Coward: AR is an immobile and expensive older QB

Bronx

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He may be able to, but he has yet to show that ability at all in the first two weeks.  The few times he's moved outside of the pocket to extend a play he's looked old, slow and been incredibly inaccurate (hitting people in the feet and throwing over their heads)

I don't suspect he's going to get more mobile as he gets older.  But you never know I guess.

I know a guy who looked young, fast and incredibly inaccurate outside the pocket....

IMG_7793.gif.2e64108ae64802ec48d5dcae27167e6d.gif

Just now, RoadFan said:

I always have to say this… Cowherd is very insightful, at least in my opinion.  

Colin has said on multiple occasions he wants the Jets to be good.  His job is easier and more entertaining when a NY team is in the hunt.

Whether or not he believes they will be is a different story…

Hot Ones Crying GIF by First We Feast

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He's the 17th highest paid QB in a league with 32 starting QBs. He makes less than Daniel Jones. That's all people are trying to tell you. 

He has the 18th ranked QBR.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

So 17th highest paid, 18th ranked QB.

The truth is when he's 42 next year and we're paying him the salary he's due next year - which is huge (even if you look at the average) and as he continues to decline with age - his salary to rank will continue to skew toward expensive.  

Putting that aside....

Most of the salaries above Rodgers are being paid for potential and future wins - understanding they're paying higher now but in the future it will be lower and their QB will still be playing at their current level or likely better.  Rodgers contract is on a declining player.  it's not the same.

Understanding that - Rodgers is very expensive right now.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Note that Rodgers currently has a higher QBR than Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goff. It's almost like QBR after 2 weeks of play is meaningless

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The truth is when he's 42 next year and we're paying him the salary he's due next year - which is huge (even if you look at the average) and as he continues to decline with age - his salary to rank will continue to skew toward expensive.  

This is an argument for him being expensive in the future, not now. Right now, he is the 17th highest paid QB. 

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Most of the salaries above Rodgers are being paid for potential and future wins - understanding they're paying higher now but in the future it will be lower and their QB will still be playing at their current level or likely better.  Rodgers contract is on a declining player.  it's not the same.

That's irrelevant to how much he is paid right now. We are talking about current events. Right now, he makes less than 16 other QB - That is, by definition, not expensive. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You always know the fight is over when someone starts using QBR as a measurable stat. Can you tell us how QBR is calculated? No? Is it because it is a subjective stat invented by ESPN? That would be my guess.

Since 1973, passer rating has been the official formula used by the NFL to determine its passing leader. Why would you want to use QBR? I have an idea as to why.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That's irrelevant to how much he is paid right now. We are talking about current events. Right now, he makes less than 16 other QB - That is, by definition, not expensive. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is an argument for him being expensive in the future, not now. Right now, he is the 17th highest paid QB

No, we're talking about his contract.  His guaranteed money.  You can not look at a salary in any one given year - I know you know that.

Rodgers's contract is expensive.

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Note that Rodgers currently has a higher QBR than Patrick Mahomes and Jared Goff. It's almost like QBR after 2 weeks of play is meaningless

Mahomes is 2-0, he's taken his team to two wins.   

But even then - Geno, Murray, Darnold and Carr are in the top 5.  They are likely to fall in the rankings.  Just because he's 18 now does't mean he's going to go up.  

All we have now is what we can look at now.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No, we're talking about his contract.  His guaranteed money.  You can not look at a salary in any one given year - I know you know that.

Rodgers's contract is expensive.

It's 17th in AAV. I'm not sure why you are so confused.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/player/_/year/2024/sort/contract_average

33 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I always have to defend him… Cowherd is very insightful, at least in my opinion.  

Colin has also said on multiple occasions he wants the Jets to be good.  His job is easier and more entertaining when a NY team is in the hunt.

Cowherd is one of the few people in the media who doubted Zach before the draft while everyone else was on the bandwagon annointing him Aaron 2.0.

That said he’s just doing a Mark Schlereth here and baiting jets fans.

57 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Putting that aside....

If he wins nobody cares

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

I always have to defend him… Cowherd is very insightful, at least in my opinion.  

Colin has also said on multiple occasions he wants the Jets to be good.  His job is easier and more entertaining when a NY team is in the hunt.

https://x.com/colincowherd/status/1085319944969977858

• Haha 3

Coward is a clown and the fact that I'm even replying to a comment he made has me embarrassed.

Rodgers is a 17.1mill cap hit this year. Which has him as the 15th highest paid QB.

If you ask people to name there top 14 QBs I can guarantee you Rodgers is in everyone's list. Therefor how is he overpaid?

He's likely a QB between that 5-10 range, which makes him probably the biggest steal as QBs besides guys still on rookie deals.

To dive even deeper Rodgers hit next year is 23mill which ranks him as the 18th highest paid QB. Making him even more of a steal cap hit wise.

I think we get those 2 years for sure from Rodgers. Yes there's dead money after that. But we'll hopefully have a QB under a rookie contract anyway, so it doesn't hurt us. Let's just say Travis is our guy for 2026. He still would have 2 years on his rookie deal while Rodgers is getting paid dead money. But that dead money with the cap rising doesn't hurt us much.

Where it hurts us is if Rodgers retires and Travis isn't it. And we decide to spend on a QB still. Which I doubt. I think we try Travis 1st. And luckily for us, he's being groomed the right way. And should have a good OL in front of him with some weapons.

9 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I believe that he will get better as the year goes on.  He’ll be better at this point next season than he is now.  At least half of his mobility will return. 

Agree with this 100%

I'm sure Rodgers is still knocking off some rust, after sitting out for a full season and it may take another few games, for him to really start rounding into form.

I'm pretty confident the more he plays, the more accurate and effiecient he'll become.

The good news is, he's already good enough to win with.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Putting that aside....

Where paying a slight premium for huge incompetence.   When considering who the owner GM and HC of this team is getting reasonably competent QB play at any price is reasonable.  If he performs better than expected it’s a total win for this team.

On 9/17/2024 at 3:57 PM, BurntDice said:

Why didn’t they go at Brady like this when he was on the Bucs?

Brady, unlike Rodgers got better with age.  Brady was completely dedicated to playing football up until he retired.  Rodgers retired mentally 2 years ago.

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Where paying a slight premium for huge incompetence.   When considering who the owner GM and HC of this team is getting reasonably competent QB play at any price is reasonable.  If he performs better than expected it’s a total win for this team.

I don't disagree with this.  I'm not saying he can't help the team win.  or that he's not better than what we've had in the recent (or no so recent) past.

My only point was Coward was correct.  Jet fans just seem to get angry for angry sake - even if they know he's right.

Rodgers is expensive and he is immobile.  That is all.

I would also say Mahomes is expensive (even though he's 11th on salary list) Even though he's the best player in football and 11th  that list - he is still expensive.  I guess you would say he's mobile and expensive. 

(he also talked about the Jet's offense being simplistic and lacking creativity - I don't hear anyone calling him an idiot about that point)

On 9/17/2024 at 8:59 AM, Rhg1084 said:

Expensive? He’s like the 15th in QB salary lol what’s this guy even talking about 

Okay but absolutely everything else he said is 100% correct. Nathaniel Hackett is one of the worst all-time in the history of the NFL. We 100% will not, can not  win the AFC East and will likely not be in the playoffs because of this vanilla offense. It's absolutely shameful to be putting this on the field when every other team looks like a Barnum and Bailey circus production, with people practically doing flips and moving in the backfield. Who the hell are we supposed to fool with this sh*t? I'm beyond sickened by this season. It's gonna be a long, long, playoff-less year.

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Agree with this 100%

I'm sure Rodgers is still knocking off some rust, after sitting out for a full season and it may take another few games, for him to really start rounding into form.

I'm pretty confident the more he plays, the more accurate and effiecient he'll become.

The good news is, he's already good enough to win with.

He's making some incredible throws. Beautiful, as Baldinger points out. But the offense looks like the Browns from the 1950s. It's truly awful. It's inexcusable in 2024 to have this.

40 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Brady, unlike Rodgers got better with age.  Brady was completely dedicated to playing football up until he retired.  Rodgers retired mentally 2 years ago.

Rodgers had a season ending injury last year and played with a broken thumb the year prior. The 2 years prior to that he won consecutive MVP awards. 

49 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This seems like an absurd comment considering that the guy just went through a grueling achilles rehab to get back on the field.

I think the marriage with Green Bay got stale and he needed a change of scenery, but he’s been pretty energized since becoming a Jet  

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Coward is a clown and the fact that I'm even replying to a comment he made has me embarrassed.

Rodgers is a 17.1mill cap hit this year. Which has him as the 15th highest paid QB.

If you ask people to name there top 14 QBs I can guarantee you Rodgers is in everyone's list. Therefor how is he overpaid?

He's likely a QB between that 5-10 range, which makes him probably the biggest steal as QBs besides guys still on rookie deals.

To dive even deeper Rodgers hit next year is 23mill which ranks him as the 18th highest paid QB. Making him even more of a steal cap hit wise.

I think we get those 2 years for sure from Rodgers. Yes there's dead money after that. But we'll hopefully have a QB under a rookie contract anyway, so it doesn't hurt us. Let's just say Travis is our guy for 2026. He still would have 2 years on his rookie deal while Rodgers is getting paid dead money. But that dead money with the cap rising doesn't hurt us much.

Where it hurts us is if Rodgers retires and Travis isn't it. And we decide to spend on a QB still. Which I doubt. I think we try Travis 1st. And luckily for us, he's being groomed the right way. And should have a good OL in front of him with some weapons.

Okay try to defend the Jets vanilla offense now.