Official NFL Draft Rumors and News Thread

The Chargers thing is an awesome point. I think they want a right tackle and take a receiver later. Also convinced they want to move down.

I have this half baked theory with the McCarthy-Commanders thing that they might try to pull something like the Dolphins did the year they moved down with the 49ers and move back up.

Fun chaos scenario would be Vikings make a huge move up to 2 for Maye, Daniels goes 3, and then Commanders use some of what they got to go down to come back up and get McCarthy at 4 or 5 depending on how locked in the Cardinals are on McCarthy. Extra chaos would be the Giants moving up in there too.

Big thing to me is if four QB’s go top six then the Jets could get WR3 or better at 7 without giving a ton up. And any non WR who goes above that drops that a spot. I could see Tennessee or Atlanta moving down for OL (speculation Tennessee might be into Latham with Callahan and I think the NFL may like him more than JN and Atlanta could dip down and get defense).

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, slats said:

The Chargers recently gave their star QB a $260M extension, and they have just four WRs currently under contract. It would be shocking to me if they passed on a WR at #5, although I’d love it. By all means, please take Alt. 

Would be sweeter if they surprised everyone and took Latham or Fuaga

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I just brought this up in the Draft forum.

I think what the Chargers end up doing at #5 will pretty much determine where we go (WR or OT) at #10

Theirs is a critical pick. What I really want to see is the Vikings picking in their spot, and them looking for WR/OT help right after the Jets make their selection. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Good gooooood.

Push MHJ right on down.

If the Jets are really set on a wideout, I don’t know how you don’t call Atlanta and offer #10 and one of our 4th’s for #8.

The Jets secure Harrison/Nabers/Odunze and the Falcons get to pick up an extra 4th and still take a guy like Dallas Turner.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

If the Jets are really set on a wideout, I don’t know how you don’t call Atlanta and offer #10 and one of our 4th’s for #8.

The Jets secure Harrison/Nabers/Odunze and the Falcons get to pick up an extra 4th and still take a guy like Dallas Turner.

I wouldn’t be in such a huge rush to jump Chicago’s second pick. I think they’re likely to go defense. I also think WR #3 could be off the board by pick #6. If it’s not, I probably sit and hope. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I personally believe the Jets are looking for OL help @ 10 or a trade down where they can get a 2nd if they can find a reasonable partner... Best OL 1st & Best WR 2nd. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Hard to believe they’d go into a season with Quentin Johnston as their only WR.

They’re taking MHJ or Nabers.

They do pick at the top of round 2 and could get a very good WR there. But then again, they could get a good OT there too.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I personally believe the Jets are looking for OL help @ 10 or a trade down where they can get a 2nd if they can find a reasonable partner... Best OL 1st & Best WR 2nd. 

Perfect scenario as long as one of the top 3 WRs or top 2 LTs doesn't fall to 10.

37 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets need to trade up for Marvin or Nabers. That’s the only move to make right now IMO.

The Jets need to take a QB but since they extended JD and Saleh that is a likely scenario

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Good gooooood.

Push MHJ right on down.

You refuse to test this is what happens, you can ignore the fact that teams do get influenced by workouts and times and such but it is to your own peril.   

We have two or three guys rated quite closely together we like them all.  Two guys do the testing or pro days and rip off times and do nice drills, one guy thumbs his nose and says "I'm the best I don't need to do that stuff."

1 hour ago, slats said:

I wouldn’t be in such a huge rush to jump Chicago’s second pick. I think they’re likely to go defense. I also think WR #3 could be off the board by pick #6. If it’s not, I probably sit and hope. 

I agree here. It has confused me how many folks have Bears going WR when they have needs everywhere and a good skill position group already. Other thoughts:

1) I think it's EXTREMELY likely the Cardinals stay put at 4. They need WR as bad as anyone, and will take MHJ unless he goes at #3. Even then, they'll want Nabers or Odunze, so they can't trade back too far. The giants wouldn't bother trading from 6 to 4 unless the QB they want is there and it becomes a bidding war with a team outside the top 10. Even then, I think the Cardinals move back no further than 6 and take a WR. 

2) No way WAS moves off its pick. They traded Howell, they know they're getting any QB they want besides Williams.

3) Sadly, I believe Alt to TEN is a lock, unless LAC take him first (in which case things might get weird, but TEN may just take a WR). Our best hope to get a WR3 is the Falcons and Bears both taking defensive players, which is not out of the question. 

It's that time of year where mock pros are doing weird things to change it up and get clicks, but don't be fooled. Joe Alt, Dallas Turner, 4-5QBs and 2-3WRs are locked to go ahead of us. Let's hope it's 5 QBs and 2 WRs, or that one more defensive player makes their way in there. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think consensus is four QB’s in the top six and if Tennessee goes OL then WR3 or better would be there at 8.

Agree Chicago may go defense, but I think worth a four to secure WR3.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets need to trade up for Marvin or Nabers. That’s the only move to make right now IMO.

What are you planning to trade away to get up that high? 

It isn't going to be free, our #1, #3 and #4 is probably not enough in the real world.  You giving away next year's #1?

And which team realistically in s spot to take say, MHJ, is both willing to give him up and willing to trade down as far as #10?

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You refuse to test this is what happens, you can ignore the fact that teams do get influenced by workouts and times and such but it is to your own peril.   

We have two or three guys rated quite closely together we like them all.  Two guys do the testing or pro days and rip off times and do nice drills, one guy thumbs his nose and says "I'm the best I don't need to do that stuff."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I think consensus is four QB’s in the top six and if Tennessee goes OL then WR3 or better would be there at 8.

If we can do this for only a 4, I'd agree. I do think there's an issue though - the logic from the Falcons end would be that they can get the same guy at 8 or 10. But if (assumably) Odunze goes to us at 8, what does Chicago do? Maybe take the Falcons "guy". 

They'd probably want more than a 4 in case that happens, as I imagine the "guy" is Dallas Turner and the Bears are rather likely to grab him if he's there. Is it worth a 3? I'm not so sure. I think if we can't do this for a 4, GM Mr. Rogers is staying pat and looking for a trade back if Odunze really goes at 9.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

As long as the 9 teams are picking really high then he is good to go, if one of the top 5 teams is not one them it might cost him spots in the draft and thus money.

At least he can have a scowl on his face draft day and say he now has a chip on his shoulder if another guy gets picked above him.

He will likely be the 1st wr picked but the gap between him and Nabers and Odunze is not as grand canyon like as people on here seem to think.

13 minutes ago, derp said:

Then it would come down to the Jets evaluations of WRs #3 & 4, and what they believe will happen at pick #9. If they felt it was the right call, I wouldn’t get too upset (until I had a couple years of hindsight, when I’d be posting a lengthy, angry thread about it). 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What are you planning to trade away to get up that high? 

It isn't going to be free, our #1, #3 and #4 is probably not enough in the real world.  You giving away next year's #1?

And which team realistically in s spot to take say, MHJ, is both willing to give him up and willing to trade down as far as #10?

MHJ and Nabers look like can’t miss prospects and fall into that Jamaar Chase category for me. I’d give up 10 and next years 1 for either of those guys. (Fingers crossed it’s a pick in the mid to lates 20s). Rolling out an offense of:

GW, MHJ/Nabers, Mike Williams

Breece Hall

to go along with our defense? I think Aaron would win his 5th MVP and we’d be serious contenders for a Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As long as the 9 teams are picking really high then he is good to go, if one of the top 5 teams is not one them it might cost him spots in the draft and thus money.

At least he can have a scowl on his face draft day and say he now has a chip on his shoulder if another guy gets picked above him.

He will likely be the 1st wr picked but the gap between him and Nabers and Odunze is not as grand canyon like as people on here seem to think.

Would have been really easy for any of them to ask him to run a 40 or whatever drill if it was important to them. They've seen the tape and know he's the premier WR in this class.

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I don't understand his behavior.  He is a job interview for a massive job, yes, he will be drafted high in the 1st round, but dropping just 1 spot costs over 1 million dollars.   Do whatever it takes to not let someone drop you a slot, give them no excuse.

Let's take a look at the estimated total value of rookie contracts for each first-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, based on Spotrac's data:
  • No. 1: $41.2 million.
  • No. 2: $39.4 million.
  • No. 3: $38.2 million.
  • No. 4: $36.9 million.
  • No. 5: $34.5 million.
  • No. 6: $30.4 million.
  • No. 7: $27.02 million.
  • No. 8: $23.7 million.
  • Upvote 1