million.

I completely forgot about this.  That ended up being an outstanding decision.  I just hope he has sold some ($6.5M plus the interest he would've gotten between then and now at a minimum) to lock in his profits.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why is it so hard for some people to believe players pay attention to tax rates? Tax rates are not imaginary. They are real and impact the bottom line for these guys.

holy crap

Especially considering how short the average NFL career is.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I completely forgot about this.  That ended up being an outstanding decision.  I just hope he has sold some ($6.5M plus the interest he would've gotten between then and now at a minimum) to lock in his profits.

when you understand bitcoin you don't sell it for fiat currency unless you need/want to buy something. Okung is a bitcoiner, I doubt he traded it for a lesser asset.

If you lived in Venezuala and bought dollars with your Bolivars you wouldn't sell some dollars for Bolivars to "lock in profit", would you?

same thing, different timeframe & scale.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Yes, many of the players live in Morristown, etc. They still have access to the biggest city in the world that has a ton of nightlife.

26 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

They still have easy access to the city.

And why doesn’t it hold the appeal it used to?

The party scene is probably way better in Miami (e.g. South Beach) in the first place but you don't think these rich athletes can afford to fly to NYC to party when they want to?  

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

when you understand bitcoin you don't sell it for fiat currency unless you need/want to buy something. Okung is a bitcoiner, I doubt he traded it for a lesser asset.

If you lived in Venezuala and bought dollars with your Bolivars you wouldn't sell some dollars for Bolivars to "lock in profit", would you?

same thing, different timeframe & scale.

I hear you loud and clear.  I'm not saying he should've saved his money in USD though.  :)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Players won't stand for that and they'll never agree to it; they'd strike before letting that be part of the CBA. That's why I threw out a proposal idea that wouldn't cost the players anything.

I'm not saying that they will, or that it is possible.

I am not an expert in tax law, but perhaps each team should form a company in a non taxed state for payroll.  

I'm sure it isn't overly complicated.  

At the end of the day, I don't think it is a big a deal as it's made out to be.

If a player chooses a team for income tax, it's probably not a player I'd want in the first place.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, xboxjets said:

That is not how income tax's work. You pay tax on where you make money. For home games for Miami players they don't pay income tax. The same is true for visiting players. When Miami players come up to NY/NJ they have to pay income tax to that state. There is still a competitive advantage down in Florida for football players, but its not all or nothing. 

You're correct but what he is saying is that "signing bonuses" and "roster bonuses" are lump sum payments that help spread cap out over multiple years. Because it's paid out in 1 installment, they entirety of that bonus is un-taxed thus leaving a very low base salary that gets taxed at what you are saying.

Comparatively if the Jets pay out a signing bonus or roster bonus, it gets hit for the taxes so the player loses a lot more.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean chatGPT can get us mostly there in 30 seconds. why can't the league figure this out?

image.png.b3cf95d04631fd6d37a54863d78a0b61.png

image.png

I feel like it would be as easy as saying the salary cap is determined post-tax lol the only negative is the Billionaires need to fork over more for equal contracts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

We know our states sucks  NY and NJ

and we specifically know WHY our states suck

but we don’t have the smartest voters  to fix the problems

Please don’t rub it in

Truth..

I left and you could not drag me back...

• Upvote 1