Be ready for a new regime in 2025

47 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Who cares. The league history is filled with busts that  "showed flashes"

Exactly. Everyone paid $795,000/yr (league minimum) or more to play a game has it in them to flash. Consistency is what separates the busts from the rest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

A rookie can make mistakes and still do enough to show flashes of greatness.  That's what Becton did and that's why DJ compared him to a HoF tackle.

There are a lot of similarities between me and Tom Brady. We are both carbon-based lifeforms with two arms and legs and can be arrogant at times. I can list a million more.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

First it didn't happen.

Now it happened, but "who cares".

LOL

54 minutes ago, jgb said:

There are a lot of similarities between me and Tom Brady. We are both carbon-based lifeforms with two arms and legs and can be arrogant at times. I can list a million more.

Need to hear DJ's take before I put you in Canton with Brady.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Biggs said:

Walter Jones played college ball at 265 until he bulked up to play tackle at 290.   He was 6'5" with long arms.  He got a lot bigger over the years.  He didn't come into the NFL overweight or show up year 2 completely out of shape.  

Becton was an absolute blown pick.  The chalk pick was on the board in Whirfs.  Whiff.

As I said  a few weeks ago; Joe D. needs to start picking guys two or three years after they declare because that's when everyone knows who the right pick is.

In case anyone wanted a look at some very ordinary work from a rookie tackle.

Run of the mill stuff.  Nothing special.  I remember Max Mitchell doing a lot of this last season.

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

First it didn't happen.

Now it happened, but "who cares".

LOL

Huh? You can be a bad player and show flashes.

Showing flashes is meaningless cope that every fan holds onto when a player they drafted doesn't look good.

Becton did not have a good rookie season. That's why you have to ignore stats and cling to individuals plays and flashes.

• WTF? 1

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

In case anyone wanted a look at some very ordinary work from a rookie tackle.

Run of the mill stuff.  Nothing special.  I remember Max Mitchell doing a lot of this last season.

Now show the plays where he was top 10 in penalties and top 5 for sacks given up among lineman.

You can make a highlight package of Zack Wilson. That doesn't make them good.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Exactly. Everyone paid $795,000/yr (league minimum) or more to play a game has it in them to flash. Consistency is what separates the busts from the rest.

I used the term flash to avoid apocalyptic meltdowns if I'd said he was damn good more often than not.

And when he did "flash", it wasn't like he threw a good block or showed good footwork.  He took other grown men and treated them like pop warner kids.

Again, he's not drawing comparisons to a HoF tackle if he's just kind of okay from time to time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Now show the plays where he was top 10 in penalties and top 5 for sacks given up among lineman.

You can make a highlight package of Zack Wilson. That doesn't make them good.

You can't make a highlight package of Zach Wilson doing things at a level that no other QB in the NFL is capable of doing.  That's what Becton did.

Pretend all you like that Becton wasn't tossing guys out of the club in his first NFL start and shutting down Nick Bosa as a rookie but some of us know it happened.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Seems like those who care are those claiming he showed nothing and it’s all bs to claim he did.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

I used the term flash to avoid apocalyptic meltdowns if I'd said he was damn good more often than not.

And when he did "flash", it wasn't like he threw a good block or showed good footwork.  He took other grown men and treated them like pop warner kids.

Again, he's not drawing comparisons to a HoF tackle if he's just kind of okay from time to time.

Fair enough but I couldn’t let the opportunity to take a gratuitous jab at Zach go to waste 

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

You can't make a highlight package of Zach Wilson doing things at a level that no other QB in the NFL is capable of doing. 

To be fair I’ve never seen another NFL QB fall down while trotting onto the field between plays.

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2024 at 1:41 PM, JKlecko said:

I don't think that's the only reason that JD is still here.  He's done a lot more good than bad.  The Becton and Z. Wilson picks hurt a lot, but it is understandable why he took both.  It's not like they were huge reaches and misses.  If he traded for Reddick without Reddick promising to be here, then that's definitely a big black mark against him, but I've seen nothing to make me think that is the case.  I think that Reddick either lied or changed his mind (perhaps at his agent's insistance).

This is a stacked roster.  The Jets haven't had talent like this very many times in their history - the late '60s when they won SB III in '69, the mid '80s with Klecko, Gastineau, McNeil, Walker, Toon et al, and maybe 2008-2009.  JD shouldn't go anywhere.

Agree

We’ll never know but if Becton’s knee didn’t get f’d up.  Nevermind the armchair GMs that say he should have taken Wirfs. At draft time Wirfs was primarily being viewed as a RT. Becton LT. And the Jets needed a LT. I know now here come all the “you take the BPA.” Which all GMs (current & Ex) state each teams grades to some extent have a built in team need. And again I know I’ll get responses to this in a vacuum.  

The QB position is what has held this team back from the playoffs in ‘22 (he missed on ZW-as have other GMs drafting QBs high recently) & ‘23 (AR four plays). 

19 hours ago, doitny said:

i can understand cleaning house on the HC and GM if we dont win but the roster is pretty good. i wouldnt want to see that house cleaned. so it doesnt make sense not to give out big contracts.

but i have a theory on that. its not because of a short lease that you dont see that, its that we have big contracts coming up. GW is going to cost a ton. WRs are making crazy money now. Hall and Sause wont be cheap either. and if JJ takes another step forward thats another big deal. 

i really like DJ and he is only 27. we should resign him. we have to keep Quincy Williams who is also 27 and in the 2nd year of a 3 year deal. guy is one of the best LBers in the game. and if AVT can stay healthy he is getting a raise too.

imagine not being able to sign 2 or 3 of the guys i mentioned because we gave out some big long term deals just to try to win one SB. its not worth it to lose some of these guys.

Right, when I said clean house, I didn’t mean tear apart the roster. I meant front office and coaching staff. The young talent here would make this a really desirable job, but those new contract negotiations and roster decisions would be given to the next guy. The more options, the more desirable this job would become. Extending a guy like Reddick or giving 2-3 year deals to guys like smith and Williams would make it harder to have roster flexibility next year. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Agree

We’ll never know but if Becton’s knee didn’t get f’d up.  Nevermind the armchair GMs that say he should have taken Wirfs. At draft time Wirfs was primarily being viewed as a RT. Becton LT. And the Jets needed a LT. I know now here come all the “you take the BPA.” Which all GMs (current & Ex) state each teams grades to some extent have a built in team need. And again I know I’ll get responses to this in a vacuum.  

The QB position is what has held this team back from the playoffs in ‘22 (he missed on ZW-as have other GMs drafting QBs high recently) & ‘23 (AR four plays). 

I agree on Becton.  Becton looked like he had HOF potential coming out of Louisville. He had great movement, was dominant, and had no injury history.  When Wirfs finally did switch to LT after 2-3 seasons, he had to see a sports psychologist in order to be able to do it. He admitted as much and said that he had been terrified of playing LT.  Think of how Jets fans would have reacted to that.  Even if he stayed healthy for the Jets and played as well as he has, that still wouldn't have protected the Jets' QBs' blind side.  That was the crucial need. Eff BPA. It should be a guide, not a hard and fast rule. Need should definitely be strongly considered.  That doesn't mean that the GM should reach a round or more for a player at a position of need, but it does mean that the GM has to address those weak spots, especially when they are among the most important positions.  Consider when Mac was GM every year for 3-4 years in a row, the BPA was a DL, so that's what he took.  Meanwhile, he ignored, QB, WR, RB, and the OL.  We had a ton of great DTs, but had sh*t at key positions.  That's what BPA-focused drafting and ignoring needs gets you.

• Upvote 1

On 8/15/2024 at 11:13 AM, AFJF said:

This is simply recency bias.

Vernon Gholston didn't register a single NFL sack in his career.  

For Wilson to be on par with him, he would have had to have never thrown a touchdown pass.

Wilson had days that gave you hope.

Gholston only gave you days that you hoped he'd get cut.

These... these are not even remotely comparable things, and leaves the context of the selections completely out of the equation. 

Gholston was picked at 6 in a notoriously weak 2008 draft.. who should have been the pick? Flacco at 6? Sure, in hindsight. But Gholston was coming off a 19-sack season at OSU and was a consensus top pick. And literally the 2 years after drafting Vern, the Jets were in the next 2 AFCCG's. His suckage had almost ZERO impact on the team and he didn't break the roster.

Zach should have been a third round pick and drafting him at 2 and sticking with him destroyed 3 years of Jets Football. He might not even make Denver as #3 QB. His career will make Darnold's "Journeyman/Fringe Starter" career look brilliantly successful in comparison.

It's not even close.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JKlecko said:

I agree on Becton.  Becton looked like he had HOF potential coming out of Louisville. He had great movement, was dominant, and had no injury history.  When Wirfs finally did switch to LT after 2-3 seasons, he had to see a sports psychologist in order to be able to do it. He admitted as much and said that he had been terrified of playing LT.  Think of how Jets fans would have reacted to that.  Even if he stayed healthy for the Jets and played as well as he has, that still wouldn't have protected the Jets' QBs' blind side.  That was the crucial need. Eff BPA. It should be a guide, not a hard and fast rule. Need should definitely be strongly considered.  That doesn't mean that the GM should reach a round or more for a player at a position of need, but it does mean that the GM has to address those weak spots, especially when they are among the most important positions.  Consider when Mac was GM every year for 3-4 years in a row, the BPA was a DL, so that's what he took.  Meanwhile, he ignored, QB, WR, RB, and the OL.  We had a ton of great DTs, but had sh*t at key positions.  That's what BPA-focused drafting and ignoring needs gets you.

The Jets need the name of that psychologist. Wirfs made the Pro Bowl as an LT last season.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

You can't make a highlight package of Zach Wilson doing things at a level that no other QB in the NFL is capable of doing.  That's what Becton did.

Pretend all you like that Becton wasn't tossing guys out of the club in his first NFL start and shutting down Nick Bosa as a rookie but some of us know it happened.

It’s amazing how Becton is considered worse than Everett McIver but Zach is on his way to immortality because he didn’t self-destruct facing 3rd stringers

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s amazing how Becton is considered worse than Everett McIver but Zach is on his way to immortality because he didn’t self-destruct facing 3rd stringers

For whatever reason, some people have a really hard time letting hope for QBs go. Zach was last in the league in basically all important statistics for 3 consecutive years — anyone who says they don’t have enough evidence to write him off simply doesn’t want to.

• Upvote 1