Time to play Schlegel?

Preston Howley III

As far as the horrible run D is concerned, this should be priority number one all week for Mangini and Sutton.

Opposing RB's are blowing through the LOS and not getting touched until they have 5 yards and momentum going.

This is why we lost, bottom line.

In fact, what worries me most is our future opponents (starting with Jax) are looking at the game films and they can see, that all you have to do to win is just keep it on the ground and don't turn it over.

Is this a good place to say I'd rather have McClover?

I was thinking the same thing. Met a Jet fan in the bar yesterday and we talked about how shocked we were that he was cut. I don't think he's been picked up yet either.

what exactly are D Rob and Kimo doing?

This is a good question and the coaching staff I am sure is disappointed with both of these guy's play. Most times I have noticed teams are running at this side of the line of Kimo.

Guards are pulling and screening our linebackers.

Why not use one linebacker (Schlegel) to meet the guard at, or closer to the LOS? Take the guard out of the play, rather than let the guard take our lber out of the play.

Nice idea, but why Schlegel? Barton and Vilma are two of the guys on D that aren't horrible. Why bench Barton? Why not let the DL try to shoot the gaps. DRob made some plays this week, not matter what any of you say. Maybe they let him loose a little. Seems like they couldn't stop the run. When they adjusted they couldn't stop the pass. Maybe the personnel, but I don't think Schlegel is the answer.

OTOH, I wasn't a big fan of Cotchery or Houston and they proved me wrong.

I think it maybe time to at least give Schlegel a chance to play as a backup so that if teams are running all over our D they could at least put him in so they could see what he could do. Sutton/ Mangini already sub Kassell in for Barton when they get tired of seeing teams run over him but it hasnt made any appreciable difference. Why not dress Schlegel and give him a shot at this job?

As for Chatham not dressing, I wouldnt hold your breath. I dont think that they are likely to sit a guy that is the one of the special teams captains.

On a similar subject, I thought that Cody Spencer looked good as Myer's replacement on Special Teams. He was in on two tackles which is more than Myers was in on in three games. Looks like Leberfeld's "the coaches were dishonest with Myers" rant from last Thursday was as dead wrong as it could be. Not only did Schlegel not start in place of Myers, but Spencer, who did, made an immediate impact.

As far as the horrible run D is concerned, this should be priority number one all week for Mangini and Sutton.

Opposing RB's are blowing through the LOS and not getting touched until they have 5 yards and momentum going.

In fact, what worries me most is our future opponents (starting with Jax) are looking at the game films and they can see, that all you have to do to win is just keep it on the ground and don't turn it over.

I wish Pouha didnt get injured. He cant be worse than Drob at NT.

I like your thinking here, Jetmo. If Schelgel keeps shining in practice, he should get some playing time and Barton should move over to OLB, replacing Hobson who sucks.

Here is what I would do. Since Drob's ability does not force offenses to double team him, which is ideally what you look for from a NT, I'd line up DRob between the center and the strong side guard. At the snap of the ball, DRob just needs to try to shoot the gap. Forget the hold and read two gap technique. Just have him try to blast his way thru that single gap. This would take advantage of his quickness and strength and avoid his inability to stand up a blocker and disengaging from the block. His athletic ability will force the center and guard to double team him most of the time.

But what do I know. I never stayed at a Holiday Inn. :)

The reason why the Jets run defense is so poor is because we have no one to play Nose Tackle in Mangini's 3-4 scheme. Bottom Line.

Playing a slow piece of crap like Anthony Schlegel isn't going to help. If anything, it will hurt the pass defense. Only reason this guy looked good in college was because he played with AJ Hawk and Bobby Carpenter. Jets need to get a real NT next off-season. Can't run the ball and definitely can't stop the run.

If it wasn't for Chad Pennington's heroics we would be 0-4.

Pete and Southern Jet:

I bet the Jets are really sorry they let two expert talent evaluators like you go. Man they really could have saved themselves a pick if they hadnt listened to idiots like Mangini, Sutton and Cox about linebacker talent.

As for Schlegel only looking good because of Hawk and Carpenter it might interest you to know that Schlegel's college coach, Jim Tressell (maybe you've heard of him) said at the begining of this season that Schlegel was one of the reasons for the success of Hawk and Carpenter. This is probably meaningless to you because you are obviously more informed than the coaches.

Your opinions are of course your own and you have a right to them, but if you insist of sharing them try to back them up with something besides your own uninformed generalizations.

Schlegel was drafted because of his run stopping abilities. I dont think its unreasonable to expect the Jets to give him a chance to see what he can do.

Pete and Southern Jet:

I bet the Jets are really sorry they let two expert talent evaluators like you go. Man they really could have saved themselves a pick if they hadnt listened to idiots like Mangini, Sutton and Cox about linebacker talent.

As for Schlegel only looking good because of Hawk and Carpenter it might interest you to know that Schlegel's college coach, Jim Tressell (maybe you've heard of him) said at the begining of this season that Schlegel was one of the reasons for the success of Hawk and Carpenter. This is probably meaningless to you because you are obviously more informed than the coaches.

Your opinions are of course your own and you have a right to them, but if you insist of sharing them try to back them up with something besides your own uninformed generalizations.

Schlegel was drafted because of his run stopping abilities. I dont think its unreasonable to expect the Jets to give him a chance to see what he can do.

uh ok bobby beathard,,

nice to know u r here to guide us,,

proven fact,, for a high draft pick the kid is a bust to date,, will he ever contribute? maybe, but he is dissapointing so far..who cares what tressel says,, whats he gonna say? i hope u r not putting stock in what that turd tressel says anyways, OSU is the FSU of the North,, thugville,,

if u want all roses and champagne go to JI or TGG

actually agree with pedro on this one..

cant fathom Jets didnt see this on film,, he benefited from 2 allamericans covering his flanks

I also agree with pete. We need a NT, preferably a stud.

And Gib, it's not unfair to say that Schleigel benefitted from Carpenter and Hawke, just as they benefitted some from his play. But imo, he was the third best LB in that crew; he didnt impress me in tc, as i dont remember saying too much about him.

uh ok bobby beathard,,

nice to know u r here to guide us,,

proven fact,, for a high draft pick the kid is a bust to date,, will he ever contribute? maybe, but he is dissapointing so far..who cares what tressel says,, whats he gonna say? i hope u r not putting stock in what that turd tressel says anyways, OSU is the FSU of the North,, thugville,,

if u want all roses and champagne go to JI or TGG

First:

Maybe you missed the point of the Tressell comment -- or maybe you dont read so well. Tressell said this at the begining of this year -- when Schlegel, Hawk and Carpenter were gone, not when they were all on the team. In other words, he had no reason to try to make Schlegel sound good.

I put more stock in what Tressell says about football players abilities and talents than I do in the ravings of an uninformed football wanna be with internet access.

Second:

Your argument lacks logic (not to mention intellegence).

On the one hand you say that Schlegel has been a bust and that he is a dissapointment because he hasnt played and on the other hand your against him getting to play. That doesnt make sense. Essentially you've set up a Catch-22.

I also agree with pete. We need a NT, preferably a stud.

And Gib, it's not unfair to say that Schleigel benefitted from Carpenter and Hawke, just as they benefitted some from his play. But imo, he was the third best LB in that crew; he didnt impress me in tc, as i dont remember saying too much about him.

Jetcane:

I never said that Schelgel didnt benefit from playing with Hawk and Carpenter. I was merely refuting the idea that he only looked good because he played with Hawk and Carpenter. This according to Coach Tressell is the opposite of what was actually true.

Jetcane:

I never said that Schelgel didnt benefit from playing with Hawk and Carpenter. I was merely refuting the idea that he only looked good because he played with Hawk and Carpenter. This according to Coach Tressell is the opposite of what was actually true.

So far he hasnt lived up to Tressel's puffing.

So far he hasnt lived up to Tressel's puffing.

Tressell wasnt talking about his impact on the Jets, he was talking about his impact on the Buckeye's last year. Which is why I used the Tressell information to refute the statement that Schlegel just looked good because of Hawk and Carpenter last year.

First:

Maybe you missed the point of the Tressell comment -- or maybe you dont read so well. Tressell said this at the begining of this year -- when Schlegel, Hawk and Carpenter were gone, not when they were all on the team. In other words, he had no reason to try to make Schlegel sound good.

I put more stock in what Tressell says about football players abilities and talents than I do in the ravings of an uninformed football wanna be with internet access.

Second:

Your argument lacks logic (not to mention intellegence).

On the one hand you say that Schlegel has been a bust and that he is a dissapointment because he hasnt played and on the other hand your against him getting to play. That doesnt make sense. Essentially you've set up a Catch-22.

listen bobby buckeye,

tressel has every reason to laud explayers to influence future recruits,, why would any excoach say anything bad,,

2nd, schelgel has had multile opportunities to impress by his play in practice,, hasnt cut it,,plain and simple,,

3rd,, what makes your likewise butt licking ''ravings of an uninformed football wanna be with internet access'. so much more valid than mine?

thats right, zilch..

get over yourself skipper

listen bobby buckeye,

tressel has every reason to laud explayers to influence future recruits,, why would any excoach say anything bad,,

2nd, schelgel has had multile opportunities to impress by his play in practice,, hasnt cut it,,plain and simple,,

3rd,, what makes your likewise butt licking ''ravings of an uninformed football wanna be with internet access'. so much more valid than mine?

thats right, zilch..

get over yourself skipper

What makes my opinion more valid than yours is that I attempt to back mine up with actual information and logical arguments.

I'll type slow so maybe you'll get the point of the Jim Tressell quote I referenced this time:

Someone said that Schlegel only looked good because he got to play with Hawk and Carpenter (you or Pete North 09 refered to him as a piece of crap). I merely pointed out that when asked what was missing from this years Buckeye defense before the season started coach Tressell mentioned Schlegel -- not Carpenter, Hawk, Whitner etc -- and said that he was instrumental in helping those guys be in position to make big plays. He wasnt talking to the press about past players or trying to "puff up" his players before the draft. He was talking about an important ingredient in last years Buckeye defense. Which to me means that he feels that Schlegel did at least as much to help Hawk and Carpenter as they did to help him. This then refutes the claim that you or Pete made that Schlegel only looked good because of Hawk and Carpenter.

I'm not at the Jets practices (neither are you I suspect) but I wouldnt imagine Schlegel gets a lot of reps given the fact that he plays the same position as a Pro Bowler, and 8 year veteran and a 5 year veteran. Since he is a rookie I'm sure he has had to learn things that those guys learned in the course of their careers. The Jets are deep at ILB. Which one of these three guys -- Vilma, Barton, or Kassell -- did you expect Schlegel to have beaten out 4 games into his pro career? That said if the Jets run D doesnt improve I think they will find a way to give him his shot.

The simple fact is this, Mangini has proven himself to give every player an opportunity to win a starting job or al teast some playing time. Schlegel has done nothing in Mangini's eyes to earn it, therefore I have to believe that schlegel has been a pretty big dissappointment thus far.

What makes my opinion more valid than yours is that I attempt to back mine up with actual information and logical arguments.

I'll type slow so maybe you'll get the point of the Jim Tressell quote I referenced this time:

Someone said that Schlegel only looked good because he got to play with Hawk and Carpenter (you or Pete North 09 refered to him as a piece of crap). I merely pointed out that when asked what was missing from this years Buckeye defense before the season started coach Tressell mentioned Schlegel -- not Carpenter, Hawk, Whitner etc -- and said that he was instrumental in helping those guys be in position to make big plays. He wasnt talking to the press about past players or trying to "puff up" his players before the draft. He was talking about an important ingredient in last years Buckeye defense. Which to me means that he feels that Schlegel did at least as much to help Hawk and Carpenter as they did to help him. This then refutes the claim that you or Pete made that Schlegel only looked good because of Hawk and Carpenter.

I'm not at the Jets practices (neither are you I suspect) but I wouldnt imagine Schlegel gets a lot of reps given the fact that he plays the same position as a Pro Bowler, and 8 year veteran and a 5 year veteran. Since he is a rookie I'm sure he has had to learn things that those guys learned in the course of their careers. The Jets are deep at ILB. Which one of these three guys -- Vilma, Barton, or Kassell -- did you expect Schlegel to have beaten out 4 games into his pro career? That said if the Jets run D doesnt improve I think they will find a way to give him his shot.

refutes the claim????

is schelgel playing? is he 2nd string even????

who cares what tressel says,, proof is in pudding,,

he was his coach for gods sake,,

i beleive the fact that schegel isnt on field or even 2nd string, more that what tressel says about a explayer,,

gee,, is that a hard concept? shoudl we start schelgel cause Tressel says he was a swell guy?

Archived