The run game not working breaks my brain

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

You are supposed to have two elite backs in Hall and Allen 

You have a revamped talented O Line with multiple accomplished players and higher draft picks 

You have Aaron Rodgers at QB keeping defenses honest 

Yet our run game is the worst in the NFL.

Can an O Line coach really have that much of a negative impact? This defies everything I think I know about football 

it's 100% too predictable and OL and backs routinely don't know who they're blocking

100% an indictment on the coaching staff

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Big problem with the offense is that Rodgers is calling most of it at the line, which limits the variety of run plays that get called. He gets up to the line, gets a look that seems favorable to the run, then has maybe two or three run plays he can check to. The defense knows where those plays are run to within five minutes of film study. Compare that to the way a Shanahan system works, where it looks like no run set is called twice on the same drive. There’s no motion to shift people, no creativity in the blocking scheme, and it leaves Breece praying that John Simpson can root out two DL at the same time. 

Wow.  That’s a depressing realization…

7 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

None of this still makes any sense that they can be this bad running the ball. They ran for 36 yards on 14 carries today. Hall has back to back games of 4 and 23 yards. I mean something is seriously wrong here. 

There is a tell other teams have figured out.  We are tipping them off as to when we are running.

Thats the only explanation on how they are in our backfield on every run.

13 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is a tell other teams have figured out.  We are tipping them off as to when we are running.

Thats the only explanation on how they are in our backfield on every run.

Still, I have seen plenty of times that teams run the ball when the other team knows what is coming and they still can't stop it. Hall has B2B games of 4 and 23 yards. This is almost impossible to be this bad. Hall and Allen are good backs and the Oline does have some talent. Hall has 197 yards through 5 games. Last year he managed 1000 yards with teams stacking the box against our QB's and a pretty bad and injured Oline. I just don't get it. 

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

that 3rd down run was ridiculously stupid. instead of just running straight downhill between the tackles they have some weird trap play where the 3rd string TE ends up being the point of failure. Like, WTF are you doing? You have a 20 year old power back. Shove him down their throats there bros.

My reaction to that play was "who the hell was that guy and when do we cut him?" :D  

33 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yep. How about play action on first and 10.  How about screen passes.  

How about no play action with a 40 year old QB on one leg and a line that can’t hold up. We did it twice on second and short in the second half and got sacked twice for huge drive ending loses

15 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

You are supposed to have two elite backs in Hall and Allen 

You have a revamped talented O Line with multiple accomplished players and higher draft picks 

You have Aaron Rodgers at QB keeping defenses honest 

Yet our run game is the worst in the NFL.

Can an O Line coach really have that much of a negative impact? This defies everything I think I know about football 

Defenses have zero respect for Rodgers making them pay with anything deep.  Rodgers has made the running game operate in a phone booth.  

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The 28th stacked box stat seems to go against this.

It's a total illusion.   Rodgers is washed and it's showing up on tape.  There is no respect for him to go over the top.  There moving up on the snap.  

Appears what's going on is the OL as a whole isn't playing like they should.

No one in here really talking about how Fashanu hasn't been good either. OL looked vastly better with Moses in there.

We also switched from a ZBS to a MBS. Now we did this bc it was supposed to be a strength of our OLineman. But that hasn't been true. Not exactly sure why or what's going on. But what we're doing isn't working. Hall seems to be struggling running behind this scheme as well. Now a lot of that is bc they're getting no push and there's no holes. A RB can only do so much. We've seen Allen more useful by a small margin. But that's really only bc he is more north and south.,

• The number of incomplete passes to me yesterday were quite frustrating.  Guys were 1,2, 3x covered.  Guys were dropping the ball.  Rodgers was missing receivers.  When your passing game looks like that, you can't run either.
  • But obviously the plan that "we don't really need offensive coaches because we have AR8" does not really work.  The Jets have defensive coaching.   They have some personnel issues (bad decisions, bad performance), but they are coached.  The Jets have no real offensive coaching.  
  • They need to get it together, or they are all getting fired. 

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Kieth Carter was the Titans O line coach for four years 

they ranked 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 5th, and 13th in the NFL in rushing those years 

Mike Vrabel who everyone wants to dump saleh for… had Kieth Carter as his O Line coach 

To be fair, Vrabel (who I would hate as a hire) also fired Keith Carter.  Downing too, for that matter.

They ranked where they ranked because they had Derrick Henry.   A better question is why they made Todd Downing, who was the post Arthur Smith OC of those teams, "passing game coordinator" when those teams ran well but could not throw the ball to save their lives?  

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's a total illusion.   Rodgers is washed and it's showing up on tape.  There is no respect for him to go over the top.  There moving up on the snap.  

I agree with this to an extent, but I think they will start beating it when the receivers step up a bit.  Same page and all that.