B.J. Askew

ECURB

Will he be here next year? Mangini could have cut him and drafted a FB last year or picked done up but he must have seen something in him...

He started 5 games this year and played in 13 games with a grand total of 11 rushing yards...

He will probably get cut.

However, somehow I have a hard time thinking you really want into get into a hardcore BJ Askew discussion, and that this topic is merely a throwaway you posted to make it look like you post about things other than Chad.

He will probably get cut.

However, somehow I have a hard time thinking you really want into get into a hardcore BJ Askew discussion, and that this topic is merely a throwaway you posted to make it look like you post about things other than Chad.

No actually Im really curious about it, becuase its crucial to our run game. Obviously he did something to make Mangini keep him around, but he is too slow to be a RB and not big enough to be a FB... what is he?

I like him but it seems like we will almost have to improve the FB position to help our run game... unless of course we get LT... which isnt happening.. sooo what do we do about Askew?

Does he have trade value? 7th rounder?

Fullbacks don't have trade value. Especially not this one.

True, so whats his salary like? He knows the system so there is a good chance he will be around, or will Hodgins take his roster spot, I hear he was better when healthy and he stayed healthy this year.

After watching the texans game in full and in detail,one of the main reasons we only got 27 yards rushing was that Hodgins was atrocious at full back,I don't think he successfully blocked anyone all game.

On the flip side,one of the biggest reasons we had success against the pack in the first half was that BJ askew successfully blocked a defender on almost every run play.I've yet to watch the second half of the game but his play in that half means I'm going to keep an eye on him for the second half and all the ther games I've still to watch.

After watching the texans game in full and in detail,one of the main reasons we only got 27 yards rushing was that Hodgins was atrocious at full back,I don't think he successfully blocked anyone all game.

On the flip side,one of the biggest reasons we had success against the pack in the first half was that BJ askew successfully blocked a defender on almost every run play.I've yet to watch the second half of the game but his play in that half means I'm going to keep an eye on him for the second half and all the ther games I've still to watch.

Interesting...

I never watch where the FB is blocking too closely... thats why I wasnt sure... and it seemed Mangini was giving Hodgins a shot at it but Always went back to Askew...

Is it simply that he could not find a good enough upgrade or does he actually like BJ and think he can get the job done?

Bring on Brian Leonard from Rutgers

I have heard him mentioned a few times...

He is the same size as askew but looking at his #'s, all except his senoir year he looked like a playmaker too, he had over 1000 all purpose yards his 1st 3 years....

Ill jump on that bandwagon as long as he can block.

I have heard him mentioned a few times...

He is the same size as askew but looking at his #'s, all except his senoir year he looked like a playmaker too, he had over 1000 all purpose yards his 1st 3 years....

Ill jump on that bandwagon as long as he can block.

Who do you think blocked this year for Ray Rice- I rest my case

Who do you think blocked this year for Ray Rice- I rest my case

What were the teams they played like though? Did he have an easy job or was he going against big physical defenses?

I dont watch college ball at all but looking at this Kids #'s if he can block and has some speed/strength... wow would he be an upgrade of Askew

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it here... a good lead blocking FB would do wonders for our running game. And if he can help to protect the QB, it's even better.

But nobody in the NFL cares about FB's right now. They're out of fashion for some reason. So we won't draft, or trade for one. At best they'll pick up a cheap FA and hope that will help.

Hopefully BJ will be back next season as he can be a RB or a FB but with his injury problems late in the season and the bringing in of James Hodgins more and more each week it seems to me that he will probably be gone by Training Camp, unfortunately.

Askew was brought in to be a protege and contemporary of a Richie Anederson type FB for the Hackett offense.

ie-A FB whose primary value to the team is one that can come out of the backfield and catch a pass. The same mold of a Jerald Sowell.

The Jets got stereotyped into these types of FB's based upon the way Hackett would run the offense. They fell in love with that template.

I am not sure that is what Schott/Mangini see as being a FB's primary responsibilities.

Askew was brought in to be a protege and contemporary of a Richie Anederson type FB for the Hackett offense.

ie-A FB whose primary value to the team is one that can come out of the backfield and catch a pass. The same mold of a Jerald Sowell.

The Jets got stereotyped into these types of FB's based upon the way Hackett would run the offense. They fell in love with that template.

I am not sure that is what Schott/Mangini see as being a FB's primary responsibilities.

waterboy.jpg

What were the teams they played like though? Did he have an easy job or was he going against big physical defenses?

I dont watch college ball at all but looking at this Kids #'s if he can block and has some speed/strength... wow would he be an upgrade of Askew

I heard the reason why BJ's here is because he is helping Chad with painting his $65 million dollar mansion in the Hamptons.....

Askew blows. #1 priority of a FB is blocking, and (though he has improved) he's still lousy at it. Absent that attribute, any others he has don't matter.

SE-You have to remember the offensive philosophy that Askew was brought in for-It was one where the full back had major responsibilities in the passing game- Remember the # of catches by Anderson and Sowell?

When Askew was drafted, I believe both Anderson and Askew were FA's, and teh Jets did not know what was happening with both. Askew was a knee jerk draft pick to safe guard themselves and have a continuim in their scheme.

That does not make him right for todays offense, just an explanation to how he got here and why.

Archived