Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Then we are losing Huff and a 3rd round pick for nothing 

If that is the way it plays out then that is the way it plays out.  I still think he will have to get his a$$ into camp or risk losing and entire year with zero forward progress on either his new contract or even what remains of his current one.  Even a stubborn idiot needs to understand that.  He has to report.  Once he does get in he will have to play like a man whose hair is on fire or again he does not get his new deal.  This time because of poor play. The downside risk to the Jets is minimal I think.

His last remaining hope is that a contending team has their premiere pass rusher go down to injury and where that team also has the cap space and the willingness to pay him his basking price.  I think there is little to no chance of that but I guess it is a possibility.  In that case the Jets will need to get paid in draft capital in order to let that happen. 

As to Huff we were never going to pay him like an every down player but some team out there would risk that.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

If that is the way it plays out then that is the way it plays out.  I still think he will have to get his a$$ into camp or risk losing and entire year with zero forward progress on either his new contract or even what remains of his current one.  Even a stubborn idiot needs to understand that.  He has to report.  Once he does get in he will have to play like a man whose hair is on fire or again he does not get his new deal.  This time because of poor play. The downside risk to the Jets is minimal I think.

His last remaining hope is that a contending team has their premiere pass rusher go down to injury and where that team also has the cap space and the willingness to pay him his basking price.  I think there is little to no chance of that but I guess it is a possibility.  In that case the Jets will need to get paid in draft capital in order to let that happen. 

As to Huff we were never going to pay him like an every down player but some team out there would risk that.

All Reddick has to do is show up week 10 or whenever the deadline is and say his back hurts. 

• WTF? 1

26 minutes ago, Testaverde9819 said:

Someone will pay a premium pass rusher in his prime. For some reason the jets think they don't 

A year plus since his last play and a man who has demonstrated that he does not feel the obligation to live up to the contracts that he signs.  I highly doubt he gets that he gets the money he is seeking.  And if Bell is the poster child for a player who went this route and then got paid he is an even bigger poster child for a player for whom shelling out the money under such circumstances was a complete disaster.

The ONLY thing thar Reddick is establishing right now is that he is a player who feels that his own interests outweigh those of his team and teammates.  Hardly the kind of thing that persuades a new team to pay top dollar. Much more likely to place him into the "Avoid at all costs" or "Only if he is significantly discounted" categories. 

No, Reddick will not be getting paid what he is asking unless he has a full and explosive season here with the Jets.  That is his ONLY path to the big money and I would argue that it has already closed.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Huff didn't want to stay with the Jets, that was readily apparent, by every statement he ever made to the press, when he was asked about the possibility of re-signing with the team; "I don't give no hometown discounts, we'll see how it plays out".....yadda, yadda, yadda....

Never once did Huff give the slightest indication, or make a single statement that showed, he was actually interested in re-signing with the Jets and that's a fact, although I know there will always be those few here that will rush to his defense, but the bottom line is Huff had ZERO intentions on staying here. 

People keep bringing up Reddick's age, which I don't think is a factor here; There's a pretty long list of distinguished pass-rushers that have played well & been productive well into their 30's (I posted an article about on this subject about 40 pages ago, in this very thread) and as of the end of last season, Reddick has not showed signs of slowing down.

I've said it more than once & I'll say it again, Reddick's problem and the biggest reason why he'll never get the monster contract he's been looking for, is his sh!tty attititude.

He is on his 4th team in 7 seasons & now has an established pattern, of "me-first" behavior - the Cardinals (who drafted Reddick 13th overall in 2017) declined Reddick's 5th year option in 2020 - coincidence? He goes on to play one year for Carolina with Matt Rhule (who was his college coach at Temple) and then Carolina let him move on - again, coincidence? Then Reddick asked for a trade after playing 2 years on the 3 year deal he signed with the Eagles, because he wasn't getting the contract extension he wanted, now he asked for trade here - just 4 months after we traded for him, because he's not getting the contract extension he wants - which is most likely because of his outright refusal, to report to the team that traded for him.

You need look no further than Matt Judon and how he's handling his situation in Atlanta (a nearly identical situation, with a player of comparable production to Reddick's).

Judon isn't holding out after he was traded for and he's set to make far less on the last year of his Pats deal, then Reddick is. The difference is Judon know's (and acknowledges) that he's done nothing for the Falcons and isn't content just resting on his past accomplishments. 

Instead of saying "Hey look what I've done, pay me NOW, even though I haven't done crap for your team yet" like Reddick is, Judon is giving some consideration & respect to the team he's now playing for & he wants to show the Falcons, what he's made of and that he's willing to EARN what he'll be asking the Falcons to give him, & not just demanding it, based on what he's done in the past with other teams.

I guarantee you, barring injury, Judon will get his big contract next off-season, because he's handling his situation correctly, while Reddick will be shipped off to another team, yet again.

No team with an ounce of common sense, is going to go out of their way to accommodate Reddick & hand him a big contract, when he'll almost certainly stage ANOTHER holdout in 2 years, as other pass-rushers sign new deals that will continue to eclipse his.

With what Reddick has pulled here, just 4 months removed from being traded by Philly, he's made it abundantly clear that he feels he is above every team and has shown that he doesn't even have a vague grasp, of the word team.

He has a toxic personaility, that any GM & Owner worth their salt, would want nothing to do with, which is exactly why Reddick keeps getting shuffled around the league, like the town drunk, that nobody wants on their block.

Where are you getting he's a bad egg/toxic teammate from?  This seems like disgruntled Jets fan making assumptions because there is nothing about Reddick other then this situation that would lend to your agenda here.  Everything you hear and read about him over the years, says just the opposite.  Jalen Hurts regularly complimented his play and his leadership.  The Eagles loved him.  Nolan Smith said this after meeting Bryce Huff in camp;

"Bryce is an amazing guy, so is Haason," Smith said. "I learned so much from Haason, so if you trying to get me to say something bad about (No.) 7, I love 7 to death cause he gave his all to me. He taught me things from here that I'll take with me for the rest of my life."

Does that sound like a bad teammate to you? 

And he hasnt bee shipped around the league because he's a toxic teammate, that's not true at all.  He was drafted by the Cardinals who immediately played him out of position and he like a good teammate, he obliged.  They opted to use him as an off ball LB, vs. an edge rusher.  They played him in that role for 3 years, effectively ruining his career and marketability.  Because of this blatant negligence, the Cards didnt exercise his 5th year option. Sucks for them because in comes Vance Joseph and says, wow, you're ruining this guy and moved him back to his natural position and he exploded.  However, it was only one season and teams werent lining up to sign him having some doubt but his old college coach, Matt Rhule stepped and signed him to a 1 year prove it deal...and, he proved it.  However, the Panthers being the terrible organization they are, gave him a low ball offer as they pursued other awful free agents, so he signed a 3 year deal w/ the Eagles who offered more money.

The fact of the matter is, he 100% out played his contract.  The Eagles knew it and knew he'd want more money and they traded him.  They didnt trade him because of his attitude.  They traded him because he's in the TJ Watt/Myles Garrett conversation (even after getting job'd for 3 years) and makes half the money.

That's the issue.  He's not a bad human because he's hurting your Jets centric feelings.  He wants to get paid for his worth and he didnt ask to be traded.  By all reports he was completely caught off guard.  Now, he's going about this situation like an idiot and getting terrible advice but this picture you've painted, is patently false. 

And I laugh at the idea he's not going to be wanted anymore because of this hold out.  Every team wants an elite pass rusher and he's top 3 in the league and he'll prove he it again when here shows up for week 1.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

<snip>

And I laugh at the idea he's not going to be wanted anymore because of this hold out.  Every team wants an elite pass rusher and he's top 3 in the league and he'll prove he it again when he shows up for week 1.

This is the only path to big money for him.  Both sides get what they want.  Reddick a chance to audition for his next big contract (somewhere else) and the Jets because they are the beneficiary of that audition.

But that window is small and already starting to close.  To the point where no matter how well he plays he will have already impacted the team and coincidentally his market value as a result.  Maybe not this week but pretty soon.

56 minutes ago, EM31 said:

This is the only path to big money for him.  Both sides get what they want.  Reddick a chance to audition for his next big contract (somewhere else) and the Jets because they are the beneficiary of that audition.

But that window is small and already starting to close.  To the point where no matter how well he plays he will have already impacted the team and coincidentally his market value as a result.  Maybe not this week but pretty soon.

That small window will start getting much smaller by Friday AUG 30th,

On 8/22/2024 at 5:14 PM, CTJetsFan said:

Here's why BH - my fear is he doesn't want to play here and he's gonna show up for week 1, get his contract guaranteed, and then get "injured" and try to dog it the rest of the season.  We're then on the hook for the 14 million this season and get squat for it.

Just cut our losses. Out of spite, JD should hold onto him the day before our first game. No one is signing him for anywhere near 14 million at that point AND since we play Monday night, whatever he signs for this year won't be guaranteed because he wouldn't be on any other teams roster week 1.

Now that's leverage. I would threaten him with that (if JD hasn't already) and see if he blinks.

He won't dog it.  He's playing for his next contract.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Where are you getting he's a bad egg/toxic teammate from?  This seems like disgruntled Jets fan making assumptions because there is nothing about Reddick other then this situation that would lend to your agenda here.  Everything you hear and read about him over the years, says just the opposite.  Jalen Hurts regularly complimented his play and his leadership.  The Eagles loved him.  Nolan Smith said this after meeting Bryce Huff in camp;

"Bryce is an amazing guy, so is Haason," Smith said. "I learned so much from Haason, so if you trying to get me to say something bad about (No.) 7, I love 7 to death cause he gave his all to me. He taught me things from here that I'll take with me for the rest of my life."

Does that sound like a bad teammate to you? 

And he hasnt bee shipped around the league because he's a toxic teammate, that's not true at all.  He was drafted by the Cardinals who immediately played him out of position and he like a good teammate, he obliged.  They opted to use him as an off ball LB, vs. an edge rusher.  They played him in that role for 3 years, effectively ruining his career and marketability.  Because of this blatant negligence, the Cards didnt exercise his 5th year option. Sucks for them because in comes Vance Joseph and says, wow, you're ruining this guy and moved him back to his natural position and he exploded.  However, it was only one season and teams werent lining up to sign him having some doubt but his old college coach, Matt Rhule stepped and signed him to a 1 year prove it deal...and, he proved it.  However, the Panthers being the terrible organization they are, gave him a low ball offer as they pursued other awful free agents, so he signed a 3 year deal w/ the Eagles who offered more money.

The fact of the matter is, he 100% out played his contract.  The Eagles knew it and knew he'd want more money and they traded him.  They didnt trade him because of his attitude.  They traded him because he's in the TJ Watt/Myles Garrett conversation (even after getting job'd for 3 years) and makes half the money.

That's the issue.  He's not a bad human because he's hurting your Jets centric feelings.  He wants to get paid for his worth and he didnt ask to be traded.  By all reports he was completely caught off guard.  Now, he's going about this situation like an idiot and getting terrible advice but this picture you've painted, is patently false. 

And I laugh at the idea he's not going to be wanted anymore because of this hold out.  Every team wants an elite pass rusher and he's top 3 in the league and he'll prove he it again when here shows up for week 1.

He has a toxic mentality towards the team, end of story.  Even if he’s a great teammate - that doesn’t matter.  You demand a trade twice because you’re not getting a raise on the contract you agreed to, you don’t give two sh!ts about the team.  You don’t completely lie to faces of reporters and new teammates.

I’m sure most Jets players thought Elijah Moore was a great teammate.  It doesn’t take much, just be cool on the practice field.  But when it comes to really helping the team as a whole and not blackmailing them, guys like Reddick show that they are not great teammates because they’d rather flip the coaches, players, FO the double bird for a few extra million - and in this case to two teams that allegedly have SB aspirations.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Darnold&#x27;s Forehead said:

They played him in that role for 3 years, effectively ruining his career and marketability.  Because of this blatant negligence, the Cards didnt exercise his 5th year option. Sucks for them because in comes Vance Joseph and says, wow, you're ruining this guy and moved him back to his natural position and he exploded.  However, it was only one season and teams werent lining up to sign him having some doubt but his old college coach, Matt Rhule stepped and signed him to a 1 year prove it deal...and, he proved it.  However, the Panthers being the terrible organization they are, gave him a low ball offer as they pursued other awful free agents, so he signed a 3 year deal w/ the Eagles who offered more money.

This feels like an awful lot of excuse making.  it's the old - It's everyone's fault but my own.

The guy has bounced around the league in his 7 seasons and is currently holding out on his 4th team in his 8th season and will almost certainly be on his 5th team in his 9th season.  He surely has something to do with that.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Darnold&#x27;s Forehead said:

He has a toxic mentality towards the team, end of story.  Even if he’s a great teammate - that doesn’t matter.  You demand a trade twice because you’re not getting a raise on the contract you agreed to, you don’t give two sh!ts about the team.  You don’t completely lie to faces of reporters and new teammates.

I’m sure most Jets players thought Elijah Moore was a great teammate.  It doesn’t take much, just be cool on the practice field.  But when it comes to really helping the team as a whole and not blackmailing them, guys like Reddick show that they are not great teammates because they’d rather flip the coaches, players, FO the double bird for a few extra million - and in this case to two teams that allegedly have SB aspirations.

Nope.  Not end of story.  He didnt request a trade from the Eagles, the trade caught him by surprise.

Many players hold out, it's quite literally their only option when they deserve a new contract.  In this scenario it doesnt benefit Reddick, so I dont really understand the advice he's getting but this is also a unique situation.  Are some players that hold out bad teammates?  Sure.  Are some players who dont hold out bad teammates?  Absolutely.  Ultimately, these guys understand the business side of it, they understand teams can do whatever they want w/ them better than anyone and they dont hold it against their teammates, especially in this situation, he's been in the building...what...once?  He's not really even a teammate, he's never put on a jersey or practiced w/ the team.  

Coaches lie to the media all the time.  GM's lie to the media all the time.  While yeah, it's uncool of Reddick to say things and do something different, he's far from the first person in the NFL to do such horrible thing.  When he arrives and I'm sure he will, it will be peaches and cream when he starts doing his thing and everyone will be like, ah, man, this guy is neat! 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, EM31 said:

It’s great you’re saying “it is what it is” but that doesn’t change reality 

6 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

Someone will pay a premium pass rusher in his prime. For some reason the jets think they don't 

He’s not getting the huge deal he wants if he doesn’t show up and perform lol

2 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Nope.  Not end of story.  He didnt request a trade from the Eagles, the trade caught him by surprise.

Many players hold out, it's quite literally their only option when they deserve a new contract.  In this scenario it doesnt benefit Reddick, so I dont really understand the advice he's getting but this is also a unique situation.  Are some players that hold out bad teammates?  Sure.  Are some players who dont hold out bad teammates?  Absolutely.  Ultimately, these guys understand the business side of it, they understand teams can do whatever they want w/ them better than anyone and they dont hold it against their teammates, especially in this situation, he's been in the building...what...once?  He's not really even a teammate, he's never put on a jersey or practiced w/ the team.  

Coaches lie to the media all the time.  GM's lie to the media all the time.  While yeah, it's uncool of Reddick to say things and do something different, he's far from the first person in the NFL to do such horrible thing.  When he arrives and I'm sure he will, it will be peaches and cream when he starts doing his thing and everyone will be like, ah, man, this guy is neat! 

How nice he is to players has nothing to do with anything.  He is not there helping.  That is bad behavior no matter which way you cut it.  Just because you condone such behavior because others do it doesn’t change that fact.

12 minutes ago, Darnold&#x27;s Forehead said:

How nice he is to players has nothing to do with anything.  He is not there helping.  That is bad behavior no matter which way you cut it.  Just because you condone such behavior because others do it doesn’t change that fact.

So any player that holds out is a bad teammate and it doesnt matter if they are there and are toxic in the lockerroom treating everyone like sh*t, as long as they are there! 

4 hours ago, Darnold&#x27;s Forehead said:

He has a toxic mentality towards the team

Go tell your boss that you’re ok working until January for 60% of your current pay rate to demonstrate your lack of toxicity to the team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

So any player that holds out is a bad teammate and it doesnt matter if they are there and are toxic in the lockerroom treating everyone like sh*t, as long as they are there! 
We all know Reddick is who he is ... Not necessarily a bad malcontent... Misguided, Misunderstood, Misaligned and Misrepresented maybe ... I just think he is Misplaying his hand. Hope this gets resolved soon so he is is no longer the MiSsing piece to this season ... I don't believe he's a misanthrope. This contract situation misbecomes the spectacular possibilities this season might have in store for us.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

We all know Reddick is who he is ... Not necessarily a bad malcontent... Misguided, Misunderstood, Misaligned and Misrepresented maybe ... I just think he is Misplaying his hand. Hope this gets resolved soon so he is is no longer the MiSsing piece to this season ... I don't believe he's a misanthrope. This contract situation misbecomes the spectacular possibilities this season might have in store for us.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

jackie GIF

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Testaverde9819 said:

They did for Bell....

While this is true, it came from a desperate/bad team with a terrible coach, and is far from anything someone should be striving for.  Bell talks about his regret to this day over the whole situation.

2 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s great you’re saying “it is what it is” but that doesn’t change reality 

A 3rd round is the same compensation you get when you lose a good player to free agency.  In other words not all that much.

He risks losing the market because he is perceived badly.  He risks losing a prime year of his playing life.  While both sides have risks here the player is risking way more.  He is asking teams to pay ultra-premium prices while not honoring his current deal and potentially asking them to look back more than a year for the most recent film on him.

But hey, let's chop away a large percentage of potential buyers while at the same time trying to claim that it does not impact the market.

Also if there was any kind of a buying interest for his services the Eagles would have found it when they were initially  shopping him.  The market is thin to nonexistent and if it is still thin then it is getting thinner by the day.

A 3rd round is the same compensation you get when you lose a good player to free agency.  In other words not all that much.
He risks losing the market because he is perceived badly.  He risks losing a prime year of his playing life.  While both sides have risks here the player is risking way more.  He is asking teams to pay ultra-premium prices while not honoring his current deal and potentially asking them to look back more than a year for the most recent film on him.
But hey, let's chop away a large percentage of potential buyers while at the same time trying to claim that it does not impact the market.
Also if there was any kind of a buying interest for his services the Eagles would have found it when they were initially  shopping him.  The market is thin to nonexistent and if it is still thin then it is getting thinner by the day.

The Jets are not guaranteed to get a 3rd round pick for Reddick.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app