Bring in Jon Gruden

If we are lucky, we get someone like Todd Monken.

More likely, we get Aaron Glenn or Brian Schottenheimer because Woody knows who they are and they won't cost much or demand total control.

Woody isn't going to pay a big-name HC or hand over absolute control to anyone.

• Upvote 2

I think we need something who previous head coaching experience who has won, knows how to build a roster, and build a coaching staff.

While Gruden is not a perfect candidate, I honestly don’t think we will be able to find a perfect candidate considering the narrative around this organization. We’re going to need someone sort of desperate which is rare for an established winning coach. Two people come to mind:

Jon Gruden and Pete Carroll 

Gruden: Deseprate for controversial racist emails 

Carroll: Desperate due to age

I can’t see any other teams hiring either guy honestly.

I would throw Vrabel into the category of a guy who fits the mold of what we need but he isn’t desperate and will have his pick of jobs.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I would stay away from the controversial figures. The Rodgers discourse has been exhausting and the spotlight it has shined on the organization has been the exact opposite of productive 

Honestly we need someone obsessed with nothing but football who is going to come in here and turn the entire organization upside down. Forget the headlines, and upper echelon coaching candidates are going to steer clear of 1JD.

We need someone who is desperate for a HC job but also a proven winner. I think Gruden fits the bill. 

3 minutes ago, green&white said:

It worked out so well with the raiders the 2nd time around 

That team was a total rebuild when he took over. They got better each year and were 5-3 when he was forced to resign.

I’m not saying he is the perfect candidate but I’m not sure who else with a proven track record would even consider coming here for an interview.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

That team was a total rebuild when he took over. They got better each year and were 5-3 when he was forced to resign.

I’m not saying he is the perfect candidate but I’m not sure who else with a proven track record would even consider coming here for an interview.

No one in their right mind would come to this franchise by now. Especially if Rodgers stays next year (which I believe he will).

There was issues with Saleh, but overall he was a bright and fiery young coach and a guy who this franchise could have built a future with in a different scenario. An experienced guy wouldn't touch this headache and a young guy would be afraid of being scapegoated like Saleh was. This team will be lucky if it can even keep Ulbrich.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, I don’t think a young hot OC candidate comes here…things are this bad in the organization and I’m not sure someone with no HC experience can handle this.

You don’t hire the architect or interior designer before demo and gutting the place. A fancy play-caller isn’t going to fix this mess.

I think we need someone even for the short-term 4-5 years like Carroll or Gruden to turn the ship around, change the culture, hire good staff, and set the table for a young OC of their hiring to take over as HC once they retire.

Sadly, we are probably years away from being a contender and that is if everything went perfectly. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

It can't happen in this day and age, and it won't.  The last thing this shipshow of a franchise needs is another controversial hire.  

I don't have the answer.  After this buffoon of an owner fired the awful head coach five games in, after castrating the current GM, after the belichick comments regarding the owner, who is coming here?!? 

Maybe the best we can hope for is he gets deported to the UK again.  

The JD situation confuses the hell out of me.  Here's a guy, you couldn't have much better of a pedigree when he was hired.  Worked for some of the most widely respected franchises/GMs out there.  If I remember correctly, he was THE hot GM candidate.  Held out for a 6 year deal.  Said all rhe right things when he was hired.  We all know how this story ends.  Was woody behind the Zach pick?  I think it's quite apparent he was behind the Rodgers mess.  

Wash, rinse, repeat.  Here we go again.

Please, Woody, sell the facking team.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think we need something who previous head coaching experience who has won, knows how to build a roster, and build a coaching staff.

While Gruden is not a perfect candidate, I honestly don’t think we will be able to find a perfect candidate considering the narrative around this organization. We’re going to need someone sort of desperate which is rare for an established winning coach. Two people come to mind:

Jon Gruden and Pete Carroll 

Gruden: Deseprate for controversial racist emails 

Carroll: Desperate due to age

I can’t see any other teams hiring either guy honestly.

I would throw Vrabel into the category of a guy who fits the mold of what we need but he isn’t desperate and will have his pick of jobs.

Since we are mentioning possible prospective HC hires for the Jets, despite some issues:

Marv Levy, he is only 99 years old.

Chuck Noll, he is dead.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Literally good coaches all over, and yet some of you clamor for these cartoonish idiots like Gruden and Rex. I’ll never get it. 

Good coaches all over like who? Who’s the hot defensive coordinator we’re going to hire this time around?

Gruden has his issues, but if The Jets are stuck with Rodgers for one more year, Gruden would be the one to take the job and deal with it for one year. I hope Rodgers retires, but if they are stuck with him for one more season, Gruden is the only one that would take that gig.