July 30th camp tweets. Pads and fans!

1 minute ago, slats said:

Hand size is absolutely a factor when it comes to catching the football, especially in the cold and wet NE. On 11 targets in the passing game, he had two drops (and two other misses). He returned two KOs last year with the longer one being all of 19 yards. He fumbled once on 22 carries in the regular season, and also fumbled in the preseason. His hands are an issue, whether you’d like to dismiss their size or not. 

We were, or at least I was, talking about returning kicks as his way of making the roster.  Not his pass catching ability or his ball security.  Simply, returning kicks.  Not even punts for that matter.  Just kick offs because that might be his way on the roster w/ the rule changes. 

I've never heard anyone criticize or address a kick returners hand size as a concern.  This is a first and the league is riddled w/ smaller stature players finding their way onto rosters, returning kicks.  I assume, they too, had small hands.  The Jets primary kick returner last year, has smaller hands then Izzy. 

So, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say, you're wrong, hand size isnt an issue as it relates to catching a kick off.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

He’s a head coach next year. No doubt in my mind 

He has never been interviewed for an NFL HC position before ... maybe next year "if" the Jets are successful he may get his 1st but I still don't see him as a HC next year ... maybe in 2 or 3 ... All depends on how good the Jets are.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

We were, or at least I was, talking about returning kicks as his way of making the roster.  Not his pass catching ability or his ball security.  Simply, returning kicks.  Not even punts for that matter.  Just kick offs because that might be his way on the roster w/ the rule changes. 

I've never heard anyone criticize or address a kick returners hand size as a concern.  This is a first and the league is riddled w/ smaller stature players finding their way onto rosters, returning kicks.  I assume, they too, had small hands.  The Jets primary kick returner last year, has smaller hands then Izzy. 

So, yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say, you're wrong, hand size isnt an issue as it relates to catching a kick off.

They measure hands for a reason. His are teeny-tiny, well below average *and* he also seems to have trouble catching and/or holding onto the football. If you choose not to see any correlation, that’s up to you. Personally, I think it’s apparent. 

For comparison’s sake, Izzy has 8.5” hands while the diminutive Tarik Cohen’s measure 10.25”. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Looks like Stigs got his arm in there from my vantage point.

his arm was a little late & swiped air ... 84 should have had it but mediocre receivers drop those when coverage is tight. 

18 minutes ago, slats said:

They measure hands for a reason. His are teeny-tiny, well below average *and* he also seems to have trouble catching and/or holding onto the football. If you choose not to see any correlation, that’s up to you. Personally, I think it’s apparent. 

For comparison’s sake, Izzy has 8.5” hands while the diminutive Tarik Cohen’s measure 10.25”. 

Again, I'm talking about one specific requirement, catching a kickoff.  That particular catch, which is often somewhat basketed and you have nobody within 30 yards of you and a wall of protection in front of you, is where I dont think having small hands matters.  Everything else, sure, but that's not my argument. 

• Every year the offense gets beat up by the defense in pre-season.  The offense takes a longer time to gel, and in the case of the Jets, they have had a very good defense for several years now.   The fact that the offense is not lighting it up in pre-season is really irrelevant.  
  • I believe that this is Saleh's last contract year.   He can't be franchise tagged.  If Saleh is head coach of the NYJ in 2025, it is because Woody extended him AND Saleh agreed.  That would likely happen with a Douglas extension as well.   I don't think that happens cheap for Woody.  

21 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Again, I'm talking about one specific requirement, catching a kickoff.  That particular catch, which is often somewhat basketed and you have nobody within 30 yards of you and a wall of protection in front of you, is where I dont think having small hands matters.  Everything else, sure, but that's not my argument. 

Cool. He has ball security issues. No one wants a player with ball security issues fielding live kicks inside their 20 yard line. Oh, the new KOR rules? The covering team will be standing 10-15 yards from the returner, able to run as soon as the ball bounces off or thru that would be returner’s miniature hands. Doesn’t matter anyway, he’s probably not making the team. 

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

I think the league is going to be quite surprised when most coaches just elect to kick it out of the endzone and "give up" the extra five yards.

I think you're right. Why screw around? Let them start at the 30.

Won't be penalizing until touchbacks are taken out to the 40.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He's got all of preseason to fix it so it's nothing to freak out about. But it is obviously an issue that needs to be fixed. I don't know why that's so touchy for some of you to hear.

Was this an issue last year? I presume he can get back to the way he was snapping last year. But I agree.

if this is still an issue in mid to late August, we have a problem 

21 minutes ago, slats said:

Cool. He has ball security issues. No one wants a player with ball security issues fielding live kicks inside their 20 yard line. Oh, the new KOR rules? The covering team will be standing 10-15 yards from the returner, able to run as soon as the ball bounces off or thru that would be returner’s miniature hands. Doesn’t matter anyway, he’s probably not making the team. 

Right on.  Wonder if they let, even tinnier hands Gipson, who also has ball security issues, return kicks again or if they move to someone else into that role.  Going to be exciting to find out!  Would be so weird if we find out they're working Izzy into the mix on KO's though, wouldnt it????

29 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Right on.  Wonder if they let, even tinnier hands Gipson, who also has ball security issues, return kicks again or if they move to someone else into that role.  Going to be exciting to find out!  Would be so weird if we find out they're working Izzy into the mix on KO's though, wouldnt it????

Actually, I kinda think they’re phasing Gipson out, too, but we’ll see. 

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

The thing that concerns me about this argument is that he didnt just switch to center, hes been playing it all through college and last year which makes this seem like more of the yips, then some sort of fundamental problem with his technique or tempo on the ball.  Technique can be fixed but the yips is a really scary thing and could really affect a young player.  Lets hope its something fixable.

Did Tippman's college team use a lot of shotgun snaps?  They may not have.  I don't remember, but this may be part fo the problem.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It's like everyone seems to forget that the knocks on Tippman coming out were his height and the fact that he had little to no experience working in Shotgun....

Thanks, I didn't know, but wondered if he had had much experience in college snapping in the shotgun formation.  The fact that he didn't explains why he's having some issues.  So, it's not the "yips" as some posters are fearing, but just lack of experience/practice doing it.

12 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Thanks, I didn't know, but wondered if he had had much experience in college snapping in the shotgun formation.  The fact that he didn't explains why he's having some issues.  So, it's not the "yips" as some posters are fearing, but just lack of experience/practice doing it.

Are you sure because cimini called him Yippman and that made my penis shrink.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Ball security (which hand size is a factor in) is absolutely relevant for a kick returner. So you’re just mistaken here — it’s a totally relevant topic regarding Izzy and his potential to make the roster as a kick returner, running back, or any skill position player for that matter.

10 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Ball security (which hand size is a factor in) is absolutely relevant for a kick returner. So you’re just mistaken here — it’s a totally relevant topic regarding Izzy and his potential to make the roster as a kick returner, running back, or any skill position player for that matter.

Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gonna be hearing the word “continuity” a lot this season in reference to this OL, I think. I wonder if Rodgers gets Bakhtiari in here on the cheap if he’s still getting chased around next week.

Stirring Cbs GIF by Big Brother

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

In that last one, it looked a bit more heat but they shook hands and laughed it off.  In this one, you can see Rodgers smiling and laughing, then G.Wil laughs and then Breece comes up, taps G.Wil and starts tapping his chest.

Here's what my insanely accurate senses are telling me; Garret Wilson wants to win, bad.  Possibly more than any other player on the team.  You could see how the losing was impacting him last year and he's getting frustrated in camp when people are not doing their jobs correctly and/or maybe even Rodgers not getting him the ball or something.  My assumption, is he didnt have anyone to bring this too the past few years who have cared.  Now, he's got Rodgers to get in people's asses and demand better and team will respond.  So he's coming to him w/ his gripes and Rodgers is either talking him down/explaining a decision or asking him, what do you want me to do?

you're welcome when this is confirmed.

I was going to post something similar.  

Alot of young guys,  someone probably ****ed up and he is venting to Rodgers.

You went the @Sperm Edwards route.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Gonna be hearing the word “continuity” a lot this season in reference to this OL, I think. I wonder if Rodgers gets Bakhtiari in here on the cheap if he’s still getting chased around next week.

Because bringing in ANOTHER new face would improve continuity? huh?

they need time. It’s TRAINING camp, after all. We probably won’t see the best this OL has to offer (whatever that may be) until October-November, like most of the league. 

• Upvote 2