Cap question, can we have both Davante and Reddick?

I believe Reddick is already factored into our cap space.  His not showing up doesn't change that I don't think (could be wrong).

All reporting I've heard says we can afford Adams at his current 2024 cost.  But it'd be tight.

So I'd wager yes, but neither he nor Reddick can be given more in 2024 if we got Adams.

19 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Or do we have to move Reddick ?

Reddick does NOT count against our cap currently. So, without restructuring some contracts, the answer currently is NO, we could not fit them both. We’d be somewhere in the area of $7-10M short if they both showed up today. Of course, that number goes down by close to a million per week for each of them ($800k per week with Reddick, around $1M per week with Adams). 

My understanding is, this is quite manageable with a couple of restructures. So to answer your question, no, we do not HAVE to move Reddick. And in fact, I doubt we do.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

This isn’t rocket science.  When the bills or chiefs get Davante Adams they somehow will make it work within the salary cap

Joe Douglas can't **** this one up. The cap won't be an issue. You don't hire Hackett to get Aaron Rodgers and then not trade for Davante Adams when he demands a trade and prefers the Jets. Especially after Rodgers took a pay cut to make adding players around him easier.

He has to get this one done.

48 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

1) I think this is why if the trade happens, it will be in the beginning of next week. One less week to pay Adams and he’s not suiting up this Sunday anyway. 

2) Reddick isn’t walking in the door until he has to, so his cap number will be reduced as well. 

So while the answer on 10/04 is no,  that will change.

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

1) I think this is why if the trade happens, it will be in the beginning of next week. One less week to pay Adams and he’s not suiting up this Sunday anyway. 

2) Reddick isn’t walking in the door until he has to, so his cap number will be reduced as well. 

So while the answer on 10/04 is no,  that will change.

What Jason is saying is that yes, we can have both because the Jets will just convert his 2024 salary to a bonus that will hit future year(s). The answer on 10/04 is yes.

• Upvote 1

They need to get this done NOW! Time is running out before they fall out of the race.  Al this money/draft picks spent on Rodgers and we are nowhere nearer to a playoff spot than we have been over the last 4 years.  Davante changes this offense instantly. It frees up GW, opens up teh running game and most importantly, appeases Rodgers who would now have his go to guy.   Jets still need to adjust the DL and add a pass rusher and run stuffer. 

33 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What Jason is saying is that yes, we can have both because the Jets will just convert his 2024 salary to a bonus that will hit future year(s). The answer on 10/04 is yes.

Sure ..if we have to convert Adams salary.  But the longer it takes Reddick to report the less we owe him in 2024 and there’s a decent chance we could fit them in without pushing money to 2025

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

They need to get this done NOW! Time is running out before they fall out of the race.  Al this money/draft picks spent on Rodgers and we are nowhere nearer to a playoff spot than we have been over the last 4 years.  Davante changes this offense instantly. It frees up GW, opens up teh running game and most importantly, appeases Rodgers who would now have his go to guy.   Jets still need to adjust the DL and add a pass rusher and run stuffer. 

wait, why are they going to "fall out of the race"?

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/nfl-insider-reveals-potential-new-york-jets-trade-partner-for-haason-reddick

Trading Reddick for Adams would be the easy solution. But it’s not the only solution and the Raiders shouldn’t be the only suitor that the Jets consider if they decide to deal Reddick.

One NFC contender with a big need at the position came to Corry’s mind during the podcast — the Dallas Cowboys.

“Dallas comes to mind because they lost Sam Williams in the preseason,” Corry said. “Demarcus Lawrence is out multiple weeks. Micah Parsons has a high ankle sprain. They've got cap room since they did their late extensions for Dak Prescott and CeeDee Lamb. So we'll see if that could be a solution.”

If they trade for Adams they will turn the rest of his salary into a bonus this year, guarantee money next year and spread out the bonus over the next few years.  His cap hit for us this year would be like $3-$4 million instead of the $13 million that we currently need. That would leave room for Reddick if he reports. 

5 hours ago, sciond said:

F- RedDick

You trade for d Adams this isn’t going to be one year deal.   It’s going to be multiple year deal as his people want a new deal. Why don’t see the Jets as the leading suitor.  A Rodgers this probably it for him , does he want to play for a team with no long  term Qb.    He will probably prefer to go to team with establish Qb.   

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Joe Douglas can't **** this one up. The cap won't be an issue. You don't hire Hackett to get Aaron Rodgers and then not trade for Davante Adams when he demands a trade and prefers the Jets. Especially after Rodgers took a pay cut to make adding players around him easier.

He has to get this one done.

I understand where you're coming from, but I can't agree with you.  It would be worse to mortgage the Jets future such that they wind up losing one or two of their young core players just to rent Adams for a year or two.  If he can do it without screwing the future cap up and not giving up a ton of draft resources that the Jets will need to replace players that they lose in FA in 2025 and 2026, fine; otherwise, he shouldn't do it at all.  Davante Adams isn't going to make up for Saleh's and Hackett's incompetence.  Unless he can also play DT, he's not going to solve the Jets' inability to stop the run.  He's not going to solve the penalty and discipline issues, nor the shoddy tackling issue.  Those things will undermine the Jets regardless of what Adams brings to the table on offense.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

If they trade for Adams they will turn the rest of his salary into a bonus this year, guarantee money next year and spread out the bonus over the next few years.  His cap hit for us this year would be like $3-$4 million instead of the $13 million that we currently need. That would leave room for Reddick if he reports. 

But that would screw up the cap for the next 2-3 years and the Jets could wind up losing some of their core players like Breece, Wilson, Sauce, AVT, and JJ as a result.  They'd almost certainly lose quite a few of their own FAs over the next 2-3 years.

7 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

I understand where you're coming from, but I can't agree with you.  It would be worse to mortgage the Jets future such that they wind up losing one or two of their young core players just to rent Adams for a year or two.  If he can do it without screwing the future cap up and not giving up a ton of draft resources that the Jets will need to replace players that they lose in FA in 2025 and 2026, fine; otherwise, he shouldn't do it at all.  Davante Adams isn't going to make up for Saleh's and Hackett's incompetence.  Unless he can also play DT, he's not going to solve the Jets' inability to stop the run.  He's not going to solve the penalty and discipline issues, nor the shoddy tackling issue.  Those things will undermine the Jets regardless of what Adams brings to the table on offense.

I wasn't suggesting and do not think Douglas should give up core young players for Adams. It just seems like a trade he has to make happen. I don't think it should cost more than a 3rd but there's a lot of pressure on him here.

No one is saying Adams would make everything better. I don't know why people feel the need to state this about every potential Jets move lately. It is obvious and goes without saying. He would without question improve the offense.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I wasn't suggesting and do not think Douglas should give up core young players for Adams. It just seems like a trade he has to make happen. I don't think it should cost more than a 3rd but there's a lot of pressure on him here.

No one is saying Adams would make everything better. I don't know why people feel the need to state this about every potential Jets move lately. It is obvious and goes without saying. He would without question improve the offense.

I can't speak for others, but the reason I said it is for clarification.  When someone doesn't mention it, then it can all too easily sound like one thinks that adding Adams would solve all the team's problems.  Also, I would be surprised if there aren't at least a few posters here who think it would solve all the Jets problems, that they would be so great on offense that the other things wouldn't matter.  In addition some posters speak as if the cap doesn't exist or it's just easy to fit someone in under the cap.  It isn't always easy.  If it were, teams wouldn't wind up in cap hell.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

You can make almost anything work in the short term. Question is how much do you mortgage the future.

thank you, someone who gets it.

they said they want a 2nd rd pick AND other considerations. 

well " other considerations" wont be stock in "Johnson and Johnson". it will be one or 2 good young players that none of us will want to give up.

Adams is one of the best WRs in the game, we are not getting him for scrubs. this trade will be the "Jamal Adams" trade for Vegas. something that will help restart there rebuild.