Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

16 hours ago, slats said:

He’s underrated here. I think he was the #13 TE in receiving yards year, on the #31 offense, with nothing at QB. He’s been a consistent 600 yard guy for three straight years. Along with Wilson and Breece, that’s not a terrible trio. Obviously want to see Williams, Corley, or both, surpass him, or for him to do more himself, and with Rodgers at QB all of that should be possible. 

Tyler Conklin has reached 600 yards, once.  Last year, on 61 catches when he failed to score a TD.  He has a solid, 27 straight games w/out a TD.  If anything, he's overrated as many of you thought he was the reason the Jets didnt need too address TE.  He's the ultimate JAG.  He doesnt run routes because he cant.  He's an outlet guy who falls over immediately upon catching the ball, he has 200 yards after the catch, if you're doing the math, that'2 yards, which is the size of his torso when falling forward.  Which mean, he doesnt even move his feet after the ball is received.  This isnt QB dependent, he was the same guy w/ Kirk Cousins, almost identical stats w/ a QB who threw for 4500 yards and 35 TD's. 

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

If I’d listed Mike Williams before Conklin would that have made you feel better?

I think if we’re six weeks in and Mike Williams is the third best skills guy on offense, then the offense is probably going to be pretty good. If we’re six weeks in and Conklin is the third best skills guy, we should probably start prepping for Mike McCarthy and Quinn Ewers in 2025

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Tyler Conklin has reached 600 yards, once.  Last year, on 61 catches when he failed to score a TD.  He has a solid, 27 straight games w/out a TD.  If anything, he's overrated as many of you thought he was the reason the Jets didnt need too address TE.  He's the ultimate JAG.  He doesnt run routes because he cant.  He's an outlet guy who falls over immediately upon catching the ball, he has 200 yards after the catch, if you're doing the math, that'2 yards, which is the size of his torso when falling forward.  Which mean, he doesnt even move his feet after the ball is received.  This isnt QB dependent, he was the same guy w/ Kirk Cousins, almost identical stats w/ a QB who threw for 4500 yards and 35 TD's. 

This is how churning out stats can confuse.  Conklin started 4 games in his first 2 seasons.  His career is those 4 seasons and 2 of those were 600 yd seasons.  He’s been productive for 3 of his 4 years as a starter 
He’s not Kelce but he’s not the ultimate JAG 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think if we’re six weeks in and Mike Williams is the third best skills guy on offense, then the offense is probably going to be pretty good. If we’re six weeks in and Conklin is the third best skills guy, we should probably start prepping for Mike McCarthy and Quinn Ewers in 2025

Who cares what order he listed them in?  What does the order change?

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Well, this Tyler Conklin breakdown video begs to dispute the JAG label by highlighting what he does very well

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

This is how churning out stats can confuse.  Conklin started 4 games in his first 2 seasons.  His career is those 4 seasons and 2 of those were 600 yd seasons.  He’s been productive for 3 of his 4 years as a starter 

He hasn’t scored a TD in 27 games.  27.

16 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Does he really offend that many people or just the sensitive folk who seem to whine the loudest? 

Man, all you do is whine about the whiney, it’s almost like maybe you’re the sensitive one? 

• WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Man, all you do is whine about the whiney, it’s almost like maybe you’re the sensitive one? 

I asked a question. That's whining? 

Enjoy your Fields led Super Bowl. Superstar!

Happy Molly Shannon GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

If Mike Williams is third, it means that he's dead.

Which is why him being called third by someone listing receivers on the team means nothing, no one said he was the third best option

56 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

lol there were a bunch of times last year where Conklin was standing wide open in the end zone while Zach was Zachin’ Conklin is a saint for not killing him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

It wasn’t, it was intended to dispute that he is not a JAG when he is the definition of one. 

If the definition of a JAG is a quality starting complete TE who has upside after catching passes from one of the worst starting QBs ever, then I’ll take it.

Cannot have stars at every position.  One of the main goals is to ensure you don’t have duds at the others. 

Our starting playmakers:

Stud:  Breece, Garrett, Rodgers if he still has 90% in the tank

Good:  Conklin, Rodgers if he has 75% in the tank

?:  Williams, Corley

Every team in today’s NFL has question marks.  What I like about Corley is that he was the best YAC option available and is a good match for what Rodgers does well.  He can contribute immediately on designed plays near the LOS that don’t overly rely on his route running, which will likely take time to develop.

I‘m in the camp of bringing in another vet WR  if one gets cut loose.  Can’t have too much quality depth.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Conklin is the 19th highest paid TE and makes less money then Josh Oliver and Colby Parkinson (2 TEs Ive never even heard of) so him not having elite production isnt an issue.

He is an excellent blocker and route runner, so hes not the best after the catch - who cares.

The other thing is that anythign Conklin has accomplished as a Jet has been with league worst QB play.  In addition to winning games, I hope Rogers is healthy so that we can watch an offense that actually can get easy yards.  Conklin allowing us to really run block and the catch a 6 yard out from Rogers are plays that this team hasnt been able to execute in YEARS.  Hes going to be an excellent TE this year and help the offense quite a bit.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

Correct, the last QB to throw a TD pass to Tyler Conklin was Zach Wilson, on October 30, 2022.  The talented Wilson thew 2 TD's to Conklin.  Conklin has not caught a TD pass since, w/ 5 different QB's throwing him the Football since that glorious day.

15 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If the definition of a JAG is a quality starting complete TE who has upside after catching passes from one of the worst starting QBs ever, then I’ll take it.

Cannot have stars at every position.  One of the main goals is to ensure you don’t have duds at the others. 

Our starting playmakers:

Stud:  Breece, Garrett, Rodgers if he still has 90% in the tank

Good:  Conklin, Rodgers if he has 75% in the tank

?:  Williams, Corley

Every team in today’s NFL has question marks.  What I like about Corley is that he was the best YAC option available and is a good match for what Rodgers does well.  He can contribute immediately on designed plays near the LOS that don’t overly rely on his route running, which will likely take time to develop.

I‘m in the camp of bringing in another vet WR  if one gets cut loose.  Can’t have too much quality depth.

He produced the same stats w/ Kirk Cousins throwing for 4500 yards and 35 TD's.

I never said it was a problem Conklin was a JAG, just that, well, simply, he's a JAG.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, BCJet said:

He is an excellent blocker 

Tyler Conklin led the Jets’ TEs with 62 pass-blocking snaps, placing 11th in the league among TEs. Conklin was credited with allowing seven pressures (one sack), tying him for fifth-most among TEs. His allowed pressure rate of 11.3% ranked 50th out of 54 qualifiers.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I never said it was a problem Conklin was a JAG, just that, well, simply, he's a JAG.  

I agree if our definitions match up.  He’s a quality (average) starter.

I get your point on his first year starting but that was his first year starting.  It would have been fair to believe he had upside off that baseline.  I remember finding and posting a graph that showed that TEs peaked later and maintained that peak longer than WRs and other skill positions outside QB.

In any event, good discussion.  A JAG isn’t a bad thing.  We need them over TURDS, which is what out TEs typically have been for the past decade.  

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

lol there were a bunch of times last year where Conklin was standing wide open in the end zone while Zach was Zachin’ Conklin is a saint for not killing him. 

Was that when he dropped the pass in the end zone? And no I am not thinking of CJ.

Zach wasn't good, but Conklin had opportunities he didn't make the most of them.

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

Tyler conklin had the 13 most yards of all tight ends in the league last year.  How can you be in the top half of all players at your position and be a JAG.

When you are the top half of what you do, you are not a JAG.

Jets fans dont understand what a JAG is.  Not surprising.

• Sympathy 1