Aaron Rodgers: The Last of a Dying Breed

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

When people talk about Aaron Rodgers, they often focus on the usual: his pinpoint accuracy, arm strength, and ability to move in and out of the pocket. But there’s something more, something that sets him apart in today’s NFL — his football IQ. It's his mental mastery of the game that makes him truly unique. While everyone praised Tom Brady in his Buccaneers years for his experience, claiming you couldn't surprise him with anything, what we’re seeing from Rodgers isn’t just experience — it’s mental domination at the highest level.

Sure, the game has gotten easier for quarterbacks. The "Brady Rule" and changes in QB protection mean they can't be hit like they used to. Brady himself admitted the game was simpler for quarterbacks today, with modern rules and defenses becoming easier to read. But as I watched Rodgers dismantle the Patriots, I realized something: we aren’t just watching greatness — we’re witnessing the last great quarterback of a bygone era.

Rodgers isn’t just playing “vintage” football; he’s doing what an older generation of QBs mastered in real-time: dissecting the defense pre-snap, predicting coverage, and then exploiting it. This isn’t about sticking to a game plan. It’s the ability to adjust on a play-by-play basis, ensuring his team always has the highest chance of success. Watching Rodgers work is like watching a chess grandmaster predict every move before it even happens.

That ability to instantly read defenses and adjust? We used to see it with Brady, and even Chad Pennington, especially in his Miami years. But both of those guys are gone. So, who’s left? Mahomes? He’s spectacular, but he’s winning mostly on raw talent. He’s not playing the same mental chess game Rodgers is. That’s why Mahomes, for all his brilliance, sometimes looks beatable — because he doesn’t approach the game like Rodgers, who’s thinking five steps ahead every time he touches the ball.

Which brings us to the real question: who in today’s NFL is even close to matching Rodgers’ football IQ? The truth is, no one. The NFL is facing record-low touchdown rates, and teams are struggling against “new” defensive schemes like the two-high safeties. But here’s the thing: those defenses aren’t actually new. We had the Tampa 2 back in the day, and Rodgers is still lighting teams up with multiple touchdown games every week. Why? Because he’s not playing the same game as everyone else. He’s out-thinking his opponents, adjusting faster than they can react.

Sure, the occasional timeout to avoid a delay of game might seem like a small price to pay, but it's nothing compared to the advantage Rodgers gives you every play. Right now, I don’t see another quarterback out there who’s doing what Rodgers is doing. Watching these games, it feels like Rodgers could carve up any defense, and with the Jets’ defense playing at an elite level, this team is in a league of its own. Joe Douglas’ wildest dreams have come true, and it’s a pleasure watching Rodgers’ master class unfold each week.

Even Nathaniel Hackett — after a rocky start — didn’t completely mess things up in Week 3, which says a lot.

Rodgers isn’t just a quarterback with talent; he’s a mental juggernaut, playing at a level no one else in the NFL today can match. At some point, Rodgers became the last of his breed — the last quarterback playing this kind of cerebral football. Watching him now, it’s clear: there is no one better at this craft.

Name someone. I dare you.

It’s a great time to be a Jets fan.

- BornJetsFan 1983

Screenshot 2024-09-23 113455.png

Mahomes is becoming a Cerebral assassin.

He isn’t on the Brady Rodgers level yet but he isn’t far.

He is only going to get better and separate himself as the GOAT

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Mahomes is becoming a Cerebral assassin.

He isn’t on the Brady Rodgers level yet but he isn’t far.

He is only going to get better and separate himself as the GOAT

He is the first guy I thought of, as likely next to do next. That seems like the next elevation of his game

I think there are other guys who are doing it. They just don’t do it as well as Rodgers, and/or they don’t have the physical talent to take advantage of what they see. But I don’t necessarily agree that it’s a “dying breed” … sure, the younger QBs in the league tend to take advantage of their athleticism more, and there are more athletic QBs now. But QBs who can read the defense and adjust correspondingly will always have an extra tool in their kit, and as pointed out, guys like Mahomes are well on their way to utilizing the same cerebral skills that Manning/Brady/Rodgers have become known for.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, nobody at Rodgers’ level.  Agreed, great time to be a Jets fan.  (Hopefully, we can all wrap our brains around that soon? Many of us didn’t know what to think watching AR on Thursday night.)

The only other QB in the league that is obviously diagnosing plays both pre-snap and post-snap at a very high level is Burrow.  

• Upvote 2

watching the jets beating the patsies shows how rodgers dictates to the defense what the offense is going to do.  seemed like every time the jets played the patsies the jet offense had to take what the defense gave them and lately the patsies were able to significantly disguise coverages and confuse the qb.

5 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

I think there are other guys who are doing it. They just don’t do it as well as Rodgers, and/or they don’t have the physical talent to take advantage of what they see. But I don’t necessarily agree that it’s a “dying breed” … sure, the younger QBs in the league tend to take advantage of their athleticism more, and there are more athletic QBs now. But QBs who can read the defense and adjust correspondingly will always have an extra tool in their kit, and as pointed out, guys like Mahomes are well on their way to utilizing the same cerebral skills that Manning/Brady/Rodgers have become known for.

Who ? Mahomes doesn't do it. 

Who do you think does?

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Agreed, nobody at Rodgers’ level.  Agreed, great time to be a Jets fan.  (Hopefully, we can all wrap our brains around that soon? Many of us didn’t know what to think watching AR on Thursday night.)

The only other QB in the league that is obviously diagnosing plays both pre-snap and post-snap at a very high level is Burrow.  

Hmmm...I have to watch a Bengals game...didn't know he was acting like that...

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Hmmm...I have to watch a Bengals game...didn't know he was acting like that...

Not sure if serious?  Burrow strolls to the line of scrimmage after breaking the huddle.  He has his head up and eyes scanning the opponent during the walk.  Reminds me of Peyton Manning…

Problem with Burrow is he would be better off just ducking and going down to avoid a hit on an obvious sack like Peyton used to do.   Burrow allows himself to get tackled awkwardly way too much.

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

When people talk about Aaron Rodgers, they often focus on the usual: his pinpoint accuracy, arm strength, and ability to move in and out of the pocket. But there’s something more, something that sets him apart in today’s NFL — his football IQ. It's his mental mastery of the game that makes him truly unique. While everyone praised Tom Brady in his Buccaneers years for his experience, claiming you couldn't surprise him with anything, what we’re seeing from Rodgers isn’t just experience — it’s mental domination at the highest level.

Sure, the game has gotten easier for quarterbacks. The "Brady Rule" and changes in QB protection mean they can't be hit like they used to. Brady himself admitted the game was simpler for quarterbacks today, with modern rules and defenses becoming easier to read. But as I watched Rodgers dismantle the Patriots, I realized something: we aren’t just watching greatness — we’re witnessing the last great quarterback of a bygone era.

Rodgers isn’t just playing “vintage” football; he’s doing what an older generation of QBs mastered in real-time: dissecting the defense pre-snap, predicting coverage, and then exploiting it. This isn’t about sticking to a game plan. It’s the ability to adjust on a play-by-play basis, ensuring his team always has the highest chance of success. Watching Rodgers work is like watching a chess grandmaster predict every move before it even happens.

That ability to instantly read defenses and adjust? We used to see it with Brady, and even Chad Pennington, especially in his Miami years. But both of those guys are gone. So, who’s left? Mahomes? He’s spectacular, but he’s winning mostly on raw talent. He’s not playing the same mental chess game Rodgers is. That’s why Mahomes, for all his brilliance, sometimes looks beatable — because he doesn’t approach the game like Rodgers, who’s thinking five steps ahead every time he touches the ball.

Which brings us to the real question: who in today’s NFL is even close to matching Rodgers’ football IQ? The truth is, no one. The NFL is facing record-low touchdown rates, and teams are struggling against “new” defensive schemes like the two-high safeties. But here’s the thing: those defenses aren’t actually new. We had the Tampa 2 back in the day, and Rodgers is still lighting teams up with multiple touchdown games every week. Why? Because he’s not playing the same game as everyone else. He’s out-thinking his opponents, adjusting faster than they can react.

Sure, the occasional timeout to avoid a delay of game might seem like a small price to pay, but it's nothing compared to the advantage Rodgers gives you every play. Right now, I don’t see another quarterback out there who’s doing what Rodgers is doing. Watching these games, it feels like Rodgers could carve up any defense, and with the Jets’ defense playing at an elite level, this team is in a league of its own. Joe Douglas’ wildest dreams have come true, and it’s a pleasure watching Rodgers’ master class unfold each week.

Even Nathaniel Hackett — after a rocky start — didn’t completely mess things up in Week 3, which says a lot.

Rodgers isn’t just a quarterback with talent; he’s a mental juggernaut, playing at a level no one else in the NFL today can match. At some point, Rodgers became the last of his breed — the last quarterback playing this kind of cerebral football. Watching him now, it’s clear: there is no one better at this craft.

Name someone. I dare you.

It’s a great time to be a Jets fan.

- BornJetsFan 1983

Screenshot 2024-09-23 113455.png

There are plenty of other winning QBs in the NFL right now and they all have different styles - some are scramblers some are runners pretending to be QBs some do it with rocket arms - some can do it all so the Rodgers way isn’t the only winning way - it’s the way he does it. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. He might be one of the last of a dying breed is true - a QB that does it mentally and has the arm to do it but there are other new breeds excelling every week. I’m glad he’s a Jet and would be happy as hell if he won a superbowl with the Jets but as great as he’s been he’s only got 1 - so let’s see him win another like this season right now.