OTAs 2024, Days 1-3

13 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Thank God they didn't!  I still can't believe that Douglas would have been so stupid to draft a WR at #10 rather than take a LT!!!! Great WRs are much easier to find than great LTs and LT is a much more important position and is critical for the Jets with Smith's injury history.  It would have also been criminally negligent to go into next season with no starting caliber OT on the roster.  We got lucky because Atlanta did the right thing.  Evidently, our GM is too stupid to do the right thing.

Top WR are currently getting a lot more money as FA than top OL.  Douglas knows and is trying to develop a pipeline as other good teams do.  But when the best WRs were gone, he pivoted to the next most valuable position.  

43 minutes ago, slats said:

This is what I’d expect. Corley just got his playbook. He’s being introduced to the Jets, and the NFL in general, in these OTAs. Gipson is the incumbent starter, so he gets the nod now and possibly/probably again when camp opens in July. But by opening day, I have very little doubt that Corley will be starting in the slot. Gipson was on the roster all 17 games with three starts as an UDFA. I expect the first pick of the third round to move ahead of him quickly, and produce 2-3x the receiving yards Gipson put up last season, or more. It’s not like Gipson was Wayne Chrebet last year. Imho, Corley will be top five in receptions this season with a chance of being top three. It’ll be Wilson, Breece, then Conklin, Williams, and Corley in some order. I really disagree on the learning curve. 

Lazard is running on the outside because Williams is in recovery, and that will probably continue into training camp leaving the slot competition between Corley and Gipson. Lazard will wind up being WR4, primarily backing up Williams, and that’ll only be if Brownlee can’t beat him out. Rodgers can love Lazard all he wants, but he’s still got to demonstrate that he can be effective as a Jet after last year. 

We couldnt disagree further.  I do find it ironic though, that everything you said wasnt going to happen, is happening in their very first gathering, you can use the Corley just got the playbook excuse all you want as you claim he doesnt have a learning curve, lol but he's catching passes from Tyrod Taylor during meaningless practices.  

I'd venture to say there is 0% chance they're trusting a rookie in that spot on opening day in that environment.  Rodgers hasnt played ball in a year, I'm quite confident he'll want to throw to his favorite teammate of all time that night as he settles in and not some young kid who he cant trust to be in the right place at the right time.  Wilson, Williams, Lazard - is the ideal WR set.  Veterans, w/ size, speed, blocking and they're interchangeable.  They can all line up wide or in the slot.  They'll want to play ball control on the road, and that's the squad that can help that do it the best. 

I also think it's odd, when were discussing Bowers, that you didnt trust Hackett to be able to get him the ball...you literally were saying, how are we going to get this short small-ish dude the ball, how does his game translate, what's he going to do in the NFL, how does this help the team and nobody his size succeeds!!!!  And yet, you dont have the same concern for literally identical players per your scouting report, who is considerably smaller and only slightly faster and played Accountants, not future NFL players but I digress.  I guess things fit narratives when necessary. 

And also, Top 5 receptions could legit be like 20 catches for 300 yards.

1 hour ago, slats said:

The Jets weren’t trying to trade up into the second round to draft a WR who they planned to sit behind a 5’9”, 185 lb UDFA all year. I’m sure there’ll be some combination of manufactured touches and traditional slot receiving duties from Corley, but he’ll be the starter. 

FTR, one of Allen or Davis will be ahead of Abanikanda, too. 

Jet fans never learn.  Tippman was a high 2nd round pick and didnt play over super jag mcgovern until an injury happened.  

This coaching staff has trouble getting 1st round picks on the field in year 1 let alone a 3rd round pick.

But go ahead and have your visions of corley and allen being major contributors this year.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

We couldnt disagree further.  I do find it ironic though, that everything you said wasnt going to happen, is happening in their very first gathering, you can use the Corley just got the playbook excuse all you want as you claim he doesnt have a learning curve, lol but he's catching passes from Tyrod Taylor during meaningless practices.  

I'd venture to say there is 0% chance they're trusting a rookie in that spot on opening day in that environment.  Rodgers hasnt played ball in a year, I'm quite confident he'll want to throw to his favorite teammate of all time that night as he settles in and not some young kid who he cant trust to be in the right place at the right time.  Wilson, Williams, Lazard - is the ideal WR set.  Veterans, w/ size, speed, blocking and they're interchangeable.  They can all line up wide or in the slot.  They'll want to play ball control on the road, and that's the squad that can help that do it the best. 

I also think it's odd, when were discussing Bowers, that you didnt trust Hackett to be able to get him the ball...you literally were saying, how are we going to get this short small-ish dude the ball, how does his game translate, what's he going to do in the NFL, how does this help the team and nobody his size succeeds!!!!  And yet, you dont have the same concern for literally identical players per your scouting report, who is considerably smaller and only slightly faster and played Accountants, not future NFL players but I digress.  I guess things fit narratives when necessary. 

And also, Top 5 receptions could legit be like 20 catches for 300 yards.

Less than 0

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I always love your positive energy. But come on.  
We’ve had QB’s have good practice days.  And surely a 41 year old QB in January is going to need to be a lot better than a 40 year old in May in shorts. 

How many have shown up with 13-15, 3 TDs and 0 picks or better yet who did it last?  Pennington? Vinny? 

3 hours ago, slats said:

The only wildcard would’ve been what Chicago did with Odunze off the board. They certainly weren’t going QB. Probably the best defender or a trade back (if they could find one). No way the Raiders feel the need to trade ahead of Atlanta, who -like you said- made a bizarre choice with that pick. Prior to that shocker, it looked like the Raiders had a clear path to the QB they wanted. 

Not just that, but McCarthy was still on the board and was the consensus No. 4 QB, so if anyone was moving up to 9 for a QB odds were it would've been to jump Minnesota for JJ

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I believe Zach Wilson had a perfect day on his birthday two summers ago 

15 for 15?  3 TDs? 0 INTs?
On the same birthday? 

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

I think there is another piece to consider in that given how hard JD tried to move up for Corley, they didnt think he would be available and may have just thought Odunze and a late 2nd/early 3rd OT was a more realistic scenario then Olu and late 2nd/early 3rd Corley.

To me I really think they did better with Olu and Corley then Odunze and what was available in that area (Patrick Paul, Rosengarten, Suamatia and blake fischer). 

Yup.  I have little doubt that Odunze was the Jets' top target at 10 but I'm very happy with the way that things worked out.

The Jets clearly love Corley - they were desperate to trade up for him and, judging by the Flight 24 draft coverage, Douglas seemed willing to offer two 4th round picks plus his 3rd to move up into the 2nd round for him. I think they were genuinely shocked to be able to get him in the 3rd, and only had two give up a single 5th rounder in the move up.

Looking at the OTs who were available in the 3rd round, you have to think the Jets are feeling very good with their Fashanu and Corley top two.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, slats said:

This is what I’d expect. Corley just got his playbook. He’s being introduced to the Jets, and the NFL in general, in these OTAs. Gipson is the incumbent starter, so he gets the nod now and possibly/probably again when camp opens in July. But by opening day, I have very little doubt that Corley will be starting in the slot. Gipson was on the roster all 17 games with three starts as an UDFA. I expect the first pick of the third round to move ahead of him quickly, and produce 2-3x the receiving yards Gipson put up last season, or more. It’s not like Gipson was Wayne Chrebet last year. Imho, Corley will be top five in receptions this season with a chance of being top three. It’ll be Wilson, Breece, then Conklin, Williams, and Corley in some order. I really disagree on the learning curve. 

Lazard is running on the outside because Williams is in recovery, and that will probably continue into training camp leaving the slot competition between Corley and Gipson. Lazard will wind up being WR4, primarily backing up Williams, and that’ll only be if Brownlee can’t beat him out. Rodgers can love Lazard all he wants, but he’s still got to demonstrate that he can be effective as a Jet after last year. 

I actually disagree, primarily because of what I'm seeing here

If Rodgers already trusts Gipson to be in the right place so much that he's comfortable throwing him no-look 40 yarders, Gipson is definitely in position to keep his starting role at least through the beginning of the season, and possibly longer

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I do find it ironic though, that everything you said wasnt going to happen, is happening in their very first gathering, you can use the Corley just got the playbook excuse all you want as you claim he doesnt have a learning curve, lol but he's catching passes from Tyrod Taylor during meaningless practices. 

You can go back to my first post on the subject and see that I said then that Corley would probably not open training camp as the starter. That’s normal and to be expected. I made no comments about OTAs because who gives a ****. I don’t bet here, but you can certainly feel free to bump whatever you like from me if Corley isn’t the opening day starter. Worst case scenario, I’d see it like Tippmann last year; not starting to open the season, but finishing with a dozen or so. 

13 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

The big difference is that Bowers is allegedly a TE and Corley is a WR. The Jets already primarily run 11 personnel, and changing slot WRs wouldn’t necessarily need to change the playbook. Bowers would require them to play 21 or 12 personnel primarily, adjusting the playbook accordingly, as Corley is more prepared to be an NFL slot receiver than Bowers is to be an in line TE. Tough to compare their speeds or athletic abilities in general when Bowers refused to test. I’m happier to get the gritty ‘tweener receiver in the third round rather than in the top ten, too. As a first round pick, Bowers will have the ball force fed to him this year, but (without making any bold proclamations) it will not surprise me to see Corley have the more productive career. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think there is another piece to consider in that given how hard JD tried to move up for Corley, they didnt think he would be available and may have just thought Odunze and a late 2nd/early 3rd OT was a more realistic scenario then Olu and late 2nd/early 3rd Corley.

To me I really think they did better with Olu and Corley then Odunze and what was available in that area (Patrick Paul, Rosengarten, Suamatia and blake fischer). 

I hope that JD didn't seriously think the Jets would have been better off with Odunze and a 3rd round OT, than with Olu and Corley.  If so, imo he should fired now before he can do any further damage.  IMO none of those OTs would have been able to step in and play effectively this season if/when Smith and/or Moses goes down with a serious injury.  I really like Amegadjie's potential, and like both Paul and Suamataia, but they all have more work to do to be ready to start in the NFL, none of them have the ceiling and talent that Olu has, and like all developmental prospects, it's iffy whether or not they develop.  With Carter as the OL Coach, I wouldn't hold my breath on any of those 3 developing.

I totally agree that they did better with Olu and Corley. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

The Jets weren’t trying to trade up into the second round to draft a WR who they planned to sit behind a 5’9”, 185 lb UDFA all year. I’m sure there’ll be some combination of manufactured touches and traditional slot receiving duties from Corley, but he’ll be the starter. 

FTR, one of Allen or Davis will be ahead of Abanikanda, too. 

You keep saying this like it matters.  It doesnt.  They took a player10th overall to sit all year unless of injury.  lmfao.  So why would they treat a third rounder differently?  

25 minutes ago, slats said:

And yet there are only 5 LTs who make more than $20M/year, topping out with Larry Tunsil at $25M. Meanwhile, there are 18 WRs making $ 20M/year or more, with three of those earning over $30M. The league considers the WR position to be more important. 

I disagree.  WRs are a playmaking position that's why they get paid more than LTs, which is a non-glamour, grunt-work type position.  The top positions are QB, LT and Edge, CB, then WR. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

You can go back to my first post on the subject and see that I said then that Corley would probably not open training camp as the starter. That’s normal and to be expected. I made no comments about OTAs because who gives a ****. I don’t bet here, but you can certainly feel free to bump whatever you like from me if Corley isn’t the opening day starter. Worst case scenario, I’d see it like Tippmann last year; not starting to open the season, but finishing with a dozen or so. 

The big difference is that Bowers is allegedly a TE and Corley is a WR. The Jets already primarily run 11 personnel, and changing slot WRs wouldn’t necessarily need to change the playbook. Bowers would require them to play 21 or 12 personnel primarily, adjusting the playbook accordingly, as Corley is more prepared to be an NFL slot receiver than Bowers is to be an in line TE. Tough to compare their speeds or athletic abilities in general when Bowers refused to test. I’m happier to get the gritty ‘tweener receiver in the third round rather than in the top ten, too. As a first round pick, Bowers will have the ball force fed to him this year, but (without making any bold proclamations) it will not surprise me to see Corley have the more productive career. 

Great points in the bolded paragraph!  As you said, there would be no radical adjusting of the playbook for Corley as the slot WR has been a big part of that offense when they were in GB.  Lazard often ran plays from the slot, Randall Cobb was a huge factor in GB's offense, and I think some of their other really good WRs were used in the slot as well.

1 minute ago, JustInFudge said:

You keep saying this like it matters.  It doesnt.  They took a player10th overall to sit all year unless of injury.  lmfao.  So why would they treat a third rounder differently?  

Because Joe Douglas is a value guy, and his first rounders are premium positions. Once the WRs who would’ve started -like Corley will, lol- were gone, he took his BAP who is already pencilled in as the starter at LT in 2025. What they wanted in the first round was an upgrade to the receiving corps, and once they didn’t get that they targeted this specific player with their next pick with full intentions of getting him on the field. 

6 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Because Rodgers literally called him his favorite receiver in the draft and he's currently chilling in his guest house. 

If you don't think Corley is going to play a meaningful part this season you're nuts.  He may not go off in week 1 but it won't take long until he's a fan favorite. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Top WR are currently getting a lot more money as FA than top OL.  Douglas knows and is trying to develop a pipeline as other good teams do.  But when the best WRs were gone, he pivoted to the next most valuable position.  

Yes, top WRs get more money than top LTs, but that doesn't mean that their position is more valuable.  A team can get by without a stud WR if they have a very good-great QB, very good-great OL, at least a very good rushing attack, and a group of solid (good to very good) WRs and TEs.  The opposite is not true, as we have seen with the Jets time and again.  When your starting QB doesn't have time to find WRs or is injured on the sideline, it doesn't matter one whit how great one's top WR or WRs are.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jet fans never learn.  Tippman was a high 2nd round pick and didnt play over super jag mcgovern until an injury happened.  

This coaching staff has trouble getting 1st round picks on the field in year 1 let alone a 3rd round pick.

But go ahead and have your visions of corley and allen being major contributors this year.  

Pisses me off that the best young HC in the league can’t figure this out

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I dont see corley playing much this year.  He is a mid round rookie who will need to get used to the nfl game.  I dont see him playing over gipson much.

They will have some quick screens and gadget plays for him but I dont see him getting much playing time unless theres an injury.

Less then zero this will happen 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Your worst case scenario, in 95% of situations for teams, is a best case scenario.  The amount of week 1 starting WR's drafted in the 3rd round, are few and far between.  I dont see Corley breaking that mold, especially considering the circumstances.  The more likely scenario is that he doesnt start a single game this season and has a limited but specific and hopefully effective role on the team ie; screens, gadgets, and manufactured touches just like in college, unless injuries occur and he's forced into more action.  I legit hope I'm wrong, I like Corley, was excited about the pick and I think he will be a good player for the Jets but as pertains to this season, I'm just playing the very favorable odds.

Your Bowers takes are laughable and I just wanted to laugh at you trying to explain that logic, thank you.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Because Joe Douglas is a value guy, and his first rounders are premium positions. Once the WRs who would’ve started -like Corley will, lol- were gone, he took his BAP who is already pencilled in as the starter at LT in 2025. What they wanted in the first round was an upgrade to the receiving corps, and once they didn’t get that they targeted this specific player with their next pick with full intentions of getting him on the field. 

Right.  Will McDonald didnt play year 1, JJ didnt play year 1, Olu wont play year 1 but Corley, Corley will because yah know, they really wanted him and just settled for those other guys.  lol

• Upvote 1

Your worst case scenario, in 95% of situations for teams, is a best case scenario.  The amount of week 1 starting WR's drafted in the 3rd round, are few and far between.  I dont see Corley breaking that mold, especially considering the circumstances.  The more likely scenario is that he doesnt start a single game this season and has a limited but specific and hopefully effective role on the team ie; screens, gadgets, and manufactured touches just like in college, unless injuries occur and he's forced into more action.  I legit hope I'm wrong, I like Corley, was excited about the pick and I think he will be a good player for the Jets but as pertains to this season, I'm just playing the very favorable odds.

Your Bowers takes are laughable and I just wanted to laugh at you trying to explain that logic, thank you.

Cool, I’m sure we’ll discuss it more in the future. 

Also, taking an undersized TE who refused or was physically unable to test at #10 would’ve been far more laughable than anything I might have to say about the player. I was happy to be right in that Joe Douglas never would’ve done that. 😘

18 minutes ago, Pac said:

Because Rodgers literally called him his favorite receiver in the draft and he's currently chilling in his guest house. 

If you don't think Corley is going to play a meaningful part this season you're nuts.  He may not go off in week 1 but it won't take long until he's a fan favorite. 

Dude, lmfao, just stop it.  If the Jets took Odunze, does Rodgers say.  "Man, I like Rome but that Corley guy the Chargers got...phew, that's who I really wanted".  I'm sure Rodgers would have been heart broken if Marvin Harrison Jr. fell to them and the Jets had to take such a lesser prospect.  Dont be silly, silly goose. 

I'm always right and you know this so I dont know why you're challenging me but then again, you love being wrong so there is that but I'll be right again.  As I said, I think Corley was a great pick and will be a good player, just temper you expectations as a rookie.  It's not crazy...it's logical. 

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Right.  Will McDonald didnt play year 1, JJ didnt play year 1, Olu wont play year 1 but Corley, Corley will because yah know, they really wanted him and just settled for those other guys.  lol

You’re making my point here. McDonald didn’t start, but Tippmann did. Johnson didn’t start, but Breece did. Same thing this year; premium position taken in the first, priority vacancy filled with the next pick. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Cool, I’m sure we’ll discuss it more in the future. 

Also, taking an undersized TE who refused or was physically unable to test at #10 would’ve been far more laughable than anything I might have to say about the player. I was happy to be right in that Joe Douglas never would’ve done that. 😘

Yep, you were right but JD kind of sucks at drafting and I'm kind of awesome at this, so, once again, we'll be bumping those and Justin Fudge will right again.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

You’re making my point here. McDonald didn’t start, but Tippmann did. Johnson didn’t start, but Breece did. Same thing this year; premium position taken in the first, priority vacancy filled with the next pick. 

Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! did not start week 1.

Breece Hall had 6 carries in his first career game.

lmfao

Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!! did not start week 1.

lmfao

Just now, JustInFudge said:

@Sperm Edwards you SOB you!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Joe W. Namath  lets threaten to take our talents elsewhere (is there another Jets board) - this place cant survive w/ out us!!!

FREE TIIIIIIPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

lmfao

Like I said, worst case, somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 starts if he’s not the opening day starter. He’ll finish the season as one of the Jets top five receivers in both receptions and yards. I’m not dying on the opening day starter hill, although I’ll be disappointed if Corley isn’t the opening day starter (much like I was disappointed that Tippmann wasn’t the opening day starter last year). 

Breece was carrying the load by week four. Corley won’t do much -if any- worse than that from the slot as a rookie. 

14 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Dude, lmfao, just stop it.  If the Jets took Odunze, does Rodgers say.  "Man, I like Rome but that Corley guy the Chargers got...phew, that's who I really wanted".  I'm sure Rodgers would have been heart broken if Marvin Harrison Jr. fell to them and the Jets had to take such a lesser prospect.  Dont be silly, silly goose. 

I'm always right and you know this so I dont know why you're challenging me but then again, you love being wrong so there is that but I'll be right again.  As I said, I think Corley was a great pick and will be a good player, just temper you expectations as a rookie.  It's not crazy...it's logical. 

Looks like someone else has a worm eating away at their brain. 

Why don't you hit the beach Spicoli. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

lmfao

7 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

@Sperm Edwards you SOB you!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a Jets fan this will have to suffice as my Super Bowl victory.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

This coaching staff has already been embarrassed by benching breece and wilson initially in favor of veterans.  You’d think they learned something.

Regarding Corley, it’s easier (in theory for a competent OC and staff) to scheme at least a few plays where they’re throwing him the ball at the LOS opening day, then relying on him to learn the wr route tree for each position before they trust him.  

• Upvote 1

• Bronx changed the title to OTAs 2024, Days 1-3