Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I think what we saw last year was that izzy doesn’t have the instincts to play rb enough to take advantage of his juice.  You should see juice immediately at rb.  Not being a stud in pass pro is forgiven if you can rip long runs every now and then.  

That's a fair take on what little we saw of him last year, seeing reports in OTA's on him not standing out is a bit concerning though the true measure will be when the pads come on. On the flip side we now have legit young deep competition at the RB position. That competition, should be gold to watch this preseason!

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nervous Jets GIF by The Undroppables

That pick single-handedly ruined and wasted 3 full years of Jets Football. The rest is trivia, good or bad.

All because of this one throw!!!... and something I had missed is the announcer goes from mentioning his worst college game "Coastal Carolina thing" to anointing him the next great QB hopeful, how ironic! ...  will definitely be interesting if he gets on the field this year to complete that trivia!  LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets week one opponent did worse, trading a few first rounders for perhaps a bigger bust. The fact that there were no good QBs in that draft helps him out. There’s no one you can point to and say he missed. You like Fields, Mac Jones was that guy for a hot second in their rookie years, but they all suck. 

I wish I actually knew what the **** they were thinking last year. I was fine entering the season with Zach as the backup because Rodgers hadn’t missed a start in five years but, once AR8 went down, they should’ve immediately entered the street FA market and found a viable option. Or the trade market. Something. I don’t know if that was JD’s call or Woody’s call but I know for certain it wasn’t Saleh’s call. Clinging to the false hope that Rodgers would be able to return was not a realistic approach. 

That roster was good enough to win and this roster looks stronger. The old tackles aren’t that old and they have good depth behind them. The only Rodgers’ buddy left is Lazard, and he might be a healthy scratch most weeks this season. Their biggest offensive stars are draft picks who performed at high levels with bottom level QB play. The defense is championship caliber, with more than one potential DPoY candidate in the lineup. 

Of course, now they need Rodgers to stay upright and win a solid majority of their games. Win a playoff game and the whole gang gets extended. 

San Fran drafted Lance with the Jimmy G., still on the roster.  He barely played and then realized he was bust and traded him.  I think the handling of that situation isn’t really comparable and if the Jets drafted Fields, they would have made the playoffs in back to back seasons and wouldn’t have needed Rodgers.  

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

The interesting thing about Braelon Allen is that he fell in the draft after struggling in 2023 - but his struggles can be attributed in large part to the system change that came with a new HC. This kid had 1200 years in each of his first 2 seasons which is elite production for any RB and is still only 20.  

Very high ceiling pick that should complement Breece really well.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it speaks more toward how unserious Woody is as an owner, imo. He was over-involved in the Zach Wilson travesty and knew he was complicit enough that he couldn’t outright blame Douglas for it, and, to save face, he stuck another $75 mil in escrow to bring Rodgers in to paper everything over. Also think it’s kind of overstated how “talented” the Jets roster is. Most rosters in the NFL have a pack of name-brand guys on it that are very good. The Cardinals are “talented.” The Texans are “talented.” The Commanders are “talented.” The reason anyone is optimistic about this Jets team is because Rodgers and Tyron Smith plus clever defense should equate to ten plus wins. Which is fine! But it’s not due to some cumulative, sustainable, coherent effort by Douglas, imo. Dude is down twelve with a minute and change left and he’s firing threes from the logo.

This may be the wackiest of all your wacky posts. The Jets beat good teams last year despite having Zac Wilson and others manning the helm after Rodgers went down.  Clever defense?  The D was top 5 despite no help from the offense.  We have multiple ascending young defensive players.  Quincy. JJ. Sauce. McDonald. Quinnen.  Offense with Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, Tyler Conklin, Williams, and Corly ?  If Rodgers is top ten, we win our division.  If we have good luck with injuries, we challenge for the top seed in the AFC.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, slats said:

I wish I actually knew what the **** they were thinking last year. I was fine entering the season with Zach as the backup because Rodgers hadn’t missed a start in five years but, once AR8 went down, they should’ve immediately entered the street FA market and found a viable option. Or the trade market. Something. I don’t know if that was JD’s call or Woody’s call but I know for certain it wasn’t Saleh’s call. Clinging to the false hope that Rodgers would be able to return was not a realistic approach. 

i think it was that the needed a final answer on what Zach is. they probably thought that after watching Rodgers for all of OTOs, and TC that Zach could have learned something to keep us in it. 

the so called "plan" was to have Zach watch Rodgers for 23 and 24 and then take over in 2025. but that would mean giving him that expensive 5th year option. now im sure they were alright with that if Rodgers played for 2 years but once he went down they wanted to see now if he showed any improvement.

plus Zach didnt help by having a good game after coming in for Rodgers week 1. that made them hold off on getting anyone. then after 2 really bad games vs Dallas and NE we were all done with him. but then he had his best game maybe ever by almost beating the SB champs on Sunday night. that made them pause again. then another win vs Denver with Zach completing over 70% for the 2nd week in a row. 

so i can see why they kept going with Zach even though it made no sense to not bring someone in. it would have took them a few weeks to learn the offense anyway. then when Zach falls like he did we have a QB ready to replace him.

i agree it wasnt Saleh who wanted Zach to play. hell i dont even think he wanted to draft him judging by all the benching he did to him in 3 years. i think the Rodgers injury gave JD and Woody one last chance to see if they really were going to hand him all that money and the franchise in 2025.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

He’s underrated here. I think he was the #13 TE in receiving yards year, on the #31 offense, with nothing at QB. He’s been a consistent 600 yard guy for three straight years. Along with Wilson and Breece, that’s not a terrible trio. Obviously want to see Williams, Corley, or both, surpass him, or for him to do more himself, and with Rodgers at QB all of that should be possible. 

Yeah, I think Conklin is solid and receivers 3-6 will ultimately be a mish-mosh of Corley, WIlliams, and Conklin/Ruckert, so it’s not a huge factor. Just thought it was interesting Bowles was like “We got Garrett, Breece, and, uh, Conklin” 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The things working against Douglas are that he’s been on the job for five years, the team has never been competitive at any point in that time, he’s already swapped out coaching staffs and he’s shot his shot on a lottery pick QB. If Rodgers doesn’t carry him over the line this year—as Rodgers himself admits—Douglas is probably all out of chances. 

When Douglas took over (after FA and the draft BTW), the Jets had one of the worst, if not THE worst roster in the NFL and a bloated cap due to Mac's bungling of the cap and giving our huge FA contracts to bums.  No one in their right mind thought that the Jets would win anything for the first 2-3 seasons.  He's made his share of mistakes, but he's had a lot of bad luck with injuries, and he has made some great moves.  The GM buys the groceries that the CS wants.  It's then up to the CS to make a tasty feast out of those groceries.  They have failed more than JD has.  The three things I am the harshest on him are:

1. Hiring Saleh instead of Brian Daboll

2. His allowing Saleh to hire MLF as the OC and a rookie QB Coach.

3. His complete and utter bungling of the handling and development of Zach Wilson

I know a lot of posters say that he never should have drafted Zach, and perhaps he shouldn't have, but Zach's arm talent was tantalizing, and he supposedly had the work ethic and desire to be great.  Covid threw a serious monkey wrench into the works.  Perhaps if things had been normal and the Jets had been able to spend more time with him, they wouldn't have drafted him, or would have changed who they hired and how they did things.  Supposedly, Zach was an independent, unanimous choice by everyone on the CS and FO.  So because of that, I can't blame him for drafting Zach, but I can sure blame him for basically throwing Zach to the wolves, when Zach obviously need time to fix his fundamentals, needed to work on reading Ds and going through progressions, and there should have been an experienced OC and QB Coach at the very least, and a veteran QB for Zach to sit behind.  It may not have made any difference, but we'll never know, and if he had made the right decisions and moves, and Zach still didn't develop, then we couldn't blame him for how things turned out, only for drafting him.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Hiring Saleh instead of Brian Daboll

2. His allowing Saleh to hire MLF as the OC and a rookie QB Coach.

3. His complete and utter bungling of the handling and development of Zach Wilson

Not to discount the rest of your post, but these three things alone are usually career-enders for any GM. 

7 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Anything is possible but I think getting rid of Douglas and Saleh would be viewed by Woody as a total rebuild.  I think he likes this team and feels we are close.  My bet would be that he keeps Douglas regardless.  Saleh could get sacrificed if the team doesnt produce and there is a better candidate available.  If the wheels come off completely due to injuries etc, who knows how he responds to a  frustrated fan base.

Regardless of what Woody thinks, the new GM and HC could think an almost total rebuild was needed, especially if they chose to run schemes that were diametrically opposed to the schemes that we're running now and they wanted to create a different team culture.  So, if he doesn't think a rebuild is warranted, then I think he should keep Douglas, but needs to make it clear to Douglas that he'd better get it right this time, it's his last chance, and that the team will be expected to make the playoffs within 2 years,

46 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not to discount the rest of your post, but these three things alone are usually career-enders for any GM. 

We agree on that.  I was ready to see his head roll this offseason, but imo he redeemed himself with his offseason bringing in T. Smith, Moses, Simpson, Taylor, Williams, and drafting Fashanu, Corley, Stiggers, and Allen and now maybe Cohen too.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

We agree on that.  I was ready to see his head roll this offseason, but imo he redeemed himself with his offseason bringing in T. Smith, Moses, Simpson, Williams, and drafting Fashanu, Corley, Stiggers, and Allen and now maybe Cohen too.

You forgot to mention he was actually able to get a draft pick for Zippy. That's a minor miracle right there.

13 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Aaron continuing to #EliminateDistractions with his instagram story 

If he wasn’t a football player, he’d be the least interesting human walking the face of the earth. Obscurity awaits this weirdo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If he wasn’t a football player, he’d be the least interesting human walking the face of the earth. Obscurity awaits this weirdo. 

Now the easily trigged will be flooding this thread.  All it took was a handshake.  Hahahahahaha.

1 hour ago, PS17 said:

Aaron continuing to #EliminateDistractions with his instagram story 

Just looked. Don’t think shaking a former president’s hand is much of anything. Two massive celebrities in the same arena sitting near each other . 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Just looked. Don’t think shaking a former president’s hand is much of anything. Two massive celebrities in the same arena sitting near each other . 

In a vacuum one off post, maybe, but Rodgers went on a rant in December about eliminating non-football distractions. And since we’ve had nothing but political nonsense and long winded opinionated podcast appearances. Just focus on your rehab and be ready for training camp in August. It’s okay to not be in the national discourse for a week. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

In a vacuum one off post, maybe, but Rodgers went on a rant in December about eliminating non-football distractions. And since we’ve had nothing but political nonsense and long winded opinionated podcast appearances. Just focus on your rehab and be ready for training camp in August. It’s okay to not be in the national discourse for a week. 

It doesn’t appear to be creating a distraction in the locker room. The team seems to love him. He’s 40 and a first ballot HOF’er. We knew this came with the territory. Hell he had a former teammate with him last night. He also got a massive ovation too.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

By this metric the team has to net 10 wins... Right or is it 9 ? emoji23.png

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If they can go 4-3 in Tyrod’s starts, they’ll get to 10-7 and that second wild card.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetkwondo said:

All because of this one throw!!!... and something I had missed is the announcer goes from mentioning his worst college game "Coastal Carolina thing" to anointing him the next great QB hopeful, how ironic! ...  will definitely be interesting if he gets on the field this year to complete that trivia!  LOL

laziest take in the history of sports.

• Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Does he really offend that many people or just the sensitive folk who seem to whine the loudest? 

It's been that way forever.  Loud groups of whiners who have nothing better to do than whine loudly.

Adults with jobs and a purpose in life don't have the time or inclination to chime in.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

San Fran drafted Lance with the Jimmy G., still on the roster.  He barely played and then realized he was bust and traded him.  I think the handling of that situation isn’t really comparable and if the Jets drafted Fields, they would have made the playoffs in back to back seasons and wouldn’t have needed Rodgers.  

They might be able to get him as a FA next offseason if they want him.

• Ugh 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I think Conklin is solid and receivers 3-6 will ultimately be a mish-mosh of Corley, WIlliams, and Conklin/Ruckert, so it’s not a huge factor. Just thought it was interesting Bowles was like “We got Garrett, Breece, and, uh, Conklin” 

If I’d listed Mike Williams before Conklin would that have made you feel better?