Jaws: Kellen Clemens = Steal of the draft

Green Jets & Ham

NY POST

STEAL OF THE DRAFT

JAWS HAD JETS CLEMENS RATED NO. 1 QB

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Ron Jaworski knows quarterbacks. He was a pretty good one in college, carved out a solid NFL career, and takes a lot of pride in his breakdown of QBs in his current role as an ESPN analyst.

Ask him about Kellen Clemens, the Jets' second-round pick out of Oregon, and you might be inclined to jump out of your shoes if you're a Jets fan.

"I watched every game of his college career, every throw he made, and based on game performance I had him rated No. 1 amongst the quarterbacks in this draft," Jaworski said of Clemens in a phone interview with The Post.

"I looked at one game and put my evaluation down and then looked at another and another, and as time went on I was blown away.

"One thing I heard about the guy is that he's only 6-1 5/8. To that my next question was, 'Did you see the guy play?' "

Clemens yesterday was unveiled in a Jets uniform for the first time, wearing No. 6 as the club began its weekend rookie mini-camp at Hofstra.

Asked about his aspirations about being the Jets' starting quarterback, Clemens said, "I'd love to someday, but right now I've got a lot of work to do before I can really go out and contribute the way the Jets need to me to."

Asked to describe himself as a quarterback, Clemens said, "A team leader sort of guy, a competitor. I try not to talk about me too much."

Naysayers are quick to point out that Clemens is only about a half-inch taller than Brooks Bollinger, the third-string QB who became the Jets' starter last year when Chad Pennington and Jay Fiedler were lost for the season in Week 3.

"It's not even close between [Clemens] and Bollinger and I don't mean to demean Brooks, because he can be a serviceable backup in this league," Jaworski said. "But Clemens is about 20 pounds heavier than Bollinger, has a much stronger arm, and has really strong legs and can break tackles. He doesn't go down easily."

Clemens was a more prolific passer in college than Bollinger, who was more a threat with his legs than his arm.

"Clemens has a quick release, a strong arm, can make multiple throws, does a great job processing information and finding the open receiver, has the anticipation you need," Jaworski said. "All of those things were there. The one negative I saw was I didn't think he was consistent enough with the deep ball.

"I saw nothing but upside. I had him at No. 1, ahead of [Matt] Leinart, [Jay] Cutler and [Vince] Young and everyone else until I saw the [NFL] Combine tapes and was concerned, because he wasn't healthy. That put up a little red flag."

Clemens, who missed the last several games of the 2005 season with a broken left fibula and wasn't 100 percent at the Combine, said yesterday that he's fine, recovered and ready to go.

"All the intangibles are there," Jaworski said. "I talked to a number of coaches that worked him out and put him to the chalkboard and they were blown away by him. Seven or eight NFL head coaches said, from the neck up, this guy is the best guy in the draft."

NY POST

I like this quote from Mangini....

Although Mangini said he did not want to single out any player who shined or flopped their first day in the NFL, he did admit that quarterback Kellen Clemens displayed some strong leadership qualities in the afternoon session. When guys were misaligned on the line of scrimmage, the second round draft pick would direct them where to go.

Although Mangini said he did not want to single out any player who shined or flopped their first day in the NFL, he did admit that quarterback Kellen Clemens displayed some strong leadership qualities in the afternoon session. When guys were misaligned on the line of scrimmage, the second round draft pick would direct them where to go.

A solid quote that has to make you happy about our future at QB.:cheers:

wouldnt it be great if CLEMENS beats out both RAMSEY and CHAD :cheers:

If the Jets were so wild about Kellen Clemens why were they trying desperately to trade up to #9 to get Leinart?

In the off-season we could have gotten Daunte Culpepper, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler but instead we settle for Kellen ****ing Clemens? Just because the guy's last name is Clemens doesn't mean he has a good arm. If Ron Jaworski's opinion is infallible maybe he should be the GM for the Jets instead of Mike Tanenbaum.

Enough with the rose-colored glasses guys. The Jets could have drafted Ryan Hart and you would be making stuff up about how he has a rocket arm and is the steal of the draft.

If the Jets were so wild about Kellen Clemens why were they trying desperately to trade up to #9 to get Leinart?

In the off-season we could have gotten Daunte Culpepper, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler but instead we settle for Kellen ****ing Clemens? Just because the guy's last name is Clemens doesn't mean he has a good arm. If Ron Jaworski's opinion is infallible maybe he should be the GM for the Jets instead of Mike Tanenbaum.

Enough with the rose-colored glasses guys. The Jets could have drafted Ryan Hart and you would be making stuff up about how he has a rocket arm and is the steal of the draft.

Jets were so desperate for Leinart at 9 that they didnt even offer their 2nd or 3rd rd pick to trade up for him.........good call peteynorth.

stop your f**king whining it`s getting tiresome!

Obviously, you are a glass half empty type of guy.

Kellen Clemens = Career Back-Up

We passed up a lot of quarterbacks this off-season to get this loser. Patrick Ramsey I can understand because we only gave up a 6th rounder for him but this Jay Fiedler clone is a bum. That's not being negative, that's being truthful.

Question: Why did we use a 2nd round pick on Kellen Clemens when we could have had the same thing by keeping Jay Fiedler for next year?

JayFiedler01.jpg

Come on already!!! How the hell can you compare the two? Fiedler was an undrafted free agent rookie with hardly a whisper coming out of Dartmouth.

Come on already!!! How the hell can you compare the two? Fiedler was an undrafted free agent rookie with hardly a whisper coming out of Dartmouth.

They both have similar type game. They're both undersized qb's who aren't "running qb's" but are mobile enough to run around a bit. They both don't have great arms and their forte is managing the offense.

They both have similar type game. They're both undersized qb's who aren't "running qb's" but are mobile enough to run around a bit. They both don't have great arms and their forte is managing the offense.

Really? I suggest you read the pre-draft analysis on both of these guys before coming to that conclusion.

That's where I park my Logging Truck..Weren't you there with 300 friends for a Stock investing Seminar??:D

Don't fan the fire Savage - Dickie K will be here telling us all how we really love that smelly Ferret but just don't want to own up to it. ;)

Really? I suggest you read the pre-draft analysis on both of these guys before coming to that conclusion.

Ok,

"Arm strength is only average at best...Does not have great size...Struggles with his accuracy...Not a great athlete...Doesn't throw the deep ball well...Is too quick to leave the pocket and run...Makes some poor decisions and will force the action...Needs to stay calm and in control of his emotions...Has a limited upside. "

"Was having a nice year before breaking his left ankle in October which ended his senior season...Lacks the physical tools you look for but makes up for it by doing the little things...May never be a starter but could develop into a solid #2 or #3. "

Ok,

"Arm strength is only average at best...Does not have great size...Struggles with his accuracy...Not a great athlete...Doesn't throw the deep ball well...Is too quick to leave the pocket and run...Makes some poor decisions and will force the action...Needs to stay calm and in control of his emotions...Has a limited upside. "

"Was having a nice year before breaking his left ankle in October which ended his senior season...Lacks the physical tools you look for but makes up for it by doing the little things...May never be a starter but could develop into a solid #2 or #3. "

Hey, try this on for size and get me a writeup for Fiedler coming out of Dartmouth...

Clemens is a very smart and fundamentally sound quarterback with a very quick and compact release and when he strides into his throws, he can make all the throws with very good zip. Clemens shows impressive ability to consistently step up and make big plays -- mostly with his arm, but occasionally with feet -- when it matters most; even vs. heavy pressure/blitzes. For Clemens to become the starter he is capable of being, he needs to stride into every throw he makes and do a better job of not forcing throws when he feels he has to make the big play. Overall, Clemens will probably get drafted much lower than anticipated because of his ankle injury, but he has the ability to become a very good NFL starter. Aside from Matt Leinart, Clemens might be the only other quarterback who is more ready mentally to step into the NFL and contribute early in his career.

Hey, try this on for size and get me a writeup for Fiedler coming out of Dartmouth...

Clemens is a very smart and fundamentally sound quarterback with a very quick and compact release and when he strides into his throws, he can make all the throws with very good zip. Clemens shows impressive ability to consistently step up and make big plays -- mostly with his arm, but occasionally with feet -- when it matters most; even vs. heavy pressure/blitzes. For Clemens to become the starter he is capable of being, he needs to stride into every throw he makes and do a better job of not forcing throws when he feels he has to make the big play. Overall, Clemens will probably get drafted much lower than anticipated because of his ankle injury, but he has the ability to become a very good NFL starter. Aside from Matt Leinart, Clemens might be the only other quarterback who is more ready mentally to step into the NFL and contribute early in his career.

And yada yada. We hear ya, Kellen Clemens is an amazing quarterback. Mike Tananbaum could have drafted Army's QB and you would be talking about how it was a great move.

Question: Why did we use a 2nd round pick on Kellen Clemens when we could have had the same thing by keeping Jay Fiedler for next year?

JayFiedler01.jpg

Hey douchebag, you didn't answer my question. Is your evaluation of Kellen Clemens based on the extensive game-tape you've watched?

Archived