Jets Cuts To 53 (official thread )

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

No Izzy, how many carries does he get at RB4? - see if we can get a 7th for him and keep the DL/De prospects.

If Hall or Allen got injured, he could get a lot of carries.  He has looked a LOT better than Davis running the ball in preseason.  IMO a 7th isn't enough to justify not keeping him.  That 7th wouldn't do them much good if Hall or Allen went down with an extended injury.  I have 11 DL on the roster as it is.  They probably won't keep that many, and certainly won't keep 12.  The only other DLs that I didn't keep were Hector and Watt, and imo neither Hector, nor Watts deserve a spot on the roster.  Neither did nearly enough in TC or preseason.  Abanikanda obviously worked his ass off and he looks a lot better both as a runner and receiver.  I believe that he was playing STs Saturday night as well.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TinFoil said:

I disagree with the previous post that Izzy has been better than Isiah Davis in training camp and the preseason.
I’m much more impressed by Davis.

in my humble opinion.

I thought he showed great hands a couple times. Pass pro is the most important thing for young RBs and Saleh complimented Davis and Allen early in camp about how quickly they picked it up.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, TinFoil said:

I disagree with the previous post that Izzy has been better than Isiah Davis in training camp and the preseason.

in my humble opinion.

Albanikanda doesn’t have great vision. I’d say he’s 50/50 to make the roster. Could probably PS him. I think the Jets wanted short yardage guys bc they haven’t been very good in those situations and Rodgers won’t be doing any sneaks.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, TinFoil said:

in my humble opinion.

In terms of receiving and blocking, I agree. I said that Abanikanda has been better as a RB and he has.  Davis has only average 2.7 ypc (8 carries for 22 yards), and Abanikanda is at 6.1 ypc (21 carries for 129 yards) and a TD.

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

In terms of receiving and blocking, I agree. I said that Abanikanda has been better as a RB and he has.  Davis has only average 2.7 ypc (8 carries for 22 yards), and Abanikanda is at 6.1 ypc (21 carries for 129 yards) and a TD.

Copy that.

21 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’ll actually be pretty damn livid if Clemons makes it over guys like Taylor, Takk and even McGregor.

This goofy bitch is still living off of his “Negan” TC appearance two years ago and since then he’s gotten punked in just about every “altercation” he’s found himself in. Including getting clowned by bitch t!ts Dion Dawson. He’s much more likely to get hit with an unsportsmanlike conduct flag than make a legit splash play.

He’s also about 3 years older than I thought he was (27).

You won't be the only one who is livid if Clemons makes it an one of Taylor, McGregor and McKinley don't make it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JKlecko said:

If Hall or Allen got injured, he could get a lot of carries.  He has looked a LOT better than Davis running the ball in preseason.  IMO a 7th isn't enough to justify not keeping him.  That 7th wouldn't do them much good if Hall or Allen went down with an extended injury.  I have 11 DL on the roster as it is.  They probably won't keep that many, and certainly won't keep 12.  The only other DLs that I didn't keep were Hector and Watt, and imo neither Hector, nor Watts deserve a spot on the roster.  Neither did nearly enough in TC or preseason.  Abanikanda obviously worked his ass off and he looks a lot better both as a runner and receiver.  I believe that he was playing STs Saturday night as well.

When you have maybe 2 roster spots for 5 or 6 guys you’d like to keep, and who belong on an NFL roster and will get picked up on waivers if you cut them, you really HAVE to shop them before deciding on final cuts. That’s just responsible GM-ing when you have a strong roster (something we as Jets fans aren’t very used to). And you have to look at any deal as a trade for what the other team gives you AND for the player you’d get to keep instead. So, when you say Izzy is worth more to the Jets than a 7th round pick, that may be true — but is he worth more than a 7th round pick AND Leonard Taylor (or McGregor, or Jaylen, or Surrat, or someone else they’d cut and lose if they keep Izzy)?

So, I’m not saying you’re wrong, necessarily. I agree that if they keep Izzy as a 4th back, he could be one injury away from being important to them. But just saying, you kinda gotta shop some of these bubble players right now and see what you can get — and that’s because we’ve got a very strong bubble right now.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Pretty sure he had 2 tds

1 minute ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

When you have maybe 2 roster spots for 5 or 6 guys you’d like to keep, and who belong on an NFL roster and will get picked up on waivers if you cut them, you really HAVE to shop them before cutting them. That’s just responsible GM-ing when you have a strong roster (something we as Jets fans aren’t very used to). And you have to look at any deal as a trade for what the other team gives you AND for the player you’d get to keep instead. So, when you say Izzy is worth more to the Jets than a 7th round pick, that may be true — but is he worth more than a 7th round pick AND Leonard Taylor?

So, I’m not saying you’re wrong, necessarily. I agree that if they keep Izzy as a 4th back, he could be one injury away from being important to them. But just saying, you kinda gotta shop some of these bubble players right now and see what you can get — and that’s because we’ve got a very strong bubble right now.

You have a good point. There's nothing wrong with dangling them to see what other teams might offer, and one does need to consider the player one gets to keep.  That's one of the only downsides of becoming really good.  You wind up losing good players.

If Taylor, Stiggers, JBC, McGregor and perhaps another young player or two don't make this team then Saleh deserves to be fired on the spot.  In my 53. I kept every single FA the Jets have signed except Surratt and Eguavoen, and have kept every young player who I saw mentioned as standing out in TC and who stood out in preseason play, and whom they have added via the draft and as UDFAs, so I don't think they're in a spot yet, where they only have 2 roster spots for 5 or 6 guys they'd like to keep.  I really thought it would be harder to come up with 53, and it really wasn't.  Of course, that said, the Jets' take on it may be markedly different.  I can see where they might have wanted to keep Surratt and Eguavoen on the roster.  Those two probably deserve a spot as well.  Maybe they'll shop them, although I suspect they'll want to keep them on the PS.  They may really like Swilling, Monroe, or Key, because of their talent and upside, but I haven't seen or heard where they've made enough plays to deserve a roster spot, and unless some team coveted them in the draft, I don't see why they wouldn't make the PS.

14 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The fact Clemons didn’t play vs the Giants means he’s safe. Could he be traded? Of course. But he’s not being cut.

Normally I would agree but the performance on the field of the DL against the Giants was impressive maybe even too impressive.  I know, I know it was the Giants and they have challenges on the OL but even so.  I am sure I am not the only one who noticed.

There will be not be any sneaking of DL players onto the practice squad I think.

• Upvote 1

I agree and that’s a best case scenario for him.  He’s a smallish qb with an average arm whose best attribute was a dual threat qb but now he has a shattered leg and it’s unclear when he can even practice.  I agree he’s competing for qb 2 and that’s even unclear if they draft a qb.  

One thing you forgot to mention, He is a winner !!!! Like many QBs we passed on Watson, Jackson, Mahomes.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

52 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

You have a good point. There's nothing wrong with dangling them to see what other teams might offer, and one does need to consider the player one gets to keep.  That's one of the only downsides of becoming really good.  You wind up losing good players.

If Taylor, Stiggers, JBC, McGregor and perhaps another young player or two don't make this team then Saleh deserves to be fired on the spot.  In my 53. I kept every single FA the Jets have signed except Surratt and Eguavoen, and have kept every young player who I saw mentioned as standing out in TC and who stood out in preseason play, and whom they have added via the draft and as UDFAs, so I don't think they're in a spot yet, where they only have 2 roster spots for 5 or 6 guys they'd like to keep.  I really thought it would be harder to come up with 53, and it really wasn't.  Of course, that said, the Jets' take on it may be markedly different.  I can see where they might have wanted to keep Surratt and Eguavoen on the roster.  Those two probably deserve a spot as well.  Maybe they'll shop them, although I suspect they'll want to keep them on the PS.  They may really like Swilling, Monroe, or Key, because of their talent and upside, but I haven't seen or heard where they've made enough plays to deserve a roster spot, and unless some team coveted them in the draft, I don't see why they wouldn't make the PS.

Saleh isn’t the gm 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JKlecko said:

If Taylor, Stiggers, JBC, McGregor and perhaps another young player or two don't make this team then Saleh deserves to be fired on the spot. 

Saleh has a top 10 defense for 2 years now. developed guys like Huff, Quincy and Adams. you can question Saleh on alot of things but when it comes to defense he knows what he is doing. if he cuts those guys i would trust he is making the right choice.