JD finally delivers, the OLine is elite

Rhg1084

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd like to see a re-think on the running game, with more varied use of Hall & Allen, as opposed to Hall, Hall, Hall, Hall, Hall, of Hall looks tired, Allen, Hall, Hall, Hall.

I like Hall, but we're burning him this year, especially now while the run blocking is not as "elite" as the pass blocking.

A bit more varied use,  i.e. give Allen a few first carries, don't always run on 1st down, mix up the use a bit, would I think be helpful to both RB's and the O-line.  We have what appears to be a 2nd legit RB weapon, lets get use out of him too.  

Allen is better.

*ducks for cover

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Rodgers can bake a cake back there with all the time he has to throw

I agree. but the problem is that it's only for this season.  Almost certainly Smith won't be back next year, and Moses may not be, either.  Thankfully, because JD did the right thing (due to luck and the Giants turning down his trade request), he took Fashanu and Fashanu should be able to step in and play at a solid level next season.  RT is anyone's guess.  Simpson will be back, as will Tippman.  AVT will be back next year, but if he stays healthy and plays at a high level, will they be able to re-sign/extend him with Sauce, Wilson, JJ and Breece all needing extensions?  Will the OL in 2026 be Fashanu, Tippman and 3 rookies or newly-signed FAs?

When the Jets have an OL that can play together as a unit for at least 4-5 years, then and only then will I say the OL is "fixed."

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Pass protection has been very good. Run blocking leaves something to be desired, although I think that will improve especially as we get more creative on early downs.

I would qualify that as "IF" the Jets get more creative on early downs.  Hackett seems incapable or unwilling to change unless forced to.  The Jets may have to bench him as OC if they're going to get "creative" with their play calling.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd like to see a re-think on the running game, with more varied use of Hall & Allen, as opposed to Hall, Hall, Hall, Hall, Hall, of Hall looks tired, Allen, Hall, Hall, Hall.

I like Hall, but we're burning him this year, especially now while the run blocking is not as "elite" as the pass blocking.

A bit more varied use,  i.e. give Allen a few first carries, don't always run on 1st down, mix up the use a bit, would I think be helpful to both RB's and the O-line.  We have what appears to be a 2nd legit RB weapon, lets get use out of him too.  

We are not "burning" Hall one bit.  Hes averaging 15 carries a game so far.  That is actually pretty light.

If you want to give Allen more carries and Breece less carries that is fine.  But the reason is not we cause we are "burning" him.

8 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I agree. but the problem is that it's only for this season.  Almost certainly Smith won't be back next year, and Moses may not be, either.  Thankfully, because JD did the right thing (due to luck and the Giants turning down his trade request), he took Fashanu and Fashanu should be able to step in and play at a solid level next season.  RT is anyone's guess.  Simpson will be back, as will Tippman.  AVT will be back next year, but if he stays healthy and plays at a high level, will they be able to re-sign/extend him with Sauce, Wilson, JJ and Breece all needing extensions?  Will the OL in 2026 be Fashanu, Tippman and 3 rookies or newly-signed FAs?

When the Jets have an OL that can play together as a unit for at least 4-5 years, then and only then will I say the OL is "fixed."

Ok sounds good you let us know when the OLine is fixed in your opinion. In the meantime they will continue to produce at a high level this year.

13 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

how many teams have your version of "fixed"

it seems impossible in today's nfl

7 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Ok sounds good you let us know when the OLine is fixed in your opinion. In the meantime they will continue to produce at a high level this year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that the OL is "fixed" for at least this year.  That is a start.  "Fixed" implies long term, not short term.

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

how many teams have your version of "fixed"

it seems impossible in today's nfl

I don't know because I don't follow all of the other teams in the NFL.  I do know that it is harder in today's NFL, but some teams always manage to have a solid OL, and that isn't because they draft 5 OL starters in one or two years and keep them together for 10 years.  They do have a core that they keep together for an extended period of time, and then either have a pipeline of players to replace players as they get old or they draft a young guy to replace players.  I'm certain that if one looked at the teams who consistently have very good/great OLs, that you'd see that there is some consistency and stability.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We are not "burning" Hall one bit.  Hes averaging 15 carries a game so far.  That is actually pretty light.

If you want to give Allen more carries and Breece less carries that is fine.  But the reason is not we cause we are "burning" him.

he is getting killed every time he runs up the middle into a wall. he doesnt have the body for it. 

14 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that the OL is "fixed" for at least this year.  That is a start.  "Fixed" implies long term, not short term.

Nothing in the NFL is “long term” except proven coaching staffs and personal departments. Players turnover at a high rate and the key is to have players that can step in and mitigate damages in week 18+. Continuity along the OL is an old myth from a bygone era. 

24 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I mean we got 3 young blue chip pieces in Tippman AVT and Olu, not every position can be an All Pro. Not sure what else you want?