New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The question is if you want or trust Douglas picking the next quarterback. 

If they have any kind of success this year, I think Joe Douglas gets extended.

He completely botched the QB position and his 1st year draft choices, but the philosophy and blueprint have (overall) been solid.

The tricky part / question is Saleh.

There should be a pathway where Saleh gets fired but Douglas gets a reprieve with a new head coach.

Then again, Woody's reasoning might be that Douglas hired Saleh, so he's responsible for Saleh sucking.  It's hard to argue against that kind of logic, but I think it would be a mistake to dump Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2

This is madness by Reddick and his agent.

He's certifiably insane if he doesn't report in time for week 1 and starts forfeiting 800K game checks.

That's money he'll most likely never recoup.

From what the Jets are saying, they would have been sympathetic to a "hold in" but at least wanted him to physically be in the building like he told them he would.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If they have any kind of success this year, I think Joe Douglas gets extended.

He completely botched the QB position and his 1st year draft choices, but the philosophy and blueprint have (overall) been solid.

The tricky part / question is Saleh.

There should be a pathway where Saleh gets fired but Douglas gets a reprieve with a new head coach.

Then again, Woody's reasoning might be that Douglas hired Saleh, so he's responsible for Saleh sucking.  It's hard to argue against that kind of logic, but I think it would be a mistake to dump Joe Douglas.

I’d push back on the overall blueprint being great. We’re all hoping Rodgers balls out but trading for a 40 year old QB isn’t really the vision I’m sure he had when getting to the team.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He's certifiably insane if he doesn't report in time for week 1 and starts forfeiting 800K game checks.

From what the Jets are saying, they would have been sympathetic to a "hold in" but at least wanted him to physically be in the building like he told them he would.

Could have been avoided. The Jets aren’t innocent victims here. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’d push back on the overall blueprint being great. We’re all hoping Rodgers balls out but trading for a 40 year old QB isn’t really the vision I’m sure he had when getting to the team.

Yeah, I agree.

But he had to pivot when it became clear that Zach Wilson sucks.

In the end, he will have made his own bed with that decision (if that ultimately ends up costing him his job).

To be fair though, if you compare the talent on this roster with what Mike Maccagnan dumped in his lap, can there be any argument that he's done a pretty good job building a team?

Maccagnan once drafted 2 safeties B2B in the first 2 rounds of an NFL draft, the 1st of which was at #6 overall when he bypassed maybe the greatest QB in NFL history (Mahomes) in the process.

Maccagnan basically ignored OL in the draft (except for Brandon Shell on day 3).

The #1 WR Douglas inherited from Macc's regime was Robby Anderson 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yeah, I agree.

But he had to pivot when it became clear that Zach Wilson sucks.

In the end, he will have made his own bed with that decision (if that ultimately ends up costing him his job).

To be fair though, if you compare the talent on this roster with what Mike Maccagnan dumped in his lap, can there be any argument that he's done a pretty good job building a team?

Maccagnan once drafted 2 safeties B2B in the first 2 rounds of an NFL draft, the 1st of which was at #6 overall when he bypassed maybe the greatest QB in NFL history (Mahomes) in the process.

Maccagnan basically ignored OL in the draft (except for Brandon Shell on day 3).

The #1 WR Douglas inherited from Macc's regime was Robby Anderson 🤣

MM being arguably the worst GM in league history besides Millen certainly helps JD’s resume.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The question is if you want or trust Douglas picking the next quarterback. 

Are you asking because of his decision to draft Wilson? If so, which QB could he have taken that wouldn't make you question his ability to pick a QB? Jones? Lance? Fields? I'm not talking about the decision to stay at 2 and draft a QB. That's a different discussion. We are talking about his ability to evaluate a QB prospect to be the FQB.

Outside of Lawrence, all of the QB's in that draft are failures. The great John Lynch would have taken Wilson if he was drafting 2. Instead he traded 3 ones to move up and take Trey Lance.

No matter who Douglas picked at 2, he would have ended up in the same position he was heading into 2023. If the Jets make a playoff run I have no problem with him getting another crack at selecting a QB.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

With Reddick being in Jersey , also signing Jets gear & the opening of cap space. Its clear something is in the works & he'll report soon. 

Is it really though?

Playing in Philly as long as he did I’d assume he lives nearby, and I don’t think he’d turn down very many requests to sign anything put in front of him at a charity event.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bicketybam said:

Are you asking because of his decision to draft Wilson? If so, which QB could he have taken that wouldn't make you question his ability to pick a QB? Jones? Lance? Fields? I'm not talking about the decision to stay at 2 and draft a QB. That's a different discussion. We are talking about his ability to evaluate a QB prospect to be the FQB.

Outside of Lawrence, all of the QB's in that draft are failures. The great John Lynch would have taken Wilson if he was drafting 2. Instead he traded 3 ones to move up and take Trey Lance.

No matter who Douglas picked at 2, he would have ended up in the same position he was heading into 2023. If the Jets make a playoff run I have no problem with him getting another crack at selecting a QB.

That draft was a real coach killer.  Somehow it got the greatest coach in history fired but not our coach who's career record is 18-33.  

33 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

He's already forfeited 3 of those game checks. The next one would be the fourth.

12 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I HATED the prospect Zach Wilson coming out, before the Jets had anything to do with him. Too small, sh*t competition, small resume, a disclosed diagnosis and treatment for ADHD... wanted nothing to do with him for multiple reasons, and I'm just a guy messing around on the computer between doing actual work. LOL. 

I was here saying IF I was going to take one of the guys behind Lawrence, it would have been Justin Fields, who had a lot of his own issues to deal with, but he had: Big Arm, large frame, high level of competition, mobile. I actually thought as a "prospect", Darnold was better than Fields, Wilson, and Lance and would have KEPT Darnold that final year and build a team ready for the next QB brought in. But that was just me, I guess. 

Wilson was destined to fail at the NFL level from the word go. At least Fields met SOME of the criteria beyond, "He throw so good at pro day!".

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's already forfeited 3 of those game checks. The next one would be the fourth.

You keep saying this, but I don’t think it’s accurate. Players get paid game checks for regular season games only — training camp and preseason are fixed rates based on years in the league (and no one gets much relative to their regular season pay). At least that’s what I thought, and what I read when I googled it to be sure.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

You keep saying this, but I don’t think it’s accurate. Players get paid game checks for regular season games only — training camp and preseason are fixed rates based on years in the league (and no one gets much relative to their regular season pay). At least that’s what I thought, and what I read when I googled it to be sure.

I was just reading an article about Trent Williams’ hold out, and it specifically said that he lost the equivalent of three game checks in fines for the three preseason games lost. I imagine the same rules apply to Reddick. 

Maybe the confusion is in the fact that he’s still eligible to collect the full value of the remaining year of his contract from the Jets, but he still has to pay those fines in full. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

It's a fine in the amount of the game checks when one holds out and misses a game, not that they actually would otherwise get preseason game checks for showing up and participating (or not participating due to injury or the team keeping the player out). It's designed to be punitive. 

That's how Reddick has amassed over $3MM in fines, and Trent Williams over $5MM in fines, etc. by holding out all summer. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I was just reading an article about Trent Williams’ hold out, and it specifically said that he lost the equivalent of three game checks in fines for the three preseason games lost. I imagine the same rules apply to Reddick. 

Maybe the confusion is in the fact that he’s still eligible to collect the full value of the remaining year of his contract from the Jets, but he still has to pay those fines in full. 

I don't know if this is what happens, but there's a good chance it works like any employer garnishing employee wages to make sure the fine gets paid -- it's a lot easier to get it from the team(s) to play the league instead of the player(s), than to chase down the player(s) after the checks clear.

In Reddick's case, he basically wouldn't get paid for his first four games (the 4th game the leftover amount for him, after fines, would be in the $50K neighborhood). That's if that's how the fines get paid, and it may not be that way. 

55 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The vision was developing a QB to manage and run a balanced offense. All QBs in the draft sucked. Including the following one taken by the great 49ers. He then pivoted to the most capable veteran in the league to make a superbowl run with a stacked af roster he assembled over 3 years, in attempt to not waste the talent. Not sure how long you been around, but in my lifetime the Jets have NEVER drafted as well, or found the volume of talent that this group has, and we still aren't totally fd for future resources. I don't know what more you could possibly ask of a GM. I do not blame him for the Jets horrific injury luck. Which hope to hell is passed for a while. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

People (not you @slats) are just too damn lazy to do a little research, I know I've posted this at least once before, in the last couple of weeks;

Training camp holdouts by players under contract were thought to largely be a thing of the past because of more severe penalties in the 2020 NFL collective bargaining agreement. Teams are required to fine players who aren't on rookie contracts $50,000 per day for training camp absences. Players on rookie contracts are subject to a $40,000-per-day fine. For CBA fining purposes, training camp runs from the mandatory reporting date through the Sunday before the first regular season game (Sept. 1).

There's an additional penalty of one week's base salary (1/18th of salary) for each preseason game missed with players signing contracts as unrestricted free agents or first-round picks playing under their fifth-year option.

This applies to Reddick.

Agent's Take: Potential 2024 training camp holdouts include a pair of All-Pro WRs and a disgruntled RB - CBSSports.com

@Gaffneycatch81

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/55c6cfa4-d9ed-4afb-93ca-2667cd229180/NFL-NFLPA_CBA_March_5_2020.pdf

Top of page 249 = the rules for veterans:

image.png

• $50K/day for each training camp day missed = $700K total (I didn't add that up, but that's a number that got thrown around so I got lazy here)
  • 1 game check (1/17 of $14.25MM) for each preseason game missed = $838K x 3 = $2.5MM
  • plus with Reddick, he didn't show up to minicamp or OTAs so he surely also didn't get his $250K workout bonus

All-in that's about $3.5MM. 

...and to answer my own question that I asked @Doggin94it earlier today, while not explicitly stated, it sure looks strongly implied that they can't wiggle around reducing the fine by reallocating his contract terms after the fact. At the time he incurred these fines, that was his salary. I wish it was otherwise because then it would cost a lot less for the team to sweeten things for him, instead of the team basically paying his fine on the cap on top of any additional money Reddick would take home above his original $14.5MM -- they could've given him a million dollar bump to make him whole again, and now it has to be a $3.5MM bump to $18MM just to bring his take-home back to where things were in April. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

The red zone is for loading and unloading only.  There is no stopping in the white zone.

No the white zone  is for loading and unloading only.  There is no stopping in the red zone.

You're not gonna start with the red zone - white zone nonsense again.  The truth is you want me to have an abortion. 

Well it's the only sensible thing to do...

One of the Greatest Movies in Comedy of all-time.  

• Bronx changed the title to Rule him out Roberto!