QB ranking per The Athletic

These are the rankings per the athletic. I can't really disagree with them.  Of course it's also sort of a bell curve with the top four guys kind of all on their own (with mahomes a huge outlier) and the rest clogging up the middle.  Hard to really rank Rodgers without seeing him play this season.  Past history doesn't guarantee future results.

The Athletic's Week 1 QB rankings

Just now, slimjasi said:

The Minshew disrespect is wild!

@Jetsfan80

No f**king reason he should be behind Daniel Jones, Bryce Young or Jacoby Brissett.

The rookies I understand.  You're banking on potential, or whatever.  I can even understand Darnold being ahead of him.  But Jones has shown he's a$$ for 5 f**kin years.  Bryce Young needs to begin to demonstrate a year 2 leap before you automatically put him inside the top 30, let alone top 25.  I like Brissett but Minshew gives you more (albeit with a lower floor thanks to his persistent fumbling issues).

A$$ list is a$$.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No f**king reason he should be behind Daniel Jones, Bryce Young or Jacoby Brissett.

The rookies I understand.  You're banking on potential, or whatever.  I can even understand Darnold being ahead of him.  But Jones has shown he's a$$ for 5 f**kin years.  Bryce Young needs to begin to demonstrate a year 2 leap before you automatically put him inside the top 30, let alone top 25.  I like Brissett but Minshew gives you more (albeit with a lower floor thanks to his persistent fumbling issues).

A$$ list is a$$.

Agreed. And he should also be ahead of Sam. His carer stats are MUCH better. Even having someone over him like Will Levis is highly questionable (potential aside), IMO. 

The correct list:

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Jackson
  4. Burrow
  5. Rodgers
  6. Hurts
  7. Herbert
  8. Stroud
  9. Stafford
  10. Dak
  11. Purdy
  12. Kyler
  13. Cousins
  14. Love
  15. Tua
  16. Goff
  17. Mayfield
  18. Lawrence
  19. Russ
  20. Geno
  21. Carr
  22. Watson
  23. Minshew
  24. Richardson
  25. Levis
  26. Darnold
  27. Brissett
  28. Bryce Young
  29. Daniel Jones
  30. Caleb Williams
  31. Jayden Daniels
  32. Bo Nix
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

These are the rankings per the athletic. I can't really disagree with them.  Of course it's also sort of a bell curve with the top four guys kind of all on their own (with mahomes a huge outlier) and the rest clogging up the middle.  Hard to really rank Rodgers without seeing him play this season.  Past history doesn't guarantee future results.

The Athletic's Week 1 QB rankings

rodgers is too high.  if he's really 5th - i think we are going to the AFC championship/super bowl.

surprised how far watson has fallen.   below jones lol

• Upvote 3

Maybe 8 QBs on this list actually earn their paychecks. The rest are overpaid, dragging their teams down because GMs are too cowardly to make tough decisions. They dish out big money to mediocre players who rack up empty stats, win 9 games, and crash out in the first round of the playoffs.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Maybe 8 QBs on this list actually earn their paychecks. The rest are overpaid, dragging their teams down because GMs are too cowardly to make tough decisions. They dish out big money to mediocre players who rack up empty stats, win 9 games, and crash out in the first round of the playoffs.

I think just about every team out there thinks they can make a run with a B or B- QB just because a guy like Flacco did it once.  Except that catching lightning in a bottle like that is exceptionally rare and you need so many other things to go right.

That or they think their B/B- guy really is a B+ or better.

Either way, starting over at QB is a daunting task so its far easier to pay your B/B- guy than tank for a top pick.  Especially if you have a fairly loaded roster otherwise, making it difficult to tank properly.

And yeah, its easy to say "just draft your QB late in the 1st/midrounds/Mr Irrelevant" but just how often does that really happen?  For every Lamar/Kirk Cousins/Purdy there's a desolate wasteland of failures at the position.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Who are you putting ahead of him?  Hurts and Herbert are the only ones that would even remotely qualify.

In addition to those guys, I've heard various folks in the media put Stafford, Lawrence, Stroud, Tua, and Love ahead of him going into the year.

• Ugh 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think just about every team out there thinks they can make a run with a B or B- QB just because a guy like Flacco did it once.  Except that catching lightning in a bottle like that is exceptionally rare and you need so many other things to go right.

That or they think their B/B- guy really is a B+ or better.

Yeah, and these people are delusional, dumb, incompetent, cowardly, and many other adjectives. I think it's mostly about job security. A 4-win season with a rookie QB gets you fired, but a 9-win season with Ryan Fitzpatrick buys you another year. These teams aren’t really aiming for championships—they're just trying to keep their jobs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Yeah, and these people are delusional, dumb, incompetent, cowardly, and many other adjectives. I think it's mostly about job security. A 4-win season with a rookie QB gets you fired, but a 9-win season with Ryan Fitzpatrick buys you another year. These teams aren’t really aiming for championships—they're just trying to keep their jobs.

Precisely.  Love him or hate him, call him overrated, whatever....but more GM's need the balls that a guy like Brandon Beane has.  When he traded up quite a few significant assets to snag Josh Allen, his thinking at the time was "If Allen works out, no one will care what it took to get him....if it doesn't, I won't be here anyways."

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The correct list:

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Jackson
  4. Burrow
  5. Rodgers
  6. Hurts
  7. Herbert
  8. Stroud
  9. Stafford
  10. Dak
  11. Purdy
  12. Kyler
  13. Cousins
  14. Love
  15. Tua
  16. Goff
  17. Mayfield
  18. Lawrence
  19. Russ
  20. Geno
  21. Carr
  22. Watson
  23. Minshew
  24. Richardson
  25. Levis
  26. Darnold
  27. Brissett
  28. Bryce Young
  29. Daniel Jones
  30. Caleb Williams
  31. Jayden Daniels
  32. Bo Nix

maybe.  i9 tend to think the qbs in the 5-15 are clustered and then 15-20 and then 20-25 and then the rest.  and i don't think there is much separation between the clusters.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

The Minshew disrespect is wild!

@Jetsfan80

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A$$ list is a$$.

55 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed. And he should also be ahead of Sam. His carer stats are MUCH better. Even having someone over him like Will Levis is highly questionable (potential aside), IMO. 

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The correct list:

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Jackson
  4. Burrow
  5. Rodgers
  6. Hurts
  7. Herbert
  8. Stroud
  9. Stafford
  10. Dak
  11. Purdy
  12. Kyler
  13. Cousins
  14. Love
  15. Tua
  16. Goff
  17. Mayfield
  18. Lawrence
  19. Russ
  20. Geno
  21. Carr
  22. Watson
  23. Minshew
  24. Richardson
  25. Levis
  26. Darnold
  27. Brissett
  28. Bryce Young
  29. Daniel Jones
  30. Caleb Williams
  31. Jayden Daniels
  32. Bo Nix

31 minutes ago, Claymation said:

So in layman's term Minshew would have given the Jets a playoff birth last year. Nice!

@jgb

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Deshaun Watson at 27 seems low but it does just about match number of woman accused him of being a sexual predator.

Agreed. I bet he has a good year- and not just at the happy ending table.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

In addition to those guys, I've heard various folks in the media put Stafford, Lawrence, Stroud, Tua, and Love ahead of him going into the year.

Based on the eye test there's an argument for Love based on what he actually did in big games last year and Stroud.  Stafford healthy is a big time NFL QB.  Same issue as Rodgers.  Lets see them do it for a full season again.  I wouldn't even mention Lawrence and Tua with those guys.  I don't think either one has consistently raised the level of their teams like Love and Stroud did last year.

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with the list.

Mahomes is the best.  The next two are very good, but have 'yeah, but' with their names.  Tier 3, probably larger than it needs to be (4-14) have not done as much as Tier 2 (Lamar), need to do something (Herbert, Lawrence), need to do it again (Love, Stroud, Hurts) or you know what they are (Purdy, Dak A-A-Ron and Kurt).

31 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Based on the eye test there's an argument for Love based on what he actually did in big games last year and Stroud.  Stafford healthy is a big time NFL QB.  Same issue as Rodgers.  Lets see them do it for a full season again.  I wouldn't even mention Lawrence and Tua with those guys.  I don't think either one has consistently raised the level of their teams like Love and Stroud did last year.

Agreed. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The correct list:

1. Mahomes
  2. Allen
  3. Jackson
  4. Burrow
  5. Rodgers
  6. Hurts
  7. Herbert
  8. Stroud
  9. Stafford
  10. Dak
  11. Purdy
  12. Kyler
  13. Cousins
  14. Love
  15. Tua
  16. Goff
  17. Mayfield
  18. Lawrence
  19. Russ
  20. Geno
  21. Carr
  22. Watson
  23. Minshew
  24. Richardson
  25. Levis
  26. Darnold
  27. Brissett
  28. Bryce Young
  29. Daniel Jones
  30. Caleb Williams
  31. Jayden Daniels
  32. Bo Nix

It's closer but the correct list is;

1. Mahomes

2. Jackson 

3. Allen

4. Rodgers

5. Burrow

6. Stafford

7.  Hurts

8. Dak

9. Purdy

10. Stroud

11. Goff

12. Herbert 

13. Tua

14. Cousins

15. Love

16. Kyler

17. Mayfield

18. Geno

19. Watson

20. Lawrence

21. Richardson

22. Minshew

23. Carr

24. - 32. you're pulling pubic hairs and Russ eats them when you're done.

• Post of the Week 1

Last years #1 in Passing Yards (4,624), #5 in Completion Percentage (69.3%), #5 in TD passes (29), #7 in INT Percentage (2.5%), #5 in QB Rating (101.1) is rated 15th on that OP list.

Seems Tua will have to repeat his 2023 production before he starts getting any respect as a QB.  Even then, I'll wager the two WR's will get all the credit.

That seems like a list built for clicks and reposts based on several rankings throughout the list. 

I'm no Minshew fan but how do you have anybody ranked below Daniel Jones. He's so bad you could have the pride of Utah ranked above him despite being QB2 on the Broncos.