The anger was short lived, I’ve now achieved blissful apathy

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Woody Johnson didn’t just end the season when he fired his head coach five games into the year with a battle for first place in the division on the horizon, he exterminated any hope for the future of this franchise under him in the process. 

No one will want to work for the sort of stupid, impatient, impulsive owner who would do such a thing, but just to make sure he drove the point home he decided to make stupid GM moves on top of it. With the trade deadline approaching, the Raiders options limited, and reports that they weren’t being offered more than a fourth round pick for Adams, Woody swoops in on a deal that Joe Douglas had been working on for over a year to hand over a third round pick that can become a second. Raiders would’ve taken anything two weeks later, but already it’s obvious that giving up anything was idiotic, and the Jets would’ve been out of the market  entirely at 2-6. Same with Reddick. Douglas had been working on that since the spring, and Reddick was getting close to having to report this season or having his contract toll into next season, so of course -once again- Woody steps in and overpays after publicly begging him to show up a couple weeks early in yet another losing cause. 

For the people here who wanted to fire Saleh, and want him to fire Joe Douglas, too, I have a message for you: this team isn’t hiring anyone better. No one is coming to work for this imbecile of an owner, with this attack dog media following the team, along with its justifiably furious fanbase. It’s a dead end job on a dead end franchise with brain dead ownership. 

And players will want out, too. For two third round picks, Reddick and Davante will both be gone next year. Reddick will be a free agent, and all Adams has to do is refuse to renegotiate and he’ll be one, too. Rodgers is done. Garrett Wilson hates it here, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he holds out in lieu of a major raise or a trade next year. That’s probably just the tip of the iceberg. 

I’ll tune in on Thursday because I love a good train wreck as much as anyone else, but I suspect I’ll be in bed before it’s over, just not giving a ****. 

PVO, amigos! 

This is not only the best post I have ever read of yours, but one of the best posts that I have ever read on this website.  I could not agree with you more.  I only wish I had written this post myself.

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

lol. Firing Saleh and trading for Adams is what really took down the franchise. Right. The Jets have had 3 five game losing streaks over the last 3 seasons. 2022 was actually 6 to close it out. It’s been dead for a while. Saleh was a horrendous hire.

lol exactly.  Woody was doing swell with the current plan/regime until he fired that Saleh guy.  The nerve!!!  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

From “PVO…or else” guy to apathy guy in 2 years.  It’s really impressive what the Jets can do to people.

I try to never bash someone for finally agreeing no matter how hostile they were beforehand. We should incentivate people for reversing positions based on evidence.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

lol. Firing Saleh and trading for Adams is what really took down the franchise. Right. The Jets have had 3 five game losing streaks over the last 3 seasons. 2022 was actually 6 to close it out. It’s been dead for a while. Saleh was a horrendous hire.

Meanwhile, Detroit is playing the most dominant football in the league.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

Just now, jgb said:

I try to never bash someone for finally agreeing no matter how hostile they were beforehand. We should incentivate people for reversing positions based on evidence.

I mean that’s fine but can these folks please stop acting like they’ve had an awakening to a Truth that no one else had acquired yet?  We’ve been here for years.  

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

On the other side of the coin:

-There are only 32 of these jobs (and 1 of them requires working for David Tepper).

-Money talks

Money talks, but the best candidates will always have better options.  That's the bottom line.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Agreed, but I think we can make an exception here, no?

Just seems that a big issue with modern society is people just refuse to ever back down no matter how much evidence piles up to prove they were wrong.

I don’t want the darksider boat to be as unwelcoming as the sunshiner boat — „if you’re a pessimist you don’t get to celebrate if the Jets win!”

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, jgb said:

Just seems that a big issue with modern society is people just refuse to even back down no matter how much evidence piles in to prove they were wrong.

I don’t want the darksider boat to be as unwelcoming as the sunshiner boat.

200.gif?cid=d9212ad9eljsnvbifgnr1dbrkpig

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

200.gif?cid=d9212ad9eljsnvbifgnr1dbrkpig

If you reverse the sunshiner position of „if you’re pessimistic you’re not allowed to celebrate with us if the Jets win,” it would be, „if you are optimistic you’re not allowed to commiserate with us if the Jets end up sucking.”

Both are equally stupid. I hate purity tests except in the pharmaceutical and food production businesses.

• Post of the Week 2

14 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's amazing to me how Saleh is now a sympathetic figure to many on here.  The guy was a disaster of a HC.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's amazing to me how Saleh is now a sympathetic figure to many on here.  The guy was a disaster of a HC.

Saleh had to go but I do think it’s fair to criticize the timing of it, as it is fair to question every decision Woody makes.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Just seems that a big issue with modern society is people just refuse to ever back down no matter how much evidence piles up to prove they were wrong.

I don’t want the darksider boat to be as unwelcoming as the sunshiner boat — „if you’re a pessimist you don’t get to celebrate if the Jets win!”

What?  We finally get a total eclipse and you want to welcome the sunshine back?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Yeah whenever a decision is made and things don’t change then I guess it’s natural. But the team stunk before Rodgers ever got here. Saleh was cringy and self serving. He also didn’t believe in training camp or preseason (unless that was directed by Woody too). 

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Saleh had to go but I do think it’s fair to criticize the timing of it, as it is fair to question every decision Woody makes.

I agree. But he had a 5 game losing streak last year. And the year before that too. On a real franchise that gets you fired before it even gets to this point.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

If you reverse the sunshiner position of „if you’re pessimistic you’re not allowed to celebrate with us if the Jets win,” it would be, „if you are optimistic you’re not allowed to commiserate with us if the Jets end up sucking.”

Both are equally stupid. I hate purity tests except in the pharmaceutical or food production businesses.

Excellent posts.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

What?  We finally get a total eclipse and you want to welcome the sunshine back?

If the Jets are gonna suck we might as well make it fun to lose!

That inept 2020 season was the most fun one for me, by far, since our last actual good season in 2015.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Saleh’s stock goes up with every Jets’ loss. They burned three timeouts in the first quarter yesterday, lmfao. I’d’ve been fine with them firing him last January or this December, but five games into the season with first place in the division in sight? Woody just announced to the league that he is, indeed, the clown everyone thought he was. He made a bad situation unmistakably worse. 

• Post of the Week 1

The day that Woody hired Idzik but kept Rex Ryan was the day I took a huge emotional step back from being a Jets fan. I remember the day and the situation so clearly. 

I was an all in Jets fan, during football season, my life revolved around Jets games, i would look at the calendar before making plans during football season. My mood was better or worse depending on how the Jets played that week.

That one day and moment changed everything for me for the better. 

I watch the Jets, i root for the Jets, I follow the Jets, but I don't spend one cent on the Jets anymore, and I have no emotional tie anymore to the Jets.

I realized that day that as long as Woody was around, the Jets would never be a serious contender. So now they are more of a habit than anything. Its a much easier way to be a Jets fan

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah whenever a decision is made and things don’t change then I guess it’s natural. But the team stunk before Rodgers ever got here. Saleh was cringy and self serving. He also didn’t believe in training camp or preseason (unless that was directed by Woody too). 

Remember when Saleh was too lazy (maybe he was on a golf trip?) to attend the combine?

https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/new-york-jets-robert-saleh-joe-douglas-combine-attendance-guilt-trip-scouting

Jets' Robert Saleh Making Guilt Trip to NFL Combine?
New York Jets' head coach Robert Saleh is doing an about face and traveling to Indianapolis for the NFL Combine this weekend, according to GM Joe Douglas.
Ralph Ventre | Mar 1, 2024
In this story:
New York Jets

The outrage can subside amongst New York Jets' critics. Head coach Robert Saleh isn't blowing off the NFL Combine after all.

After it was reported that he would be amongst the growing list of head coaches who are passing up the opportunity to visit Indianapolis, Saleh has apparently experienced a change of heart and a recent conversation with general manager Joe Douglas seems to be the culprit.

"I guess you can label this as breaking news. Me and Robert talk all the time, had a good discussion recently and there’s some good meetings coming up, some good opportunities coming up, so he’s going to be here Saturday. He'll be here Saturday, Sunday," said Douglas during his scheduled media availability on Wednesday in Indianapolis.

Saleh, now in his fourth year as head coach, did not attend the 2023 NFL Combine, but he did hold a media availability at Jets' headquarters that week. Heading to Indianapolis for some weekend work with his general manager, it's unclear when Saleh will next speak to reporters.

"Just a good conversation that we had the other day, and after we had a couple of meetings lined up and a couple interesting situations could present themselves, so, he decided to come out for a couple days," said Douglas. "He thought, we both thought it was a good opportunity to meet with some people and kind of explore that landscape that I keep talking about."

Douglas and his staff have important work ahead of them, identifying potential plug-and-play prospects who can make immediate contributions to a team in win-now mode.

Jets' Joe Douglas Can't Make Same Mistake This Draft
"We do have coaches here. Tony Dews is here right now and he’s going to be at the running back workout. We have more coaches coming for the workouts," said Douglas on Wednesday.

Saleh has faced criticism for the team's 18-33 record under his watch as well as its continued offensive struggles. The Jets, who ranked 31st in total offense (268.6), have multiple holes to fill around quarterback Aaron Rodgers. With three open spots on the offensive line, New York, in all likelihood, needs to find a Week 1 starter with its first-round pick.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

Saleh’s stock goes up with every Jets’ loss. They burned three timeouts in the first quarter yesterday, lmfao. I’d’ve been fine with them firing him last January or this December, but five games into the season with first place in the division in sight? Woody just announced to the league that he, indeed, is the clown everyone thought he was. He made a bad situation unmistakably worse. 

It's to our benefit if another team is dumb enough to hire him as their HC.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's to our benefit if another team is dumb enough to hire him as their HC.

He may never get that opportunity, but he was the best defensive mind on the staff. Unlike the Maccagnans, Manginis, and Gases of the world, he’ll continue to be gainfully employed by the league. 

• Upvote 1