Reiss: NE rejected multiple offers for #3 pick

19 hours ago, RoadFan said:

It was, in part, a business decision by New England.   Their fans will have zero reason to attend games in the second half of the season when the Pats are 2-7.  Maye will keep them intrigued when he is ready to take over for Brissett.  

I agree they had to take a qb up high but how much drop off would there be between maye and McCarthy?  Plus if it’s hype what better hype is to take another Michigan qb?

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

I agree they had to take a qb up high but how much drop off would there be between maye and McCarthy?  Plus if it’s hype what better hype is to take another Michigan qb?

Maye has drawn comparisons to Herbert and Allen.  McCarthy?  Cousins and Baker.  Every measurable, Maye is better than McCarthy.  I heard one comparison for Maye as Allen-lite.  Maye has a great arm, athleticism, etc., but he is a tick below Allen in those departments.  

I would rather the Patriots try to develop an Allen-lite than a Cousins/Baker prospect.

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Turning down a goldmine of picks in exchange for the 3rd best QB in a draft is how it starts. Welcome to the real world cheaters.

Gold mine?

Remember, trading out of three, the Patriots were losing out on the chance of drafting the 3rd QB that is significantly a better prospect than anyone drafted behind him.  Plus, he has a better arm and size than the two drafted ahead of him.  There is no Caleb WIlliams in the 2025 draft class.  Plus, you miss out on drafting the top WR and T by trading down.

10 hours ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Can we all just acknowledge that the Patriots are, always have been, and always will be a dumpster fire of an organization that happened to find a winning Powerball ticket, #199, in one of those dumpsters?

That is fair.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

For most positions, if you can trade back for great value and only get a slightly worse player, it makes obvious sense. However, QB is the one position you don't really wanna compromise on, yknow?

Based on my personal opinion that the two have similar technical proficiency (if not in Mayes favor), but Maye appears to have higher upside traits, i think the Pats chose correctly. 

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yep, absolute home run, can't miss guy... played 6 years, made the playoffs in 4 of them, and had to retire. 

How many pro bowls does a 1.1 pick have to make before you think it's good? 8? 12?

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

side note there's still Jets fans who refuse to accept Josh Allen is a good Qb or Tua is a good Qb so i guess this is usual Jets fan behavior 

who?  No one I know.  Stop making stuff up.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

How many pro bowls does a 1.1 pick have to make before you think it's good? 8? 12?

Did I say it was a bad pick? What are you looking for an argument about? I'm sure one of our fine providers will be happy to accommodate your needs!

3 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Did I say it was a bad pick? What are you looking for an argument about? I'm sure one of our fine providers will be happy to accommodate your needs!

all im saying is the bar for successful draft picks seems to be crazy high around here 

2 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Marty Deeks Facts GIF by ION

I can’t say I hope it works out for you because I don’t, lol. History says the majority of these guys are gonna bust. I think with NE’s weak roster, getting all the picks they could’ve out of it would’ve been the smart move. If Maye turns out to be the guy, then it wouldn’t’ve. I’ll wish you good luck in that I really don’t mean it kinda way. 😉

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, slats said:

I can’t say I hope it works out for you because I don’t, lol. History says the majority of these guys are gonna bust. I think with NE’s weak roster, getting all the picks they could’ve out of it would’ve been the smart move. If Maye turns out to be the guy, then it wouldn’t’ve. I’ll wish you good luck in that I really don’t mean it kinda way. 😉

Either way it was a calculated risk.

I was on Team Mac, but it is abundantly clear last year you need a stud not a fringe Top 10 guy to compete.  To your point, the Patriots still need to develop Drake and build the team around him. 

🤞 some of Ron Wolf's DNA rubbed off on his kid Elliot.  

I think that with perfect hindsight they probably take the Giants trade and pick McCarthy at 6. But they couldn't do that in real time without taking the risk that minnesota, who obviously wanted to come up for a QB, would trade ahead of them to five and take McCarthy.

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Either way it was a calculated risk.

I was on Team Mac, but it is abundantly clear last year you need a stud not a fringe Top 10 guy to compete.  To your point, the Patriots still need to develop Drake and build the team around him. 

🤞 some of Ron Wolf's DNA rubbed off on his kid Elliot.  

Ne is just like the other bad teams now, desperately searching for a qb.  Failed with Mac.  Also afraid of not taking the guy and then having him be good.  So i could see some debates within NE.  

27 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think that with perfect hindsight they probably take the Giants trade and pick McCarthy at 6. But they couldn't do that in real time without taking the risk that minnesota, who obviously wanted to come up for a QB, would trade ahead of them to five and take McCarthy.

This is actually a pretty valid point that I don't think most here thought about. Moving any further back risked missing out on Maye AND McCarthy. Trading back always sounds rosy til something happens like Broderick Jones & the Jets last year. 

Maybe NE would have been okay with Nix or Penix - they did have pre draft meetings with each, including 2 with Nix. But I assume those were just due diligence and they were locked in on Maye/Daniels, who they did a TON of work on.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Ne is just like the other bad teams now, desperately searching for a qb.  Failed with Mac.  Also afraid of not taking the guy and then having him be good.  So i could see some debates within NE.  

Of yeah.

I was watching the draft on the NFL Network.  They had not made the pick yet.  I saw on my phone the Patriots were live on Instagram.  I clicked it and they were showing the pick of Drake.  Some sort of delay.  People were already in the chat labeling him a bust and/or Mac Jone 2.0.

I was like, dam, the kid just got drafted.  Give him a chance to suck.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

People were already in the chat labeling him a bust and/or Mac Jone 2.0.

I was like, dam, the kid just got drafted.  Give him a chance to suck.

LOL

Do you think they start "the Drake" week 1, or roll with Jacoby until the season officially bottoms out?

I'd set the over/under on Maye for turnovers at 2 (1 fumble, 1 INT) if he starts against the Jets.

That Vikings offer would have been hard to turn down. Coaching staff just got hired, so no gun to the head for success in 2024. 4 firsts, plus at 11, could they have traded down again with McCarthy sitting there? All what ifs but given the state of that offense, I'd much rather get the talent on the team first, then address the QB position in 2025.

17 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Do you think they start "the Drake" week 1, or roll with Jacoby until the season officially bottoms out?

I'd set the over/under on Maye for turnovers at 2 (1 fumble, 1 INT) if he starts against the Jets.

I think Jacoby will be the sacrificial lamb for the first month. 

I can see a scenario like in 2021 where the projected starter Cam loses the job to the rookie Mac Jones because the latter is just better.

I just wonder if they keep Drake on the sidelines as to "fine tune" his game while the coach's workout any problems on the OL. 

Owenu is projected as the RT.  David Andrews is the C.  Sidy Sow did well as a rookie at RG.  That part of the OL is good.  The rest remains to be seen.

Cole Strange had a knee injury late last season.  They have a FA singing from Pittsburgh with a good amount of experience at RT.  A rookie draft pick with a good amount of experience at RT. Plus, they drafted a guard and have one from last year's rookie class.  Plus, they are implementing a wide zone blocking scheme with players that are not really built for it.  They have bodies.  Whether one can play LT and the entire OL can execute the new scheme is TBD.

If the OL coaches can implement the new scheme over OTAs and training camp, I could see Drake starting.  If it looks like a sh*tshow like 2022 when Bill tried to implement the same scheme.  Drake is fine tuning his craft.

25 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

I think Jacoby will be the sacrificial lamb for the first month. 

I can see a scenario like in 2021 where the projected starter Cam loses the job to the rookie Mac Jones because the latter is just better.

I just wonder if they keep Drake on the sidelines as to "fine tune" his game while the coach's workout any problems on the OL. 

Owenu is projected as the RT.  David Andrews is the C.  Sidy Sow did well as a rookie at RG.  That part of the OL is good.  The rest remains to be seen.

Cole Strange had a knee injury late last season.  They have a FA singing from Pittsburgh with a good amount of experience at RT.  A rookie draft pick with a good amount of experience at RT. Plus, they drafted a guard and have one from last year's rookie class.  Plus, they are implementing a wide zone blocking scheme with players that are not really built for it.  They have bodies.  Whether one can play LT and the entire OL can execute the new scheme is TBD.

If the OL coaches can implement the new scheme over OTAs and training camp, I could see Drake starting.  If it looks like a sh*tshow like 2022 when Bill tried to implement the same scheme.  Drake is fine tuning his craft.

Didn't they sign Jacoby to a 2 year deal? If I'm the pats I'm not putting Maye on the field any sooner than week 8. To be honest, personally I'd try to commit to giving him the whole first year off, but later in the season I'd understand if they want (and the fans want) to see him *in game action just to see what they've got. 

Brissett is a better game manager by far than the corpse of Cam Newton. With the pats likely having an above average (if not elite) defense like usual pending player health, I think they'll at least keep most games close enough that fans won't get too disillusioned. The fan base knows it's a rebuild and new coaching implementation, might as well take their time and do it right, no?

On 5/1/2024 at 9:24 AM, PFSIKH said:
On 4/30/2024 at 10:26 PM, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Can we all just acknowledge that the Patriots are, always have been, and always will be a dumpster fire of an organization that happened to find a winning Powerball ticket, #199, in one of those dumpsters?

That is fair.

I don't think it's fair.  The Pats made Super Bowls in the 1980's and 1990's before becoming a 2 decade dynasty in the 2000's.  I do think that Brady was the all time winning lottery ticket though.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Didn't they sign Jacoby to a 2 year deal? If I'm the pats I'm not putting Maye on the field any sooner than week 8. To be honest, personally I'd try to commit to giving him the whole first year off, but later in the season I'd understand if they want (and the fans want) to see him uh game action just to see what they've got. 

Brissett is a better game manager by far than the corpse of Cam Newton. With the pats likely having an above average (if not elite) defense like usual pending player health, I think they'll at least keep most games close enough that fans won't get too disillusioned. The fan base knows it's a rebuild and new coaching implementation, might as well take their time and do it right, no?

I believe so.

I do not disagree with your point.  There are a lot of arguments for sitting him.  Brian Hoyer said fixing his footwork should not be hard.

One of the Boston media pointed out early in the pre-draft process, it is a little disingenuous on judging Drake to Jayden regarding how polished they are.   Jayden had more than twice as many starts in college as Drake.  Drake also lost a HS season to COVID.  

If the OL is bad, then I fully agree with your course of action.  If his mechanics still need work, then definitely sit him.  I think one of his biggest needs is game experience.  

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think it's fair.  The Pats made Super Bowls in the 1980's and 1990's before becoming a 2 decade dynasty in the 2000's.  I do think that Brady was the all time winning lottery ticket though.

There were two ways I could argued it.  One, look at the Steelers and to a lesser degree the 49ers before their respective dynasties.    The STeelers were woefully bad.

Then I thought.  The Patriots first decade they were a bit of a joke playing in Fenway Park and various college stadiums.  In the 70s, they were still a joke with a crappy stadium.  Plus, there was drama with Chuck Fairbanks, a coach they fired from a 10-5 team.  Then the 80s hit, they fired Ron Meyer in midseason.  The team owner lost millions of dollars funding a Michael Jackson tour.  The 90s was full of drama with Bill Par$ells, Pete Carroll and the Par$ellsJ/ets and Belichick/Jets drama.  Even the dynasty, you had stupid crap like spygate and deflate gate.  Then the acrimonious way the dynasty ended with Tom, Bob and Bill.

I think it is fair.