CJ Stroud has some thoughts about Aaron Rodgers being a choke artist

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I have not seen a single person say the Jets are a lock for the Superbowl under any circumstances. Contender, yes. Lock? Why do people make this crap up?

Great question.

You see this over and over again on this board and it's puzzling. The Jets win total is 9.5. Vegas (a proxy for the betting public) considers them a fringe playoff team. That seems to be in line with what most people are saying about them on most podcasts, shows, internet forums I frequent. They have a lot of talent but are relying on some old or injury-prone veterans at QB and OT and the coaching is highly questionable. The consensus still seems to be that the Bills will win the division, and if not them, then probably Miami. 

The "Jets are overrated" narrative is, in and of itself, overrated. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

I don't think he realizes that he basically said the Packers would have won more SB's if Stafford was their QB instead of Rodgers. At least I hope he didn't. 

He definitely realized. Rodgers is a great regular season qb, in the playoffs he’s been inconsistent in the biggest games. He’s only made one Super Bowl…Rodgers isn’t clutch, or at least he hasn’t been to this point. Hes 1-4 in NFC championship games. All stroud was saying is that if stafford had better teams around him and had those same opportunities, he’d have more than the 1 ring.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, extmenace said:

He definitely realized. Rodgers is a great regular season qb, in the playoffs he’s been inconsistent in the biggest games. He’s only made one Super Bowl…Rodgers isn’t clutch, or at least he hasn’t been to this point. Hes 1-4 in NFC championship games. All stroud was saying is that if stafford had better teams around him and had those same opportunities, he’d have more than the 1 ring.

Why is CJ Stroud even bringing this up?

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

LOL. The Lions did an awful job of surrounding Stafford w/ Talent. It was CJ, Stafford, and literally nothing else.

Eh....Golden Tate has many years where he had more catches than Megatron.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

Is this the same CJ Stroud who QBed his team to a 30-6 annihilation by the Zach Wilson led Jets in 2023?

I'd keep my mouth shut, if I was him.

Actually I'm pretty happy he said it. Fuels his fire even more.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Great question.

You see this over and over again on this board and it's puzzling. The Jets win total is 9.5. Vegas (a proxy for the betting public) considers them a fringe playoff team. That seems to be in line with what most people are saying about them on most podcasts, shows, internet forums I frequent. They have a lot of talent but are relying on some old or injury-prone veterans at QB and OT and the coaching is highly questionable. The consensus still seems to be that the Bills will win the division, and if not them, then probably Miami. 

I can think of only one poster who says we are a lock to win SB and Saleh will be extended for an eternity along with JD....  

But other than that one, can't think of one other claim.  Yet people who come here to point out all the negatives are quick to lie and imply that the board is flooded with unwarranted homerism.  Pure nonsense.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

He has one Super Bowl his entire career.  It’s a fair criticism.  It’s also why I don’t understand Jets fans and some in the media saying we are a lock for the Super Bowl as long as Rodgers doesn’t get injured that is a typical jet let down waiting to happen 

Their rankings since the Super Bowl season by Pro Football Outsiders’ DVOA:

• 2011: 26th
  • 2012: 8th
  • 2013: 31st
  • 2014: 16th
  • 2015: 9th
  • 2016: 22nd
  • 2017: 24th (Dom Capers fired)
  • 2018: 29th (Mike Pettine hired)
  • 2019: 15th
  • 2020: 17th (Mike Pettine fired)
  • 2021: 22nd (Joe Barry hired)
  • 2022: 20th

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/defenseless-how-defense-led-to-decade-of-disappointment

The Jets were 3rd in DVOA in 2023 for reference.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, extmenace said:

So now wins and losses are a QB stat? I always get confused because it flip flops so much.

A second year player calling out a HOF player is pretty ludicrous if you ask me. I'm still going with "he's an idiot who didn't word his comment properly."

• Upvote 1

1. I think the Delta between Aaron Rodgers and Matt Stafford is perhaps a little thinner than many fans think, but Rodgers is clearly the superior QB and the metrics all prove that.  Stafford's huge variance in throwing INT's alone are a big, meaningful difference maker, even if their per-game Yardage is quite similar.

2. I think CJ Stroud commenting on other QB's, both still in the league, is a bit silly.  He would have been better off with a generic answer to whatever question he was presumably answering.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

So now wins and losses are a QB stat? I always get confused because it flip flops so much.

It never flips.

Wins/Losses are a team stat. 

Wins/Losses in games a QB starts is also something tracked, and has some meaning if parsed out.

The perfect example of the inherant flaw in assigning wins/losses to the starting QB is this: 

In the game where the Jets knocked Teddy Bridgewater out of the game after one play, the "win/loss" was assigned to him, because he started the game.

If that doesn't show the flaw of that as a "QB stat", I don't know what would.  Zach Wilson too had a few games where this same flaw reared it's head.  For example, Rodgers gets the "win in games started" vs. Buffalo last year, not Wilson.  That was after 4 plays.  

Sadly the NFL isn't like MLB, with clear, somewhat logical rules on assigned "Wins and Losses" to QB's within some criteria for length of time played or the line.  Nor does the NFL have a "Save" for QB's who come in to play after the starter goes out/down and wins the game.  Maybe they should tbqh.  

Rodgers is overrated in his career, 100% for sure.  And has always been a teflon Don as he never got blame and always got all the credit.

However Stroud should not be dissing anyone on the Jets, we so utterly destroyed him last year he looked worse than Zach Wilson that game.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rodgers is overrated in his career, 100% for sure.  And has always been a teflon Don as he never got blame and always got all the credit.

However Stroud should not be dissing anyone on the Jets, we so utterly destroyed him last year he looked worse than Zach Wilson that game.

59,000+ yards, 475 TD's, 65% completion rate, 103 passer rating, multiple MVP's....totally overrated 😅

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Rodgers All-time Postseason Rankings

• Passer Rating: 6th
  • Yards: 4th
  • TD: 2nd

total choker

1-4 in NFC championship games. I’m not saying he isn’t great but to win super bowls, you have to do whatever needs to be done to steal wins. Rodgers has 2 multi score defeats and 2 1 score defeats. I understand it’s a team game, but the goats some how find a way. Rodgers, in the biggest games, has failed to find a way in 4 out of 5 attempts. The convo was about opportunities to get rings, not that Rodgers doesn’t have good stats. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, extmenace said:

1-4 in NFC championship games. I’m not saying he isn’t great but to win super bowls, you have to do whatever needs to be done to steal wins. Rodgers has 2 multi score defeats and 2 1 score defeats. I understand it’s a team game, but the goats some how find a way. Rodgers, in the biggest games, has failed to find a way in 4 out of 5 attempts. The convo was about opportunities to get rings, not that Rodgers doesn’t have good stats. 

I hope we can an opportunity to see how clutch he is in a conference championship game when he has a top defense.

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I give him credit for his great rookie year. But now he has to back it up, when expectations will be much higher and teams will know his game much more. Plus, he seems to be buying into his own hype. A big fall from last year's high would not be shocking at all.

The league now has a year of tape on his tendencies and a blueprint of how to get to him from our own win last year. 

I suspect the kid will have his head pulled out of the clouds this year and deposited directly up his arse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Well said, I agree.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I would argue they are over-rated here on JN, but that's fans being fans.  Emotional, as opposed to logical.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

A second year player calling out a HOF player is pretty ludicrous if you ask me. I'm still going with "he's an idiot who didn't word his comment properly."

I agree, CJ shouldn’t have called out Rodgers like that. Stupid…

but you know what is a qb stat? Playoff 4th quarter comeback wins. Here is a little list. Brady and Mahomes 1 and 2. The other is a former jet, and then there is Rodgers below him…

brady 9

mahomes 5

Mark Sanchez 2

Rodgers 1

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Have you ever met a Green  Bay fan? 

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

but you know what is a qb stat? Playoff 4th quarter comeback wins. Here is a little list. Brady and Mahomes 1 and 2. The other is a former jet, and then there is Rodgers below him…

brady 9

mahomes 5

Mark Sanchez 2

Rodgers 1

looks like it a silly stat then

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

brady 9

mahomes 5

Mark Sanchez 2

Rodgers 1

Congratulations, the Jets have advanced to the AFCCG and are headed to Kansas City for a chance to advance to the Superbowl. You have your choice of starting prime Mark Sanchez or 2024 Aaron Rodgers.

Who are you going with? Is this a difficult decision? Is your argument a little silly?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Congratulations, the Jets have advanced to the AFCCG and are headed to Kansas City for a chance to advance to the Superbowl. You have your choice of starting prime Mark Sanchez or 2024 Aaron Rodgers.

Who are you going with? Is this a difficult decision? Is your argument a little silly?

The point is going over your head I see.  Read what I wrote again. Look at the context and get back to me.

21 minutes ago, extmenace said:

but you know what is a qb stat? Playoff 4th quarter comeback wins.

WRONG

Any "win" is, by definition, a team stat, since football is a team game and not, say, singles Tennis or Golf. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The point is going over your head I see.  Read what I wrote again. Look at the context and get back to me.

This is quite ironic, considering that you are the one assigning wins (a team statistic) to individual players (QBs), and in doing so, removing all possible context from each and every team win that you cite. 

• Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I reject the idea that QB's get assigned W's or L's at face value whether regular season, playoff, come from behind, or however you want to filter them. It's something that a lot of people do but is just plain ridiculous.

QB is the most important position on the field, not the only position. Mark Sanchez was a below average QB who played on a team with a dominant defense, special teams, offensive line and running game yet you're on here quoting a stat that assigns him W's as if the other units don't exist. 

I want to be clear that I'm not saying this about you, I'm speaking to the evaluation method. Using Ws and Ls as a sole measurement to evaluate QB's is simple minded and frankly, stupid.

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

WRONG

Any "win" is, by definition, a team stat, since football is a team game and not, say, singles Tennis or Golf. 

Lol, you guys watch NFL football games right? What Mahomes has done in the playoffs makes him very clutch. He’s stolen a ton of victories. It’s a team game, but a clutch qb is the difference between winning and losing on the final drive. Rodgers has been good in the wins but when they are down in the 4th, he hasn’t been enough of a factor to bring the team back and win in the playoffs. Every talking head brings this point up. This isn’t some crazy hot take.

I mean, Aaron Rodgers is a much, much better QB than Matt Stafford and comparing him to Eli Manning is laugh out loud funny...

...and CJ Stroud got his sh*t pushed in by Michigan twice, so I'm not sure how "clutch" he is...

...but the idea that Aaron Rodgers post-season resume is actually kind of underwhelming isn't too far off. He's lost a home playoff game as the top seed three times and is 1-4 in the NFC Championship game.

21 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Lol, you guys watch NFL football games right? What Mahomes has done in the playoffs makes him very clutch. He’s stolen a ton of victories. It’s a team game, but a clutch qb is the difference between winning and losing on the final drive. Rodgers has been good in the wins but when they are down in the 4th, he hasn’t been enough of a factor to bring the team back and win in the playoffs. Every talking head brings this point up. This isn’t some crazy hot take.

Patrick Mahomes is ridiculous and maybe the best QB I've ever seen play. He does things on the field that don't even make sense. 

He is better than Aaron Rodgers. OK.

The Bucs beat the Chiefs in the Superbowl but Mahomes is the better QB. Too bad his clutchy clutch didn't work that day.